PDA

View Full Version : Options

califas
05-07-2005, 09:57
Just received the bad news that I was not selected by the SF board. I am currently on degree completion and owe the Army five years of service. I have ten years of active service. What I'm wondering is if anyone out there knows of another option for me to still try for SF. I started looking into FA39 ( I know its not SF but at least I would be within the community). Any help on my options (I already know about the "suck it up and drive on" option) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time. :confused:

The Reaper
05-07-2005, 10:22
Do a good job in your MOS, do what the people at the board told you that you needed to do to be successful next time, and come back in a year or so.

Were you Non-Selected or NTRed?

If you went as an officer, you will probably not be able to return.

TR

califas
05-07-2005, 10:29
I appologize for not making my post as clear as it should have been. I am commisioned and I was rejected by the accessions board, so I didn't even make it to selection. Once again any help would be great, and if my only option is the "suck it up and drive on" then thanks for the info.

The Reaper
05-07-2005, 10:51
I appologize for not making my post as clear as it should have been. I am commisioned and I was rejected by the accessions board, so I didn't even make it to selection. Once again any help would be great, and if my only option is the "suck it up and drive on" then thanks for the info.

The only two ways for SF service now would be to resign your commission and go as enlisted, or to leave AD and try as a NG officer.

You might be eligible for CA or PSYOP, depending on your YG.

Best of luck.

TR

califas
05-07-2005, 10:56
TR,

Thanks for the info

tyrsnbdr
05-09-2005, 19:53
Unfortunately, I’m in the same situation as Califas and I’m trying to think through my options. My question is: what are the social effects of an officer RIF’n to become an NCO and trying out for SF? Are they looked down on or treated based on their abilities? I heard of a situation of a guy resigning his commission, joining SF and after a couple of years, reapplying for his commission. Opinions?

Thank you in advance for any advice given. I have 2 years left on my ADSO for me to make a decision and I want to make the best decision for me.

lksteve
05-09-2005, 20:01
i can't speak for what's going on in the field now, but i was a charter member of the
FA 39 training program at Bragg in 1990...i have some friends still in the field...send me a PM and i'll answer what i can and send out for help with what i can't...

NousDefionsDoc
05-09-2005, 22:04
I knew a man that was a Captain in the USMC and resigned his commission to become a Special Operations Medical Sergeant. Other than me smacking him upside the head every now and then and calling him a dumbass, I never him repercussed at all.

BDDM
05-10-2005, 08:25
I understand it frustrating... but why not just wait and reapply next year?

The Reaper
05-10-2005, 08:34
I understand it frustrating... but why not just wait and reapply next year?

Because the Year Group window for officers is only open for about 12 months, and SF has way more officer applicants than we need right now.

Officers are further held to a higher standard at SFAS and assessed on leadership potential as well, because our NCOs deserve nothing less than the best officers that we can find to lead them.

Unfortunately, not everyone can come, or be selected, and we probably lose some good 18As that way, but it is the best system that we can come up with.

TR

BDDM
05-10-2005, 08:41
Guys, did some checking on your options with the Chief of SF recruiting here. This new system of One Officer, One packet, One time.... is holding hard right now:

His points on your options

1. SMU Selection. Right now for Officers: this is a one time shot also once you report to the selection. Back that changes frequently.

2. CA option. 96th CA is very busy and traveling the world. They can always use people.

3. NG SF. You can reapply under the NG system. Not a good option for you right now.

4. Request a waiver for second look. His point: if it is what you really want to do, no harm in asking.

Good luck,

BDDM

BDDM
05-10-2005, 08:42
Thanks TR

lksteve
05-10-2005, 13:03
I never him repercussed at all.
:confused: how did a jarhead make it through as a medic? :eek:

califas
06-03-2005, 16:01
tyrsnbdr,
I have been doing some research and going NG is a real possibility. I have decided to leave active and transfer into the guard, 19th group. A CW5 with the unit is helping me out and says my obligation will tranfer over to the guard. So this might be an option you want to look into, I'm in colorado so it works out for me. The only down side is you need to find a civilian job, I'm looking into law enforcement so anyone on this site with advice it will be welcome. If you have any questions let me know.

tyrsnbdr
06-03-2005, 17:32
Califas,

Thank you for the info. I have 2 years left on my ADSO which will take me to Afganistan and back. I was thinking about 19th Group out of CA. I know I could get a AGR or GS job in that State as a fall back (I have a lot of connections :) ) or I could use my degree and be an engineer :( .

My decision process is: Do I want to go to Ranger school (after the depolyment) and do I want to go to SCCC while I'm still on AD? Oh yeah, what does the wife want me to do? Can't forget that one. ;)

I have found a local 18D who decided to mentor me, so maybe he can get me out of the JOC so I can do some fun stuff. I'm studing the Pushto culture and language and teaching myself as much about communications as I can so when I hit my decision point, I can be an asset.

Best of luck to you too.

lksteve
06-03-2005, 18:25
Califas,

Thank you for the info. I have 2 years left on my ADSO which will take me to Afganistan and back. I was thinking about 19th Group out of CA. I know I could get a AGR or GS job in that State as a fall back (I have a lot of connections :) ) or I could use my degree and be an engineer

if you go to 19th out of NoCal and want to be an engineer, look me up...

msgec
05-21-2006, 00:42

califas
06-20-2006, 11:58
I contacted CO NG group, CW5 over there said I could transfer my active duty obligation to NG, S1 of the group said I would have to prove myself before they sent me to SFAS. My branch manager said I was out of my mind, my obligation couldn't be transfered. Long story short still considering going enlisted. Hope that helps.