PDA

View Full Version : Not a Good Day to Die

18C4V
03-18-2005, 16:35
Not a Good Day to Die : The Untold Story of Operation Anaconda
by Sean Naylor

I just finished reading the book. Great reading.

Leozinho
03-19-2005, 07:51
For those of us in Fayetteville, the author will be signing books at the Airborne and Special Operations Museum downtown today from 11am-3pm.

Linda Robinson will also be signing her book, Masters of Chaos; The Secret History of the Special Forces.

http://www.thepilot.com/books/031305museum.html

Rotor Strike
03-19-2005, 10:55
For those of us in Fayetteville, the author will be signing books at the Airborne and Special Operations Museum downtown today from 11am-3pm.

Linda Robinson will also be signing her book, Masters of Chaos; The Secret History of the Special Forces.

http://www.thepilot.com/books/031305museum.html

Explain.... calling names and leaving it at that is childish.

Team Sergeant

Ghostrider
05-16-2005, 13:10
Just finished this book about Operation Anaconda by Sean Naylor. Accurate depiction or not?

Rotor Strike
05-16-2005, 20:05
I know for a fact that his description of the CENTCOM side of the house is completely false. The guy never interviewed anyone from CENTCOM, which has made a policy not to slander the commanders in the field for their poor planning. Evidently, these folks in the book don't have the same level of integrity.

Ghostrider
05-16-2005, 20:15
I was hoping you would have some insight Ryan, especially since it did not portray your dad in a very positive manner and in fact was pretty harsh. I definitely noticed some "one-sidedness" (is that a word?). So from the CENTCOM perspective I can see some issues.

Now how about other aspects, specifically the accuracy (and/or lack of) events on the ground as opposed to the more political issues? (obviously nothing that would violate OPSEC/PERSEC)

Roguish Lawyer
06-03-2005, 11:49
I bought this a while back but haven't read it yet. Other opinions?

Bill Harsey
06-13-2005, 11:22
I'm reading the book now.
It was great to meet you at Blade Ryan!
Thanks for your comments on the book, I will be advised.
Bill

Trip_Wire (RIP)
06-13-2005, 12:06
I bought this a while back but haven't read it yet. Other opinions?

I have read this book and generally enjoyed it. It did bring out what appeared to be poor planning communications and overall coordination. It was especially hard on one SEAL officer and the SEALs in general.

Of course, I have no "inside info," to judge the validity of these things; however, like most plans, especially battle plans they don't usually survive the first contact with the enemy.

Overall, I thought it was an intereseting read and complimentry to Spec Ops and Special Forces. :munchin

Bill Harsey
06-15-2005, 19:29
Finished.

At the very least the book illustrated the complexity of many branches working together (or not) in modern specialized warfare.

Roguish Lawyer
07-10-2005, 17:43
Finished.

At the very least the book illustrated the complexity of many branches working together (or not) in modern specialized warfare.

Now that is an understatement. I have about 100 pages left.

504PIR
07-11-2005, 06:58
Just finished it last night. I thought it was a good book. It made a good point about intergrating different commands. Granted I never worked above Bn. level, but the planning process used "IMHO"from Centcom down the chain was not up to standard. To much micro-managing, everybody wanting to get their dog in the fight and NO clear cut chain of command.

On the other hand there were some brave, resourceful men in that book. Thank God that this country has them.

KBAR_O4
08-04-2005, 15:23
I thought it was pretty accurate, aside from mispelling a few names and not putting my name in...:UI Intel Officer...I guess I should have talked to the guy.. It may burn some buns but I did participate in some of the conferences mentioned in the book and the general gist of the command and control situation is correct. I only know what happened from the point of view of the JSOTF level (receiving direction from SOCCENT and CENTCOM) and Im sure there was more behind the scenes that Im unaware of. Likewise, the book is presented from the specific perspective of the planners and troops on the ground in Afghanistan. Those further in the rear have their own perspective/side of things Im sure.

kwu
02-02-2006, 15:57
Just finished the book as well and thought it was a good read overall. One thing I was very surprised about was the amount of exposure AFO received, including identifying guys and key players like Speedy.