PDA

View Full Version : SEAL Aquitted

Jo Sul
05-29-2005, 08:11
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/05/27/navy.prisoner.abuse.ap/index.html

SAN DIEGO, California (AP) -- A military jury acquitted a Navy SEAL lieutenant Friday of beating an Iraqi prisoner who later died.

Jurors deliberated about three hours before finding Lt. Andrew K. Ledford not guilty of all charges.

The 32-year-old SEAL had faced up to 11 years in military prison if he had been convicted of assault, dereliction of duty, conduct unbecoming an officer and making false statements.

Ledford, who had stood at attention for the verdict's reading, burst into a huge smile and embraced his attorney upon hearing he was acquitted.

"I think that's what makes this country great is that there is a system in place and it works," he said outside court.

Ledford's family, including his pregnant wife, wiped away tears as several SEALs who had served with him in Iraq applauded.

Navy prosecutors left the courtroom without commenting.

"I hope that someone receives a message from this outcome," Ledford's civilian attorney, Frank Spinner, told reporters. "That we have valiant warriors, brave SEALs, who put their lives on the line and they're human."

Prosecutors said that Ledford, 32, failed as a leader on a November 2003 mission after he and his men captured Manadel al-Jamadi, a suspect in the bombing of Red Cross offices in Baghdad that killed 12.

During a brief stop at an Army base, members of Ledford's SEAL platoon testified that they punched, kicked and struck al-Jamadi with muzzles of their rifles. Instead of ordering his men to halt the beating, Ledford accepted a subordinate's offer to "give this turd a knock" and punched the bound prisoner in the arm, Navy prosecutor Lt. Chad Olcott said.

No witness who appeared during the four-day court martial testified that they saw Ledford strike al-Jamadi. The only evidence of the punch came in Ledford's own sworn statement last year to Navy criminal investigators. On the witness stand Thursday, Ledford denied punching the detainee.

Eagle5US
05-29-2005, 10:04
Long live the courage of men who stand for what they believe, and defend it with their honor.
Well done Lieutenant, and kudos to your counselor.

Eagle

The Reaper
05-29-2005, 10:38
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/05/27/navy.prisoner.abuse.ap/index.html

Ledford accepted a subordinate's offer to "give this turd a knock" and punched the bound prisoner in the arm, Navy prosecutor Lt. Chad Olcott said.

A most heinous crime. Did he call him a bad name as well?

This is getting ridiculous.

TR

jasonglh
05-29-2005, 11:01
punched the bound prisoner in the arm

Wow I did not know the Navy adopted the local school districts zero tolerance policy on violence. :rolleyes:

Good to see justice prevailed although I wonder if his career is effectively over in the SEALs now?

lrd
05-29-2005, 11:46
Congratulations to Lt. Ledford and all who stood behind him.

Gypsy
05-29-2005, 20:45
Congratulations to Lt. Ledford and all who stood behind him.

Amen.

Goggles Pizano
05-30-2005, 08:52
Way to hang in there LT! :lifter