PDA

View Full Version : After Basic

ActionJackson
05-06-2005, 12:50
Hi, my name Is Kenny Jackson and I start Basic 06162005. I want to thank you for being the only place (as far as I know) that allows civilians to ask you great men questions about SF and get answers. I realize you men have a very busy scheldule and it is very kind of you to take time out for kids like myself. The origin of this thread is to find out information that no one has been able to grant me. When I went to MEPs, I was dissappointed when I learned that they would not be able to offer SF in my contract due to a past DUI. Then, another felt blow when they informed me they would not be able to offer me Ranger school. I was devestated but I wasn't gonna give up on my dream by these minor details. They told me that almost everyone is offered Ranger school and that it wasn't a big deal because I would easily have an opprotunity at Ranger school. As a SF soldier, what kind of steps would you recommend me take to get a shot at SF? I have yet been able to speak directly to a SF soldier, so again, your response is greatly respected and appreciated.

The Reaper
05-06-2005, 14:12
AJ:

This lamentable error in judgement is going to continue to haunt you for the rest of your life.

Having said that, do not deny it (or it will be worse), just fess up and avoid alcohol related incidents in the future.

We see a lot of kids with one or two mistakes on their records who straighten up and are selected.

Work on building a history of good performance and no additional drinking problems.

Repeated incidents of the same nature mark you as a person who does not learn from his mistakes and one who is unlikely to be selected, regardless of your performance in SFAS.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

TR

ActionJackson
05-06-2005, 15:00
Thank you very much, sir. Your wise words are very encouraging. There's no one night that could possibly be fun/exciting enough to put my life's goals and dreams at risk. Make note of the last name and maybe I'll have the honor of shaking your hand someday.... if I'm lucky! By the way, thanks once more, sir!

NousDefionsDoc
05-06-2005, 15:17
Excellent posts young man. Wherever you end up, soldier hard. Best of luck to you.

Roguish Lawyer
05-06-2005, 15:18
Good luck, AJ.

The Reaper
05-06-2005, 15:34
Note to others.

This is how you ask questions, cowboy up, accept responsibility, and get on with your life.

Learn from this, as AJ has.

TR

Desert Fox
05-06-2005, 15:35
Yeah! Good luck man!
Stay sharp!

ActionJackson
05-06-2005, 15:37
Thank you very much, sir. I appreciate both posts. I'm gonna' turn that phrase into my favorite. That one's gonna' stay with me all the way through! Thanks again, sir.

ActionJackson
05-06-2005, 15:55
Thanks to the others, too! Ya'll posted faster than I could reply. I really appreciate the support; God knows I'm not getting any (support) from my mom and girlfriend! :)

NousDefionsDoc
05-06-2005, 15:57
Don't mess up a good thing by starting to whine about women. Let it go and move on. Go post a joke in the comedy forum.

alphamale
05-06-2005, 15:59
Don't mess up a good thing by starting to whine about women. Listen to NDD :D .

FrontSight

ActionJackson
05-06-2005, 16:10
Sorry sir. Affirmative.

The Reaper
05-06-2005, 18:03
Sorry sir. Affirmative.

That is him.

Mr. FrontSight.

But you don't have to listen to his advice. Ever.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
05-06-2005, 18:35
That is him.

Mr. FrontSight.

But you don't have to listen to his advice. Ever.

TR

LMAO!

alphamale
05-06-2005, 18:48
Brat !!! :p

TR, as previously established, you are just jealous of my smooth cylinder.

People email me "Sir, Bro" etc., about knife stuff and I never correct them. I figure it makes my muscle striations bigger. :lifter

Although with all the duct tape suggestions from that other topic, that could work too.

FrontSight

The Reaper
05-06-2005, 19:08
Brat !!! :p

People email me "Sir, Bro" etc., about knife stuff and I never correct them. I figure it makes my muscle striations bigger. :lifter

Although with all the duct tape suggestions from that other topic, that could work too.

FrontSight

Glad that you don't take it as an indicator of a lack of XX femininity or anything. :D

If it is for your muscles, you need more of it. Get pushing.

TR

alphamale
05-06-2005, 19:35
If it is for your muscles, you need more of it. Get pushing.The Duct Tape is to aid in concealment (when trying to come across as a XY) of the femme-species' anatomically superior chest structures. :lifter

That's what you XYs all suggested! :fswhip:

FrontSight

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-06-2005, 19:40
The Duct Tape is to aid in concealment (when trying to come across as a XY) of the femme-species' anatomically superior chest structures. :lifter

FrontSight

Damn, and I thought it was for your mouth. After all the smut remarks like "Brat",
"Meanie" and other just unmentionable utterences it is the only control that is available to protect us from your barbed wit :D

Roguish Lawyer
05-06-2005, 20:41

Razor!

alphamale
05-06-2005, 20:42
I thought it was for your mouth.Noooooooooo. I am quite sure the very kind and benevolent Reaper would never want that.

After all the smut remarks like "Brat","Meanie" and other just unmentionable utterences Sir Jack, you are so perceptive! I did, in fact, weigh the epithet "Meanie!" vs "Brat!" when I replied to TR. I decided on "Brat!".

Don't forget "Boogar!" for Razor, on occasion. Jo Sul and Sacamuelas are "twisted pups". Team Sergeant is usually "Meanie".

And I'm saving some for effect and just to not be too predictable. ::glare::

Mr. Harsey is the only adorable one!

it is the only control that is available to protect us from your barbed wit :DSee ActionJ, quivering in their Army boots :D ! :fswhip:

OK, I'll try to be a smidge less intimidating. :lifter

Although I am in an aggressive mood. I'm going to find a gun range where I am this weekend and bet an XY out of his gun. :D (kidding)

FrontSight

Roguish Lawyer
05-06-2005, 20:43
Mr. Harsey is the only adorable one!

Suck-up.

The Reaper
05-06-2005, 20:56
Although I am in an aggressive mood. I'm going to find a gun range where I am this weekend and bet an XY out of his gun. :D (kidding)

FrontSight

Aside from the strange situation of finding a range where you are (are you Alice?), I would remind you of the unsuitability of the term "gun".

"This is my rifle, this is my gun.

This is for fighting, and this is for fun!"

Did you mean handgun or pistol?

Razor, I think you are AWOL or the "smooth cylinder" envy would have been noted by now.

TR

alphamale
05-06-2005, 21:08
Aside from the strange situation of finding a range where you areStrange !?!

I have 3 I've never been to before to choose from!

Alice?

I would remind you of the unsuitability of the term "gun".

Did you mean handgun or pistol?TR, there is no difference between handgun and pistol! (is there, TS?) You are just trying to get my goat!

Razor, I think you are AWOL or the "smooth cylinder" envy would have been noted by now.That rascal Razor merely realizes and acknowledges the superiority of my smooth cylinder. See pic 1.

FrontSight

The Reaper
05-06-2005, 21:18
Strange !?!

I have 3 I've never been to before to choose from!

"I'm going to find a gun range where I am this weekend and bet an XY out of his gun."

Any of you high schoolers want to point out the grammatical errors in the above quote?

Alice?

See "Alice in Wonderland", a reference to your confused location and tense above.

TR, there is no difference between handgun and pistol! (is there, TS?) You are just trying to get my goat!

Riddle me this FSgirl:

Is a revolver a handgun?

Is it a pistol?

That rascal Razor merely realizes and acknowledges the superiority of my smooth cylinder. See pic 1.
FrontSight

Good attempt at a cover-up, but we know what you really meant.

TR

alphamale
05-06-2005, 21:33
Good attempt at a cover-up, but we know what you really meant.Now I can't help it if both references could be valid given the context of my original statement!

And Razor's silence doesn't mean he's on an AWOL, it means he agrees with me! :lifter

As for your other questions, I will obtain consult before answering. :p

FrontSight

ActionJackson
05-07-2005, 10:13
Sir, may I take a stab? It appears to me that a handgun and a pistol have the same attributes: both are designed to be fired with one hand. But, if I had to make a decison, I would classify a revolver under handgun, sir.

Sdiver
05-07-2005, 10:26
AJ....Shhhhhh....grown ups are talking. :D

Watch and learn, just how to handle that "other" species known as WOMAN. :munchin

(taking notes myself)

ActionJackson
05-07-2005, 18:38
Yes sir. :)

The Reaper
05-07-2005, 19:22
Hey, FS!

Got your answers yet?

TR

Razor
05-07-2005, 20:01
And Razor's silence doesn't mean he's on an AWOL, it means he agrees with me!

Hold on there, Skippy. Just because I'm away learning new and aneurysm-inducing space geek stuff doesn't mean you're my new spokeschick. :rolleyes: However, please feel free to send me all the pictures of your 'smooth cylinder' you want. I'll be more than happy to scrutinize them in depth while constructing my personal opinion of it. BTW, do you prefer Militec or Breakfree to keep it working properly?

alphamale
05-07-2005, 21:29
Watch and learn, just how to handle that "other" species known as WOMAN. :munchin (taking notes myself)Alas, Sdiver, there are certain subspecies of Femme types that can't be handled :lifter.

*Somewhere* in PS.com, the Team Sergeant said that he would rather wrestle with a naked alligator (or was it an oiled alligator?) then try to control me, and Mr. Harsey said something interesting along those lines as well, but all my Search-Fu for 10 minutes will not turn it up. It might have been in one of those threads that that rascal Ambush Master scuttled. ::sniff::

But I swear he said it!

Hey, FS! Got your answers yet?No. I have yet to complete the needed consult before giving my Final Answer.

Hold on there, Skippy. Just because I'm away learning new and aneurysm-inducing space geek stuff doesn't mean you're my new spokeschick.Oh yes it does!! :D

Just ask Mr. Harsey! We have a similar agreement! He takes a weekend off. I take control. He has no worries!!! :lifter

FrontSight

Razor
05-07-2005, 21:37
He takes a weekend off. I take control. He has no worries!!!

Thanks...you're a regular Buddy Pine.

The Reaper
05-07-2005, 21:45
Just ask Mr. Harsey! We have a similar agreement! He takes a weekend off. I take control. He has no worries!!! :lifter

FrontSight

I am not sure that I would go that far.

TR

Sdiver
05-07-2005, 22:46
Just ask Mr. Harsey! We have a similar agreement! He takes a weekend off. I take control. He has no worries!!!

FrontSight

(looking up from notebook)

For some reason, I find it hard to imagine Mr. H relinquishing control to anyone....esp one of "them's". :D

(back to taking notes)

AJ.....you getting this down too ?

alphamale
05-08-2005, 01:17
Thanks...you're a regular Buddy Pine.?? I think you are scheming with The Reaper for ways to bring up obscure references.

I am not sure that I would go that far.When Mr. Harsey wakes up in the morning, he will set the record straight :D :lifter

FrontSight

alphamale
05-08-2005, 06:20
(looking up from notebook)[...](back to taking notes)And, to mark a serious note, the first sentence in the first reply from The Reaper:

This lamentable error in judgement is going to continue to haunt you for the rest of your life.made me think of decisions that were seemingly inconsequential at the moment, yet have the result of something suddenly going very wrong.

That's why a simple question of "Want to go camping?" from my buddies Julia and Bryce warrants a "Yes, and have you thought of all the things that can go wrong and ways you can get killed on 3-day a camping trip?"

I think it's harder to consciously realize when a situation is slowly going wrong or getting slowly worse. One way is to take a mental checkpoint and assess, "If [this situation] were to get worse, what would it be like?"

And vice versa, so you can try to make it go in the opposite direction. Thinking about that always helps me to take action whereas otherwise I might just adjust to the new [worse] situation and rationalize that it's not actually worse.

FrontSight

Smokin Joe
05-08-2005, 06:44
I think it's harder to consciously realize when a situation is slowly going wrong or getting slowly worse. One way is to take a mental checkpoint and assess, "If [this situation] were to get worse, what would it be like?"

And vice versa, so you can try to make it go in the opposite direction. Thinking about that always helps me to take action whereas otherwise I might just adjust to the new [worse] situation and rationalize that it's not actually worse.

FrontSight

I'm going to go drink like 3 more cups of coffee and re-read this.

[Walking away, shaking head, asking myself, WTF was all that about?]

Jack Moroney (RIP)
05-08-2005, 07:33

FrontSight

And here I thought you had your MBA all sewed up. We military types use a variety of tools (operations estimate, intell estimate, troop leading procedures, METTTS, area studies, area assessements and NDD's favorite OODA) to think thru stuff like this. I would have thought that you could use a similar tool from your marketing course or strategic planning course to do the same thing. Just change some of the parameters to identify where you currently are and then plug in the variables that impact on where you want to go.

Jack Moroney-cautioning that any plan is locked in jello and has to change as the variables that impact it change. Also recommending the acronymn PACE (Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency) from my non-technical commo days.

Razor
05-08-2005, 09:17
?? I think you are scheming with The Reaper for ways to bring up obscure references.

Haven't seen "The Incredibles" yet, have you?

Bill Harsey
05-08-2005, 09:45

FrontSight

Just a little study in situational awarness here...

ActionJackson
05-08-2005, 14:17
Sdiver- Yes, sir. Getting every bit, sir! ;)

The Reaper
05-08-2005, 15:34
No matter how bad things are, they could always be worse.

:D

TR

12B4S
05-10-2005, 02:37
No matter how bad things are, they could always be worse.

:D

TR

AMEN!!

alphamale
05-10-2005, 17:48
Sir Reaper, in response to my comment:

Although I am in an aggressive mood. I'm going to find a gun range where I am this weekend and bet an XY out of his gun. :D You stated / asked:I would remind you of the unsuitability of the term "gun".

Did you mean handgun or pistol?Therefore, here is:

Answer Part 1) (courtesy of someone who caught the reference)

From the movie Full Metal Jacket.
"This is my rifle! This is my gun! RECRUITS This
is for fighting! This is for fun!"

The rifle is a firearm.
The gun is not a firearm, it's for (late night) fun. Go impress TR.

Main Entry: hand·gun
Pronunciation: -"g&n
Function: noun
: a firearm (as a revolver or pistol) designed to be held and fired with one hand

Main Entry: pis·tol
Pronunciation: 'pis-t&l
Etymology: Middle French pistole, from German, from Middle High German pischulle, from Czech píst'ala, literally, pipe, fife; akin to Czech pistet to squeak
: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel; broadly :

Main Entry: re·volv·er
Pronunciation: ri-'väl-v&r, -'vol- also -'vä-v&r or -'vo-v&r
1 : one that revolves
2 : a handgun with a cylinder of several chambers brought successively into line with the barrel and discharged with the same hammer

By the definitions, a pistol and revolver are handguns. A pistol is not a revolver and vise versa.

Answer Part 2)

Therefore, to answer your question, my actual statement should have been: "... and bet an XY out of his handgun.

FrontSight