PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Memorial Day 2005

Trip_Wire (RIP)
05-29-2005, 12:18
This was sent to me by a good friend a Vietnam Vet & AF Commando:

To Brothers: Some Thoughts on Memorial Day

It happens every year, without fail, as it has for now more than thirty years: Memorial Day arrives in my brain with a glance at the calendar, or with a television news reminder. An early morning ceremony will be held at a National Cemetery, a parade will wind through town to City Hall, a festival will be held at a city park.

I almost always think to myself, “I should make the effort, get up and get my family and attend one of these ceremonies. After all, I am a military veteran, a military veteran of war, no less.

I’ve thought about dusting off my old dress uniform – except they don’t quite fit any longer, something about the shoulders, the waist and the sleeves that must have severely shrunk in all those years of hanging quietly in the closet.

But I never have done those things I’ve thought of doing, of actually attending a Memorial Day observance. Instead, my mind silently plays back the memories, like a movie screen; the days of my own military service, and of friends, both dead and alive, those well-adjusted and those still crazy – after all these years.

I remember sitting on a hotel roof-top in a far-away and exotic land, sometime long after mid-night. Just a few of us, boy-men who knew each other better than our mothers or fathers or brothers or sisters or girlfriends knew us. We sat, dangling our feet over the rooftop edge, bottles of warm, nearly tasteless beer in hand, laughing over silly and frighteningly serious things, watching the eerie lights of distant firefights and the strange, far-away echo of big guns, booming in the night.

We joked up there on that rooftop, and we laughed as we recounted the absurdity of our lives and of the disappearances of guys who fleetingly passed through our experiences and were gone, like the sudden flame of a match, flaming and then extinguished by a quick and unseen breeze.

We laughed, and we wondered where the tears came from in the midst of our laughter.

We brushed those tears away with another swig of flat and flavorless beer and we moved on. Our motto was pretty much summed up in the acronym, “FIDO”: Forget It and Drive On.”

Another line we used – overused – was “It Don’t Mean Nothin’.”

But now I’m thirty-five years older; a lifetime seems to have passed since those days, but still I remember. My mind won’t let go of the picture of young men’s faces, animated with tears and fears and laughter and sorrow and hope and despair, all rolled into one single image that made us all seem at once like we were a hundred years old and seventeen; all at the same time.

And it’s to those young faces and younger hearts – some of them now still, ageless, untouched by the uncertainties of growing older, of watching their own children become adults, of becoming grandfathers and retirees – old “geezers” with pointless war stories and memories of boys dangling their feet over the edge of a hotel roof in some far away, exotic night that I celebrate this Day, alone, away from the marching bands and the fluttering flags and the grand, inspired speeches.

Here, in the quiet mausoleum of my mind, and in the hushed hallways of my own remembrance, I remember. I remember, and I shall not forget "’These’ few, these happy few, ‘this’ band of brothers . . . .”

Here’s to all of you

HooYah!

Greg

29 May 2005

The Reaper
05-29-2005, 12:30
I just got this this morning.

I know that they missed some, like Ted Williams.

Thanks, brothers, for your service.

TR

Subject: WWII Heroes

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WW II MOVIE STARS
Hope you find this as informative as I did, be sure to scroll to the bottom.

In contrast to the ideals, opinions and feelings of today's "Hollywonk" the real actors of yester-year loved the United States.

They had both class and integrity. With the advent of World War II many of our actors went to fight rather than stand and rant against this country we all love.

They gave up their wealth, position and fame to become service men & women, many as simple "enlisted men".

This page lists but a few, but from this group of only 18 men came over 70 medals in honor of their valor, spanning from Bronze Stars, Silver Stars, Distinguish Service Cross', Purple Hearts and one Congressional Medal of Honor.

So remember; while the "Entertainers of 2004" have been in all of the news media lately I would like to remind the people of what the entertainers of 1943 were doing, (61 years ago).

Most of these brave men have since passed on.

Real Hollywood Heros

Alec Guinness (Star Wars) operated a British Royal Navy landing craft on
D-Day.

James Doohan ("Scotty" on Star Trek) landed in Normandy with the U. S.
Army on D-Day.

Donald Pleasance (The Great Escape) really was an R. A. F. pilot who was shot down, held prisoner and tortured by the Germans.

David Niven was a Sandhurst graduate and Lt. Colonel of the British Commandos in Normandy.

James Stewart Entered the Army Air Force as a private and worked his way to the rank of Colonel.

During World War II, Stewart served as a bomber pilot, his service record crediting him with leading more than 20 missions over Germany, and taking part in hundreds of air strikes during his tour of duty.

Stewart earned the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, France's Croix de Guerre, and 7 Battle Stars during World War II.

In peace time, Stewart continued to be an active member of the Air Force as a reservist, reaching the rank of Brigadier General before retiring in the late 1950s.

Clark Gable (Mega-Movie Star when war broke out) Although he was beyond the draft age at the time the U.S. entered WW II, Clark Gable enlisted as a private in the AAF on Aug. 12, 1942 at Los Angeles.

He attended the Officers' CandidateSchool at Miami Beach, Fla. and graduated as a second lieutenant on Oct. 28, 1942.

He then attended aerial gunnery school and in Feb. 1943 he was assigned to the 351st Bomb Group at Polebrook where flew operational missions over Europe in B-17s.

Capt. Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved from active duty as a major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since he was over-age for combat.

Charlton Heston was an Army Air Corps Sergeant in Kodiak.

Earnest Borgnine was a U. S. Navy Gunners Mate 1935-1945.

Charles Durning was a U. S. Army Ranger at Normandy earning a Silver Star and awarded the Purple Heart.

Charles Bronson was a tail gunner in the Army Air Corps, more specifically on B-29s in the 20th Air Force out of Guam, Tinian, and Saipan.

George C. Scott was a decorated U. S. Marine.

Eddie Albert (Green Acres TV) was awarded a Bronze Star for his heroic action as a U. S. Naval officer aiding Marines at the horrific battle on the island of Tarawa in the Pacific Nov. 1943.

Brian Keith served as a U.S. Marine rear gunner in several actions against the Japanese on Rabal in the Pacific.

Lee Marvin was a U.S. Marine on Saipan during the Marianas campaign when he was wounded earning the Purple Heart.

John Russell: In 1942, he enlisted in the Marine Corps where he received a battlefield commission and was wounded and highly decorated for valor at Guadalcanal.

Robert Ryan was a U. S. Marine who served with the O. S. S. in Yugoslavia.

Tyrone Power (an established movie star when Pearl Harbor was bombed) joined the U.S. Marines, was a pilot flying supplies into, and wounded Marines out of, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

Audie Murphy, little 5'5" tall 110 pound guy from Texas who played cowboy parts?
Most Decorated serviceman of WWII and earned: Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, 2 Silver Star Medals, Legion of Merit, 2 Bronze Star Medals with "V", 2 Purple Hearts, U.S. Army Outstanding Civilian Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, 2 Distinguished Unit Emblems, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with One Silver Star, Four Bronze Service Stars (representing nine campaigns) and one Bronze Arrowhead (representing assault landing at Sicily and Southern France) World War II Victory Medal Army of Occupation Medal with Germany Clasp, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Combat Infantry Badge, Marksman Badge with Rifle Bar, Expert Badge with Bayonet Bar, French Fourragere in Colors of the Croix de Guerre, French Legion of Honor, Grade of Chevalier, French Croix de Guerre With Silver Star, French Croix de Guerre with Palm, Medal of Liberated France, Belgian Croix de Guerre 1940 Palm.

So how do you feel the real heroes of the silver screen acted when compared to the hollywonks today who spray out anti-American drivel as they bite the hand that feeds them? Can you imagine these stars of yester-year saying they hate our flag, making anti-war speeches, marching in anti-American parades and saying they hate our president?

I thought not, neither did I!

echoes
05-30-2005, 09:12
Good morning to all on this Memorial Day. Being a simple civilian, I just wanted to say Thank You to You all, and it cannot be said enough.
America's service men and women will never be forgotten, and today is a reminder for my little family of just how precious life is.
You are America's Finest, and we appreciate each and every one of You!

Holly

The Reaper
05-30-2005, 09:19
I had to add this on Memorial Day, one of my favorite quotes:

"This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Henry V (4.3.43-70), Henry V to Westmorland

eva05
05-30-2005, 09:35
I don't post here that often, I mostly just lurk and read about gear, war stories and the like :)

But this morning I did want to say thank you for all that you folks have done and continue to do for our country.

Peace to you and yours on this Memorial Day.

j

Roguish Lawyer
05-30-2005, 09:42
Thanks to all for your service, and RIP to those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom.

lksteve
05-30-2005, 11:11
i've been hesitant to post in this thread, in regards to this day...TRs post regarding the movie stars of the WWII era is the catalyst (that's right, blame it on someone else)...but let me put some things right at the start...to those who went before me, let me extend my gratitude for you service and your example...for those who went with me, let me extend my gratitude for your camaraderie...i knew someone always had my six covered...for those of you who serve now, thanks...a lot...for those who are here to support those serving, i am not sure i can express how much it means to me, thanks...

my father served as an infantryman in WWII (Panama and the Pacific theater), Korea (August 50-51, 17th Infantry Regiment) and Vietnam (68-69, MAC-V, Tay Ninh Province)...he served in Berlin (62-65) during a tense period in our history...he is buried at Andersonville National Cemetary, not far from the entrance to the site under a live oak tree...Three CIBs, never wounded (although he had a watch shot off his wrist at Inchon), small of stature and left-handed, he died of lung cancer 10 summers ago...there was a bulldog of a counselor (a woman with no military service) who discounted the pack-and-a-half of Kools dad smoked daily for sixty years and won a determination that the cancer was caused, in whole or in part, by exposure to Agent Orange, providing a more substantial pension for my mother...where ever that lady is, i am in her debt...

we lived in Chicago for awhile in my early childhood, as Dad was doing whatever he could to avoid the Appalachian coal mines...(he reentered service at the age of 43, as the Berlin Wall was being erected)...we lived on the South Side and were frequently in attendance at White Sox games at Comisky Park...Dad's favorite player was Ted Williams for reasons that took me entirely too long to understand, given my chosen profession...we went to at least one game during every weekend series the Red Sox were in town...looking back on those times, i'm glad we did...Dad would berate other athletes, stating when they had done what TW had done, he'd give them some time...Dad wasn't talking about TWs considerable accomplishments on the field..Dad was referring to his wartime service...Dad was fortunate enough to play regimental baseball with Marty Marion and Terry Miller (although he 'complained' that he had to move from SS to 2B when Marion came into the regiment) in Panama, before eventually moving on to the 6th ID at the tail end of the war...

my parents' favorite actor was Jimmy Stewart...i always liked his movies, but, once again, never saw the depth of their affection for the man...sometimes, i guess i'm a little dense...there was a bit of competition, though...my mother worked at a defense plant in Radford VA after graduating from high school...Audie Murphy came through on a War Bonds tour and she was allowed to touch the CMH around his neck...BTW, Audie Murphy was only slightly taller than Dad...anyway, not unlike TW, if a JS movie was on, we were there...must have seen every western he made growing up...later in life, i became partial to 'Shenandoah', as my father told me it was rather like his family's experience during the War of Northern Aggression...a historical footnote, we were in the Outpost Theater in West Berlin, watching 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance' November 22, 1963...i have never seen that movie all the way through to this date...

this day is rough on a lot of us...we've all lost friends along the way...not all of them died in combat...i am reminded often of the men from the 101st Airborne, returning from the Sinai in 1985 on Arrow Air 007, who crashed at Gander, Newfoundland...i knew every company grade officer on that aircraft...the captains had either gone to IOBC or IOAC with me and every lieutenant was in an IOBC class where i was the senior trainer...several of them were in my platoon...one young man, named Parks, from Montana, had a pretty little wife, his high school sweetheart...they were expecting a child as he was completing IOBC...RIP...

once again, thanks...

Stargazer
05-30-2005, 12:25
To the Fallen, their families and friends, I shall never forget the sacrifices made for each other and our country. You have my unwavering and eternal gratitude. You have served us well. I shall honor you always.

Martin
05-30-2005, 12:54
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save a backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.

Be not ashamed to say that you loved them, though you may or may not have always, take what they have taught you in their dying and keep it with your own.

And in a time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heros you left behind."
Major Michael O'Donnell
KIA: 24 March 1970
Dak To, Vietnam

Gypsy
05-30-2005, 15:46
My eternal gratitude to those who gave all in defense of freedom. For those of you who've suffered personal losses of your Brothers and family you my deepest sympathies and my heartfelt prayers. I shall never forget the sacrifices of so many...

aricbcool
05-30-2005, 20:46
There's so much to say on a day like this. Yet few words really do justice to its meaning.

I spent dinner with my Dad tonight. We had Burger King. No TV; he's moving on Wednesday. Just him and I and memories from a war gone by. He calls today decoration day, either out of stubborness or out of love for my Grandmother who always called it thus.

We talked about his tours, and compared the living conditions on a supply ship vs. an aircraft carrier cira 1969. Even though his career was cut short by cancer, (he's worn a hat every day since 1970 or so), he always talks with fondness about his Navy days. Still calls a bathroom a head and his bed a rack. And while it was no bullet or bomb, fire or steel that wounded him, he carries the effects of the war to this day.

For the sacrifices my family has made and the sacrifices made by brave and determined men from the beginning of this country to now, I say two words that ring hollow against the blood and tears and time and things that could never be. Two words that are all I can give today.

Thank You.

lrd
07-23-2005, 05:04
James Doohan died this past Wednesday morning.

Rest in Peace, Lt. Doohan.
James Doohan ("Scotty" on Star Trek) landed in Normandy with the U. S.
Army on D-Day.
A little more info from startrek.com:
Lt. Doohan successfully led his Canadian troop onto the beach and pushed inland to establish the best possible gun position (along the way Doohan shot two German snipers, never knowing whether he killed them). A field was secured and command posts were established, but not all Germans between the beach and their position had been captured. That night about 11:30, Doohan and another officer were walking between command posts when machine gun fire broke out. Doohan was hit; he fell into a shell hole, looked at his hand and saw blood. Three bullets struck the one finger. Never losing consciousness, he actually walked to the regimental aid post, unaware he also took four bullets in the leg.

There was an eighth bullet, and it was nothing less than a miracle that he's still with us today. It hit his chest, four inches from his heart. But it ricocheted off the sterling silver cigarette case in his pocket, the one his brother had given him for being best man at his wedding. It's like a trite plot twist, he acknowledges - his brother saved his life from thousands of miles away. Jimmy pushed the dent out of the cigarette case and continued using it until he quit smoking years later. He stayed in the military, learned to fly and came to be known as the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Forces.
His bio:
James Doohan
Portrays Montgomery "Scotty" Scott
Episode: TOS 002 - Where No Man Has Gone Before

James Doohan was best known to Star Trek fans as Scotty ("Montgomery Scott"), the chief engineer aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise, in the original Star Trek series.

Doohan was born on March 3, 1920, in Vancouver, British Columbia, and spent his early years in there and in Sarnia, Ontario. Surviving the anguish of living with an alcoholic father, he left home at age 19 to join the Canadian Forces, fighting with the Allies in World War II. After outscoring his fellow soldiers on an officer's exam, he became Captain in the Royal Canadian Artillery. While leading his men into battle on D-Day, Doohan was wounded in the leg and hand, and eventually lost a finger. For the remainder of the war, he became a pilot observer, and received the dubious distinction of being called the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Forces."

After returning home to Canada, Doohan performed a few scenes for the local radio station, and was awarded a two-year scholarship to the Neighborhood Playhouse in New York City. Beginning in 1946, he trained at the Playhouse with Sanford Meisner, alongside such future stars as Leslie Nielsen, Tony Randall and Jackie Gleason.

In the ensuing eight years, Doohan shuttled between New York and Canada where he worked on 4000 radio programs, 400 live and taped variety and dramatic television shows, several films and plays. Though he became known as Canada's busiest actor, he eventually found himself following other fellow actors in the pilgrimage to Hollywood. There, his versatility and talent as a dialectician helped him earn parts in more than 100 motion pictures and television series, including The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Fantasy Island, "Loaded Weapon 1" and "Double Trouble." He has also appeared in the first seven Star Trek motion pictures.

In the years since the final episode of Star Trek, Doohan has pursued a speaking career which has taken him to more than 250 colleges throughout the U.S. and Canada. In addition, he makes appearances at numerous Star Trek conventions.

Doohan lived in Redmond, Washington, with his wife Wende and his sons, Eric and Thomas. In April 2000, James and Wende gave birth to another child, Sarah.

James Doohan passed away on July 20, 2005 at his home. Wende, his wife of 28 years, was at his side.

MtnGoat
05-29-2006, 11:49
I was looking to see if anyone had started a Thread for Today - Nothing - So I thought of working off of this one.

This morning my wife opened the paper and a series of circulars fall onto the kitchen table – with logos like “Gaint Sale through Memorial Day only!” and “A Don’t Miss Memorial Day Sales Event!” Then on the front page is the wife of a fallen hero, a close of mine - and my wife points this all out. She was like, what has happen with this day, why has it all gone to the mighty dollar she said. We owe more than commerce to those who sacrificed their lives for their country. Nothing here about anything going on Downtown or anywhere.

Memorial Day is meant to be a solemn occasion, a uniquely military holiday—the only one that honors fallen soldiers. when flowers were placed on the graves of soldiers from both the North and the South, Memorial Day’s quiet reverence has slowly been lost to the noise of commerce and the American pursuit of recreation. This didn’t happen overnight; it snuck up on us. And it’s not necessarily the fault of the American people who time and again have proved themselves patriots.

For starters, the National Moment of Remembrance (http://www.remember.gov/remember/MomentofRemembrance/tabid/54/Default.aspx) resolution asks that at 3 PM local time on Memorial Day all Americans should “voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence.”
Wife and I will be taking the Kids out to show them what today is all about. My daughter (7 Y/o) asked us yesterday note what Memorial Day is for. We told her what is was and then she asked why - we told her why it was made and why we set the day aside for the lost of others. Kinda hard for her (7 y/o) to really take in.

I like when schools get there kids involved in school action programs - Patriots Patrol Program (http://www.remember.gov/EventsPrograms/PatriotsPatrol/tabid/107/Default.aspx)is A program sponsored by the White House Commission on the National Moment of Remembrance for elementary school children. This program was launched in December with a special project called "Pennies from Heaven". This project had the children collect pennies to help buy specially designed remembrance gifts for children who lost a loved one in the September 11th attacks. This positive act by the children was a way for them to respond to and cope with the impact of the tragedy.
The Patriots Patrol Program is designed to provide ways for children to put patriotism into action. It teaches them about patriotism and the American spirit, including the idea that even a small act, when we work together, can make our country stronger and able to endure anything. I like what this is trying to do, now if only more schools would do something like this.

3 PM LOCAL TIME (http://www.timeofremembrance.com/)

The National Moment of Remembrance (http://www.remember.gov/remember/MomentofRemembrance/tabid/54/Default.aspx), established by Congress, asks Americans wherever they are at 3 p.m., local time, on Memorial Day to pause in an act of national unity (duration: one minute).The time 3 p.m. was chosen because it is the time when most Americans are enjoying their freedoms on the national holiday. The Moment does not replace traditional Memorial Day events; rather it is an act of national unity in which all Americans, alone or with family and friends, honor those who died for our freedom. It will help to reclaim Memorial Day as the sacred and noble holiday it was meant to be. In this shared remembrance, we connect as Americans.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-29-2006, 12:20
Good Post MtnGoat. Thanks.

I absolutely hate what this day has become. Not only do we now observe it on the last Monday of May rather than the day it supposed to be but we do so to enable everyone to have a "long weekend" and celebrate the unofficial start of the summer season. There are very few who actually understand for whom this day stands. It belongs to those who fell on this Nation's field of battle---period. Like many of you my memories of those who fell for me or next to me visit me every waking hour of my days. Maybe it is a matter of getting on in years and having more time on my hands than I probably should have, but reflection on things that have been, that might have been, or that should have been bring me back to those with whom I have served and I have often wondered what, if anything, might I have done that would have allowed us to kick back and mutally share some memories rather than the hollow feeling deep down in my gut caused by memories of comrades forever lost.

jatx
05-29-2006, 14:02
The peripatetic life of a consultant has brought me to Northern New Jersey for the summer, a cool green oasis compared to my home in Dallas this time of year. Not three hunded yards from my hotel is the place where Washington spent the historic winter of 1779-80, a fact I'm reminded of daily by the brown roadside signs.

I dislike crowds, and so tend to avoid parades, but I did want to do something special this Memorial Day and to take advantage of being in this unique place. I decided to go on a day hike around Jockey Hollow, the area where Washington's troops spent month upon cold, miserable month, waiting for the thaw to begin and the fighting to start all over again. Few signs remain today of their sacrifice there. A few huts are maintained, the visitor's center has a video and set of displays to view, but the area is mostly used for recreation now.

Soft trails criss-cross the hollow, ground squirrels caper about, a young boy splashes in a stream as he chases a toad. The light filters softly down and this place seems completely at peace. That is the legacy of those half-frozen men, and every other veteran who has followed their example of self-sacrifice and duty.

Thanks once again from your grateful friend.

Gypsy
05-29-2006, 14:37
I was looking to see if anyone had started a Thread for Today - Nothing - So I thought of working off of this one.

I started one this morning MtnGoat, perhaps I should have worded the title better. http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10971

But this thread, your post and that of COL Moroney drives it home. The lack of understanding of what this hallowed day truly means is lost on too many of the masses.

hoepoe
05-29-2006, 23:26
My thoughts are with you on this day, remembering your fallen hero's and defenders of freedom and justice.

Hoepoe