PDA

View Full Version : The Trouble with Islam Today: A Muslim's Call for Reform in Her Faith

Martin
05-21-2005, 12:23
I'm curious if anyone of you have read this book and what you think of it? I found it referenced at the end of her article.

Article: Irshad Manji, Bigger things to protest (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15350759%255E7583,00.html)

SnafuRacer
05-21-2005, 12:43
As a muslim, I don't like many of the ideas she comes up with and the way she tackles certain issues.
I am not one of those extremists bearded types. But as moderate as I can be considered (if there's such a thing), she takes a far too liberal approach to the faith. From analysing and dissecting the Koran to the legacy of the Prophet, she almost hinges on blasphemy IMHO. I saw her one time on CSPAN, and I understood how certain people dislike Pat Robertson or Falwell for their approach to Christianity. She is not as bad as them, but I wouldn't consider her a good spokesman on Islam. She preaches too much openeness (she's lesbian btw), and too much modernity in applying basic tenets of the faith. That's my gut feeling.

Martin
05-21-2005, 12:45
Thanks, SnafuRacer.

Richard
11-22-2010, 12:36
{bump}

Has anyone currently active here read this book? I'm looking for a few opinions prior to reading it.

Thanks.

Richard :munchin

T-Rock
11-22-2010, 18:57
No Sir, but if she’s totally wrong about the raisins, what else is she wrong about :confused: :D

(03:10 - 09:18) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNL8xugDNZQ :D

wet dog
01-05-2011, 20:14
As a muslim, I don't like many of the ideas she comes up with and the way she tackles certain issues.
I am not one of those extremists bearded types. But as moderate as I can be considered (if there's such a thing), she takes a far too liberal approach to the faith. From analysing and dissecting the Koran to the legacy of the Prophet, she almost hinges on blasphemy IMHO. I saw her one time on CSPAN, and I understood how certain people dislike Pat Robertson or Falwell for their approach to Christianity. She is not as bad as them, but I wouldn't consider her a good spokesman on Islam. She preaches too much openeness (she's lesbian btw), and too much modernity in applying basic tenets of the faith. That's my gut feeling.

I found an old post by one of the lost.

I've re-read today the book, "The trouble with Islam", by Irshad Manji

I like page 56-57, which reads in part,...

"How could a haven of heterodoxy such as Muslim Spain become an outpost of orthodoxy? When did the rest of the Muslim empire stop thinking? What sealed the end of Islam's golden age, and what does it mean for us all today?.....

You know what I find instructive about the this whole episode? That Muslim Spain didn't crumble because of ravenous Christians. Oh sure, Christians scooped up the pieces, but the brutes who brought down Muslim Spain were Muslims."

---------------------

I guess it time for the moderates to step in, pendulum swing. Spain fell when the hardliners thought Spain was too liberal.

What's wrong with a beautiful Muslim woman who is gay?

Why should I feel bad when others make idols of my God hanging from a cross celebrating His death, when I believe He is risen? I don't take offense by such actions.

The final commandment was "love one another, even as I have loved you."
WD

Richard
01-05-2011, 20:24
You know what I find instructive about the this whole episode? That Muslim Spain didn't crumble because of ravenous Christians. Oh sure, Christians scooped up the pieces, but the brutes who brought down Muslim Spain were Muslims."

I think it was a bit of both. The BBC gives an adequate executive summary of the entire period.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/history/spain_1.shtml

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

trvlr
01-05-2011, 21:25
No Sir, but if she’s totally wrong about the raisins, what else is she wrong about :confused: :D

(03:10 - 09:18) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNL8xugDNZQ :D

Thank you for this post... If you want to make it moderate, do so (good job Indonesia) but lets not make up words that aren't there. Or say that words that were written, were never there.

Some Christians are the same way.