PDA

View Full Version : What the...

Archangel
05-02-2005, 12:36
When did she find time to go to jump school? :confused:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050502/ap_on_re_us/prisoner_abuse_england;_ylt=An5IO8NPKrnaodLaYY4OIj .s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

jasonglh
05-02-2005, 12:56
I have been seeing that same question on message boards all over the net. Heres a good side shot of her showing her new patch:

http://us.news3.yimg.com/img.news.yahoo.com/util/anysize/345,http%3A%2F%2Fus.news1.yimg.com%2Fus.yimg.com%2 Fp%2Frids%2F20050502%2Fi%2Fr2414031722.jpg?v=1

tyrsnbdr
05-02-2005, 13:12
She was problably reasigned to XVIII Airborne Corps for her trail, hense the Beret. As long as you asigned to an Airborne unit your authorized the beret even if you have never been to Airborne School.

At least she pleaded guilty and owned up to her misconduct.

Archangel
05-02-2005, 13:14
She was problably reasigned to XVIII Airborne Corps for her trail, hense the Beret. As long as you asigned to an Airborne unit your authorized the beret even if you have never been to Airborne School.

At least she pleaded guilty and owned up to her misconduct.
Has it always been like this? :confused:

When I was at Bragg in 91, the non-airborne qualified troops wore the BDU cap regardless of whether they were assigned to an airbone unit or not.

tyrsnbdr
05-02-2005, 13:22
I don't know if it’s always been like that. I do know, in my very limit experience, that everyone in the unit wears the beret. With, of course, the “legs” being harassed in good military tradition until the “leg” fixes their problem. I’m going to go out on a limb and say she’s not going to Airborne School anytime soon.

jbour13
05-02-2005, 13:35
The 18th Abn Corps is a HQ element for many non-airborne units. 10th Mountain, 101st (Air Assualt), 3rd ID, etc, etc..... That being said, tyrsnbdr is probably correct in the statement that she's probably reassigned to them for tracking purposes. Who knows, maybe someone on Ft. Bragg could explain it further.

I'm not sure but I do believe that some units in the 101st still wear the maroon beret. Each infantry division does have it's airborne assets, usually LRSD.

My last duty assignment was in the 25th ID(L) and we had a LRS detachment on post and they had the airborne tab above the division patch. I don't recall seeing them in maroon beret's though. 3 1/2 years went by too quick in paradise. :D

I'll have mine on within the next 6 months (with jump wings on the chest). I'll be going to 7th Group (Non-SF), what battalion I don't know, I may be unlucky and go to the MID. :(

Kyobanim
05-02-2005, 13:53
If she was assigned to an Airborne unit she wears the beret if it is uniform as posted by the boss. If the unit is an airborne unit and the 'tab' is part of the patch then she wears the tab.

The 101st is called the 101st Airborne, (holdover from the good old days) which is why they have an airborne tab instead of an air assault tab. When I was there and they dropped the airborne mission we switched from red to blue berets for infantry but the Cav got the good stuff. They got Stetsons and a gold hanky to put around their delicate necks. :D

All of this is probably wrong so don't make any bets placed on this info :p

Airbornelawyer
05-02-2005, 14:16
AFAIK, jbour13 is right, the only component of the 101st that should be wearing the maroon beret is the LRSD, as is the case for other division and corps LRSUs (and which for the 10th MTN's LRSD means the unit patch includes two tabs).

When the beret regulations in USASOC were changed in January 1993, IIRC, the green beret was no longer an organizational item and non-SF-qualified personnel in SF units switched to the maroon beret, with one exception. Ranger-qualified personnel assigned to an SF unit could wear the black beret. I think combat weatherman had their own beret, but they were attached, not assigned.

Within the 75th, the black beret remained a pseudo-organizational item - all personnel in the Regiment, including non-Ranger-qualified personnel, wore it, but only upon completion of RIP. Graduating RIP included a beret-conferring ceremony. I have no idea what support personnel did at RTB, but I think RTB is a TRADOC, not USASOC, unit.

With the change in black berets, it seems like what ought to be the rule is that non-airborne-qualified personnel should wear the black beret, but XVIII Airborne Corps doesn't appear to be following that rule.

What do they do in Group now? I imagine Ranger-qualified personnel don't wear the tan beret. Do legs wear the black beret? My experience was that legs generally avoided berets for the reasons tyrsnbdr notes, but if they had to, would they wear maroon?

Airbornelawyer
05-02-2005, 14:56
BTW, this uniform policy should probably be changed. Let them wear the generic flash. Otherwise the XVIII Airborne Corps flash is going to figure prominently in the rogue's gallery:

tyrsnbdr
05-02-2005, 15:44
AFAIK, jbour13 is right, the only component of the 101st that should be wearing the maroon beret is the LRSD, as is the case for other division and corps LRSUs (and which for the 10th MTN's LRSD means the unit patch includes two tabs).

10th MTN's LRSD did where both Tabs and the Maroon Beret. I said "did" because they have been deactivated w/ the transformation. :(

luvanwilder
05-04-2005, 01:48
AL,
I cannot speak for all of the groups as I have only been here in 1-10 but based on my experience the maroon beret is worn by all personnel assigned to the unit whether airborne qualified or not. Nobody here wears the tan beret even if they are ranger qualified and just came from bat. My junior ops SGT was in combat with the 3rd ranger bat in Astan and he wears the red beret. Our weather team guys do wear a funky looking grayish beret but they are the only ones that "do their own thing." Perhaps one of the QPs from the other groups has a different experience?

CommoGeek
05-04-2005, 03:19

I think there are several units in the 101 with the maroon beret. LRS, the Pathfinders, the Air Assault school (I believe they have them because the staff are all on jump status), and the Parachute Demonstration Team. I think you're looking around 400 or so folks with the maroon beret in the 101st.

luvanwilder's experience mirrors that of mine in 3/20: Maroon berets for Support folks, Ranger tabbed or not, and Green for the 18 series guys. Legs wore soft caps until 98 or so when we were told that everyone would wear maroon or green. Our SOT-As attempted to wear black berets and did for a few months complete with 20th Group flashes but that was stopped rather quickly and they went to berets. Then they decided they needed baseball caps and that lasted a few months until they were back in berets, maroon, 1 ea.

GackMan
05-04-2005, 16:27
I think there are several units in the 101 with the maroon beret. LRS, the Pathfinders, the Air Assault school (I believe they have them because the staff are all on jump status), and the Parachute Demonstration Team. I think you're looking around 400 or so folks with the maroon beret in the 101st.

yeah PF unit wears them. well, they did when I was at 6-101