PDA

View Full Version : Martinis

Roguish Lawyer
05-01-2005, 09:26
My in-laws have an annual martini party. There are always contests, including best martini recipe. I won that one this year, so I thought I would post the recipe. It is a chick drink, and it is highly effective.

The Dirty Girl Scout

2 parts vodka (I prefer Stoli)
2 parts Godiva chocolate liqueur
1 part Creme de Menthe
Chocolate syrup
Maraschino cherries

Place one maraschino cherry at bottom of each martini glass
Drizzle sides of glasses with a little chocolate syrup

Combine vodka, godiva and CdM in ice-filled martini shaker
Shake, do not stir. ;)

Fill glasses and serve promptly

It tastes like a "Thin Mint" girl scout cookie.

Let's see what other martini recipes you folks recommend. :munchin

SP5IC
05-01-2005, 15:12
I am a vodka martini freak. Don't get me wrong, but gin mart"U"i, makes a dent in my day. The martini has to have taste. A Skyy is an invitation to a DUI. BTW, I don't care if they're "shaken, not stirred."

Sdiver
05-01-2005, 15:33
Let's see......

R.L. , you posted this thread at 0826PDT. A thread about Martinis. Did you....

A) Just wake up in a flash and thought, "I'm going to post a thread about Martinis"?
B) Just stagger in from a wild night of drinking, said Martinis?
C) Read your Sunday morning paper, drank you morning coffee and had nothing better to do?
D) Is there something you wish to get off your chest and tell us?

I think it might just be "D". A Martini thread at 8:30 in the morning....and named after a "Girl Scout" too :eek:

You wanna talk to NDD about this.....we undersatnd.

Roguish Lawyer
05-01-2005, 19:06
Let's see......

R.L. , you posted this thread at 0826PDT. A thread about Martinis. Did you....

A) Just wake up in a flash and thought, "I'm going to post a thread about Martinis"?
B) Just stagger in from a wild night of drinking, said Martinis?
C) Read your Sunday morning paper, drank you morning coffee and had nothing better to do?
D) Is there something you wish to get off your chest and tell us?

I think it might just be "D". A Martini thread at 8:30 in the morning....and named after a "Girl Scout" too :eek:

You wanna talk to NDD about this.....we undersatnd.

The answer is B, although I was drinking a different type of Martini. Basically chilled vodka. ;)

Rotor Strike
05-01-2005, 19:57
Have you tried Effen Vodka from Holland? I just picked up a bottle and haven't done Martinis with it. However, for Vodka Tonics it is my favorite so far.

brewmonkey
05-01-2005, 21:32
Martini's should be made with GIN and never with ice as it ruins the Gin. You can chill the glass but not the Gin.

Gypsy
05-02-2005, 09:17
Sapphire Gin to be precise...and don't forget the olives.

I'll admit your recipie sounds pretty darned good RL...more for an after dinner/dessert type drink for me as I'm not a big sweet drink fan in general.

REMFlt
05-02-2005, 12:18
whatever happened to the straight up martini, with gin, or vodka (my preference), vermouth, and an olive or three?

edit: I'll admit, RLs drink sounds pretty good for a desert drink.

mumbleypeg
05-02-2005, 16:19
A Dirty Girl Scout? I am such a simpleton. A bar in Seattle that I am fond of has a recipe on the wall attributed to Winston Churchill: Liberally pour the gin while staring at the Vermouth.
I prefer Tanqueray#10.
I have been known to really cut loose and order a Vodka Martini up with Olives.
A Dirty Girl Scout :confused:

17 will get you 20

Jimbo
05-02-2005, 16:51
Martini's should be made with GIN and never with ice as it ruins the Gin. You can chill the glass but not the Gin.

Concur. Now that Tanqueray no longer makes its Malacca (though I have a decent stash of the last of it), I prefer Hendricks.

Polar Bear
05-03-2005, 14:33
Take martini glass pour small amount of vermouth in glass swirl around to cover side’s dump out excess. Put two large jalapeno stuffed olives or tomolives in the glass Take Stoli from the freezer, pour until glass is full.

Done

Sacamuelas
05-03-2005, 15:24
I make my wife's as follows:

I always keep a bottle of Bombay Sapphire in the freezer... I also keep a bottle of kettle one vodka in there for the vodka martini drinkers.

1. Take a martini glass and fill with crushed ice then a little water to get it to the top. Place to the side for a minute.

2. Then take glass and empty ice/h20, place a dash of vermouth in the glass. Then swirl around and dump remaining contents.

3. Add already below freezing gin to glass til almost full.

4. Add olives and extra juice (Saca's woman likes it dirty :lifter )

Voila!

SP5IC
05-03-2005, 17:36
Getting aroused is good at my age. Talk of adult beverages, serious adult beverages is doubly exciting as well. I keep a bottle of The Famous Grouse for a brown beverage. I have it hidden in a tunnel with a tad of Mideton's Irish Whiskey.

Roguish Lawyer
05-03-2005, 17:47
Take martini glass pour small amount of vermouth in glass swirl around to cover side’s dump out excess. Put two large jalapeno stuffed olives or tomolives in the glass Take Stoli from the freezer, pour until glass is full.

Done

Excellent.

Polar Bear
05-03-2005, 19:30
Thank You RL have you tried tomolives before?

Roguish Lawyer
05-03-2005, 19:31

No, but I am willing.

Jimbo
05-04-2005, 05:46

I ate one in Vegas this past weekend at Smith and Wollensky's. I think those things are terrible. I will not be eating them again.

Polar Bear
05-05-2005, 09:57
It is a small pickled tomato

vsvo
05-05-2005, 12:32
I keep a bottle of The Famous Grouse for a brown beverage.
This drink reminds me of WEB Griffin's books. It makes an appearance in almost every one of his books as the drink of choice, no matter the war zone. I finally went out and bought some to try. It was good!

SP5IC
05-05-2005, 17:26
All gentlemen & women of honor or taste have a touch of The Famous Grouse in the cabinet. I haven't cuddled scotch for decades, but every once in a while...it's The Grouse. Have we mentioned martinis?

vsvo
05-05-2005, 20:39
All gentlemen & women of honor or taste have a touch of The Famous Grouse in the cabinet. I haven't cuddled scotch for decades, but every once in a while...it's The Grouse. Have we mentioned martinis?

I don't doubt you for a second SP5IC. Sorry for the hijack.

For us, I like PB and Saca's swirl and dump of vermouth in a chilled martini glass. Then Grey Goose and olives, also dirty. I know that's not a real martini Brew, but we bastardize the gimlet with vodka as well. :)

Polar Bear
05-06-2005, 05:53
RL here you go