PDA

View Full Version : Harsey-Reeve Yarborough Knife

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 19:17
Tribute to the designer, maker, and father of modern Special Forces.

Nice blade, great tool, what more could you want or need?

TR

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 19:24
Another pic, in hand.

Gents, you will not believe the way this knife cuts.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
02-23-2004, 19:27
Price?

Smokin Joe
02-23-2004, 19:28
Beatiful knife...whats retail on that bad boy?

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 19:57
Free issue.

12-24 months here to earn one, and your mortal soul.

TR

Smokin Joe
02-23-2004, 20:00
Originally posted by The Reaper
Free issue.

TR

Got it....Its Earned not bought.

Mr. Harsey any chance on making it available to non SF individuals?

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 20:04
Not the Yarborough.

It costs SF personnel who did not get one upon graduation (i.e., anyone graduating over 20 months or so ago) $270, and it is a real hassle to obtain, with only ONE per individual, per lifetime.

A very similar knife, minus the markings and serial number, can be had from Chris Reeve Knives, ebay, or TSSI for around $300.

HTH.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
02-23-2004, 20:05
http://www.dao.com.cn/document/default.taf?docID=Yarborough

The only result on my first google search. In Chinese (?).

Roguish Lawyer
02-23-2004, 20:07
Good info here. Sorry, Joe.

http://www.soc.mil/swcs/museum/yarborough_knife.htm

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 20:07
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
http://www.dao.com.cn/document/default.taf?docID=Yarborough

The only result on my first google search. In Chinese (?).

Something is definitely wrong with your Google.

Bottom of the first page:

http://www.namebase.org/main4/William-P-_28gen_29-Yarborough.html

TR

Roguish Lawyer
02-23-2004, 20:10
Something is definitely wrong with your Google.

Nah, just the first search. :)

Smokin Joe
02-23-2004, 20:17
Thank you Gentlemen. Now I need to start saving.

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 20:25
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
Thank you Gentlemen. Now I need to start saving.

http://www.chrisreeve.com/greenberet.htm

$299. Good people as well. Get the leather sheath, if you have the extra $.

TR

Bill Harsey
02-23-2004, 21:03
Dear Reaper, Thanks for showing the Yarborough knife that I designed and Chris Reeve knives manufactures. Chris Reeve Knives (CRK) has world class customer service and will deliver when stated upon placing an order. The marking of the name Yarborough and a serial no. on the blade are unique and exclusive to Army Special Forces. The same knife without these markings is available for sale to the general public. In case one might have a question about this, these conditions are stated in the orders issued by USASOC concerning the making and selling of this knife. CRK can direct anyone military or civilian to the proper purchase point for this knife. This knife uses a steel called CPM S-30V, it's a particle metal steel made by Crucible Steel in Syracuse NY. The Yarborough knife is the first ever application of this extreme high strength steel. Chris and I had tested this steel for one year before using it on your knife. This steel costs almost double what the next best steel does and is much more difficult to manufacture at every step. The reason we chose this stuff is because of the very high pry-bar strength, great initial sharpness, edge holding and high stain resistance. Thanks again for showing the knife. Bill

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 21:15
Thanks for sharing, Bill. Not that any SF guy would use his knife as a pry bar, unless he really had to. Stain resistance is not that important to me in a knife, personally.

Nice title under your name, BTW.:D

TR

Bill Harsey
02-23-2004, 21:28
Do I even dare ask what this title is? little billy jr.

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 21:34
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Do I even dare ask what this title is? little billy jr.

That is your secret Professional Soldier title, bestowed as a badge of honor and respect for what you do and have done. Or we can make it "Asset" again.

It seemed fitting, since you are, in our humble opinion, more of a bladesmith than a cutler.

Your call, Sir. NDD and I like it.

BTW, I can put up the pic of you in the shop later for your fans and admirers, if you wish.

TR

Bill Harsey
02-23-2004, 21:38
Wow, that's a huge surprise!, Thank you very much I wouldn't dare have used that for myself. With your permission I would be honored if it could stay that way for at least a little while. Bill

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 21:47
Wow, that's a huge surprise!, Thank you very much I wouldn't dare have used that for myself. With your permission I would be honored if it could stay that way for at least a little while. Bill

As they say in "The Wild Bunch", one of my favorites, "It'll stay that way till Hell freezes over, or you say otherwise".

You mind if I put your shop pic you sent me up?

TR

Bill Harsey
02-23-2004, 21:56
No problem, that pic shows the bench that the original Yarborough was worked out on. This is less than 1/4th of the shop and doesn't show any of the big tools. This is the hand tool section right? Bill

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 22:01
No problem, that pic shows the bench that the original Yarborough was worked out on. This is less than 1/4th of the shop and doesn't show any of the big tools. This is the hand tool section right? Bill

Roger, you are in the right place, unless someone opens an edged tool section.

Besides, the lads deserve to know who we are going to be buying beer for and what he looks like.

TR

With Mr. Harsey. Jr.'s compliments:

NousDefionsDoc
02-23-2004, 22:06
Mmm, I spy with my little eye - Designs and pieces of the AF!

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 22:10
Okay, now I have to do this.

The other half of the dynamic duo, as it says on his truck, "Cutler to the Quiet Professionals", Mr. Chris Reeve, demonstrating his skills (behind the JFK Museum) from a previous life as a mortar maggot:

Team Sergeant
02-24-2004, 09:10
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Good info here. Sorry, Joe.

http://www.soc.mil/swcs/museum/yarborough_knife.htm

Thanks for the info RL. The Reaper has given me this info about 3 times and I've misplaced it everytime!

I'll send in for the knife ASAP.

Team Sergeant

Team Sergeant
02-24-2004, 09:18
Nice shop Mr. Harsey!

TS

(Now if I could just convince the wife I require a reloading area that size....)

Bill Harsey
02-24-2004, 09:26
Reaper! Great picture of Chris Reeve, I've known him for almost twenty years now and we have done several small things together before the Yarborough knife project. Yes that's me in my shop. Many machines unique to knifemaking are not shown. I build my own belt grinding machines for steel and titanium grinding. My 100lb. human powered treadle forging hammer (redneck stairmaster) is in the next room with a couple other large machines. Yes there are A/F parts all over in the shop. Bill

Bill Harsey
02-24-2004, 09:32
Team Sergeant, Reaper accused me of having too clean a shop. Please know this is not the case as any sense of order falls apart under the bench tops. I agree, you should have large reloading work area.

Valhal
02-24-2004, 10:57
I've seen Chris Reeve's shop a million times. It's right next to the shooting range I go to. Guess where I'm giong today?

Bill Harsey
02-24-2004, 13:03
If You check in with Chris, tell him how to get on this website. I just spoke with him and he knoiws about it. Bill

CPTAUSRET
02-24-2004, 14:07
If You check in with Chris, tell him how to get on this website. I just spoke with him and he knoiws about it. Bill

Good deal:

Terry

Valhal
02-24-2004, 15:22

I went to the shop. Bunch of great people there. Gave me a tour. There is a lot more to knife making than I thought. I also told them about this site and gave the address to Chris who I see just joined up.
Mark

Bill Harsey
02-24-2004, 18:47
CRK is quite an operation isn't it? Thanks for getting the info to Chris. Also note I spell check my posts after sending. Sorry, remember, knifemaker. Bill

HQ6
02-24-2004, 19:58
Originally posted by Valhal
I also told them about this site and gave the address to Chris who I see just joined up.
Mark

Outstanding. Mr. Reeve, I had the pleasure of dealing with some of your folks today, when I ordered the leather sheath for the SF knife. The young lady I talked with was as nice as she could be and very helpful!

BTW I was glad I called when I did, because, I got the last one!

Welcome to the board to both Mr Harsey and Mr. Reeve. I look forward to sponging information from your posts.

Take care.
HQ6

The Reaper
02-26-2004, 15:49
This is what the Chris Reeve leather sheath for the Yarborough knife looks like, with the blade sheathed.

I love mine!

TR

The Reaper
02-26-2004, 15:50
This is the knife, and the sheath.

(Sorry, out for the snow day, and took a lot of pictures).

TR

berdan
02-26-2004, 23:26
Free issue.

TR

Sir

Me, me, me.....

You can have my soul.

berdan

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 09:19
Originally posted by berdan
Sir

Me, me, me.....

You can have my soul.

berdan

SFAS and the SFQC await.

Your call.

TR

HQ6
02-27-2004, 09:46
This is what the Chris Reeve leather sheath for the Yarborough knife looks like, with the blade sheathed.

I love mine!

TR

Is that what I bought? Man, I am good!

Thank you for posting the picture, sir. It is even prettier than I had hoped.

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 10:15
Originally posted by HQ6
Is that what I bought? Man, I am good!

Thank you for posting the picture, sir. It is even prettier than I had hoped.

A) Yes you are.

B) I thought you would appreciate it.

TR

Solid
02-27-2004, 18:58
Nice photography, too... looks really professional.

Solid

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 19:58
Originally posted by Solid
Nice photography, too... looks really professional.

Solid

Thank you. I used to do that for a job, many years ago.

Dozier makes a great Kydex sheath, I don't think I put up the pictures here, so here are a couple more.

(Note Bill Harsey's signature above the guard)

TR

Smokin Joe
02-27-2004, 20:43
Probably a dumb question but I have to ask.

TR,

Is there any problems with the kydex sheaths scratching the finish on the knife?

I doesn't look it from the photo but I just have to ask.

Beatiful pictures.
Beatiful hardware, my compliments to the builders and the owner.

Well done gentlemen, well done.

The Reaper
02-27-2004, 20:57
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
Probably a dumb question but I have to ask.

TR,

Is there any problems with the kydex sheaths scratching the finish on the knife?

I doesn't look it from the photo but I just have to ask.

Thank you.

The blade is covered with KalGard coating.

I have seen no marks and cannot imagine it is any worse on the blade than the moisture trapped in the nylon and leather sheaths.

Mr. Harsey or Mr. Reeve would be better qualified to answer that than I, since they have had them a lot longer.

TR

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 10:33
How a knife and Kydex work together and make scratches or not depends a lot on the fit. This means Kydex fitted too tight tends to make more abrasions. We don't want any kind of "rattle" fit so too loose is not good either. Kydex tends to hold occasional grit in it's surface, kind of like how abrasive particles bonded on a paper or cloth backing made into sandpaper can abrade steel. The huge plus side of Kydex is its toughness and "cut proof" properties. The plus's far outwiegh the negatives. If you have a knife that you are trying to maintain in pristine show condition (with this group, yeah right...), it would be best to not slide it in and out of a Kydex sheath too often. For operational purposes do not hesitate to use a sheath made from this stuff. When you manage to get the knife and sheath dirty take a water hose with good pressure and just hose out the inside of the sheath to get any dust, mud or grit out at the end of a job. If your concerned about cleaning in the field a good swishing in a stream for both knife and sheath will do, just plug the knife right back in and keep going. Yes I know there are places with no said stream. Upon return to base set the sheath out upside down for drying or use some compressed air to blow it out and it's ready to go again. Bill

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 10:42
I did not show the back side of this sheath. It has two small holes right at the tip of the blade for drainage, just as you would expect there to be in a good design.

TR

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 10:59
Reaper, Good that those holes are there for draining. The first job those holes serve in Kydex is good flow thru for blowing out with 100 PSI air hose in the shop to clean the sheath of any fine debris left over from making. Bill

Air.177
02-28-2004, 11:28
I have a Dozier knife that came with their Kydex sheath, and the sheath has slightly worn the Micarta handle due to extensive field use. This wear does not affect the performance of the knife in any way, and if I just wanted the knife to look pretty, then I wouldn't have used it.

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 12:02
Nothing wrong with some honest wear. Good observation that this doesn't take away from function. Bill

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 13:04
I shipped a bolt gun to a custom shop for accuracy work.

I run into the gunsmith and he tells me he got it, but there was a problem, so I anticipate the worst and ask him what happened.

He tells me that the bolt, which was removed from the weapon for shipment, came unstowed and tumbled around in the box with the rifle.

I ask him if the bolt is damaged, and he says no, but it beat up the rifle pretty good.

I ask him if it will affect the way it shoots, and he says no, but it has some cosmetic blemishes now.

I tell him I don't care, just make it shoot.

He smiles and his employees laugh and grin as well.

Sorry, but that is the way I am. If you are afraid to use (not abuse) your gear, or get it dirty, you are a collector, not an operator.

I think NDD can confirm this about me.

TR

Eagle5US
02-28-2004, 13:11
TR/Mr. Harsey...

How much is the leather sheath??? My knife should be arriving shortly and I would very much like one.
The leather sheath I have for my "Rigid" has worn well, but now the blade is poking thru the bottom due to the point wearing thru the leather.
Any suggestions on a good place to get it fixed or capped???
Someone you could recommend I send it to?

Thanks,
Eagle

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 13:35
Most definitely.

I have seen questions such as "Does ABC's coyote tan match XYZ's or is it a different shade?" I just laugh. My tan RAID has an OD TTFRB on top and two Woodland pouches on the back and side and a black Camelback and a black Gerber Mark II on it.

Besides, its all the same color and its all scratched as soon as you fall down the first mountain. And you will fall.

I like scratched up knives and bullet launchers and I like all my gear to be the same color - whatever color the nearest mudhole is. As long as they're sharp, shoot straight and don't dump my gear on the ground.

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 13:44
Originally posted by Eagle5US
TR/Mr. Harsey...

How much is the leather sheath??? My knife should be arriving shortly and I would very much like one.

Thanks,
Eagle

Eagle:

Somewhere around $50, the price is not on the site.

crkinfo@chrisreeve.com

Chris Reeve Knives
11624 W. President Drive - Suite B
Boise, ID 83713

Tel: 208-375-0367
Fax: 208-375-0368

Just call, they are very nice and helpful.

I think that they are currently out of leather sheaths, they can give you the real answer when you call.

TR

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 16:06
Reaper, Thanks for answering Eagles question, same answer I was getting ready to type in. Eagle, When you contact CRK about leather sheath ask how long it will take because I know the leather shop is near CRK and they can get fast answer. Bill

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 16:24
Originally posted by Eagle5US
TR/Mr. Harsey...

The leather sheath I have for my "Rigid" has worn well, but now the blade is poking thru the bottom due to the point wearing thru the leather.
Any suggestions on a good place to get it fixed or capped???
Someone you could recommend I send it to?

Thanks,
Eagle

I could say something about Old Dudes that use leather in the jungle, but I won't.:D

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 16:37
NousDefionsDoc, I like the way you color coordinate! What is the best knife sheath for your use?

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 16:43
I like synthetics better than leather for the jungle. My leather sheaths have always rotted. SOE or SOTECH is making some that look nice, but I haven't tried them yet. I think one of them makes the sheaths for Stryder. My Gerber is in some kind of synthetic one now and I haven't had any problems with it.

Of course I'm not as active as I once was.:D

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 16:50
I'll have to check out those other sheaths. I know the Strider guys, always a late night with that special Irish black water when we meet up. Yes I know about leather rotting out in the jungle. same problem with leather holsters. Thanks, Bill

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 16:55
You're welcome sir. If I'm not mistaken, they are PALs (or whatever they call it) compatible as well. MilitaryMoron, eggroll or Razor would be able to tell you details. This PALs stuff seems to be all the rage.

And you can color coordinate your outfit if you use synthetics. LOL

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 17:09
NDD, I'm checking out that type of gear now via the 'net. Do you know what PALs stands for? Yes I've been watching the modular designed systems as they come along. Boy do I have a lot to learn. Bill

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 17:14
me too. I can't keep all the names straight - PALs, MOLLE, SPEAR. LOL. I have no idea what it stands for. Reaper probably knows.

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 17:34
Thanks for saying that. It's sometimes hard to know how to match up our attachment points or what type of fastener/belt loop size to use to cover all uses. maybe we should just supply a roll of cammo duct tape. Bill

Smokin Joe
02-28-2004, 17:50
Mr. Harsey,

If I may suggest. I obviously can't speak for everyone on here. I think you guys should just stick to a loop that will accomodate a 2.5 inch belt. With 2 eye holes on the bottom so you can thread 550 cord through.

The way I look at is that G.I.'s have been Gerry-rigging there knives sheaths to whatever there needs are that they have probably mastered the art of how to attach there knife sheath in any way they see fit while utilizing a standard belt slot.

Plus some people like keeping there knife on there belts so no matter what if they have to ditch there 2nd or 3rd line gear they don't have to worry about ditching there knife.

Just my .02 cents.

Eagle5US
02-28-2004, 19:19
Mr. Harsey/ TR...
Thank you both for the info, I'll shoot them a message and see what they come back with.
On leather sheaths...
The other "inconvenience" that I experienced was that couldn't jump the silly thing on my LCE.
Perhaps it has changed, but previously we were not allowed to jump any fixed blade that was not in "kydex" or some other synthetic sheath.
Any current JM's want to chime in on it???

Eagle

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 19:36
Thanks for saying that. It's sometimes hard to know how to match up our attachment points or what type of fastener/belt loop size to use to cover all uses. maybe we should just supply a roll of cammo duct tape. Bill

Most pants belts are 1.5", with a few at 1.75". Rigger belts and gunbelts are up to 2" wide. The issue web pistol belt is 2.25".

You span 1.5"-2.5", you should have it all covered.

TR

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 20:01
For hunters I make a leather belt loop at 2 inches unless the customer wants it tightened up to fit a 1 3/4 inch belt, this way when they draw the hunting blade the sheath doesn't come up with the knife. I make a form fitted locking welt sheath for the hunters. Will do as advised for military rigging sizes. Anyone seen the old OSS designs for hideouts? They carried in some very interesting places. I don't think we can adapt the Yarborough for that type of carry.

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 20:19
yes, sir, I've seen photos of the OSS carries. Very interesting indeed. Agree the Y wouldn't go well in some of those places. OSS Det 101 would have probably felt right at home with the Y though.

Smokin Joe
02-28-2004, 21:39
Are you talking about the Triangular shaped blade (has 3 cutting surfaces w/ 3 blood grooves) no hand guard, about 10- 12 inches long?

Could be attached to just about any appendage. Provide it was big enough to support the weight. :)

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2004, 21:44
That was one of them. They also invented some cool ways to carry the FS stiletto.

bragging?:D

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 22:02
I have some pis of the OSS thumb daggers and lapel knives. Have you guys seen them?

The Reaper
02-28-2004, 22:11
I have some pis of the OSS thumb daggers and lapel knives. Have you guys seen them?

We are interested in seeing ANY pics you have.

Are these from the Colonel?

If you prefer, send them to me and I will resize and post whatever you wish to share.

TR

Smokin Joe
02-28-2004, 22:31
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
bragging?D

Nope, don't need to :D

Bill Harsey
02-28-2004, 22:37
I'll use snow shovel in the morning to locate the file with OSS pics. I think I saw them recently. Bill

Razor
03-01-2004, 14:35
The lapel/thumb daggers were a nifty little last ditch tool. Every so often I see repros of them on eBay (by I believe Ek). The sheath was handy in that it was pre-punched to sew it in an out of the way location in your clothing. Nowadays, something similar but made of either ceramic to defeat a metal detector, and with a slimmer sheath material than leather may have a place.

Bill Harsey
03-02-2004, 21:34
I located some of the old photo's of the originals. I should think hard about making some. (Damn it I already DID! Just remembered the little frame handled prototypes I did for Gerber years ago, nothing happened!, I KNOW the master patterns are in the shop...duuuuuuuh) Good thinking Razor about a new sheath, thin Kydex would work and make it cut proof. You could stow it anywhere and be ok.

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 22:02
I located some of the old photo's of the originals. I should think hard about making some. (Damn it I already DID! Just remembered the little frame handled prototypes I did for Gerber years ago, nothing happened!, I KNOW the master patterns are in the shop...duuuuuuuh) Good thinking Razor about a new sheath, thin Kydex would work and make it cut proof. You could stow it anywhere and be ok.

Osama Bin Mama! Checkbook! Gringo Money! Now!

Smokin Joe
03-02-2004, 22:11
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Osama Bin Mama! Checkbook! Gringo Money! Now!

Ditto Put me down for 3

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2004, 23:08
Two of us - sounds like a group buy. LOL

Bill Harsey
03-03-2004, 09:11
Will keep you guys advised on this. Don't let me drop the ball either, Lot's of work to do in the meantime. I'll go right out and get my hands on the master pattern now. Bill

Smokin Joe
03-03-2004, 09:28
Cool thanks Bill.

How often would you like me to bug you about these? :)

Sacamuelas
03-03-2004, 13:50
Someone post a pic of what knife you are talking about please. I am not a military knife historian.

I might have to jump in on that "group buy"... THREE whole people. We should be able to demand bargain basement pricing now! ;) LOL

CPTAUSRET
03-03-2004, 14:24
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Someone post a pic of what knife you are talking about please. I am not a military knife historian.

I might have to jump in on that "group buy"... THREE whole people. We should be able to demand bargain basement pricing now! ;) LOL

Also interested:

Terry

Razor
03-03-2004, 17:06
This is the basic design, but made from plastics instead of steel.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/60/24/11_1_b.JPG

Smokin Joe
03-03-2004, 20:13
http://www.donrearic.com/images/FourOSSDaggers.jpg

Second from the left is the lapel dagger.

Here is the link I got it from. There is some good info there.
OSS weapons (http://www.donrearic.com/covertweapons.html)

WTF? Is IMG coding off? how do I turn it on.

Bill Harsey
03-03-2004, 20:18
On these pictures I have, not trying to be cute here, they have some funny markings on them that encourage me to not post. I can make some patterns and show you. Bill

Bill Harsey
03-04-2004, 19:55
Pics cleared, never a problem. I have more coming from better sources than mine. I wish I could draw here...Bill

The Reaper
03-04-2004, 20:02
Bill:

If you have a scanner, you can.

IIRC, Microsoft also has a minimalist editing software which may let you draw, but someone else will have to tell you about it.

TR

Bill Harsey
03-04-2004, 20:07
I've seen a couple drawing pads demonstrated here (in the shop)that linked directly to the computer screen. Very good resolution. Wiil have to check into them again.

Maya
03-05-2004, 15:35
Bill,

Also interested! Thanks - Steve

TRUST
03-05-2004, 20:48
Originally posted by Razor
This is the basic design, but made from plastics instead of steel.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/60/24/11_1_b.JPG
Better photos of that product are here:
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4c.tam?&M5COPY.ctx=25974&M5=25974

Hope this helps.

TRUST

Bill Harsey
03-06-2004, 10:08
Thanks for the interest here. I will keep all posted on what I'm working on. I'm trying to make a direct link from OSS days to present with this. Give me a bit of time, many irons in the fire and all are glowing incandescent red-orange ready to forge. Bill

NousDefionsDoc
05-08-2005, 16:32
Bump for lapel daggers/OSS/thumb daggers/ Wild Bill Donovan/V-E Day/And soon to be D-Day....

Bill Harsey
05-08-2005, 17:31
On it.
have stuff to do for Blade Show in Atlanta inside of three weeks.
Thanks for the bump.

frostfire
05-08-2005, 19:38
Mr. Harsey,

when and where exactly, sir?
Is it at the same place with eastman gun show?

I'd like to see (or even touch) in person the piece of craftmanship in your avatar

Team Sergeant
05-08-2005, 21:20
I'd like to see (or even touch) in person the piece of craftmanship in your avatar

You can have one issued, along with a Green Beret, just pass Special Forces training.....

TS

NousDefionsDoc
05-08-2005, 21:24
You can have one issued, along with a Green Beret, just pass Special Forces training.....

TS

LOL - "just " :eek:

frostfire
05-08-2005, 22:33

TS
roger

Found the show, for those interested:
http://www.collect.com/shows/article.asp?id=24
http://www.cobbgalleria.com/maps.html
and some review for the knives at SHOT 2005
http://www.equipped.com/shot_show_2005_knives.htm

Where is your stand Mr. Harsey?
http://www.collect.com/pdfs/editorial/shows/bsicfexlist1.pdf

Will there be any HAK there?

I hope I can get a folder that doesn't cut the wallet

Bill Harsey
05-09-2005, 07:24
I'll be with Chris Reeve Knives just like the past several years at Blade.

I have no idea where the Eastman Gun Show is but Blade is as your link describes, in Cobb Galleria Centre (convention center) on the top side of Atlanta.

It's easy to find, my taxi driver does it every time.

Ambush Master
05-09-2005, 16:15
Methinks that at least a couple of us will also be there !! :D

shadowflyer
05-10-2005, 18:07
I'll be with Chris Reeve Knives just like the past several years at Blade.

I have no idea where the Eastman Gun Show is but Blade is as your link describes, in Cobb Galleria Centre (convention center) on the top side of Atlanta.

It's easy to find, my taxi driver does it every time.

I will be there this year as well. Hope to see some of y'all down there. I am really getting used to this 24 on and 48 off schedule. Working 10 days a month is not so bad.

I am up for a few adult beverages sometime during BLADE weekend if anyone would like to join me here in my fine city of Atlanta.

Jason

Ambush Master
05-10-2005, 19:13
I am up for a few adult beverages sometime during BLADE weekend if anyone would like to join me here in my fine city of Atlanta.

Jason

You're ON !!!! We'll be posting arrivals etc later. :D

Roguish Lawyer
05-16-2005, 09:42
Some may be interested in these collector's versions.

http://www.signedknife.com/greenberet.html

Sacamuelas
05-16-2005, 09:54
As has been said many times before.... it is truly an honor to know a craftsman like yourself.

In honor of the Blade show coming up in June, an Avatar change is in order for a little Aprof advertising... Frontsight, you can change yours to this when I am done. :D

You like my new avatar Bill?

alphamale
05-16-2005, 10:07
Mr. Harsey, can I post the pic of you with the rifle in the woods?

I think that's the coolest one I've seen.

FrontSight

Bill Harsey
05-16-2005, 13:27
Mr. Harsey, can I post the pic of you with the rifle in the woods?

I think that's the coolest one I've seen.

FrontSight
Yes you can post the pic if it remains unedited.

frostfire
05-16-2005, 21:56
hum....least I can do to show appreciation of what y'all did and the influence you (especially a certain retired QP) got over my mindset:

Anyone need a ride or an amateur guide for the local Irish pub, tactical store (great deals on bags < $20), and ranges, drop me a PM. They're in close proximity with the airport and destination.
The ride can fit up to 4 people, but for 6'+ giants, perhaps it can take only two.

The directions are pretty simple.
I won't get you lost in the middle of nowhere...promise.
direction (http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?do=prt&mo=ma&2si=gdt&1ex=1&un=m&go=1&1a=%5b4600%2d4667%5d%20Airport%20Blvd&1c=Atlanta&1g=NhDgRuFelPo%3d&2a=2%20Galleria%20Pkwy&2tabval=address&1l=KFbQ0O3v95E%3d&2c=Atlanta&1rc=B1BAA&1n=CLAYTON%20COUNTY&cl=EN&2g=RkwVpXUJS1U%3d&1s=GA&2l=YJdagfIY6T8%3d&ct=NA&1v=STREET&2n=COBB%20COUNTY&1y=US&1tabval=address&1z=30337&2s=GA&2rc=L1AAA&2v=ADDRESS&did=1116301480&2y=US&rsres=1)

12B4S
05-16-2005, 22:57
Mailed off my request for a 'Memorandum of Authorization' for the Yarborough today. :D

alphamale
05-17-2005, 07:01
Yes you can post the pic if it remains unedited.Ohhhhhhhhh now YOU are one to talk !!!! Mr. Fishing Championship Calendar or whatever that was!

Boogar! :: spank spank spank ::

Here is the cool **unedited** pic of Mr. Harsey:

FrontSight

Bill Harsey
05-17-2005, 09:33
Mailed off my request for a 'Memorandum of Authorization' for the Yarborough today. :D

Very good.

If you have any problems with the knife, I know where the warranty department is.

Bill Harsey
05-17-2005, 09:40
Ms. Frontsight,
The special calender you refer to was a Northwest outdoor theme, "babes in Waders". Editing??? I don't recall...

The thunder stick in the picture is my .416 Remington magnum.
It has a barely noticeable recoil.
FS can shoot it whenever she wants.

12B4S
05-18-2005, 01:39
Very good.

If you have any problems with the knife, I know where the warranty department is.

LOL Bill. I'm not going to be trying to hack steel fence posts in half. However, check out your 5 million RPM etching/engraving tool. :D The knife won't be complete without your signature.

Smokin Joe
05-18-2005, 02:01

[slight hijack]
Is that your Dangerous Game stick?
[/slight hijack]

Ambush Master
05-18-2005, 05:38
LOL Bill. I'm not going to be trying to hack steel fence posts in half. However, check out your 5 million RPM etching/engraving tool. :D The knife won't be complete without your signature.

Be sure you send a Calendar with it !!! :D :munchin

swatsurgeon
05-18-2005, 06:36
just for those that have a critical eye....hard sights Bill, no scope on that rifle and my guess is you could take down an elk at 300-500 yards without problem.......

mumbleypeg
05-18-2005, 11:56
That is a lot of "hi, how ya doin". Are the hippies getting active?

12B4S
05-19-2005, 01:40
Be sure you send a Calendar with it !!! :D :munchin

Ouu ouch......

Bill! Look who dropped in.

Maybe I should have the date I graduated SFTG. That way if I run into a guy who tells me about receiving a Yarborough upon graduation, I can mess with him a tad. :D

Bill Harsey
05-19-2005, 07:57
The little carbide point on the Foredom flex shaft is still spinning just fine.
PM me here about details on how this will work.

We'll have to build a special knife just for steel fence posts in Camp MacKall.
Oh yeah, I forgot, we already did.

Bill Harsey
05-19-2005, 08:13
[slight hijack]
Is that your Dangerous Game stick?
[/slight hijack]
It's built for that, express sights for fast target aquisition and the Premier Safari Grade 400 grain Swift A-Frame bullets leave the muzzle at 2400 fps with a stated 5115 ft. lbs of energy.
All my shooting with it so far has been offhand and this is on purpose.

Bill Harsey
05-19-2005, 08:18
just for those that have a critical eye....hard sights Bill, no scope on that rifle and my guess is you could take down an elk at 300-500 yards without problem.......
This rifle will remain as is, with no scope so I can still find the target in rain and snow. Hunting in the Northwest fall can be a full raingear deal and sometimes I really like the iron sights better because they don't fog as easy.

I'm working on those distances.

12B4S
05-20-2005, 01:59
The little carbide point on the Foredom flex shaft is still spinning just fine.
PM me here about details on how this will work.

Will do. It may be a month or so. Thanks.

We'll have to build a special knife just for steel fence posts in Camp MacKall.
Oh yeah, I forgot, we already did.

I'm thinking at least two. 'The Reaper' would take less time. :D

It's built for that, express sights for fast target aquisition and the Premier Safari Grade 400 grain Swift A-Frame bullets leave the muzzle at 2400 fps with a stated 5115 ft. lbs of energy.
All my shooting with it so far has been offhand and this is on purpose.

Why not, when it's only got the kick of a 22LR.

The Reaper
05-20-2005, 08:45
Ms. Frontsight,
The special calender you refer to was a Northwest outdoor theme, "babes in Waders". Editing??? I don't recall...

It has a barely noticeable recoil.
FS can shoot it whenever she wants.

Isn't that the one she was the cover girl for?

TR

Kyobanim
05-20-2005, 08:53
Isn't that the one she was the cover girl for?

TR

The blond is pretty nice looking, too!

::hauling ass outa the AO::

Peregrino
05-20-2005, 13:09
Photo analysis leads me to believe the human female is a non-native species. She has a tan. I've seen examples of the native population and they never get enough sun to tan effectively. :D Peregrino

ZoneOne
05-23-2005, 14:10
I hope to make it to the Blade Show this year. Hopefully I'll be admiring knives on Friday and Saturday.

12B4S
06-17-2005, 02:05
I mailed off my 'request for a memorandum of authorization a month ago today.

I received a call this morning from a gal with the USAJFKSWCS Chief of Staff's office. I'll just refer to her as... L. Went something like this:

L: "Mr Morrison?"
Me: "Yes" ( knowing I had to get that Mr stuff out)
L: "I Have good news and bad news"
Me: "OK L, but please know, that phrase was invented BECAUSE of me.
A couple other things, L. Please just call me Brad. I know what the
'good news' is. I qualify for the Yarborough."
L: " Yes Sir" (LOL, now I have to get rid of the "Sir")

Me: "L"?

L: " Yes Sir"?

Me: Please call me Brad. I was a NCO not an Officer....... Okay?

L: Okay S......... Brad.

She is a sweetheart.
Here's the deal. Seems that the original allotment of serial numbered Yarboroughs
Is/was targeted for 1000. I didn't and still don't see any mention of that on the Yarborough site. Seems I'm 1001. LOL.

I am now at the TOP of the waiting list. :cool: Which, I believe is a first for me.

She told me that they were thinking about extending the current run to Sept. or Oct. OR........ Doing a second run and that she would call every week or two to keep me informed. Thinking back today about the number of SF guys, while I was in, since and now, it's alot more than 1000.
See how it pans out.

Eagle5US
06-17-2005, 08:05
When I ordered mine I was told the following regarding the numbering system:
#1-#12: spoken for / presented to the muckety mucks who are mentioned in some historical papers someplace :rolleyes:
(just kidding)
#13-#1000: SF Qualified folks from prior to the first classes being "issued" their knife on graduation (Aug 2002???)
#1001 and up: to be issued to newest Q graduates from date above forward.

not certain why they wouldn't just issue you one with a higher number. I had to wait for mine as well (#474) because they only received small batches (2-5) at a time.

Best of luck
Love my knife: THANKS Mr. Harsey!!! :lifter

Eagle

Bill Harsey
06-17-2005, 08:21
This is a matter of choosing blocks of numbers.
If there is any problem, please advise. I got a call yesterday from some guy asking how this was going. He wears four stars and is in charge of some little operation near Tampa.

12B4S
06-17-2005, 23:11
#13-#1000: SF Qualified folks from prior to the first classes being "issued" their knife on graduation (Aug 2002???)
#1001 and up: to be issued to newest Q graduates from date above forward.

not certain why they wouldn't just issue you one with a higher number. I had to wait for mine as well (#474) because they only received small batches (2-5) at a time.

Best of luck
Love my knife: THANKS Mr. Harsey!!! :lifter

Eagle

I don't know Eagle. Based on what you just described, it looks like I'm in the 'gray' area, having graduated SFTG 11/69. I knew they were ordered in small batches and there would be a wait, which was fine. I didn't even care what serial number was on the knife. Thought it would be up in the upper thousands anyway.

Maybe if they sold me one with a number over 1001, folks would think I was the oldest guy to graduate from Q. :D

Damn, Mr Harsey... hob nobbin' with Four Stars. :eek:

L said she'd call in a week or two. See what she says then. I'll ask her about a higher serial number.

Thanks Guys........

Bill Harsey
06-18-2005, 08:06
12B4S,
Not hob nobbin, just a brief conversation.
Please keep me in the loop on the numbers thing here. There is no problem with CRK doing the work on it's end.

12B4S
06-19-2005, 12:26
Thanks Bill. Let you know what I learn from L, next time we speak.

hellokitty
07-07-2005, 04:22
Hi Mr Harsey, good call on the S30V i have a couple of customs made from this steel and its performence leaves nothing to be desired , when making a hard use knife for hard users you have hit the nail on the head! S30V sebenza is my edc folder and i is a fine product of sound design, all the best ,kitty

Bill Harsey
07-07-2005, 08:54
Hi Mr Harsey, good call on the S30V i have a couple of customs made from this steel and its performence leaves nothing to be desired , when making a hard use knife for hard users you have hit the nail on the head! S30V sebenza is my edc folder and i is a fine product of sound design, all the best ,kitty
hellokitty,
First, welcome aboard Sir. It's good to see you here.
That Sebenza you carry is made by the same guy (Chris Reeve) who suggested to Crucible Specialty Tool Steels the chemical composition of that type of steel and the result is the CPM S-30V.
Much credit due Crucible for the amount of research and fine tuning it took to make this happen, it was not easy or overnight.
Chris and I ran the "caveman knifemaking" tests with it before it was on the market.
If it failed at any one of several key points, we would not be using it.
This steel has served us and our users well.

JGarcia
07-07-2005, 12:29
Bill,

I work with one of your former students (van beever). Can you tell us about the Japanese honor you hold? Aren't you the only American with that recognition?

Bill Harsey
07-07-2005, 17:21
Bill,

I work with one of your former students (van beever). Can you tell us about the Japanese honor you hold? Aren't you the only American with that recognition?
I believe the honor you speak of is that I am one of the very few Americans who as a custom knifemaker have their work in the Japanese National Knife Museum.

12B4S
05-06-2006, 02:20
Closing in on a year now. Talked to a gal down at USAJFKSWCS last week. To save me typing........ The authorization letter is on it's way..........

Good thing I am a patient guy. :rolleyes: I might have had to resort to be being a name dropper. (Bill) ;)

There were only 987 serial numbered Yarboroughs. Starting at #13, going through #1000. I mean for present and former guys, who didn't have them awarded after graduating Q school.

Bill Harsey
05-06-2006, 08:18
Good news you got to this point.

I don't think dropping my name would change anything.

12B4S
05-08-2006, 00:59
Thanks Bill. No, and I didn't. ;) They have thier deal and working through it. After April 15, Twenty became available.

SP5IC
05-18-2006, 12:46
Look at what I got today. It is spectacular.

12B4S
05-18-2006, 21:38
When did you send in your payment SP? You must have been on the waiting list too.

ODA572
05-19-2006, 06:51
I am in my own long wait for a letter also. If anyone has any advice on a better way to do this then please email me or post it here. I am prior service (much prior) and would like very much to have this issue knife. I still have my ol' Model 15 Airman Randall that I carried. But with two sons now, I want to have something for each of them.

I guess I fit the bill of the description of an SF soldier I heard long ago. I have my divorce (2 actually), the Randall, and the Rolex. But I never did find a blue star saphire ring. I'll keep my eye out for that one.

12B4S
08-02-2006, 17:10
I received my Y Knife yesterday, after almost 14 months from sending off the intial paperwork. There was one other delay, I didn't mention. After sending off the rest of the paperwork and payment, I received a letter, explaining that it would be another two to three months. A large order was placed for the the guys graduating Q. That was fine. It's here now.

I remember a discussion on the BHI sheath. Seems somewhere along the line, they began using a different sheath. Mine came with a Spec-Ops brand sheath. My digital camera went south awhile back, but it is the same as in SP51C's pic above.

This knife is phenomenal!!!!!!! Amazing piece of work Bill and Chris.......

Ambush Master
08-02-2006, 17:14
Brad,
What S/N did you get?!?!?! Mine is 569.

12B4S
08-02-2006, 17:30
#933 Martin, just a few after yours. :)

SP5IC
08-02-2006, 18:45
I'm 878 because SWC flagged 800 for grads. Maybe they took 850 numbers.

x SF med
08-02-2006, 21:07
You guys are killing me. I found out too late, and "purchase is closed" I've tried the address/phone # given me by another guy on the site - but, alas, no response. Got a nice call from Bill H. to talk about the knife - that was a kinda kick in the ass too, being able to talk to the 'knife god' about his creation, and having little current chance of getting one.

C'est la vie.

12B4S
08-04-2006, 23:57
I know the feeling x_. As you can see from the 14 months it took me. After the intial paperwork, there weren't anymore available. I didn't think, I would be able to get one. Figured that, in that case, I'll buy one from CRK. It is an incredible knife.

mike-munich
08-07-2006, 08:43
I know the feeling x_. As you can see from the 14 months it took me. After the intial paperwork, there weren't anymore available. I didn't think, I would be able to get one. Figured that, in that case, I'll buy one from CRK. It is an incredible knife.

Put mine on order with CRK. Will be produced end of this month, got a nice LEO rebate as well (thanks to Heather !). Won´t be serialed, but still the "real deal". Looking forward to receiving this masterpiece ! :D

Team Sergeant
08-07-2006, 09:10
Won´t be serialed, but still the "real deal".

Not a problem, we'll just have Chris Reeve send it to Ambush Master first and have him kill something with it. Then you can say it was used by a SOG vet!;)

Team Sergeant

mike-munich
08-07-2006, 09:24
Not a problem, we'll just have Chris Reeve send it to Ambush Master first and have him kill something with it. Then you can say it was used by a SOG vet!;)

Team Sergeant

TS, I was kinda hoping Brad would come to Tölz, kill a wild bore with it and I prepare a pork roast and some Bavarian beer for you guys...:D

12B4S
08-07-2006, 17:43
Ohhhhhh, I like TS's suggestion Mike. I'd prefer to use your HK SL8 on the boar. :D Then we can use your new knife to butcher the thing. The beer will help pass the time while it cooks. We'll get all these guys over there for a Toelz reunion. Might make those boars an endangered species. ;)

mike-munich
08-07-2006, 23:51
Ohhhhhh, I like TS's suggestion Mike. I'd prefer to use your HK SL8 on the boar. :D Then we can use your new knife to butcher the thing. The beer will help pass the time while it cooks. We'll get all these guys over there for a Toelz reunion. Might make those boars an endangered species. ;)

Alright. Here is the plan. Ambush Master breaks in the blade, you drop the boar with my SL8, TS gets to butcher it while I´m in charge of the beer resupply. :D

As I said before, this Tölz reunion doesn´t sound bad at all. Think about it gentlemen... Any plans for, lets say, fall of next year ? Gives everybody enough time to plan ahead, save money and convince the wife.... :cool:

12B4S
08-08-2006, 04:32
That will work MIke....

Plus I have no wife. After dropping the boar, I can help with the beer run. :)

mike-munich
08-08-2006, 04:47
That will work MIke....

Plus I have no wife. After dropping the boar, I can help with the beer run. :)

That´s what I call "cross-trained" ! Thanks Brad ! :D

12B4S
08-09-2006, 01:55
Well. we were always 'cross-training' Mike. Sort of stuck with me. Especially when beer and food is in the equation. Sometime I'll get around to a particular Team cross-training by our Docs. :eek:

mike-munich
08-09-2006, 02:11
we were always 'cross-training' Mike

Brad, yes, I always liked that concept. You never know when you will be needing a certain skill...

12B4S
08-09-2006, 02:59
Brad, yes, I always liked that concept. You never know when you will be needing a certain skill...

It is a great concept Mike. A Teams ever since I was in, continue to that. There is no better training, outside of sending every guy on a Team to every school.

ODA572
08-21-2006, 21:15
Like some of those above my Yarborough came in the mail the other day. Serial number 0957. It took about two weeks from when I sent the payment and my signature at the bottom of the memorandum.

I actually thought the knife would be black like the photo I saw of serial number 2. By hey, if it's issued in green, then green is fine with me.

I think issueing a knife to the Q course graduates is a great idea. I think the distinguished honors grad of my class in '79 got some kind of Buck knife. I was just an honor grad and got squat. But I ain't complaining.

I am glad to be able to get this knife for my sons really. I have two and will give the Randall Airman I carried to the eldest and this Yarborough to the youngest. My daughter gets my Silva, it got me out of more trouble than either of these knives.

If you don't get one of these knives, I would not sweat it. Spend the $286.00 bucks on calls to your old buddies and a nice bottle of Jack or Jim. That'll do more for you than than just another blade.

ODA572

Basenshukai
08-22-2006, 16:21
Just so that Mr. Harsey doesn't think all Yarborough's end up on a display box:
This one has been along on a pretty nasty firefight, a couple of "interesting" combat missions and to every camping trip I do back here in CONUS. I have not had to re-sharpen it yet (and I got my knife back in 2003).

Chris
08-22-2006, 17:18
Painted no less. Would like to here some of those stories, Basenshukai.

Bill Harsey
08-23-2006, 08:14
:D Just so that Mr. Harsey doesn't think all Yarborough's end up on a display box:
This one has been along on a pretty nasty firefight, a couple of "interesting" combat missions and to every camping trip I do back here in CONUS. I have not had to re-sharpen it yet (and I got my knife back in 2003).

Thanks for the work your doing and glad to hear the edged tool is included, that's what it's built for.

That handle doesn't look like "factory" either :D

mike-munich
09-15-2006, 03:45
Manufactured as promised in late August, it has arrived today.

Thanks again Mr. Harsey, Sir, and Heather @ CRK for this awesome blade !

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/7223/1001160fu0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

NousDefionsDoc
09-15-2006, 06:41
Manufactured as promised in late August, it has arrived today.

Thanks again Mr. Harsey, Sir, and Heather @ CRK for this awesome blade !

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/7223/1001160fu0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Nice. That sheath came with it?

The Reaper
09-15-2006, 08:18
Nice. That sheath came with it?

I believe it is now.

No longer Blackhawk, but Spec Ops.

TR

Bill Harsey
09-15-2006, 08:36
I believe it is now.

TR
Correct, all sheaths for our knives are now from Spec Ops Brand in Texas.

100% Made In USA (if Texas recognizes the rest of the United States :D ).

BrianH
09-15-2006, 10:22
We don't, unless you count all those backwards annexationists.

mike-munich
09-26-2006, 00:42

Affirmative. I like it alot, always liked Spec Ops gear anyway.

Mike (half Texan, by the way....:cool: )

NousDefionsDoc
09-26-2006, 11:26
Correct, all sheaths for our knives are now from Spec Ops Brand in Texas.

Did I help?:lifter

Bill Harsey
09-27-2006, 08:32
Did I help?:lifter
Yes.

12B4S
09-29-2006, 01:10
Sheeeeeeesh...... I told you guys months ago that the blade came in a Spec Ops sheath. :rolleyes:

The Reaper
09-29-2006, 10:16
Sheeeeeeesh...... I told you guys months ago that the blade came in a Spec Ops sheath. :rolleyes:

Yep, and I have been telling them for years that it shouldn't come in a BH sheath.

Glad that they found another maker who could supply the qunatity and quality that was needed.

Big improvement.

TR

swatsurgeon
09-29-2006, 13:11
TR,
time for my ignorance to show up....what are the differences in the sheaths. Mine (green beret, NOT Yarborough) came in the BH sheath....? need to change out?

ss

NousDefionsDoc
09-29-2006, 18:04
TR,
time for my ignorance to show up....what are the differences in the sheaths. Mine (green beret, NOT Yarborough) came in the BH sheath....? need to change out?

ss
I would say that you need to change it only if you are unhappy with the current one. I like the Spec Ops sheaths, but like so many other things, it is a matter of taste. Of course you can never have too many lying around in drawers and it doesn't cost all that much to find out which one you like best...

Bill Harsey
09-29-2006, 21:09
A footnote to this sheath business:

Blackhawk Industries saved our ass in order to launch the Yarborough knife project by being willing, able and the only manufacturer at that time who could provide a jump qualified sheath in the amounts and at the cost needed to get the project in under the wire. Thank you Blackhawk.

For this I will always be grateful to them.

Things change, Blackhawk got very busy with other stuff and now Spec- OPs Brand from Texas makes our sheaths.

The Reaper
09-30-2006, 09:28
Bill:

Thanks for sharing the inside skinny, sometimes I forget that not everyone has the full story on why things were done a particular way.

Nevertheless, I feel that the Spec Ops sheath is a better product, indisputably made in the USA by a company with a great rep for customer service and support.

I prefer the Spec Ops sheath for moral and physical reasons, but YMMV. As NDD said, try them both and use the one you prefer.

TR

HOLLiS
11-06-2006, 19:39
A friend recently graduated from Q, his knife serial number is 4437, and it came black hawk sheath. I PMed Bill to find out a good supplier for a leather sheath.

He will be staying with us for a few days.

Thanks

Hollis

Ambush Master
11-06-2006, 19:48
A friend recently graduated from Q, his knife serial number is 4437, and it came black hawk sheath. I PMed Bill to find out a good supplier for a leather sheath.

He will be staying with us for a few days.

Thanks

Hollis

The only leather sheath that is available, unless you go custom, is from Chris Reeve Knives. Be careful though, I don't know if the Leather one is cleared for jumping. Their latest Sheath comes from Spec Ops Brand.

Later
Martin

HOLLiS
11-06-2006, 19:50
Ambush Master,

Thank you for the reply

Hollis

Bill Harsey
11-06-2006, 20:54
Unless something has changed, to the best of my knowledge leather sheaths are NOT cleared for jumping.

Maybe CRK could sell you a Spec-Ops sheath as an addition. I don't have any in stock now.
Bill

HOLLiS
11-06-2006, 21:06
Bill,

Again thank you for the information.

H.

Buffalobob
11-07-2006, 16:01
Here is #0167 along side of my faithful companion who spent a year with me in scenic southeast asia.

mike-munich
02-02-2007, 03:06
As I told 12B4S a while ago, I had my Yarborough turned into a 1/10 commemorative knife to honor the Groups presence in Bad Tölz when I worked with them back in the old days.

edit: photos of unauthorized item removed

Eagle5US
02-02-2007, 03:50
As I told 12B4S a while ago, I had my Yarborough turned into a 1/10 commemorative knife to honor the Groups presence in Bad Tölz when I worked with them back in the old days.
I notice you do not currently have the QP title assigned-is your knife a Yarborough or is it a Green Beret?

Eagle

mike-munich
02-02-2007, 04:21
I notice you do not currently have the QP title assigned-is your knife a Yarborough or is it a Green Beret?

Eagle

Eagle,

it´s a Green Beret. I would love a serialed one, but do not qualify for it. Hence the "commemorative version".

This is the one that was presented to me by the team along with a Green Beret at Flint Kaserne when 1st Bn. left for Panzer:

Mike

The Reaper
02-02-2007, 09:04

Mike, I hate to say it, but I find your copy of a Yarborough knife way too close to an attempt to counterfeit the real thing.

This is disappointing to me. I am sure that LTG Yarborough would NOT be impressed.

TR

Bill Harsey
02-02-2007, 09:29
Mike-munich, As per orders from United States Army Special Operations Command written to govern the Yarborough Knife Project, the ONLY knives that can be marked "Yarborough" are to be sold or issued to United States Army Special Forces personnel approved by United States Army Special Operations Command, in Ft. Bragg NC.

The engraved name "Yarborough" will remain unique to these knives issued or sold by USASOC to the vetted members of Army Special Forces that have earned the right to wear the Green Beret.

Edited to add: I have to strongly protest the engraving of the name Yarborough on this knife. We would NEVER engrave any knife with that name that wasn't ordered from us by USASOC. That engraving needs to be removed or the knife destroyed.

William W. Harsey, Designer of the Yarborough knife.

x SF med
02-02-2007, 11:34
Mike-
I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Harsey remove the engraving or destroy the knife. I am a QP, I missed my chance at a Yarborough, I bought a GB, and would never think of engraving it, I had Mr. Harsey sign the blade instead.

Should I get another chance at procuring a Yarborough, I will take it, but I would never 'embellish' a knife with an unauthorized imprint that so closely resembled an earned item.

Eagle5US
02-02-2007, 11:52
Mike-

I can appreciate your service to 1/10. Though your intention may have been good, what you have done instead is both very wrong and quite disrespectful. The knife should be indeed either be destroyed or the engraving completely removed.

Eagle

mike-munich
02-02-2007, 12:22
Gentlemen,

I´m sorry that my idea of having a commemorative blade seems disrespectful to you. I didn´t mean to produce a counterfeit copy (I would have put on a serial number then. Instead I just marked it with the Groups designation).

I did not mean to insult neither any of the QP´s, nor Mr. Harsey. I would have loved his signatur on the knife instead too.

Unfortunately the piece is too expensive to be destroyed. I will have the lettering removed instead and put a new coating on it.

Again, please accept my apologies. I will make sure the engraving is removed a.s.a.p.

Good man. Everyone can make a mistake, real men own up to them.

TS

Snaquebite
02-02-2007, 12:35
Good plan Mike, and good response.

x SF med
02-02-2007, 12:38
Thanks Mike, knew you were a good man.

mike-munich
02-02-2007, 12:53
Thank you for your understanding and accepting my apology Gentlemen. And for your trust and support. This is exactely how I remember the QP´s in Tölz.

Bill Harsey
02-02-2007, 13:24
Mike-munich,
Thank you. I've been thinking how to help carefully change the engraving, let me run this by you:
Try getting a machinist or perhaps even the engraver to use a square bottom carbide cutter and lightly mill the smallest possible rectangle at the least amount of depth that just takes away the lettering in question.
Do not remove the other mark, if you want.

In this new field, use it to place another engraving that would be appropriate to your experience with these men, perhaps using two lines of text like this,

"United States Army Special Forces"
"date, place etc."

Now whatever is engraved in that place will be framed and look right.

Feel free to show us when it's done.
Thanks,
Bill

mike-munich
02-02-2007, 13:38
Mr. Harsey, Sir,

thank you very much for the input. I´m sure the guy that helped me with the current unauthorized engraving will have the tool you mentioned.

If this is approved by the QP´s on this board, as well as by you, I´d like to put the following on there:

"US Special Forces Support 1/10 SFG"

I´d be happy to post the photos of the changed blade.

Thank you again Sir,

Mike

Bill Harsey
02-02-2007, 14:00
Mike,
Sounds good to me and I'm pretty sure the QP's will agree. That would be a unique and classy engraving on your knife.

If this is the case, you might want to consider moving the rectangle out to re-do the entire field "new".

I'm also guessing this might take a couple carbide cutters as the CPM S-30V contains enough vanadium carbides to be kinda difficult to machine easily but your not removing very much material.

Eagle5US
02-02-2007, 14:05
Hey Mike-
Your response was quite refreshing. Thank you.
Please accept my wish for the absolute best of luck with your revision. If you would be kind enough to post what your "new" blade looks like on completion, I would certainly be interested in seeing it.

v/r
Eagle

Radar Rider
02-02-2007, 17:37
This conundrum with Mike has brought me to ask a question of my own. I am a support guy in 3rd Group, and own a "Green Beret" knife that my wife bought for me at Christmas a few years ago. When I go to Afghanistan, will it be wrong to take my Green Beret knife (everybody wants a "cool knife", whether or not it is used)? I just want to avoid any questions.

The Reaper
02-02-2007, 19:19
This conundrum with Mike has brought me to ask a question of my own. I am a support guy in 3rd Group, and own a "Green Beret" knife that my wife bought for me at Christmas a few years ago. When I go to Afghanistan, will it be wrong to take my Green Beret knife (everybody wants a "cool knife", whether or not it is used)? I just want to avoid any questions.

Not unless you are planning to mark it with LTG Yarborough's name or your CoC orders you not to bring any knives.

TR

x SF med
02-02-2007, 20:16
Mike,
Please post pictures of the new engraving - sounds like it's going to be something to see!

Radar Rider
02-03-2007, 12:29
Not unless you are planning to mark it with LTG Yarborough's name or your CoC orders you not to bring any knives.

TR
No Sir, I do not plan to do any engraving. I like the knife just the way it is.

Bill Harsey
02-03-2007, 18:52
Your good to go.

mike-munich
02-04-2007, 05:14
Thank you all. I will get in touch with the engraving guy this week and have him work on the blade. I´d be happy to post the outcome here right after it´s done.

CPTAUSRET
02-04-2007, 08:49
Good on ya, Mike!

sg1987
02-04-2007, 12:46
Thank you all. I will get in touch with the engraving guy this week and have him work on the blade. I´d be happy to post the outcome here right after it´s done.

Way to man up. Character.

mike-munich
07-20-2007, 03:25
Mike,
Please post pictures of the new engraving - sounds like it's going to be something to see!

It´s been a while, but I just received my knife back from CRK. Thanks again Bill for helping me out here !! (Bill Harsey arranged for the engraving to be changed, free of charge).

As requested, I´m happy to present the new blade to you Gentlemen:

Bill Harsey
07-20-2007, 03:28
Mike,
Outstanding result!
Thank you very much for posting the pic here.

mike-munich
07-20-2007, 03:33
Bill, thank you again for helping me out and arranging things ! I really appreciate your help (and owe you several beers...)

The Old Guy
07-20-2007, 11:23
I have been in contact with “Heather” at Chris Reeves Knives and will pick up a 7” Green Beret next month as I pass through Boise. I will also get a tour of the facility, which I am greatly anticipating.

The biggest question is does anyone know for fact or heard rumors if another run of the YARBROUGH knife will be commissioned by SOCOM? I learned of the YARBROUGH knife too late to get one, but would sure enjoy having one off the second run. Even if I have a Green Beret knife, you cannot have too many knives; kind of like guns, you cannot have too many.

TOG

The Reaper
07-20-2007, 16:30
The biggest question is does anyone know for fact or heard rumors if another run of the YARBROUGH knife will be commissioned by SOCOM? I learned of the YARBROUGH knife too late to get one, but would sure enjoy having one off the second run. Even if I have a Green Beret knife, you cannot have too many knives; kind of like guns, you cannot have too many.

TOG

I have heard nothing about this.

The last Y knife run took several years to sell out, and IIRC, the SWCS CG decided not to vet and approve the paperwork any more. Even so, there were knives in stock as recently as this spring, months after the decision to stop was issued.

CRK could make a new run as soon as SWCS asked them to. If someone were to turn up the heat and ask the right people, it could happen quickly.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2007, 16:35
It´s been a while, but I just received my knife back from CRK. Thanks again Bill for helping me out here !! (Bill Harsey arranged for the engraving to be changed, free of charge).

As requested, I´m happy to present the new blade to you Gentlemen:

Great job, Mike. You are an honorable guy!

12B4S
07-21-2007, 01:56
That looks fantastic Mike. The guys on that Team you worked with at times would definately approve. :cool: I know you had a good time while over here, I just hope Razor bought ALL your beers as I ..... ummmm......... suggested. Yea that`s the word. :D

The Old Guy
07-21-2007, 07:16
I have heard nothing about this.

The last Y knife run took several years to sell out, and IIRC, the SWCS CG decided not to vet and approve the paperwork any more. Even so, there were knives in stock as recently as this spring, months after the decision to stop was issued.

CRK could make a new run as soon as SWCS asked them to. If someone were to turn up the heat and ask the right people, it could happen quickly.

TR

Strange, as I called the CofS office and inquired about getting on the list ten months or so back. I was told that they no longer did that and the knives had all be spoken for at that time.

Maybe misinformation on behalf of the secretary?

The Reaper
07-21-2007, 08:24
Strange, as I called the CofS office and inquired about getting on the list ten months or so back. I was told that they no longer did that and the knives had all be spoken for at that time.

Maybe misinformation on behalf of the secretary?

They stopped vetting people.

The Gift Shop wound up creating new lists at least three times because of guys who requested them and were vetted, and never paid up or came to pick up the knife.

Hammer on the SFA about it, IMHO, they should be vetting and selling them, if SWCS and the Gift Shop won't.

TR

SF_BHT
07-21-2007, 13:50
Is the SFA going to pick up the banner and vet and sell them:confused: ?

Team Sergeant
07-21-2007, 16:15
Is the SFA going to pick up the banner and vet and sell them:confused: ?

Tell you what (and I've told this to the SFA) we'll sell them off of here if its a problem. If SFA vetted them we could take care of the rest.;)

TS

SF_BHT
07-21-2007, 16:34
Tell you what (and I've told this to the SFA) we'll sell them off of here if its a problem. If SFA vetted them we could take care of the rest.;)

TS

Wish they would agree..... Wanted one since I heard of them and would like to pass it to my son if he goes SF. A Father son thing. He is planning on applying next year when he gets on active duty.

Tried ordering one but got the run around by the ladys..... Hard to do it from South of the Border.

TS keep the pressure up on them and if you need help let me know.

SF_BHT

kgoerz
07-21-2007, 19:21
I missed the Boat also. If there is a list to sign or a person to write let us know. Ill commit to buying one. All I have now is a stick with a nail on the end of it:boohoo

The Old Guy
07-21-2007, 21:15
I am ready to pay for it now! In advance, if required.

Team Sergeant
07-21-2007, 21:35
Sounds like we have a (new) mission......;)

TS

Air.177
07-21-2007, 22:49
All I have now is a stick with a nail on the end of it:boohoo

Whoa Whoa Whoa! You aren't Planning on getting rid of a fine piece of equipment like that for just a Harsey knife, Are you? The GB/Yarborough is fine and good, but the board with a nail in it represents Old world craftsmanship rendered in finest third world quality Materials. There is speculation that just such an Implement may be the preferred weapon of the formidable NDD, just as the Lightsabre was to the Jedi. :D

:munchin

Good times,
blake

kgoerz
07-22-2007, 04:14
Whoa Whoa Whoa! You aren't Planning on getting rid of a fine piece of equipment like that for just a Harsey knife, Are you? The GB/Yarborough is fine and good, but the board with a nail in it represents Old world craftsmanship rendered in finest third world quality Materials. There is speculation that just such an Implement may be the preferred weapon of the formidable NDD, just as the Lightsabre was to the Jedi. :D

:munchin

Good times,
blake

Actually we use the stick and nail as a last resort for for students during CQB. First safety violation we take his weapon away and replace it with a Sims Gun. If he continues to pose a danger to himself and those around him we take the Sims away and issue the stick and nail.

I actually constructed this device in Indonesia and briefed the Students for it's purpose. They thought it was pretty funny. But they were shit hot so they could afford to laugh at my Stick and Nail. They hung it on the wall after the course.
Those were some of the best Students I ever trained. The guys from Bali were the best. They were squared away hard charging troops. But they all had that laid back Surfer attitude.

Back on track, what can we do to convince USASOC to release more Harsey Yarborough Knives to past graduates? Obviously they have them for new graduates. But what is their reason for not allowing past graduates to buy them anymore? Did they catch people selling them or buying more then one? Why the limited run?
It's special because only SF can have one. But thats not entirely true. In reality not all SF Soldiers can own one. Just the ones who were in a position to buy one. I'm taking my stick with a nail and going home;)

SF_BHT
07-22-2007, 05:51
Back on track, what can we do to convince USASOC to release more Harsey Yarborough Knives to past graduates? Obviously they have them for new graduates. But what is their reason for not allowing past graduates to buy them anymore? Did they catch people selling them or buying more then one? Why the limited run?
It's special because only SF can have one. But thats not entirely true. In reality not all SF Soldiers can own one. Just the ones who were in a position to buy one. I'm taking my stick with a nail and going home;)

Bill told me when i asked the same questions "Who, Whatttt, Why, How can we help" that the people responsible were overwhelmed by the paperwork.
He also said that TS was talking to SFA to try to get them on board.

My thought is hell we are SF and maintaining a list, receiving money and shipping is just like trying to get the team fund out of your team mates and balancing the books for the bar. Hell we are supposed to the the best of the best. Oh I know they gave it to a bunch of secretary's that just did not want Bet we can get a bunch of Old Farts to do the Job and It should be QP's not secretary's.

I am willing also to Pay NOW for the Knife if that would help...
Retirement and a good job now allows me to have the things that I could not have as a team member or as a Team Sergeant. Used to sacrifice to have the little things but I could not take the food out of the mouths of the kids.

This should be a new Thread and lets get the power of all active QP's and EX/Retired QP's behind it.

:D TS Tag you are it.:D

The Reaper
07-22-2007, 08:37
Here is a news flash.

The knives were on sale for at least three years and did not overwhelm the secretary. There were plenty in stock. Most people who said they wanted them never ponied up the money. It took six months for the last half dozen knives to be paid for and picked up.

The USASOC CG directed SWCS and the Gift Shop to handle all of the paperwork without providing any additional resources.

SWCS does not have an automated database, so a couple of people had to take on additional duties to make this happen.

The Gift Shop had to deal with angry customers who wanted the knife, but did not have the paperwork or creds. I suspect the Secretary had to deal with some of these people as well. They also had to order and secure serial numbered items and maintain strict accountability.

The fielding plan sucked. The first people to get knives should have been the ODAs. Then SF guys not on teams. Then new graduates. There was not enough money to do it this way, so the Team Sergeants never got the knife issued, but the newbie on the team did. Thanks a lot for your years of service, old dudes.:rolleyes:

There was never really a good plan for anything but team guys walking in on Bragg to purchase the knife in person. As soon as the non-Bragg Groups, retirees, spouses and groups for gifts, etc. started making special requests for the knives, more rules had to be made, along with exceptions.

As soon as the USASOC CG who pushed this on SWCS was gone and SWCS was able to get out of this requirement, they did.

I do not see them picking it up again without significant pressure.

TR

SF_BHT
07-22-2007, 15:54
Good info. Let us know when they get it back on track.:munchin

kgoerz
07-22-2007, 20:40
Thanks for the clarification. Next time it has to be mandatory full payment before time and resources are are used to vet someone. I don't blame them for being pissed. I remember trying to take orders for shirts and hats before receiving payment. We had to make everyone pay first because we got stuck with extra Hats and Shirts every class. Or we would sell the extras off and the guy who originally ordered would show up a month later asking for his shirt. Only sure way is to collect all the money first.
I had the SFAUC fund pretty high. It was nice to get people good gifts and not have to collect money for flowers or to help someone out. Also having extra coins and T-Shirts for visitors went a long way.
Before anyone says anything we had the Group Commanders blessing to run this fund for said purposes. Of course he might not of had permission. Usually his name had the most IOU'S on the frig each month. Sucks having to tell the Group Commander to pay up.

mike-munich
07-23-2007, 00:30
Great job, Mike. You are an honorable guy!

Mille grazie, signore ! :cool:

That looks fantastic Mike. The guys on that Team you worked with at times would definately approve. I know you had a good time while over here, I just hope Razor bought ALL your beers as I ..... ummmm......... suggested. Yea that`s the word.

Thanks Brad ! I had a very good time. Good talking to you on the phone ! Actually Razor and I were taking turns buying the beer at the Sufferin´ Bastards Tavern. :D

The Old Guy
07-23-2007, 12:36
Sounds like we have a (new) mission......;)

TS

TS,

PM inbound.