PDA

View Full Version : Grill recommendations ?

DunbarFC
04-26-2005, 13:49
So on Friday my girlfriend and I are moving into our first house and I've been busy shopping for things we'll need - bought the lawn mower, rakes, trash barrells etc

But like any good man, I realize I need to get a grill. Now I am a Yankee so I don't know all the tricks you Southern boys have for BBQ.

What I need to know is should I go gas or charcoal ?

Can anyone recommend some good makes/models so I don't buy some POS that will die after one burger ?

Any advice is much appreciated

Eagle5US
04-26-2005, 14:05
Charcoal...
Weber kettles are good-
BUT
The Kingsford Pro was my all time favorite. Sadly, mine cooked it's last rib-eye just over a year ago after 16 years of faithfully, flawlessly,l cooking all means of fish, feather, and mammal.
I do miss my grill :(

Eagle

DunbarFC
04-26-2005, 14:06
Thanks Eagle

And to anyone who gives advice and finds themselves in Whitman MASS, the steaks and beers are on me

mffjm8509
04-26-2005, 14:20
I've got a Vermont Castings gas grill.

Best edition to my patio in years!

mp

GTRich
04-26-2005, 15:16
While a good ol' charcoal grill will trump this in the price department, a Traeger Wood Pellet Grill (http://www.traegergrills.com/residential.htm) is probably the finest grill a man could ask for. These grills burn hardwood sawdust pellets from different types of wood, giving the food different sorts of flavors. My father has one and grills everything on it, from pizza to Thanksgiving turkey and frequent batches of turkey jerky and salmon. And we're from the northwest, I can only imagine what the Southern boys could use it for.

With the price, it really is a once-in-a-lifetime grill. (My pa got it as a gift.) A former national BBQ champion who is also a sales rep for my Dad's business used this one, he liked it not only because of the great flavor of the meat, but because very little work and time goes into starting the thing up.

Food for thought...or thoughts toward food, I guess.

jon448
04-26-2005, 15:22
Thanks Eagle

And to anyone who gives advice and finds themselves in Whitman MASS, the steaks and beers are on me
On that note Dunbar since I'm in Woosta which is only what...half way across the state?? I should contribute my .02.
My family has a Weber Genesis Gold and we love it. Never had any problems at all and its big enough to grill for a bunch of people but it kind of is a little bit of an overkill if you and the g/f are the only ones who plan on using it most of the time.

Bellerophon
04-26-2005, 15:34
Charcoal...
Weber kettles are good-

I agree completely. They are versatile also. "Quick" smoking, fire pit, s'mores, just about anything is possible. Reasonably priced in various sizes according to space and needs, not to mention great availability of spare parts and accessories.

I bought a "smokin' joe" or "little smoky" whatever the smallest one is, about 9 years ago, it has been used as a fire pit numerous times for marshmallows or drinks outside after dinner when the temp drops. It is convenient and reasonably efficient with charcoal. Additionally it has never been covered or brought inside during winter. I have replaced the top grill once.

I have a much newer full size Weber with no bells or whistles which gets used less because of the number of people in the household, but is much better for slow indirect cooking and smoking, and obviously useful in feeding the hungry masses when they arrive in the summer.

Eagle5US
04-26-2005, 16:52
are in for a hurtin next time I am up that way. I come to "Woosta Mass" every couple of years to do some work at UMASSMED in their Virology research lab. Been coming and going since '86. Nice folks them "Woostafarians" :D

Eagle

jasonglh
04-26-2005, 17:14
If you go charcoal I suggest a smoker where the coals are on the side as in the other thread. That way if you just want to grill on the coals you dont have to use the smoker part. But you still have it for less than the cost of buying a grill and a smoker.

If your going gas I have a Legacy LS Holland Grill.

http://www.hollandgrill.com/ls_series/legacy_ls.html

My pop had a Holland for 15 years before a Tornado knocked down our barn with it. Pop got a new one from the insurance company. It only needed the legs straightened out and I used it for 2 years before buying my stainless steel one. Even then the thing just wont die as Maas now has it.

I also hear Decane makes a nice gas grill as well.

jon448
04-26-2005, 17:35
are in for a hurtin next time I am up that way. I come to "Woosta Mass" every couple of years to do some work at UMASSMED in their Virology research lab. Been coming and going since '86. Nice folks them "Woostafarians" :D

Eagle
Woostafarians??? If I was actually from Worcester I'd be either insulted or amused not sure which. I'm just down here for school, originally from northern Mass, up near the NH border.
I actually go to school right near UMASSMED, just actually had to pay them a visit about 2 months ago since the food company who caters for my school decided to try to kill me. :mad:

bberkley
04-26-2005, 17:47
I have a Weber Genesis Silver C. Love the grill, even have the rotisserie basket/motor for it. I've replaced the grates with the porcelain-coated cast iron.

I got the plans for a smoker here: http://how-to-plans.com/bbq_smoker_plans.html

Hopefully after I'm done redoing the lawn and putting in a fence this summer I'll build it as a project with my father-in-law.

DunbarFC
04-26-2005, 18:30

Eagle

Eagle if you can find Whitman.......I'll cook til you drop !

I think I'm going to go charcoal, and most likely with a Weber

Thanks guys its much appreciated !

jasonglh
04-26-2005, 20:31
Hey thanks for posting those smoker plans I think you just saved me $200.

Well that is if I can manage to weld it without ending up in the ER :D

CPTAUSRET
04-27-2005, 09:27
I have a Weber Genesis Silver C. Love the grill, even have the rotisserie basket/motor for it. I've replaced the grates with the porcelain-coated cast iron.

I got the plans for a smoker here: http://how-to-plans.com/bbq_smoker_plans.html

Hopefully after I'm done redoing the lawn and putting in a fence this summer I'll build it as a project with my father-in-law.

That's what I want!

But I can't fabricate worth a darn does anyone build something similar, which sells as a unit, or a kit?

Terry

Kyobanim
04-27-2005, 09:30
Speaking of building. Has anyone built a brick fireplace for BBQ?

bberkley
04-27-2005, 11:33
That's what I want!

But I can't fabricate worth a darn does anyone build something similar, which sells as a unit, or a kit?

Terry

CPT Terry,

There is a guy I know locally that builds targets and whatnot, he is a very talented welder. I can see how much he would charge, but something that heavy would have to ship motor freight or you could drive to Oregon to pick it up. :)

He does travel to USPSA 3-Gun competitions quite often, as far as Minnesota to my knowledge.

There are some places that sell smokers, some large enough to require a substantial amount of truck to tow them. Way beyond what I need.

brewmonkey
04-27-2005, 13:31
That's what I want!

Terry

You buy the plans, I'll grab the beer and head up to the Iowa home to help assemble it. We can sit around, fiddle with the grill, drink some beer and then call someone who knows how to fix what we will be sure to break! :D

The Reaper
04-27-2005, 13:34
That's what I want!

Terry

Send an airline ticket to Bill Harsey, rent a welder, and buy a keg of beer.

Easy fix!

TR

Kyobanim
04-27-2005, 13:50

Easy fix!

TR

Then you can have a BBQ that will not only cook the meat, but cut it as well!

jatx
04-27-2005, 15:32
I've got a Vermont Castings gas grill.

Best edition to my patio in years!

mp

I have one of these, as well, and it is really really nice. By far the best grill I have ever owned (coming from someone who hates to cook inside, LOL).

Bellerophon
04-27-2005, 16:57
Speaking of building. Has anyone built a brick fireplace for BBQ?

A good friend of mine built one out of cinder blocks. I would have to say that the cooking surface was about three feet by five feet. It looked simple. I think he had one cinder block turned sideways for ventilation on each side near the bottom. The grill top was made of diamond shaped metal grating with rebar as a frame and some pipes for handles. Pretty cool of you ask me, he used to cook for the entire neighborhood and his extended family and friends at least twice a season. Popular fellow, especially with the hay rides for kids and bon fires.

It looked like a snap to build, the most difficult part was prolly getting the ground flat and level. It sorta seemed like over kill sometimes but he was that kind of guy, he would start a seperate camp fire just for the baked potatoes.

I have always thought that a brick pizza oven would have been a cool addition to these outdoor appliances.

I just noted that you specifically said BBQ, sorry if this does not apply since it was strictly a Grill and you could not technically BBQ.

Are you going to roast some hogs, chicken or ribs?

jasonglh
04-27-2005, 17:30
That sounds alot like the one I posted a pic of in this thread:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6647&page=2

Its concrete blocks and an outer layer of some other stones to make it look pretty so my grandmother wouldnt complain about how ugly it is.

Many of you guys do some highspeed cooking anybody have one of these?

http://biggreenegg.com/

The place that has all the woodchips I get for my grill is selling the crap out of these things for some reason.

brewmonkey
04-27-2005, 19:59
That sounds alot like the one I posted a pic of in this thread:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6647&page=2

Its concrete blocks and an outer layer of some other stones to make it look pretty so my grandmother wouldnt complain about how ugly it is.

Many of you guys do some highspeed cooking anybody have one of these?

http://biggreenegg.com/

The place that has all the woodchips I get for my grill is selling the crap out of these things for some reason.

I know a few people with those and they love them for some reason. I always thought they looked like an oversized grenade.

Squidly
04-28-2005, 06:38
I have had a smoker of some sort ever since I moved to Arkansas (15 years ago)and have one recommendation to make if you do end up purchasing one: Get one that regulates heat well as temperature is the key to smoking. This typically means heavy wall construction, a close to air tight fit on all the doors, and quality dampers. The heavy wall holds the heat better and is not as subject to warping (creating air gaps). The tight fit on the doors for the same reason. Quality dampers do a better job of regulating the air/smoke flow. You don't want to have to play with it every 20 minutes to maintain temperature. Of couurse what this all means is money.

There are some quality smokers such as Oklahoma Joe's that can be found pretty much nation wide. One manufacturer I have been looking at is Klose BBQ of Houston (by gawd) Texas http://www.bbqpits.com/

The discovery of golf has cut significantly into my weekends but I still enjoy firing up the smoker when I can. Good time to practice chipping.

DunbarFC
06-14-2005, 18:06
Well I finally got the grill

Or should I say my parents bought us one as a housewarming present. Mom wanted to get us plants and a bird bath :rolleyes:

Luckily dad had veto power

It's a Char-broil gas grill. Fits nice on the farmers porch out of the sun and rain

The offer for steaks and beer still stands should anyone find themselves near little old Whitman Mass. :munchin

CPTAUSRET
06-19-2005, 08:30

Easy fix!

TR

TR:

I like this idea! I have a couple of books I need to ship to Bill, and as soon as Nancy's new one is released I will have a third.

There probably isn't much around Iowa City to interest Mr Harsey, so maybe I'll get him to come Santa Fe for grill fabrication. Sounds like fun!

Terry

Kyobanim
07-30-2005, 15:35
Easy to set up grill

Gypsy
07-30-2005, 18:33
Easy to set up grill

That's some innovative "Redneck Engineering"!

CPTAUSRET
06-22-2007, 09:39
I realize I am resurrecting an old thread.

I am looking at purchasing a "Big Green Egg", the topic was discussed briefly in this thread, any more anecdotal "evidence"?

Team Sergeant
06-22-2007, 09:57
I realize I am resurrecting an old thread.

I am looking at purchasing a "Big Green Egg", the topic was discussed briefly in this thread, any more anecdotal "evidence"?

Forget the egg, get a real grill......;)

http://www.rhpeterson.com/firemagic/magnum.htm

CPTAUSRET
06-22-2007, 10:12
Forget the egg, get a real grill......;)

http://www.rhpeterson.com/firemagic/magnum.htm

WOW! That's one hell of a cooking system.

Nancy tells me that we are broke, I am therefore striving to stay w/in my budget on this one.

When we sell the Santa Fe house our TEC grill will be transported here, then all I need will be a smoker. YOUR smoker would do nicely!:)

HOLLiS
06-22-2007, 11:19
Friends have been looking at these. They are made in Oregon.

http://www.traegerstore.com/index.html

dmgedgoods
06-22-2007, 11:46
PittsandSpitts (http://www.pittsandspitts.com/products/?make=Grills)
Fine grills, comparable prices. They have some great smokers as well. Several friends grill with these; no complaints, and tasty BBQ to boot.

CPTAUSRET
06-23-2007, 10:25
Nancy bought me a "Big Green Egg" yesterday. I carried it to the farm in the back of my pickup, had a friend help me offload it; and in the middle of a heavy rain I cooked a couple of steaks on it. The steaks were delicious, 4 minutes per side and on the plate. Later, when I was reading the directions/instructions, I found a (perhaps) better way to do it. At this point I am satisfied, will see what happens when I try smoking ribs.

I appreciate the advice, thanks, all.

LongWire
09-05-2009, 23:11
Nancy bought me a "Big Green Egg" yesterday. I carried it to the farm in the back of my pickup, had a friend help me offload it; and in the middle of a heavy rain I cooked a couple of steaks on it. The steaks were delicious, 4 minutes per side and on the plate. Later, when I was reading the directions/instructions, I found a (perhaps) better way to do it. At this point I am satisfied, will see what happens when I try smoking ribs.

I appreciate the advice, thanks, all.

Hey Terry you still happy with this purchase? I've been looking at these for awhile now. Thanks in Advance.

PBF
10-02-2009, 18:08
dun,

coming from south texas gas is a no go. everything tastes so much better with charcoal. depending on how much you want spend i recommend looking at gatorpit.net. they are heavy duty and would be last pit you would ever have to buy.

SF0
10-04-2009, 17:50
I use a little charcoal Weber with mesquite or hickory chunks for small things like sausage. I also use pans of water arranged like this:

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/charcoal_grill_setup.html

Tastes pretty good!

PRB
10-04-2009, 19:21
Oh never mind,
I thought you were asking if you should put diamonds in your teeth

armymom1228
03-29-2010, 08:12
Necroposting here..

Have been looking at this puppy...any comments.. is it worth me dropping $600 for it.. uses both wood and charcoal.

cypress grill (http://bayouclassicdepot.com/500-515-bayou-classic-cypress-grill-cypress-grill.htm)

LarryW
03-29-2010, 08:52
Looks neat kiddo but I'd end up with some sticker shock. I think it's one of those things that if you'd use it a lot, then the cost would be worth it, cause it sounds like it'll do everything but the laundry. If it's just something you'd use like a Weber grill then it wouldn't be worth the bucks.

(This is when you say, "Well, duh!")

I'm still thinking about the Orion Cooker.

Anyhow, IMHO...

armymom1228
03-29-2010, 12:30
Looks neat kiddo but I'd end up with some sticker shock. I think it's one of those things that if you'd use it a lot, then the cost would be worth it, cause it sounds like it'll do everything but the laundry. If it's just something you'd use like a Weber grill then it wouldn't be worth the bucks.

(This is when you say, "Well, duh!")

I'm still thinking about the Orion Cooker.

Anyhow, IMHO...

I do grill a lot, in summer, which is 9 mos long here.. pretty much everyday. It keeps the heat out of the apt. I have a cheapie gas grill that is small and okay for me.. Use a handful of hickory nuts for my smoke flavor. But I want something higher quality. I can get oak on a regular basis to cook with. I looked at good gas grills and am not impressed.