PDA

View Full Version : BP Explosion update

casey
04-30-2005, 22:12
I think I'll just sit back and see how this one plays out.

April 30, 2005
Multiple blasts struck Texas refinery
Another update on the Texas Refinery Blast. "Multiple blasts struck refinery," from AP.

HOUSTON - Federal investigators said Thursday that several explosions rocked a Texas City refinery last month in an eruption that killed 15 people, injured more than 100 and filled the sky with black smoke. "We believe that there were a number of distinct explosions in rapid succession, possibly as many as five," said U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board member John Bresland.

Investigators still aren't sure what ignited the explosions at the BP refinery March 23. Lead investigator Don Holmstrom said there may have been multiple ignition sources, and that some of the board's 10 investigators were conducting blast modeling to figure out the size and possible causes.

"Now to my untutored eye, multiple ignition sources suggests at least the possibility that these explosions were not accidental. So why was the FBI so quick to deny it could be terrorism -- even before agents had visited the site? After all, we know the site was photographed by a "Middle Eastern man." I am not saying this was an act of jihad terrorism; I am saying, however, that this investigation is starting to smell worse and worse" - JW writer.