Roguish Lawyer
05-03-2005, 20:05
Your preference, please.

Go For Broke
05-03-2005, 20:30
I voted other, so I will expound by saying Mekong

jatx
05-03-2005, 20:46
Dalmore 21 on the rocks. The perfect single malt for a Southern man raised on bourbon.

Huey14
05-03-2005, 21:14
Scotch. Famous Grouse. I don't drink much, I avoid beer, so Scotch it is.

Saving my money for a bottle of the Gold Reserve. :lifter

lksteve
05-03-2005, 21:22
Whisky...(that would be what one ordered on the Auld Sod)...a single malt...there, it gets tricky...Taliskers, MacAllan...hard to say...depends on the mood...and the money...always depends on the money...

Air.177
05-03-2005, 22:21
I voted Canadian, Historically(snicker) I have preferred Canadian/rye to all others with the occasional exception of excellent single malt scotches and fine bourbons. Lately, Knob Creek and Bookers have been luring me to the dark side, but Forty Creek and Pendleton have been holding their own, along with the ever popular Crown Royal.

that's my preference and I'm stickin to it

Tropic_Mjolnir
05-03-2005, 22:46
The Macallan, Fine Oak. As far as age goes, with either women or scotch anything younger than eighteen years is just … wrong.

GTRich
05-03-2005, 22:56
Uhhh...after reading the responses I realize I may not be the most informed voter...JD and Rebel Yell is how we do it at school.

jbour13
05-04-2005, 06:25
I voted other, don't have a preference due to the chemical incompatibilty that whiskey/scotch/ bourbon and I have. Makes me :mad:

The smoother and lighter colored ones don't get me too stupid. :D

vsvo
05-04-2005, 08:33
Chivas on the rocks.

Anyone know anything about the blended single malts, like Johnnie Walker Green? One of the wine mags said it was the hot scotch this year.

tyrsnbdr
05-04-2005, 10:30
JD, I know, I'm low class, but who cares :)

mumbleypeg
05-04-2005, 12:04
I was looking for the button marked "Yes".

Gypsy
05-04-2005, 18:30
Paddy's Irish Whiskey. Since you can't get it in the States I'll usually go with Jameson or Bushmills.

Goggles Pizano
05-04-2005, 20:06
When I used to actually consume it...JD on the rocks. Then, of course, out came Mr. Hyde. :eek:

Tropic_Mjolnir
05-04-2005, 23:02
Chivas on the rocks.

Anyone know anything about the blended single malts, like Johnnie Walker Green? One of the wine mags said it was the hot scotch this year.

Usually not a fan of blended firewater, but if you want to go that route JW Blue isn’t bad.

echoes
05-16-2005, 13:55
I wonder if there is a favorite for SF? I had the pleasure of sipping Johnny Walker Blue label once...my reaction..."It will take a lot more than this to get me to like you Sir". hehehe

Holly

p.s. edited to add: If memory serves, it was a stockbroker convention where the above took place. :D

12B4S
05-17-2005, 01:47
I wonder if there is a favorite for SF? I had the pleasure of sipping Johnny Walker Blue label once...my reaction..."It will take a lot more than this to get me to like you Sir". hehehe

Holly

Holly,
I've noticed since I found this site, that the preferred Whiskey and Scotch has evolved quite a bit since I was in. Can't speak for all the QP's out here, but when I was serving, the "official" whiskey was Jim Beam. But then, we weren't all that picky. :D

DanUCSB
05-17-2005, 01:53
I have to vote American. When it comes down to it, my favorite for sittin' and sippin' comes out as Woodford Reserve. A fine whiskey, and won't break the bank.

Maker's Mark comes as a good second.

And then, of course, I'll take some good ol' Jack Daniels any time. :lifter

Huey14
05-17-2005, 02:09
Johnny Walker Green would be the hot Scotch if people could actually afford a bottle without selling the fucking Ferrari.

echoes
05-17-2005, 08:25
Holly,
I've noticed since I found this site, that the preferred Whiskey and Scotch has evolved quite a bit since I was in. Can't speak for all the QP's out here, but when I was serving, the "official" whiskey was Jim Beam. But then, we weren't all that picky. :D

Sir,
That is a great choice. If I ever do happen to be sitting next to an SF man at a bar, I will know what to buy a round of. :cool:

Holly

Para
05-17-2005, 13:02
Johnny Walker Green would be the hot Scotch if people could actually afford a bottle without selling the fucking Ferrari.

You think Green is expensive, you should try Blue. I will never again share a bottle with Joe. What the hell, it was a graduation and they should celebrate, but the horror started when they started mixing a $175 bottle of scotch with Coke and slamming it. I just shaked my head in amazement and marked it up to one of lifes lessons.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
05-17-2005, 14:24
Your preference, please.

1.) Jack Daniels Black Label

2.) Any good single malt Scotch. ie Glenlivet

Huey14
05-17-2005, 15:18
You think Green is expensive, you should try Blue. I will never again share a bottle with Joe. What the hell, it was a graduation and they should celebrate, but the horror started when they started mixing a $175 bottle of scotch with Coke and slamming it. I just shaked my head in amazement and marked it up to one of lifes lessons.

:eek:

Achilles
05-17-2005, 15:53
Beam!! Where is my Beam??? :boohoo

lrd
05-17-2005, 16:50
16 YO Lagavulin.

Some friends just brought us a bottle of 12 YO Fettercairn 1824. If I can get my husband to break it open, we'll do a little taste test this weekend. From the bottle:

Colour: Amber gold with golden highlights.
Nose: Light, stimulating fresh aroma with a hint of nutmeg, slightly dryish with notes of oak, vanilla and hints of malt.
Flavour: Nutty dryness, yet fresh with a toffee sweetness. Beautifully balanced with overtones of spice. Creamy and smooth.
We'll see.

I really like the peatiness of the Lagavulin (and my Mother's and husband's families lived on Islay a long time ago :D ).

12B4S
05-18-2005, 01:16
Sir,
That is a great choice. If I ever do happen to be sitting next to an SF man at a bar, I will know what to buy a round of. :cool:

Holly

As you can see by this thread and others out here, tastes have become a tad more expensive. Not that we didn't enjoy a fine whiskey back then. Just that the Jim Beam was designated the whiskey for SF, at least in Bad Toelz. Then again, most the guys there had been in SF for many moons, that was good enough for me. To this day when I buy whiskey, I buy Jim Beam. If you do run into a SF guy at a bar, he'll drink any round of whiskey you wanted to buy. Especially comming from a female. They're like that. Plus you could fill him in on how Jim Beam was the official whiskey of SF decades ago. :D

Beam!! Where is my Beam??? Achilles

See! There are a couple younger guys that appreciate J Beam.

By the way Holly, I was just a Demo Sergeant, not an Officer. I'll answer to alot of things, albeit in different ways.... depending on 'stuff'. 12B or Brad works. :)

cerebus the dog
05-18-2005, 16:02
Africa Corps Scoth and whiskey
Dad has several bottles.......never had anything quite like it.

lksteve
05-18-2005, 19:10
I wonder if there is a favorite for SF?
free...speaking only for myself, of course... ;)

12B4S
05-20-2005, 01:41
free...speaking only for myself, of course... ;)

There ya go Holly. I rest my case. :D

echoes
05-20-2005, 14:29
There ya go Holly. I rest my case. :D

lksteve, 12B4S:

There ya go Sir's. In any case, I know that If I have the honor of sittin' next to an SF Man, I will order whatever they desire. The least I can do! :o

Luv It!

holly

lksteve
05-20-2005, 21:32
There ya go Sir's. In any case, I know that If I have the honor of sittin' next to an SF Man, I will order whatever they desire.
i dunno if sitting with me or 12B4S would be much of an honor, but speaking for both of us, if you're buying, we're drinking.... :D
heck, we could probably talk 12B4S into buying a round or two...i know how demo men think.... ;)

12B4S
05-21-2005, 00:47
i dunno if sitting with me or 12B4S would be much of an honor, but speaking for both of us, if you're buying, we're drinking.... :D
heck, we could probably talk 12B4S into buying a round or two...i know how demo men think.... ;)

Steve is right Holly, it would be OUR honor. We sure wouldn't turn down the drinks. ;)

As much as this pains me, he's right about getting me to buy a round or two or three or... Ya see, we would accept your drinks, but they'd be the last ones you'd buy. :D

Besides, sure he knows how demo men think, because he was also a 12B4S, before he went the Officer route. Wouldn't have to twist his arm TOO hard for several rounds.

echoes
05-21-2005, 00:57
Steve is right Holly, it would be OUR honor. We sure wouldn't turn down the drinks. ;)

As much as this pains me, he's right about getting me to buy a round or two or three or... Ya see, we would accept your drinks, but they'd be the last ones you'd buy. :D

Besides, sure he knows how demo men think, because he was also a 12B4S, before he went the Officer route. Wouldn't have to twist his arm TOO hard for several rounds.

Either way Sir's, first round would be on me...and the second...on anyone else's I can twist the arms into buying, since you are America's finest!

Holly :)

12B4S
05-22-2005, 02:35
Either way Sir's, first round would be on me...and the second...on anyone else's I can twist the arms into buying, since you are America's finest!

Holly :)

I see Steve left this up to me. Regarding the last part of your post, it has taken a couple hours to respond. For myself, the guys that went before me, those I served with and didn't serve with, those that are active now and those in the future, we all thank you for the compliment. Especially from my era.

Now, that I struggled through that 'thank you'. Thank you.

I have this picture of you scurrying around a bar asking politely for some person to buy a round. Before ya put him in a hammer lock. LOL

By the way, great avatar. I have a couple Bald Eagle pics on this machine. try to post one. Never sure about the size limitations. This is several years old.

Weazle23
05-23-2005, 07:33
By the way, great avatar. I have a couple Bald Eagle pics on this machine. try to post one. Never sure about the size limitations. This is several years old.

Great pic sir.

As far as my choice of drink, I go with Maker's Mark when I can.

12B4S
05-24-2005, 01:23
Thanks Weazle23. That pic was sent to me from someone not too many months after 9/11. Obviously Navy, but what the hell, it works.

Oh, by the way, I was an NCO and I'm certainly not old enough to be called 'Sir' :D

Maker's Mark again, huh?

Weazle23
05-25-2005, 14:53
Oh, by the way, I was an NCO and I'm certainly not old enough to be called 'Sir' :D

My mistake and I'll take this opportunity to get a little stronger by knocking them out. :lifter

Maker's Mark again, huh?

Always :D Gotta love the stuff.

echoes
05-25-2005, 19:16
I see Steve left this up to me....Now, that I struggled through that 'thank you'. Thank you.
I have this picture of you scurrying around a bar asking politely for some person to buy a round. Before ya put him in a hammer lock. LOL

Well yes indeed! I actually sat with an SF Man once recently, and though He could not drink b/c he was driving, I was so very impressed. Enough so that honestly, I would put any bar-patron in a "hurt-locker" if they dared disrespect an SF Man. I think I need to travel more, honestly...so I can buy some rounds, and shake your hands, face-to-face. BTW...This is me here, just in case you ever spot me...
http://profiles.yahoo.com/outoftown4
My homepages are there under "links". Well, all a girl can do is wish and pray for the safety of all Service Personel, and especially "my guys"...SF!

:) Holly

12B4S
05-26-2005, 03:03
Well yes indeed! I actually sat with an SF Man once recently, and though He could not drink b/c he was driving, I was so very impressed. Enough so that honestly, I would put any bar-patron in a "hurt-locker" if they dared disrespect an SF Man. I think I need to travel more, honestly...so I can buy some rounds, and shake your hands, face-to-face. BTW...This is me here, just in case you ever spot me...
http://profiles.yahoo.com/outoftown4
My homepages are there under "links". Well, all a girl can do is wish and pray for the safety of all Service Personel, and especially "my guys"...SF!

:) Holly

Checked out the link. LOL, looks to me, that myself, lksteve or any other SF guy would somewhere along the line be putting some bar patron in the "hurt locker". BUT, only after watchin' for a bit. :D Damn Holly, you have enough trouble with guys hitting on you in bars, without going out there and looking for more trouble.

Alright! A skier. Was that pic taken at Tahoe or Big Bear? Looks like you are on a 'Blue". (Not that those are the only ski areas that have them.) Just tossed it in. I have three pairs of skis down here, two Downhill and one Cross Country. Havn't used them since I left CO. Reason is ......... I'm spoiled. :)

Your prayers are much appreciated for those that are out there.

My mistake and I'll take this opportunity to get a little stronger by knocking them out.

NOW, go get acclimated to Jim Beam................ ;)

lksteve
05-26-2005, 18:38
Alright! A skier. Was that pic taken at Tahoe or Big Bear? Looks like you are on a 'Blue". (Not that those are the only ski areas that have them.) Just tossed it in. I have three pairs of skis down here, two Downhill and one Cross Country. Havn't used them since I left CO .........the ski picture is Tahoe, according to her website...she has pictures from Durango, Lake Powell and Tahoe...i took another year of school at Fort Lewis College after i retired (and lived 75 miles west of Durango), surveyed all around Lake Powell and once lived in Blanding (the name says it all) and worked at Tahoe last year...she's all over my AOs...i should be scared...
I'm spoiled. you're old, too :)

Your prayers are much appreciated for those...amen...

echoes
05-26-2005, 19:59
the ski picture is Tahoe, according to her website...she has pictures from Durango, Lake Powell and Tahoe...i took another year of school at Fort Lewis College after i retired (and lived 75 miles west of Durango), surveyed all around Lake Powell and once lived in Blanding (the name says it all) and worked at Tahoe last year...she's all over my AOs...i should be scared...
you're old, too :)

amen...

Well guys, that pic was taken at "Heavenly", in Tahoe. I had a fantastic day, despite the slow down from, "the former boyfriend guy-who-had-to-be-stoned".
Since I don't get into drugs... I headed down the backside of the mountain with a couple shots of Hot Damn. You know, a person can do anything while skiing...it's all in the head!
I can only fathom what it must have been like to be skiing, forging, and climbing and being on a mission at the same time. Well, they do not call You
"Special Forces" for nothing. :cool:

Luv It,
Holly

12B4S
05-27-2005, 02:00
the ski picture is Tahoe, according to her website...she has pictures from Durango, Lake Powell and Tahoe...i took another year of school at Fort Lewis College after i retired (and lived 75 miles west of Durango), surveyed all around Lake Powell and once lived in Blanding (the name says it all) and worked at Tahoe last year...she's all over my AOs...i should be scared...

Yeah well, I was going by terrain features when I said Tahoe.
Oh and the 'Sierra Cement'. :lifter

Durango is OK. Nicest town in the San Juans is Ouray.
Did a week thing on Lake Powell some years ago with a contractor on his Houseboat..... Good time, we flew over from CO on his plane, only problem was a weight deal. We couldn't carry enough beer. :( Without the wives, we could have flown enough over for the week. :rolleyes:

your'e old,too

HUH?? OK, time to hit the 'Blacks' with full rucks, Chippewas' and bear trap bindings. :D

Holly, good move making the "had- to- be- stoned" guy behind.
Ya got it! Your head/mind will always push the physical and overcome the apprehension, fears, doubts or whatever.

Checked out the links tonight on your website. You're in a band/group?

HA! If your runnin' around Steve's AO, YOU need to be the one that should be scared.

If I only had that proverbial nickle for every female I saved from SF guys....... WOW.

lksteve
05-27-2005, 08:00
I can only fathom what it must have been like to be skiing, forging, and climbing and being on a mission at the same time. imagine putting on plastic ski boots at -20°F...heck, imagine sleeping with plastic ski boots so they are somewhat pliable when you put them on...imagine trying to get everything you need to wear first thing in the morning in your sleeping bag so it won't be so bloody cold...tis a great life...

night skiing with no lights, climbing up rocky slopes with skis on...all great fun...glad i did it...glad i don't have to do it anymore, too...sometimes, anyway...crossing fences with skis and rucks was great fun, too...

in the four winters i was in BT, we injured more people skiing than we did jumping...the TMC was busiest January - March...almost everyone seemed to heal up by Flintlock...

lksteve
05-27-2005, 21:14
HUH?? OK, time to hit the 'Blacks' with full rucks, Chippewas' and bear trap bindings.sure...let's go in July when the conditions are prime.... :rolleyes:

HA! If your runnin' around Steve's AO, YOU need to be the one that should be scared. nah...i'm harmless...

If I only had that proverbial nickle for every female I saved from SF guys....... you'd be four cents shy of having enough to buy some nickle candy...

12B4S
05-28-2005, 01:33
sure...let's go in July when the conditions are prime.... :rolleyes:

nah...i'm harmless...

you'd be four cents shy of having enough to buy some nickle candy...

1) Works for me. :cool:
2) Uh Huh!
3) Yeah, 'cause I spent it all on the females, consoling them after thier traumatic close calls. One can still get get nickle candy? Damn. Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker. Of course, I never subscribed to that philosophy.

Notice the smooth segue back into the thread's topic. :D

lksteve
05-28-2005, 09:56
Notice the smooth segue back into the thread's topic. not bad...now tell me where i can find bottle of 18 year old Elijah Craig...RL has me interested...haven't found it in any of the local liquor stores....

The Reaper
05-28-2005, 14:57
I had the 18 y/o Elijah Craig this past weekend. Compared it back to back with Maker's Mark.

No contest, the EC wins hands down.

Excellent sippin' whiskey!

TR

Roguish Lawyer
05-28-2005, 19:36
I had the 18 y/o Elijah Craig this past weekend. Compared it back to back with Maker's Mark.

No contest, the EC wins hands down.

Excellent sippin' whiskey!

TR

I think you need to compare it with something better, like Booker's, Black Maple Hill, Blanton's or -- dare I say it? -- PVW.

The Reaper
05-28-2005, 19:51
I think you need to compare it with something better, like Booker's, Black Maple Hill, Blanton's or -- dare I say it? -- PVW.

Wasn't my bottle, I compared it to what I brought.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
05-28-2005, 20:00
Wasn't my bottle, I compared it to what I brought.

TR

My PVW bottle was lightened without my advance knowledge at my kid's recent birthday party. I know the culprits had no idea what they were doing; they just randomly picked it from the 8 or 9 options in front of them. :boohoo

jatx
05-28-2005, 20:19
Well, you fellas are responsible for my newfound taste for Booker's. I hope you're proud of yourselves, it's more expensive than some of the scotch I was drinking before! :D

Now if I can just get my hands on some of that Elijah Craig...

lksteve
05-28-2005, 20:31
My PVW bottle was lightened without my advance knowledge at my kid's recent birthday party. I know the culprits had no idea what they were doing; they just randomly picked it from the 8 or 9 options in front of them. it's time you locked your liquor in the gun safe...

Roguish Lawyer
05-28-2005, 20:38
it's time you locked your liquor in the gun safe...

LOL -- I made sure they understood what they received from me!

I really didn't care. My bar is always open to family and friends.

lksteve
05-28-2005, 21:56
i purchased a bottle of Blanton's...(no EC in the store...i'll find a bottle sooner or later)...truth be known, except when mixed with Coke or Seven Up or something like that, i've not had a bourbon in years...i gave up blended whisky (Scots or otherwise) because...hell, i dunno...anyway, i thought i'd try this gringo stuff, somewhat in deference to my ancestors (purveyors of unregistered livestock and untaxed whisky)...

not bad...i could get used to this...

JMI
05-26-2008, 05:52
Mr Harsey may have tried this Canadian Whiskey. It is called Pendleton Canadian Whiskey (Hood River, OR)

Founded in 1934, Hood River Distillers is the Northwest's oldest and largest importer and producer of distilled spirits. Pendleton Blended Canadian Whisky, Pendleton 20-Year-Old Director's Reserve Whisky, Broker's London Dry Gin, Cockspur Rums, Yazi Ginger Vodka, Knickers Irish Cream Whiskey, ULLR Nordic Libation and Spudka Vodka are just a few of the nearly 50 different labels and brands distributed by the company.

I have a customer that asked me to try it, and since I like Scotch I tried it neat. It is very good, IMO. Something about a Historic Rodeo and a bar called Ne'ter Buck or something like that.

I don't know the whole story behind it because my customer told me the story while I had my first glass. We drank enough that I forgot the story. :cool:

Anyway, a very smooth drink with great taste. It grows on you.

Red Flag 1
05-26-2008, 07:28
Have to say that I am rather partial to Bushmills Irish Whiskey.

SF_BHT
05-26-2008, 07:57
Bourbon, Any Bourbon.

Wild Turkey 101 12 yr or Russel's Reserve but basically any good KY Bourbon will do.

DJ.
05-26-2008, 14:45
Booker's, when I can afford it, otherwise, Jim Beam. Either one on ice.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
05-26-2008, 20:41
I'll stick with Woodford Reserve! :lifter

SF_BHT
05-27-2008, 07:35
I'll stick with Woodford Reserve! :lifter

They put out a Kentucky Derby Bottle this year. Really nice and it is now sitting in my collection. Woodford Reserve is one of my top 3.

BryanK
05-27-2008, 11:14
I second the Wild Turkey 101. I figure since I can't kill one, I'll drink one. Good flavor though, smooth.

Rogue
05-27-2008, 11:30
Laphroaig Cask Strength with a few drops of water.

SF_BHT
06-18-2008, 14:13
Well I am back in the land of Bourbon....... We are taking the Bourbon trail tour next week for 6 distillery's. I will advise how it goes next week.....:D

My 18yr old is the driver so my sister and her husband can sample what we want.
:D

Swamp
06-19-2008, 08:49
Elijah Craig for sippin'...........

slcraig
06-19-2008, 19:38
Jim Beam, JD...both excellent. However did get to try some Russian "Special Forces" vodka...a friend of mine in Oz married a Russian girl and her Dad was ex (?) KGB, a retired (?) colonel....brought some of it with him, very very smooth, straight out of the bottle. However, my man Jimmie and my friend Jack are always available.

SF_BHT
06-19-2008, 20:00
Jim Beam, JD...both excellent. However did get to try some Russian "Special Forces" vodka...a friend of mine in Oz married a Russian girl and her Dad was ex (?) KGB, a retired (?) colonel....brought some of it with him, very very smooth, straight out of the bottle. However, my man Jimmie and my friend Jack are always available.

Steve you need to try some of the better bourbons. Jim is OK for a mid priced Kentucky straight bourbon....... Jack is sour mash not Kentucky straight bourbon but not bad. You need to try some of the better brands to see how they are......
Bryan

Silver_Panther
06-20-2008, 18:47
Kentucky Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.
Most are alot higher.

"Jimmy Crack corn and I dont care" :boohoo

Jim Beam Black Lable Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey....

I prefure it over Jack....It has stronger kick at the start but a much smoother after taste that generally leaves your mouth sooner and tends to swollow smoother. Its aged 8 years and is 43% has an xtra 3%...

I think thats the best Jim Beam you can get...

Jack Daniels on the other hand...is Tennessee Whiskey
its basically same stuff expect it may have a lower corn %
and it is Filtered through a special filter before its aged in the barrels.

The filtered Jack Daniels compared to the Jim for me had a much smoother overal taste but for some reason it tends to have its taste linger longer and not swollow as easy.

I am comparing the two drinks straight.
I prefure Jim Beam Kentucky Whiskey....Makes me feel more white trash :)
:boohoo

Althought, I did enjoy the sample bottle of Aged 12 year Canadian club whiskey that came with the JB.

Has anyone ever tryed Gentleman Jack Daniels, its xtra filtered and aged.
Please describe that taste if you have.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
06-20-2008, 19:05
Silver_Panther:

I drank Black Label Jack Daniels for a number of years. I switched to Woodsford reserve about a year or so ago. (I'm having one on the rocks, right now.)

I have made it my whiskey of choice now. Everything else just doesn't make it! my second choice is Maker's Mark, it can usually can be found in most bars, where Woodford isn't easy to find in the average bar.

Try it — You'll like it! :D

The Reaper
06-20-2008, 19:14
If you like Beam products, any of the small batch bourbons from Beam will do.

I am partial to Booker's and Knob Creek.

Agree with TW, the Woodford Reserve is the drink of choice nowdays.

TR

SF_BHT
06-20-2008, 20:52
If you like Beam products, any of the small batch bourbons from Beam will do.

I am partial to Booker's and Knob Creek.

Agree with TW, the Woodford Reserve is the drink of choice nowdays.

TR

Well on Monday I am testing 7 different KY Bourbons, I will let you know how they compare. If the Test goes too long I will have my daughter write the report....... Might need to have her take notes as we get farther into the Bourbon Trail.

FMF DOC
06-21-2008, 00:55
Gotta also go with the Wild Turkey 101 12yrs old... Bought a bottle after boot camp and never cracked it open till I retired... Smooth with a kick

The Reaper
06-21-2008, 08:14
Gotta also go with the Wild Turkey 101 12yrs old... Bought a bottle after boot camp and never cracked it open till I retired... Smooth with a kick

Whiskey does not age in the bottle. Only in the barrel. If anything, it might get worse sitting in the bottle for an extended period.

TR

FMF DOC
06-21-2008, 08:20
I'm sure that it's possible that it would not be as good after sitting in the bottle for 30+ years, however it had the same effect and thankfully none of us got sick that I can remember.

slcraig
06-23-2008, 19:25
I know that I'm on the cheaper end of the whiskeys/bourbons, but no matter. I have tried a few of the better ones, and although they are nice, some VERY nice, as an affordable alternative I'll stick to what I'm drinking, as far as an "everyday" type of refreshment. Alcohol here in Australia is a lot more expensive than Stateside, and sometimes the enjoyment derived from the drink overrides the enjoyment of the taste. Especially considering I suffer from Anosmia, and cannot distinguish the finer flavors of the "chosen" drink...I have no ill words for any of the other brands, just easier (and cheaper) for me to divulge in the aforementioned brands.
Will have to get together again sometime and suck down a few...been a long, long time, brother

SF_BHT
06-23-2008, 20:38
You are right it has been a long time and we do need to sit down and have a few. Let me know when you are coming to North or south America and I will try to get to the neighborhood you are hiding out at.

CSB
06-23-2008, 21:25
Of the Scot's Whiskey it is said:

"If a man could drink the right amount
every day,
nay too much,
and nay too little,
he would live forever,
and the undertakers
would go out of business."

Laphroig and Lagavulin.
Peaty, smoky, medicinal.
Scotch, the way God meant it to be.

SP5IC
06-24-2008, 00:59
Lagavulin

Save your money and buy a little bottle of Liquid Smoke, add some iodine, and a tad of dirt.

I think the duty free clerk was laughing at me, all the way to the car.

Silver_Panther
06-24-2008, 06:05

I am not sure about your KGB vodka,but my
Russian"Special Forces Selection" Vodka was disappointment to me...:eek:

I had an acquaintance who was a Russian border student.
He was going to university so he could draft dodge the Russian army.

Apparently he went to an officer school involved in some sort of spetsnaz training.
The junior officer training program was lead by senior spetsnaz NCOs who were ready to retire and unwillingly having to train their future replacements and superiors composed of a newer generation of pompous Russian kids being forced into the military.

According to him the Spetsnaz NCO's went all sadistic in the training process and started killing small animals in front of the recruits and forcing the recruits to use live animals as target practise followed by taunting and intimidation if the recruits didn't end the animals life cleanly in one shot.
I kinda thought he was bullshit me, but something about the way he asked me never to tell anyone the exact details makes me think other wise.

I asked him to pick me up a bottle of fine Russian Vodka during one of his visits home. After waiting through the holidays in anticipation I received a nice 26 of Russian Vodka filtered through silver...
I was expecting the best tasting booze in my life....

My mental image was of crystal clear ice cold liquid that flowed from a "mother country".
Made in a distillery next to flowing mountain glacial stream.
Who's workers were composed of large breasted buxom maidens.
That made a booze that would taste like water.

My first give away that this was not the case is when I opened the bottle....
The smell of nail polish remover promptly hit my face.

However, this scent was not enough to shatter my mental image.
I soon took a swig to discover to my dismay that it tasted like it smelled.
Nail polish remover sent and taste....:eek::mad:

Anyone have any knowledge about good russian vodka?

Bracholi
06-24-2008, 09:31
Wild Turkey 101p for me. Of course technically I should only know this as of today. Now to find the bottle that was hidden "in plain sight" by my mother from an alcoholic visitor to our home.

06-24-2008, 10:05
Wild Turkey 101 for me as well. I did a Bourbon taste test of many varieties of bourbon/sour mash a few years ago. Wild Turkey won out for me. Their Rare Breed and American Spirit are great as well. I was a Jack Daniels Black drinker for years before I conducted the test and rejected it out of hand afterwards. The charcoal filtering leaves a "sooty" taste that I just can't deal with. The boys at Lawrenceburg Kentucky know their stuff. :)

Trip_Wire (RIP)
06-24-2008, 12:16
Silver_Panther:

I've only been in Russia once for one day in Vladivostok on a cruise. We visited a few stores and I looked at many brands of Russian Vodka at varying prices. There are a lot of different brands. I didn't purchase any, as the cruise ship's security checks for booze and will keep it until the end of your voyage at times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladivostok

I like Russian Vodka and usually drink Stolichnaya (Better known as 'Stoli's Vodka Which is available in most US stores.) I have a half gallon of Stoli's 80 Proof in my supply at the moment. (There are other proofs' available.)

They also have flavored versions available too. I'm not a big fan of the flavored Vodkas; however, I do like to use Stoli's Pepper Vodka on the rocks and at times to put in my Bloody Ceaser's, although I'd rather use a more inexpensive Vodka like Smirnoff's in mixed drinks. (I prefer these over regular 'Mary's.) :D

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink1352.html

Stolichnaya Vodka:

http://www.stoli.com/

tom kelly
06-24-2008, 14:06
The Transplant List for a replacement Liver is very, very Long...Regard's, tom kelly

Silver_Panther
06-24-2008, 15:37
Trip Wire:

What should I look for in a Good Russian Vodka?
Do the Russians like it strong smelling and tasting?

As for taste and smoothness, Smirnoff was much easier to down than the Russian stuff I had.
The real Russian stuff went down more like a whiskey or other harder drink...
Nothing smooth about it....

I am considering Smirnoff to be the par or a normal vodka.
I would consider Absolute(although Swedish) to be "smoother"
or easier to down then Smirnoff, but not by much and not really
justifiable for the $5 or so more it costs

With that comparison in mind,
Would you say good Russian Vodka is more on the tastes like smells like nail polish remover designed to put hair on your chest end of things..
Or the smoother Absolute Vodka end of things?

Trip_Wire (RIP)
06-24-2008, 19:11
Silver_Panther

The only Russian Vodka I can recommend is Stoli's, since I drink it (Per my post)

To me, it doesn't smell like nail polish remover. When I have a Vodka Martini (I like them very DRY with Gin or Vodka.) I use Stoli's vodka. I also have one Russian style on occassion, that is ice cold in a shot glass or on the rocks in a cocktail glass.

Speaking of Martinis I prefer Gin Martinis, with Bombay Sapphire Gin, very dry, with a twist of lemon rind. I also like olives stuffed with a Jalapeno pepper.

My wife just placed a glass of (Double shot) Woodford Reserve on the rocks on my desk, along with some pretzels. (Its 1805 Hrs here.) :D :munchin

SF_BHT
06-24-2008, 21:25
OK this is a Whiskey thread, lets get back on topic Please........

Scotch, Bourbon, Canadian, etc Vodka ain't Whiskey.......:D

Rob_0811
07-31-2008, 10:54
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or is like liquid sex.

best Scotch I've ever had in my 36 years on this planet.

AngelsSix
07-31-2008, 19:43
Okay, I like the cheap crap, Maker's mark is okay for me........why do you guys spend so much money on liquor?? The result is the same...........LOL!!:D

Red Flag 1
07-31-2008, 19:53
Okay, I like the cheap crap, Maker's mark is okay for me........why do you guys spend so much money on liquor?? The result is the same...........LOL!!:D

It's the gettin there that's good......not always the there. :)

RF 1

SF_BHT
08-01-2008, 07:54
It's the gettin there that's good......not always the there. :)

RF 1

X2

If she is not bad looking I want to savor it and enjoy the moment.
If She looks like a Bowwowowowowo then you slam down the cheap stuff and in the morning you just use the womans excuse that I was drunk and do not remember what happened and where did that new video come from...:D

greenberetTFS
08-01-2008, 13:41
Of the Scot's Whiskey it is said:

"If a man could drink the right amount
every day,
nay too much,
and nay too little,
he would live forever,
and the undertakers
would go out of business."

Laphroig and Lagavulin.
Peaty, smoky, medicinal.
Scotch, the way God meant it to be.

Oh,How I agree....;)

Christophe
08-01-2008, 14:28
I recenly had the chance to try JD Green Label; a fine whiskey indeed.
Like an angel pissing on your tongue. :D
Too bad there is only one bar here that serves it, at a high price. It cannot be found in any stores here.:(:(

SF_BHT
08-03-2008, 19:01
I recently had the chance to try JD Green Label; a fine whiskey indeed.
Too bad there is only one bar here that serves it, at a high price. It cannot be found in any stores here.:(:(

Must be a European thing.:D

The Reaper
08-03-2008, 20:56
Like an angel pissing on your tongue.

Probably not going to catch on as an ad slogan.

TR

Trip_Wire (RIP)
08-04-2008, 14:31
Isn't JD's Green Label a step below Black Label? :D

BTW TR, I think your right on the ad slogan! :p

SF_BHT
08-04-2008, 14:38
Isn't JD's Green Label a step below Black Label? :D

BTW TR, I think your right on the ad slogan! :p

Yes it is Black is better than Green.
JW 5 types....
It goes:
Red
Black
Green
Gold
Blue.
from what I have been told and their web site. Bourbon is my nitch.

TR is Spot on ref the slogan....

JJ_BPK
08-04-2008, 16:03
Trip Wire:

What should I look for in a Good Russian Vodka?
Do the Russians like it strong smelling and tasting?

1st - I love Whisky(no "E"), single malt, made in Scotland.

If you offer a Scotsman a "Scotch", you may or may not see the "Glasgow Hand-Shake" coming (in the case of a Lady Scot, it's a Glasgow Kiss). No matter , when you wake up, I'm sure you will be told about the speed at which you were decked..

On Vodka - I would suggest you let your grand kids take you to one of the trendy Martini Lounges that are sprouting up all over the world. They have hundreds of brands. If the bar-keep has 1/2 brain, he will fill you in on the intricacies of the Sea Through Whiskey. Some of the better brands are not all Rusky. One of my favorites is Grey Goose,, from France.

As to the taste,, Some Russians call vodka green wine(zeleno vino) in Lithuanian, I think it's žalias vynas. It has something to do with the fact that vodka is not ages like whisky for a minimum of 10 years..

You can compare it to the 1920t's and bath-tub gin, raw, at times bitter, strong, hi-alcohol content,, It's GREEN.

A whisky on the other hand, matures in it's barrel, some as long as 20 years. The aging process imparts flavor derived from the wood in the barrel,, and also "what was stored in the barrel before the whisky". The Scots never use a new barrel. they purchase barrels from all over the world, some from spain, Portugal, Italy, and the USA. Must of the barrels were already used for aging wine, Burgundy, Port, Sherry, and American Whiskey. These leave behind flavor that over time gets Incorporated in to the Whisky.

Additionally, as whisky, ages a portion of the alcohol evaporates through the wood, so by the time it's bottled the hydrometer may show as low as 50 proof, after starting our at around 120 proof. It's called the uisge-beatha or the Water of Life and the evaporated part is a tax to the angles.

I am sitting here staring at a bottle of Aberlour, cast strength, it's marked 59.9 by vol. I think it's a 12 yr old..

Gotta go, Taking the misses out to dinner...

Richard
08-04-2008, 16:16
Macallen's 12 year Scotch--great and affordable. I've only tasted the 30 year once...:lifter

I just returned from Golden, CO, and found a bar where I could get 4 fingers of Macallen's 12 year on the rocks for $8.50! I'll be back! :D

Richard

Christophe
08-27-2008, 18:16
Must be a European thing.:D

It is often used here in Belgium. I must admit it sounds a lot better in my language. :D

lonewolf726
08-31-2008, 15:40
Jameson Irish Whiskey

Defender968
08-31-2008, 17:06
It goes:
Red
Black
Green
Gold
Blue.
from what I have been told and their web site. Bourbon is my nitch.

TR is Spot on ref the slogan....

I went looking on the Jack Daniels site and couldn't find anything about the different colors, personally I’ve only seen/tasted Jack Black, Green, single barrel and gentleman jack, I'm not saying the others don't exist but are you sure you're not getting confused with Jonny Walker, they do make Red, Black, Blue, Green, and Gold label scotch, with Blue being the best, and it shows at nearly $200 a bottle. It's supposed to be very good, of course the only person I know who drinks it is a buddy of mine who’s an AF Helo Pilot, and he only takes a drink out of the bottle to toast a fallen brother.

SF_BHT
08-31-2008, 17:14
I went looking on the Jack Daniels site and couldn't find anything about the different colors, personally I’ve only seen/tasted Jack Black, Green, single barrel and gentleman jack, I'm not saying the others don't exist but are you sure you're not getting confused with Jonny Walker, they do make Red, Black, Blue, Green, and Gold label scotch, with Blue being the best, and it shows at nearly $200 a bottle. It's supposed to be very good, of course the only person I know who drinks it is a buddy of mine who’s an AF Helo Pilot, and he only takes a drink out of the bottle to toast a fallen brother.

You know you are right..... I miss-posted I was thinking that TW stated JW not JD. Good catch......:D

I corrected my post.... Thanks

Defender968
08-31-2008, 18:00
No worries, I was hoping there was a Jack Red, I love to try new types of Wiskey or Wisky, I've got about 12 different types between American, Canadian and Irish in my bar now. :)

RTK
08-31-2008, 21:53

Would the opposite be something like Maddog 20/20 accompanied by:

"Like a demon takin' an MRE crap down your throat?"

Roguish Lawyer
08-31-2008, 21:54
Would the opposite be something like Maddog 20/20 accompanied by:

"Like a demon takin' an MRE crap down your throat?"

LMAO -- very nice!

lksteve
09-01-2008, 09:03
I just returned from Golden, CO, and found a bar where I could get 4 fingers of Macallen's 12 year on the rocks for $8.50! I'll be back! Be so kind as to divulge the name of said establishment, as I am going to be working on the other side of the hill from there and will need to see the lights of the big city from time to time...

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-21-2008, 15:38
Tequila....sure it's whiskey...isn't it?
That's my preference. Also Bailey's and coffee.

I am not a Bourbon drinker but had some of a guys "private" reserve in Colorado. It was made in Culpepper Va. by this guys deceased father, and his brother would send him a small cask each year. The drink of it I had was about 18 years old still in a cask. I have never put a smoother liquor on my pallet . this guy said his father left him and his brother about 1600 gallons of it buried in casks in the hills around Culpepper Va. ...Still aging! Blitzzz

DanUCSB
10-21-2008, 15:53
Blitzzz:

A bit off topic, but is your tagline an original quote? If so, my congratulations for a superb turn of phrase; if not, who is the original author? I like it very much and would like to attribute it correctly.

The Reaper
10-21-2008, 18:46
Tequila....sure it's whiskey...isn't it?

No, it is most assuredly not.

TR

Bear043
10-22-2008, 07:30
There's nothing better than sucking down a couple or 4 quarts of Jack, and waking up the next morning, wondering where you are, and how you got there.

AF Doc
10-22-2008, 08:59
If you are a 'scotch' fan, I'll recomend Ardbeg and Highland Park. Ardbeg is an Islay-style whisky and lives up to the reputation. If you like Lagavulin you'll enjoy Ardbeg. Highland Park comes from Orkney and may be my favorite sipping whisky. I say 'may be' because I think I need to try a few more first....:D

greenberetTFS
10-22-2008, 09:46
If you are a 'scotch' fan, I'll recomend Ardbeg and Highland Park. Ardbeg is an Islay-style whisky and lives up to the reputation. If you like Lagavulin you'll enjoy Ardbeg. Highland Park comes from Orkney and may be my favorite sipping whisky. I say 'may be' because I think I need to try a few more first....:D

AF Doc,

Sounds like your a "scotch" man to me....I was recently introduced into "The Scotch Malt Whiskey Society of America".....Go to that site if you really want to enjoy some great whiskey.....Trust me! :D

GB TFS :munchin

RT AXE 10
10-22-2008, 11:32
Got some good pineland special up here... This stuff will make you give back things you ain't stole yet... Pure Tennessee Relampago Blanco....

Favor Tenn. Bourbon....

Axe
When in doubt, empty your magazine...(Murphys law)

Roguish Lawyer
10-22-2008, 11:56
Got some good pineland special up here... This stuff will make you give back things you ain't stole yet... Pure Tennessee Relampago Blanco....

Now that's something I'd really like to try . . .

RT AXE 10
10-22-2008, 12:19
Now that's something I'd really like to try . . .

Salute, Next trip to your FAYBRAGG AO, I'll bring a bottle for your taste...

Axe
Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder... (Murphys law)

Roguish Lawyer
10-22-2008, 12:24
Salute, Next trip to your FAYBRAGG AO, I'll bring a bottle for your taste...

Axe
Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder... (Murphys law)

Deal!!!!

greenberetTFS
10-23-2008, 09:54

Favor Tenn. Bourbon....

Axe
When in doubt, empty your magazine...(Murphys law)

RT AXE 10,

Why don't you try "importing" it? ;)

GB TFS :cool:

RT AXE 10
10-23-2008, 12:48
RT AXE 10,

Why don't you try "importing" it? ;)

GB TFS :cool:

Importing it, To where?... It's already here... I may want to export it... But thats another technique

Axe
Important things are always simple... Simple things are always hard. The easy way is always mined... (Murphy's law)

doctorrich
10-26-2008, 06:59
Now I'm not normally a fan of blended whisky, but I had some Jameson's 18 year limited edition last night and I can still remember what it tasted like and that it was good.

That's usually a good sign for me. It's the bad ones that wipe my memory and I keep having to drink the crap over and over to remember how bad it was... for future reference, google "Compass Box" single malt whisky. Not a favorite of mine.

ZooKeeper
10-26-2008, 20:08
I've been consuming Templeton Rye lately. It has a nice spice to it.

http://www.templetonrye.com/

Dozer523
10-26-2008, 21:59
McCallans. It's a single malt. My old buddy Pete M from 5th Group (86-89 he was the S-4) dropped by on his way to Sturgis (in the "rolling island" 8mpg!). We sipped a few and q-ed some steaks. And then told stories my kids had never heard before. I learned that scotch tastes better with a little tiny bit of nice water -- that surprised me. And I got that odd "dad" feeling when the kids whined about going to bed cuz they "never heard any of this stuff before." It was a great evening. Even when we started repeating the stories!

jw74
10-30-2008, 15:29
Last Sunday I had the chance to have a tumbler of Pappy Von Winkle's. It was a good bourbon but I dont think I'll be switching from Glen Livet anytime soon. Thanks for the recommendation though, gentlemen. I had only heard of PVW on here.

Lawless
10-30-2008, 16:05
Scotch, single malt highland. Glenmorangie 18 is a favorite of mine.

jw74
10-30-2008, 20:16
Scotch, single malt highland. Glenmorangie 18 is a favorite of mine.

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip

Sacamuelas
12-07-2008, 22:15
Had a little Pappy Van Winkle 23yr old family reserve last night in New Orleans. I must say, it was the best Bourbon I have experienced.
http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFM8C?opendocument
I chose to have mine with just two small ice cubes to chill....not neat, but not spoiled by watering it down or altering is richness.

The actual aroma of this "nectar of the Gods" was almost as good as the taste.

Ret10Echo
12-08-2008, 04:56
I was over at Mt. Vernon this weekend. I was hoping to make it down to the distillery, but it was closed for the season. :(

http://www.discus.org/heritage/washington.asp

The whiskey is auctioned....and apparently sold in small bottles....anyone ever partake?

Christophe
12-30-2008, 11:25
Got me a sms tasting set for Christmas. Four different small bottles to taste from including a book on sms, a tasting glass and a voucher for the Scotch of your choice.
I got me a The Glenlivet 12. Sweeeeet!
Over time, and depending on cash I intend to start a small collection of single malt Scotches.

KClapp
02-10-2009, 20:57
I'm depressed enough with the current leadership in this nation, the political infighting, and the economy. So, let's discuss something a bit more primal, like whiskey.

I've heard Jim Beam was the SF choice. Considering the technical advisors to the movie "The Green Berets" also chose it for the film, I'd be interested in knowing the origin of that choice, if anyone could offer that information.

Black Velvet and Jack Daniels were my initial entry into this aromatic elixir. I still like JD and also enjoy Jim Beam, but have also grown fond of several nice Scotch's such as Johnny Walker Black and Chivas Regal.

I also prefer it with some ice and water.

So, what's your choice and how do you prefer it? (I'd also like any recommendations on a decent Scotch in the JD/JB price range.)

Paslode
02-10-2009, 21:34
I don't drink the hard stuff because it generally leads to mischief on my part.

But if I were a whiskey drinking man, I would choose that of my Irish clan the Jameson's.

SF_BHT
02-10-2009, 21:44
You should do some searching......:confused:
We have discussed this a lot, check the threads....;)

KClapp
02-10-2009, 21:52
We have discussed this a lot, check the threads....;)

Roger. Wilco.:D

RichL025
02-10-2009, 22:22
Yes, this has been extensively discussed...

But this is ONE subject that not too many people would complain about re-posts ;)

For me, Jameson's, Bushmills.

For Scotch whisky, no blends: Macallan, Oban, The Glenlivet.

Interestingly enough, the word "whisky" (or whiskey") is derived from the gaelic word for "water" - just like "vodka" is a dimunitive of the Russian word for water, also....

SF_BHT
02-11-2009, 06:11
Yes, this has been extensively discussed...

But this is ONE subject that not too many people would complain about re-posts ;)

For me, Jameson's, Bushmills.

For Scotch whisky, no blends: Macallan, Oban, The Glenlivet.

Interestingly enough, the word "whisky" (or whiskey") is derived from the gaelic word for "water" - just like "vodka" is a dimunitive of the Russian word for water, also....

So we should follow the Doc's advice and Drink More Water.....:eek::cool:

blue02hd
02-11-2009, 06:33
I'm feeling dehydrated as we speak, ( damn it's only 7:33 am),,,,,

AngelsSix
02-11-2009, 06:39
See attached photo

echoes
02-11-2009, 16:40
I'm depressed enough with the current leadership in this nation, the political infighting, and the economy. So, let's discuss something a bit more primal, like whiskey.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6763&highlight=whiskey

And here is a good one!:)

Holly

Richard
02-11-2009, 16:45
I'll be in Scotland visiting relatives in May. I may even be able to remember some of it when I return. ;)

OTOH--in the spirit of my notorious ancestors...any whiskey that's 'free' is the best!

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Foots
02-12-2009, 08:25
Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage & For special occasions, Elijah Craig 18- year -old Single Barrel Bourbon, the oldest Single Barrel Bourbon available in the world.

The Reaper
02-12-2009, 08:42
I found the Elijah Craig disappointing.

The absolute best I have ever had was the Pappy Van Winkle's 20 Year Old. The 23 Year Old is currently beyond my means.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
02-12-2009, 11:12
The 23 Year Old is currently beyond my means.

I'll save some for your next visit. It's even better than the 20.

The Reaper
02-12-2009, 11:14
I'll save some for your next visit. It's even better than the 20.

Thank you, Sir.

I look forward to it.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
02-12-2009, 11:15
I've had the Elijah Craig 18 twice -- the first bottle was great and the second was absolutely awful. I guess that's the risk of single barrel, but I won't buy the Elijah Craig again.

Bear043
02-16-2009, 08:07
I reckon the best whiskey is usually found in the form of a jug of Jack being slowly sipped, not chugged, while you sit on the chest of one of the enemy turds that just ambushed you. But that would just be my opinion, I could be wrong, usually am.

Bear
------------------------------
Remember...., it takes 2 dwarves to mail a letter!

6.8SPC_DUMP
02-16-2009, 13:08
JD - I think the secret ingredient is Andros :eek:

And Makers Mark if I have to be invited to the next party.

Ret10Echo
11-16-2009, 09:47
Shackleton's whisky to be dug up
Two crates of Scotch whisky which belonged to the polar explorer Ernest Shackleton are to be recovered after a century buried in the Antarctic ice.

The McKinlay and Co whisky was found buried under a hut built and used during Shackleton's unsuccessful South Pole expedition between 1907 and 1909.

The crates, which are encased in ice, were first found three years ago.

New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust plans to use special cutting tools to remove the crates from the ice.

The crates and bottles are expected to undergo conservation work in New Zealand before being returned to the remote hut at Cape Royds, which the trust is trying to restore to the same condition as when Shackleton's team left it.

“ I personally think they must have been left there by mistake, because it's hard to believe two crates would have been left under the hut without drinking them ”
Al Fastier Trust spokesman
Trust spokesman Al Fastier said he would not be tempted to sample the Scotch, saying he preferred to allow the century-old spirits to retain their mystique.

"It would be terrible to sample it and find that it was off," he told Radio New Zealand.

Distillers Whyte and Mackay, which owns the McKinlay brand, are keen to get hold of a bottle, or at least a sample of the now-extinct blend.

The company's master blender Richard Paterson said: "We might even get enough to be able to take a stab at recreating it."

Shackleton's expedition ran short of supplies on its long trek to the South Pole from Cape Royds.

They eventually fell about 100 miles (160 kilometres) short of their goal, although one team did reach the magnetic South Pole and the expedition carried out valuable scientific work.

No lives were lost, vindicating Shackleton's decision to turn back from the pole, which was first reached in 1911 by Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen.

Shackleton later said to his wife: "A live donkey is better than a dead lion, isn't it?"

The expedition's ship left Cape Royds hurriedly in March 1909 as winter ice began forming in the sea, with some equipment and supplies, including the whisky, left behind.

"I personally think they must have been left there by mistake, because it's hard to believe two crates would have been left under the hut without drinking them," Mr Fastier said.

Story from BBC NEWS:

AF IDMT
11-16-2009, 12:15
I heard this on the way to work this morning. Made me , , , thirsty.:D
Just have to wonder what it would taste like.

SF_BHT
11-16-2009, 13:51
I heard this on the way to work this morning. Made me , , , thirsty.:D
Just have to wonder what it would taste like.

Well as long as the bottle has not been compromised it should taste the same as it was bottled.

Scotch/Bourbon does not change (AGE) any more after you bottle it.

mojaveman
11-16-2009, 14:39
During my drinking days I never got into the real expensive Bourbons. I remember liking Makers Mark and Knob Creek. They were affordable to the average Joe.

AF IDMT
11-17-2009, 12:12
Scotch/Bourbon does not change (AGE) any more after you bottle it.

:o I didn't know that. If I knew what Team Sergeant's voice sounded like it would probably be saying, "Post less, read more" in my head. :D

LarryW
11-17-2009, 13:45
Jim Beam at $1.05/fifth at Club Alliance in Yokosuka, JA. 'Course, that was in 1963. Still...

PedOncoDoc
11-17-2009, 14:04
I've always been a fan of Old Grandad and Maker's Mark, myself. Not too harsh on the wallet and both excellent IMHO.

The word "whiskey" comes from the Gaelic word uisge-beatha, meaning "water of life."

I've always enjoyed whiskey, and I make an extra effort to tip a glass on the special occasion of the birth of a new baby, the death of a patient, family member or friend, and on the date of my transplant (typically all matched with a cigar.) I find these fitting given whiskey's roots.

Ghostiger7
11-17-2009, 14:19
my first choice: Chamisul soju :cool:

with a backup plan to include: Dalmore, Dalwhinnie, Glen Ord, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Macallan, or Glenlivet dependent on availability and cashflow

Costa
12-01-2009, 15:39
American Honey

Ret10Echo
05-25-2010, 08:40
What next....

Kentucky Distillers Warn Congress H.R. 5034 Could Destroy Bourbon Industry

For Immediate Release - 5/24/2010
Telephone: 202-682-8840

Bill could “wipe out centuries of Kentucky craftsmanship, quality and heritage”

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Kentucky Distillers’ Association (KDA), a Kentucky-based trade group representing world renowned Bourbon brands, today sent a letter to the Congressional Bourbon Caucus and every member of Kentucky’s Congressional Delegation, urging strong opposition to wholesaler-crafted legislation that would significantly damage Kentucky’s signature Bourbon industry.

KDA President Eric Gregory highlighted the legislation’s “many far-reaching and negative consequences” noting that under the bill individual states could establish their own formulas, labeling and bottling standards for Bourbon, overriding uniform federal requirements as now prescribed by the U.S. Treasury Department.

“For more than 200 years, Kentucky’s legendary distilleries have crafted the world’s finest Bourbons, using a time-honored process that today is regulated by strict federal ‘standards of identity’…Allowing individual states to concoct a whiskey and call it ‘Bourbon,’ based on their own definition, would destroy the industry as we know it today,” Gregory wrote. “On behalf of Kentucky’s signature Bourbon and distilled spirits industry, I strongly urge you to oppose H.R. 5034 and ask that you make your colleagues aware of its potentially disastrous repercussions.”

H. R. 5034 strips away the protections of the Commerce Clause and effectively exempts state alcohol laws from all federal laws, such as the federal antitrust statutes, the Federal Alcohol Administration Act, the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and other important laws that provide critical consumer protections and prohibit price-fixing and other anti-competitive behavior.

JJ_BPK
05-25-2010, 09:44
What next....

Interesting, I thought Kentucky had a license on the WORD Bourbon??

Did you ever hear of New York Bourbon??

Or Arizona Bourbon??

Probably never will..

Me thinks this is much ado about nothing,, actually it about protectionism and pork barrel politics.....

Now what they should do is get rid of the Federal law that forces distilleries to use a new barrel every time they cask new hooch.

The Scots & Irish learned a 1000 yrs ago that aging Whisky in port, cherry, or other USED wine barrels imparts flavor from the Angels.

It can't be created by adding burnt malaises syrup to vodka that's a week old..

9.12.3.2.6 Warehousing/Aging -
Aging practices differ from distiller to distiller, and even for the same distiller. Variations in the
aging process are integral to producing the characteristic taste of a particular brand of distilled spirit. The
aging process, which typically ranges from 4 to 8 years or more, consists of storing the new whisky
distillate in oak barrels to encourage chemical reactions and extractions between the whisky and the wood.
The constituents of the barrel produce the whisky's characteristic color and distinctive flavor and aroma.
White oak is used because it is one of the few woods that holds liquids while allowing breathing (gas
exchange) through the wood. Federal law requires all Bourbon whisky to be aged in charred new white
oak barrels.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
05-25-2010, 12:42
Just don't mess with my Bourbon favorites!

1.) Woodford Reserve

2.) Maker's Mark

;)

JJ_BPK
05-25-2010, 13:30
Just don't mess with my Bourbon favorites!

1.) Woodford Reserve

2.) Maker's Mark

;)

I have a bottle of Woodford and I like it. They did good..

Haven't had Maker's in 30 yrs. Probably should get a pint for the drive-in??

I don't want to imply that all American whiskey is not good. Just that it could be better if they didn't force the green wood barrels on the distilleries..

I look at it like a 1st date,, If your lips swell up and your tung burns kinda funny on the 1st kiss,, it's probable going to be a ruff nite...

:eek::D:eek:

NoTime89
05-25-2010, 15:21
Well, besides the Kentucky Derby (of which Bourbon is 75 percent), and the Gold Vault (which is probably as empty as my bourbon bottles come Monday morning), the best thing about KY is the Bourbon.

Woodford is my favorite, though it is expensive. I like Buffalo Trace the most for price/taste matrix. Bulleit Bourbon took my fancy, but I think it's way too sweet.

A good KY bourbon with friends by a riverside campfire-priceless.

Thank you Dad for retiring at Ft. Knox! :cool:

ApacheIP
07-25-2010, 19:48
Just had my first taste of Woodford at a friends house down in Charleston about three weeks ago. Dang fine stuff. Always been a Wild Turkey fan, but generally sip Crown when brown is the order of the day. Woodford kicks them all in the jimmy.

RichL025
07-25-2010, 20:45
There's a whiskey I've recently been turned on to called Stranahan's - made in small batches in Colorado.

EXCELLENT stuff. It has supplanted most of my regular scotch drinking. I have to ask the local stores here to special order it.

Any Tacoma residents want to try some - the state liquor stores on 6th ave and also off Canyon Rd in Puyallup both stock it (thanks to me!)

lksteve
07-25-2010, 23:22
There's a whiskey I've recently been turned on to called Stranahan's - made in small batches in Colorado.I find it a little sweet...

skylinedrive
07-26-2010, 00:06
I got a soft spot for Islays, specially so for Port Ellen. Unfortunately they are making themselves scarce and prices are skyrocketing.

RichL025
07-26-2010, 21:22
I find it a little sweet...

Have you tried more than one batch? Each one seems to have its own personality...

lksteve
07-26-2010, 21:53
Have you tried more than one batch? Each one seems to have its own personality...At $50 a bottle, I am a little reluctant to spring for inconsistent...and I haven't finished the one bottle I bought yet...hell, I still have a bottle of Blanton's from 2004...

Irishsquid
07-27-2010, 04:36
Whisky...Scotch...Single Malt. Preferably a Speyside. 18 years in the cask.

Serve with a splash of water and a fine cigar.

Rumblyguts
08-13-2010, 12:32
Shackleton's whisky to be dug up
Two crates of Scotch whisky which belonged to the polar explorer Ernest Shackleton are to be recovered after a century buried in the Antarctic ice.

The McKinlay and Co whisky was found buried under a hut built and used during Shackleton's unsuccessful South Pole expedition between 1907 and 1909.

The crates, which are encased in ice, were first found three years ago.

New Zealand Antarctic Heritage Trust plans to use special cutting tools to remove the crates from the ice.

The crates and bottles are expected to undergo conservation work in New Zealand before being returned to the remote hut at Cape Royds, which the trust is trying to restore to the same condition as when Shackleton's team left it.

“ I personally think they must have been left there by mistake, because it's hard to believe two crates would have been left under the hut without drinking them ”
Al Fastier Trust spokesman
Trust spokesman Al Fastier said he would not be tempted to sample the Scotch, saying he preferred to allow the century-old spirits to retain their mystique.

"It would be terrible to sample it and find that it was off," he told Radio New Zealand.

Distillers Whyte and Mackay, which owns the McKinlay brand, are keen to get hold of a bottle, or at least a sample of the now-extinct blend.

The company's master blender Richard Paterson said: "We might even get enough to be able to take a stab at recreating it."

Shackleton's expedition ran short of supplies on its long trek to the South Pole from Cape Royds.

They eventually fell about 100 miles (160 kilometres) short of their goal, although one team did reach the magnetic South Pole and the expedition carried out valuable scientific work.

No lives were lost, vindicating Shackleton's decision to turn back from the pole, which was first reached in 1911 by Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen.

Shackleton later said to his wife: "A live donkey is better than a dead lion, isn't it?"

The expedition's ship left Cape Royds hurriedly in March 1909 as winter ice began forming in the sea, with some equipment and supplies, including the whisky, left behind.

"I personally think they must have been left there by mistake, because it's hard to believe two crates would have been left under the hut without drinking them," Mr Fastier said.

Story from BBC NEWS:

Update:

A crate was recently thawed and opened to reveal 11 bottles. Some will be tapped in order to try to recreate the recipe, then, alas, back to the shack.

"The crate will remain in cold storage and each of the 11 bottles will be carefully assessed and conserved over the next few weeks. Some samples will be extracted, possibly using a syringe through the bottles' cork stoppers."

source: 100-year-old Scotch pulled from frozen crate
The Associated Press
Friday, August 13, 2010 10:12 AM EDT
http://www.charter.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9HIL5MO0%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1018

Ret10Echo
10-14-2011, 11:22
Mount Vernon update. About to sell the first batch of aged Rye whiskey.

From WTOP here (http://wtop.com/?nid=120&sid=2588921)

Most excellent that they have brought back the old-school methods and have been successful.

On Oct. 22, the first batch of two-year aged George Washington Rye Whiskey will go on sale at the Mount Vernon and Grist Mill gift shops,

Only 300 bottles, so arrive early :D

pyreaux
10-16-2011, 17:05
2 recent finds:

Vintage 17 quite tasty

EH Taylor sour mash

WholeManin2010
10-16-2011, 20:07
Makers Mark and Jim Beam Rye usually treat me well.

Just curious, how much do you have to spend to get whiskey with no bite?

33army
12-22-2011, 06:02
I know I'm probably gonna catch hell for this but has anyone tried Jim Beam's Devils Cut?

MrBox2113
12-22-2011, 07:32
For my previous deployment going away present my wife took me to the JD distillery in Lynchburg. We had the funniest 90 year old woman as our guide, thus truly branding love for that whiskey into my heart and proving once again how much my wife rocks. Gentleman Jack double mellowed all the way.

tunanut
12-22-2011, 07:46
This stuff has me spoiled.

Paragrouper
12-22-2011, 11:00
Jefferson's Reserve (when I can find it)

greenberetTFS
12-22-2011, 14:31
GEORGE T. STAGG. Got my Bottle today. 142 proof. Only 200 bottles for the ENTIRE UNITED STATES. This is some rare Kimshi. I need to find another Bottle before I THINK about opening this one.

For you gents interested in a little more INTEL. check this link:
http://www.buffalotrace.com/home2.html

Anyone else out there get a bottle?

:lifter :lifter

I didn't know they made that stuff legal!!!........:eek:

Big Teddy :munchin

The Reaper
12-22-2011, 16:51
This stuff has me spoiled.

Top shelf stuff there. :D

TR

33army
12-22-2011, 19:18
Just tried Cardhu 12 year old. Thoroughly impressed. May have converted me from Macallan....

WholeManin2010
02-10-2012, 13:46
My wife says I have to get rid of these before we move next week, so I had to take a picture to honor their memory before I send them off to that great recycling bin in the sky...

Guymullins
02-10-2012, 14:44
If you like a smokey, peaty tast Lagavulan is very good, but very pricey. The Peat Monster is also nice if you like lots of peat in the taste and quite inexpensive.

Roguish Lawyer
02-10-2012, 15:55
GEORGE T. STAGG. Got my Bottle today. 142 proof. Only 200 bottles for the ENTIRE UNITED STATES. This is some rare Kimshi. I need to find another Bottle before I THINK about opening this one.

For you gents interested in a little more INTEL. check this link:
http://www.buffalotrace.com/home2.html

Anyone else out there get a bottle?

:lifter :lifter :lifter

I have some. Not so crazy about it, actually.

Roguish Lawyer
02-10-2012, 15:57
We're taking a vacation to the UK this summer. In Scotland, will be sure to try the local stuff . . .

Guymullins
02-11-2012, 04:34
We're taking a vacation to the UK this summer. In Scotland, will be sure to try the local stuff . . .

Be sure to get to Islay, an island which has quite a few distilleries,one of which is Lagavulan, and sample their wares.

Penn
02-11-2012, 19:39
"tis a soft day, winds, rain, bit of snow. Lagavulin with its soft peat tone warms this evening fire I enjoy alone".

s
02-11-2012, 23:46

Thou shall not miss on Talisker, a scotch distilled on Skye island.
http://www.malts.com/index.php/Gateway-en

Thou shall not miss it! :D

BOfH
02-12-2012, 10:28
Of Islay's, don't forget Laphroaig ;)

Rob_Frey
04-23-2012, 15:30
In days gone by I drank Jack Daniels and Jim Beam.

I've moved on to Single Malt Scotch and Lagavulin 16 and Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or are two favorites.

I guess I'll have to try the Woodford Reserve recommended so often now.

Dusty
04-23-2012, 15:37
House whiskey.

Gypsy
04-23-2012, 18:07
House whiskey.

As in whatever is in the house? :p

Irishsquid
05-23-2012, 09:12
Discovered a new-to-me Irish whiskey recently, relatively cheap, and pretty damned tasty. It's called "Feckin Irish Whiskey," and it's considerably smoother than Jameson or Bushmills. Good flavor, and makes a good shot OR a sippin' whiskey.

JohnIll
07-28-2012, 04:29
What gets me through my days you might ask??

I reply, " Good OL' Fashion..... Wild Turkey."

Kentucky Whiskey ...

O:)

WarPhil
07-28-2012, 09:14
Scotch - Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

Rob_Frey
07-28-2012, 12:32
In days gone by I drank Jack Daniels and Jim Beam.

I've moved on to Single Malt Scotch and Lagavulin 16 and Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or are two favorites.

I guess I'll have to try the Woodford Reserve recommended so often now.

Well, I did get to try some of the Woodford Reserve and it is VERY smooth. Far superior to Jack or Jim.

Ret10Echo
09-23-2012, 07:53
Picked up a bottle of Bowmore 12yo Islay Single Malt.. I'm a bourbon drinker, but have tried a Scotch from time to time, so decided to vary the routine a bit.

Nice smooth start, smokey finish but not overpowering. Quite enjoyable.

RichL025
09-23-2012, 14:00
Picked up a bottle of Bowmore 12yo Islay Single Malt.. I'm a bourbon drinker, but have tried a Scotch from time to time, so decided to vary the routine a bit.

Nice smooth start, smokey finish but not overpowering. Quite enjoyable.

Bowmore is probably my go-to favorite. It's smoky like the Islays should be, but not overly so. Lagavulin & Laphroig tend to be overpowering, but I think Bowmore has just enough for character!

Toaster
09-23-2012, 20:27
I have a bottle of Jameson Signature Reserve that was about $30-35 from the duty free store in Niagra Falls. It's an absolutely delicious sipping whiskey. IMO it's the best buy I've found, next to free of course.

Ret10Echo
09-24-2012, 05:11
Bowmore is probably my go-to favorite. It's smoky like the Islays should be, but not overly so. Lagavulin & Laphroig tend to be overpowering, but I think Bowmore has just enough for character!

Concur:

My initial foray into the Islay was a 10y/o Laphroig...and the peat/smoke finish was too much. The Bowmore has a much more pleasant finish while still delivering flavor.

ender18d
09-24-2012, 05:55
Lagavulin 16 is my dram of choice.

kaewstihs
09-28-2012, 19:09
I'm a pretty good fan of Woodford Reserve myself.

orion5
09-29-2012, 19:32
I'm a pretty good fan of Woodford Reserve myself.

Have you tried the Woodford Double Oaked? It's the first new product added to the Woodford line. Launched around March 2012.

The Double Oaked starts with the standard Woodford - distilled in both copper pot and column stills, before aging in charred white oak barrels. Then the Double Oaked is placed for 9 more months in a second barrel - charred lightly, but toasted twice as long. Makes a dramatic impact on the flavor of the finished whiskey.

I received a bottle for my birthday (now empty! :D) and I love it. The original Woody is peppery and more spicy. This one is smoother, but you can still tell it's a Woodford.

Edit to add: If you are pinching pennies, Standard Woodford runs ~$36 in the DFW area. Double Oaked is $50. But the distributors up here periodically run 20% off sales, which puts the Double Oaked at ~$40. Not sure what stores you have in Livingston, but you might want to ask if they ever put it on sale.

kaewstihs
09-29-2012, 20:06
Sounds awesome, Ill pick up a bottle this week. :D Thanks ma'am!

Penn
04-22-2013, 14:54
4/29/2013
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20986/

33army
05-10-2013, 18:50
I received an early fathers day gift from my deployed better half. A bottle of Aberlour 16 yr old Single Malt. I would have to say this is one of the best single malts I have had and would recommend that everyone stop doing PT immediately and go out and procure some. Then pour a dram and continue PT.

pcfixer
07-11-2013, 16:56
Jack Daniels Black Label .. on the rocks or straight up.

Penn
01-25-2014, 00:14
I'll post the pictures of the presentation case and the bottle to substantiate that I am in the middle of a "Blue". My impression, based on years of serious research related to single malt whiskey of Scotland, rates this very expensive package as an over priced marketing program that on its best day is a 5 out of 10 on quality, taste, bang for the buck.

RichL025
01-26-2014, 07:40
I'll post the pictures of the presentation case and the bottle to substantiate that I am in the middle of a "Blue". My impression, based on years of serious research related to single malt whiskey of Scotland, rates this very expensive package as an over priced marketing program that on its best day is a 5 out of 10 on quality, taste, bang for the buck.

That's kind of what I expected - a marketing hype...

Stobey
03-09-2014, 12:49
I just caught this thread - very late. My favorite was Mt. Vernon Straight Rye Whiskey aged 12 years. Can no longer find this. Most of the Rye whiskeys I know of are blended. If anyone knows any different, I'd appreciate knowing what distiller and where it can be purchased. (Unfortunately, I used the last of that treasured bottle some 40 years ago in my stupid youth!) :o

Firedude
03-09-2014, 22:22
I just caught this thread - very late. My favorite was Mt. Vernon Straight Rye Whiskey aged 12 years. Can no longer find this. Most of the Rye whiskeys I know of are blended. If anyone knows any different, I'd appreciate knowing what distiller and where it can be purchased. (Unfortunately, I used the last of that treasured bottle some 40 years ago in my stupid youth!) :o

This rye whiskey is advertised as a straight whiskey. Makes great Manhattans in my opinion. Not as sweet as a bourbon. And a decent price.

http://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/buffalo-trace

Stobey
03-09-2014, 23:39
Thanks for that info. There is a difference between bourbon and rye; but hey, I'll have to try some - for medicinal purposes only of course. :D

Roguish Lawyer
03-10-2014, 08:22
I'm going to a Pappy van Winkle tasting dinner on Tuesday night. Here is the menu:

MENU

Passed Hors d'Oeuvres
Venison Tenderloin
Black Currant Gastrique
Brioche

Spice Grilled Shrimp
Smoked Tomato Sauce
Cucumber Slice
Sazerac 6 Year Old Manhattan

Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Straight Rye Whiskey ($199.99 SRP)

1st Course
Cold Smoked Trout
Artisan Greens, Capers
SunGold Tomatoes
Sherry Shallot Dressing
Sazerac 18 Year Old Straight Rye Whiskey ($199.99 SRP)
Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey ($179.99 SRP)

2nd Course
Blistered Corn Ravioli
Mascarpone & Ricotta Cheese
Melting Tomato Sauce
Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Old Bourbon Lot B ($129.99 SRP)
Eagle Rare 17 Year Old Bourbon ($179.99 SRP)

3rd Course
Roast Breast of Pheasant
Beluga Lentils, Parsnips, Carrots
Black Cherry Demi-Glace
Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year Old Bourbon ($229.99 SRP)
George T. Stagg Bourbon ($199.99 SRP)

4th Course
Grilled Prime NY Strip Steak
Steamed Broccolini
Duck Fat Potato
Fine Herb Butter
William Larue Weller Bourbon ($199.99 SRP)
Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old Bourbon ($249.99 SRP)

Dessert
Goat Cheesecake
Chocolate Bourbon Crust
Caramel, Black Sea Salt
Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year Old Bourbon ($429.99 SRP)

:)

Stobey
03-10-2014, 14:05
Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Straight Rye Whiskey ($199.99 SRP)
Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey ($179.99 SRP)

I envy you! That's a little bit pricey for straight Rye whiskey, don't you think?
No way I could afford to be paying those kinds of prices for whiskey. :eek:

The Reaper
03-10-2014, 16:05
You can't touch the Pappy's for the MSRP around here.

Unobtanium.

Lucky bastidge! :D

TR

Roguish Lawyer
03-10-2014, 17:38
They are not selling any at the event because they don't have any to sell. Tastings are only 1/2 ounce too (1/3 shot).

TR, my bar is open brother, come visit!

Team Sergeant
03-10-2014, 17:40
They are not selling any at the event because they don't have any to sell. Tastings are only 1/2 ounce too (1/3 shot).

TR, my bar is open brother, come visit!

I'll be there in a couple of hours...... got any more wine? :munchin

Roguish Lawyer
03-10-2014, 17:49
I'll be there in a couple of hours...... got any more wine? :munchin

LOL, sweet!

Peregrino
03-10-2014, 19:24
OK - I'm salivating like one of my GSDs eying filet mignon. Yes, they do know the difference - not that they actually taste anything, it's gone so fast. I on the other hand, would savor every bite/sip. You'll have to provide a post-mortem so we can all experience it vicariously.

Roguish Lawyer
03-12-2014, 08:24
You'll have to provide a post-mortem so we can all experience it vicariously.

It was a great evening. I don't like those tasting notes where the writer claims to have detected hints of tobacco, vanilla and hot young pussy in the whiskey, but I will say the following:

1. I am a much bigger fan of rye than I was before. The stars of the night for me, believe it or not, were the Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Straight Rye Whiskey and the Sazerac 18 Year Old Straight Rye Whiskey. I need to go get some now. Unfortunately, the supply of the Pappy rye is even scarcer than the supply of the wheated bourbon.

2. The 15, 20 and 23 y/o Pappy were all awesome as usual, as was the William Larue Weller Bourbon and the Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Old Bourbon Lot B. I really need to get a bottle of the last one, liked it a lot.

3. The Eagle Rare 17 Year Old Bourbon did not belong on the same table, or even in the same building, as everything else. Same with the George T. Stagg Bourbon, which is good but just not special like everything else we were tasting. Neither of these two are worth the price IMO.

4. The best part of the evening, well maybe just a good part of the evening, was the beginning when we got a detailed history of the Buffalo Trace distillery (where all of these whiskies come from). I learned for the first time that Blanton's, Col. Taylor, Pappy and many of the other premium brands are named after former owners or operators of the distillery. Call me a geek, but it was a great lesson in American history.

I'm sorry my friends here couldn't join. My bar is always open if you're in town.

The Reaper
03-12-2014, 09:17
I'm sorry my friends here couldn't join. My bar is always open if you're in town.

Now that is a nice bar! :D

You have definitely upgraded.

TR

Team Sergeant
03-12-2014, 11:00
It was a great evening. I don't like those tasting notes where the writer claims to have detected hints of tobacco, vanilla and hot young pussy in the whiskey, but I will say the following:

1. I am a much bigger fan of rye than I was before. The stars of the night for me, believe it or not, were the Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Straight Rye Whiskey and the Sazerac 18 Year Old Straight Rye Whiskey. I need to go get some now. Unfortunately, the supply of the Pappy rye is even scarcer than the supply of the wheated bourbon.

2. The 15, 20 and 23 y/o Pappy were all awesome as usual, as was the William Larue Weller Bourbon and the Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Old Bourbon Lot B. I really need to get a bottle of the last one, liked it a lot.

3. The Eagle Rare 17 Year Old Bourbon did not belong on the same table, or even in the same building, as everything else. Same with the George T. Stagg Bourbon, which is good but just not special like everything else we were tasting. Neither of these two are worth the price IMO.

4. The best part of the evening, well maybe just a good part of the evening, was the beginning when we got a detailed history of the Buffalo Trace distillery (where all of these whiskies come from). I learned for the first time that Blanton's, Col. Taylor, Pappy and many of the other premium brands are named after former owners or operators of the distillery. Call me a geek, but it was a great lesson in American history.

Oh that's it, who wants to go to RL's house and drink? I know the address :D

Sacamuelas
03-12-2014, 11:12
I was envious watching the pics on facebook last night. I enjoyed seeing the posts.

I'm all in for a trip to RL's. :cool: He likes the fancy whiskey with ...
hints of tobacco, vanilla and hot young p#$$*

haha sounds like he is still drunk.

Peregrino
03-12-2014, 17:12
haha sounds like he is still drunk.

Nah! At 1/3 of a shot per tasting I would seriously doubt it. Probably just simple euphoria. Perfectly understandable. And yes - I'm jealous; thanks for the run-down. I'll be keeping my eyes open for whatever I stumble across.

x SF med
03-13-2014, 11:32
There are some interesting looking whiskies at the local World Market, but WA state has levied taxes of about 30% (scalable based on liter size) which makes me not buy liquor in this state anymore.

I still love me some Blanton's, Pendleton, and snake Rive Stampede, and good single malt Scotches/Irishes.

Lan
05-19-2014, 16:44
Octomore 5.1 is my personal favorite.

cbkb98
05-28-2014, 16:51
There are some interesting looking whiskies at the local World Market, but WA state has levied taxes of about 30% (scalable based on liter size) which makes me not buy liquor in this state anymore.

I still love me some Blanton's, Pendleton, and snake Rive Stampede, and good single malt Scotches/Irishes.

Very true about the taxes in WA state med. I can still get a pint of Jack for $16 which is plenty for my homemade BBQ sauce. Any more than that, I cross the river into OR like most ppl in this area and get a bigger quantity close to the same price. Bushmills is my #2 whiskey.

VVVV
10-12-2014, 21:06
Just got back from 11 days in Kentucky...toured 8 Bourbon distilleries. The best tasting was the Whiskey Connoisseur Experience at Heaven Hill. Four 1/2 oz. tastes of their top shelf bourbons ($130 - $400 a bottle). Evan Williams 23 ($400/bottle) is AWESOME!!!!! :)

UWOA (RIP)
10-12-2014, 23:28
Scotch ... Johnny WalkerBlue Label to be precise ....

JJ_BPK
10-13-2014, 04:11
Scotch ... Johnny WalkerBlue Label to be precise ....

It's way to pricey for a BLENDED whisky.

I'll stick to SINGLE MALTS at better prices..

Currently, My goto is Balvenie 12 YO, Double Wood, a Speyside.

But I'm easy,, give me a single malt house whisky that's 12 yrs or older and I'm GTG.. With the exception of Lagavulin 16 YO. We have a Love-Hate relationship.

When I want to splurge, I try to find a bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh Cask.

Roguish Lawyer
10-13-2014, 09:20
Just got back from 11 days in Kentucky...toured 8 Bourbon distilleries. The best tasting was the Whiskey Connoisseur Experience at Heaven Hill. Four 1/2 oz. tastes of their top shelf bourbons ($130 - $400 a bottle). Evan Williams 23 ($400/bottle) is AWESOME!!!!! :)

Sounds awesome, I'm jealous!

Guymullins
10-13-2014, 09:50

But I'm easy,, give me a single malt house whisky that's 12 yrs or older and I'm GTG.. With the exception of Lagavulin 16 YO. We have a Love-Hate relationship.

What on earth can you have against Lagavulin 16? I can understand prejudice against their Cask-Strength nonsense, but the 16yo?

JJ_BPK
10-13-2014, 10:59
What on earth can you have against Lagavulin 16? I can understand prejudice against their Cask-Strength nonsense, but the 16yo?

It may be me,, but the salt is just to much of the flavor.

UWOA (RIP)
10-13-2014, 11:03

Hey! I like what I like .... (there's no accounting for taste, just ask me ... LOL!)

Guymullins
10-13-2014, 13:19
It may be me,, but the salt is just to much of the flavor.

Yeah, the barrels are really washed with sea spray constantly, so I suppose it is a bit salty. I like it for the strong taste of peat and a whiff of sea. Maybe living 400 miles from the sea makes that more important to me.

Ret10Echo
10-14-2014, 16:16
Tried a little something different last week. Opened a bottle of Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey. This was based upon a recommendation as I was purchasing a bottle of Laphroaig. The "Peatiness" is not to the extent of the Laphroaig. Probably more along the lines of some of the lighter Islays. Still a good taste if you enjoy the smokiness and want to try something a bit different.