PDA

View Full Version : Spear Elcs?

KClapp
05-24-2005, 11:52
I am looking to upgrade my LBE from my current TLBV and LC2 gear. I've seen some pictures of the SPEAR ELCS, but I haven't heard much about it. Just wondering if any of you good folks have had any experience with it? If so, how does it compare to some of the other systems available from such companies as Tactical Tailor, BHI, HSGI, or Paraclete? Any information, observations, or recommendations you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Karl

The Reaper
05-24-2005, 11:55
What do you need it to do, where will you be wearing it, what will you need to carry, etc., etc.?

TR

Para
05-24-2005, 15:01
It's a modular LBV system. I don't think I would really classify it as anything special. What's the cost to purchase it on the civilian market? I use it as a back-up system when I ditch the armor for speed.

KClapp
05-24-2005, 15:23
Thanks for securing this in the proper forum.

Primary use at this point would be for IPSC and other sanctioned 3 gun matches. I am no longer on AD/ADT status, so no serious field use is expected. (But you never know with the OPTEMPO the way it is.) However, something that would work for both urban and wooded environments would be good. Most of the systems today appear configurable. Not exactly what I grew up with.

I see alot of different types of LBE. Assault vests, chest rigs, plate carriers, and of course the ELCS and MOLLE II issue systems. The TT two-piece MAV looks good, but I've had zero experience with any of these types of systems. I've also considered sticking with the TLBV but just upgrading the pouches from LC2 to the newer MALICE/MOLLE attachment systems with velcro closures. The newer chest rigs (like the TT MAV) seem to offer the ability to readily configure to mission requirements. Just not sure how comfortable it may be compared to others out there. Or if a chest rig is any good in a wooded or jungle environment. (I had an ol' Nam era Ranger ask me how anyone got into the prone with those rigs. :) )

Ranger Joes has the ELCS for $160. It's not quite the complete system, but very close. Most of the magazine, canteen, and GP pouches are there.

So, being very old school, I have no frame of reference for all this new HSLD gear. I'd definitely appreciate any advice you all may have to offer.

The Reaper
05-24-2005, 16:05
What do you want to carry?

TR

eggroll
05-24-2005, 18:02
KC

The Ranger Joe kits are knockoffs

that being said, for the role you're espousing, your best best is a 2 piece MAV or a rig from Patriot Performance.

ELCS would not serve you as well.

KClapp
05-25-2005, 14:45
What do you want to carry?

TR

8-12 5.56 30 round magazines
4-6 .45 ACP single stack magazines
M18 smoke
Lensatic compass
multitool
SF G2
Large first aid kit (not sure of nomenclature but the type the Marines issue)
2 pressure bandages (the type the Army issues)
1 cravat
cleaning kits for M4 and 1911
SF SC2 battery/bulb carrier
SF SC1 battery/bulb carrier
MRE
And soon an EGL Loppy dump pouch

That's what I normally carried on my TLBV plus a M12 holster with M9 (I carry a 1911 now that it's my POW I am using) and KBar with sheath. I now have a Safariland 6004 holster in place of the M12. Currently I run the 6004 and Kbar on a seperate belt from the one attached to the TLBV. It's a bit awkward, but it's what I have to work with currently. (The BN CSM wasn't real keen on non-standard LBE, so we had to go with what we were issued and that's why the TLBV.) Now that I'm retired, I thought it'd be interesting to try the new HSLD stuff.

And thanks Egg. The TT 2 piece MAV does look very interesting.

lurp
06-10-2005, 16:40
Hi guys

A frind of mine use the TT 2-mav, and he is very happy with it, in urban or woody use ;)

My self is very happy with the HSGI gear, I use a worlord and a silverthorne, both work well as hell :o
Also I use the STRIKE gear from Blackhawk ind. But actully it does not preform as well as the Warlord from HSGI.
Hope this helps, good luck :cool:

The Reaper
06-12-2005, 13:35
That's what I normally carried on my TLBV plus a M12 holster with M9 (I carry a 1911 now that it's my POW I am using) and KBar with sheath.

The load will necessitate a fairly large rig.

Any armor to be carried or worn?

Patrolling, passenger, or assaulter?

TT MAV works, as does the Paraclete set-up, the HSGI options and the Eagle MLCS.

TR

KClapp
03-23-2007, 09:15
I know this is a serious necro-post, but I felt it best fit here rather than a new thread.

I wanted to share what I found over the last couple of years with respect to my gear. I would suspect most of the AD folks will already have found my observations to be valid. I also want to thank the good folks here for their assistance in helping me choose a decent rig for my use.

First, I finally went with a SO Tech Hellcat MkI. Based on the responses here, I felt the bang for the buck was just not there for the SPEAR ELCS. My Hellcat is used and was modified to be a near duplicate of their Falcon, except that the hydro carrier is removable. I also have a bib on it. My use has been as a range rig rather than use the average range bag. When I first got it I did add two TT 3 mag shingles for a total of 12 primary mags on the second line. After a couple of extended "patrols" through my father-in-law's woods, I found 12 mags is a large amount for normal use. Although my mentor's carried every bit that many, they were only using 20 round mags and doing extended patrols through the jungle (Vietnam). Their log assets were not nearly as accessible as they are today, either. I found running 6 in the Hellcat and 2 on the first line to be quite adequate. Additional mags and ammo can be carried in a BOB.

I also first had a large medical kit, weapon cleaning supplies, and batteries stored in two upright GP pouches. Again, too much. I have cut that down to a basic IFAK in a BHI med pouch and a few batteries and Lula in a TT small vertical pouch.

For reasons not pertinent to the discussion here, I moved from a Llama MAX-I 1911 clone to a G17. I still carry 4 secondary mags on the Hellcat. That may be alot for a tactical environment, but it's handy for the range. The weight does not seem significant, either.

I also have a M18 in a PPM pouch. And finally I also carry a SF G2, Gerber multi-tool, and Buck SBMF on the Hellcat as well as a Maxpedition dump pouch.

The weight and bulk of this setup is much more manageable than what I had previously. I believe I could get in and out of an 1114 fairly well with this setup, also. It certainly makes moving within buildings and the woods much easier.

I do run a first line with an Eagle duty belt, Safariland 6004, and TT small subload panel with two single mag shingles and a PPM dual PMP. Total mags between second and first line is 8 primary and 6 secondary.

I should mention it was most difficult to overcome the mindset that you can never have enough mags on you. It's what I grew up with. I always carried 12 primaries on my web gear. The new concept of carrying most everything on your front chest and torso just does not make this practical any longer. I really like the way the Hellcat distributes the weight and makes the tools more accessible, but there is a bit of a cost associated with that.

Again, just some observations from an old soldier with some new kit.

Team Sergeant
03-23-2007, 10:47
I always carried 12 primaries on my web gear.

Again, just some observations from an old soldier with some new kit.

You going to war by yourself?:rolleyes:

I used to carry 10. In combat zones 10 plus a bandolier in my ruck. You can carry too much. IMO its better to be light and accurate then slow and inaccurate.;)

TS

KClapp
03-23-2007, 14:35
You going to war by yourself?

You would have thought so, TS. My problem was that I never tried carrying those 12 mags full very far. My time downrange was almost always spent with them empty. Bad, bad practice.

You can carry too much. IMO its better to be light and accurate then slow and inaccurate.

HOOAH! I learned that valuable lesson through some practical application and those with more experience than I.