PDA

View Full Version : Hot sauce recipes

brewmonkey
04-23-2005, 08:21
I am a lover of good hot sauces. Anything from mild to spicy but with good flavor is always great to have round the house. While buying them is ok, it seems that finding excellent sauces is an almost impossible task so I started making my own. In the begining I used some recipes that I found until I got a feel for what and how much of it made good sauces. While I still use some of those recipes on occassion I do have a few of my own but would like to see if anyone else has a recipe they would like to share.

Here are a few that I have picked up over the years

This first one is pretty hot and not for the timid and remember when working with peppers wear some kind of rubber/latex gloves and keep your hands away from your face.

3 Green habaneros or scotch bonnet peppers
1 cup white vinegar
1/4 lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped mngo
1/8 cup chopped kiwi
1 Tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoon ginger

Trim the stems and blanch (*see below) the peppers in the vinegar. Use caution when blanching the peppers, open a window or make sure the area is well vented. When the peppers are done remove from the vinegar and discard the vinegar.

Roast the sesame seeds in a non-stick pan stirring constantly until they are browned.

Add the peppers, sesame seeds, fruit, lemon juice and ginger to the blender/food processor and blend until smooth and pourable. You can adjust for taste as well as pourability (using lemon juice) and when done store in a bottle that will seal tightly and allow it to rest for a few days to really let it develop it's flavor.

I use ball mason jars and adjust the recipe to fill the whole thing.

This one is a very mild green sauce.

2 large New Mexico green chiles
1 cup whit vinegar
1 teaspoon black cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder

Trim the stems and roast the peppers.-See below

Once the peppers are roasted blanch them in vinegar.
Combine 1/4 cup vinegar, chiles, cumin & curry in a food processor/blender and blend until smooth. You can adjust for taste and pourability using the excess vinegar and when done store it in a jar and let sit for a few days.

-To blanch the peppers bring 1 cup white vinegar to a boil and drop the peppers in for 2-3 minutes. The amount of vinegar can be adjusted based on the size of the recipe. Remember to do this in a well ventilated area, especially when using hot peppers like habaneros or scotch bonnets. When the time is up strain the vinegar out keeping the peppers and seeds behind for the recipe.

-To roast the peppers you can use a skillet, grill or the broiler. Just roast them enough so that the skin starts to blister on them. This is a handy step for bell peppers as well. While you might not use bel peppers in a hot sauce they make a great addition to pasta, pizza's burgers etc... With the bell peppers though I roast them until they are charred on the outside and when I remove them from the grill I put them between some paper towels for a bit before rubbing the skin off of them.