PDA

View Full Version : Chalk one up for Morse code!

gk404
05-07-2005, 11:22
How does that saying go? Slow is smooth, smooth is fast... or something like that?

Source: http://engadget.com/entry/1234000463042528/
Morse code trumps SMS in head-to-head speed texting combat

Posted May 6, 2005, 1:45 PM ET by Barb Dybwad
Related entries: Cellphones

Morse code

Okay, the world title for fastest text messaging is still raging in the streets. The victor in the most recent contest was a bit of a dark horse — 93-year-old telegraph operator Gordon Hill delivered a resounding ass-whoopin’ to his rival, 13-year-old Brittany Devlin, using Morse Code. Of course, Mr. Hill does have nigh on 80 years of practice under his belt, which was enough to help him triumph even despite Brittany’s liberal use of texting slang (Mr. Hill transmitted the chosen phrase verbatim). The showdown was sponsored by the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney, Australia, and the rivals had to transmit the following message: “Hey, girlfriend, you can text all your best pals to tell them where you are going and what you are wearing.” Damn straight! Screw the T9, Engadget’s switching over to Morse from now on.

Sdiver
05-07-2005, 12:09
.- .-- . ... --- -- . :D

Martin
05-07-2005, 12:14
Since you mention it, would you recommend learning American morse code in addition to international?

Radar Rider
05-07-2005, 15:10
I find the above to be very interesting, as part of my job entails keeping an eye on the badguys based on their morse code transmissions ('nuff said).

What that older gentleman proved is that morse code is still a viable means of communication, and will also continue to be a target of exploitation in some instances.

Sweetbriar
05-07-2005, 15:19
I've never text messaged over a phone. How would you do it in Morse code? Is there an audio feature or did he type out the dots and dashes like Sdiver did?

ghuinness
05-07-2005, 18:37
I've never text messaged over a phone. How would you do it in Morse code? Is there an audio feature or did he type out the dots and dashes like Sdiver did?

FWIW, I wouldn't. I'd use CSD (Circuit Switched Data) and add encryption (secure mode).

There are attachments for devices to assist the blind (CTM) and I think these devices, and the necessary vocoder algs, are more comparable to Morse Code in terms of what is actually transmitted.

Must be the trees and wood, but for me, comparing SMS to Morse Code is an invalid comparison. They are entirely different in purpose and implementation.

SMS was not designed for speed. It is allocated to the Slow Access Channels (SACCH) when voice is active because it is deemed less important. Works as designed......they needed a study to figure this out? Why MC is no longer required is also a puzzle to me. Too much dependence on new-improved-murphy controlled technology.

I notice they kept the length to < 160 bytes to fit in one frame. Wonder how long it would take to write 65K worth of data (max SMS assembled message) and transmit that in MC? (and persistently retry transmission to the destination).

My .02

Sweetbriar
05-07-2005, 19:15
FWIW, I wouldn't. I'd use CSD (Circuit Switched Data) and add encryption (secure mode).

There are attachments for devices to assist the blind (CTM) and I think these devices, and the necessary vocoder algs, are more comparable to Morse Code in terms of what is actually transmitted.

Must be the trees and wood, but for me, comparing SMS to Morse Code is an invalid comparison. They are entirely different in purpose and implementation.

SMS was not designed for speed. It is allocated to the Slow Access Channels (SACCH) when voice is active because it is deemed less important. Works as designed......they needed a study to figure this out? Why MC is no longer required is also a puzzle to me. Too much dependence on new-improved-murphy controlled technology.

I notice they kept the length to < 160 bytes to fit in one frame. Wonder how long it would take to write 65K worth of data (max SMS assembled message) and transmit that in MC? (and persistently retry transmission to the destination).

My .02

Um... yeah, you bet. (Did he answer my question, anyone?)

Radar Rider
05-07-2005, 19:39

My .02
"Real World" employment of morse code takes into account all factors of security. Encryption and one time pads being the most prevalent.

If one can communicate over HF securely where all other methods fail, morse is still a good method.