PDA

View Full Version : My day at MEPS

phily357
04-27-2005, 10:29
Well I arrived at the MEPS hotel this morning, got the shippers brief, and hopped on the bus to the Federal Building. The National Guard Liaison gave me my bar code and pointed me to medical inspect. Weighed in at 72 inches and 207lbs, was taped and passed the body fat with miles to spare. Doctor took a look at me and grumbles,”Go to station five.” So I sit outside his office and wait nervously and wouldn’t ya know it my hands get clammy.

Little background- a year and a half ago I was working on enlisting in the Air Force… I know bad judgment. Same doc. dq’s me for hyperhydrosis(sp?), severe sweating of the hands and feet. Well with my dads help I saw the dean of Chapel Hill Medical College, the man who actually wrote the book on hyperhydrosis, his diagnosis was that the DOD doc was nuts and I didn’t have this condition. No waiver needed now because I decided to go Colorado, NG SF. I head out to the Denver, MEPS my medical status is changed, and I am good to go.

Well I live in Buffalo, NY and was shipping from Buffalo today. Now this doc. takes one look at my file and tells me he is permanently medically disqualifying me. It’s a difference of opinion in his book and he wins. I was then sent home. I called my father, a retired Navy Commander, F-14 and F-18 pilot, who is a virtual buzz saw when it comes to getting things taken care of, and told him the news and that I was just going to take the subway and then walk the rest of the way home. Before I hang up with him he says, “This pisses me off but you just woke me up at 7:45 on my day off and told me this and now I’m really FUCKIN PISSED, don’t worry Phil this is all going to be taken care of.” This coming from the coolest, calm and collected man I have ever met means something is going to happen, real fast. While I was on the subway there was a sudden rumble that felt like an earth quake and the lights flickered. Ten minutes later I climbed the stairs to ground level and was greeted by my dad saying lets get you back down town, you’re shipping today. I said what happened and my dad gave me a wink and said “I woke up some important people that felt the same way as I.” 10:20 I get back to the 10th floor of the Federal Building and am greeted by an Air Force 2nd Lt. that apologized for the mix up and said everything was taken care of and promised me, I would be shipping tomorrow.

tyrsnbdr
04-27-2005, 11:11
Congrats on your small victory. Remember, every step in the road of life will have similar situations like this. Now the new 25 meter target. Basic training.

Martin
04-27-2005, 15:06
Congrats, Phil. That must have felt great! Train hard and move with faith in your cause.

jatx
04-27-2005, 15:13
Good luck on your journey.

NousDefionsDoc
04-27-2005, 15:54
Fighting a war all over the globe for 4 years and Dick Dancer is worried about your hands and feet sweating? Ass clown.

Don't abuse the Dad thing by going to the well too often. That kind of thing is usually a one shot deal. Like a LAW.

The Reaper
04-27-2005, 16:04
Fighting a war all over the globe for 4 years and Dick Dancer is worried about your hands and feet sweating? Ass clown.

Don't abuse the Dad thing by going to the well too often. That kind of thing is usually a one shot deal. Like a LAW.

Concur.

TR

Eagle5US
04-27-2005, 17:22
Nice to know the reason he walks funny now isn't because he is old, but because he has to make room for his monster nads to swing to and fro.

Try to remember something else about MEPS and the like...
Doctors work there USUALLY because they are unable to be successful anywhere else.
They are paid the least, and can do the lowest amount of damage. We bounced 2 from our Patient Care sections at Drum for their "quality performances". Not bad enough to lose their Medical Liscences-but certainly scarey enough to not want them treating troopers.
Doing half assed physicals all day long is NOT glorious work, and those pieces of paper still need a Doctor to sign off on them.

Tumbs up to the both of you-you ought to go buy him a beer :D

Eagle

lksteve
04-27-2005, 20:35
I would be shipping tomorrow.
now, the real fun begins...and your dad just became your dad again...