PDA

View Full Version : Sgt. Roy A. Wood, USA Special Forces

Team Sergeant
01-22-2004, 14:58
MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. – The soldier who gave up his Major’s rank to deploy as a Special Forces medic was laid to rest on a hillside in the Georgia Veterans Memorial Cemetery here Jan 20.

Florida Army National Guard Sgt. Roy A. Wood, 47, was killed when the vehicle he was riding in crashed outside of Kabul, Afghanistan.

Wood, a University of Miami Medical School graduate, worked as an emergency room surgeon at Lee Memorial Hospital in Fort Myers, Fla. before his unit was mobilized for Operation Enduring Freedom in 2003.

He is the first Florida National Guardsmen killed in Afghanistan and fourth Florida Guardsman killed since the Global War on Terror started on Sept. 11, 2001.

More than 150 friends and family gathered on a blustery January afternoon in central Georgia to pay homage to a man they said sacrificed so much for those he cared about.

"He was self-effacing, loyal, compassionate, he was totally intolerant of ineptitude and totally intolerant of people being mistreated," said Brightman Logan, Wood’s former college roommate and 25-year friend.

Described as tenacious, dedicated and passionate about his work, Wood not only put himself through medical school – even living in a tent in Grenada for two years while in school – he also went through the Army’s toughest schools including Airborne, Ranger and Special Forces.

"Roy not only had a passion about his military mission but his medical mission as well," said Sgt. 1st Class Mark Muniz, who served with Wood in Afghanistan. "He never ceased to amaze us on how far he would go to accomplish a mission."

Muniz added that many times Wood bought medical supplies with his own money and some times was the only doctor some Afghanis have ever seen.
A Special Forces soldier stands near Sgt. Wood's casket during the funeral on Jan. 20.

Wood even had friends send toys over to Afghanistan for the children he met – to help in any small way to bring stability to that war-ravaged country.

"Because of his medical assistance, people he treated would come in and tells us where improvised explosive devices were hidden," Muniz said.

His actions saved his team members lives, he said.

In addition to his work in Special Forces recovering weapons caches, surveillance and reconnaissance, he volunteered to help set up clinics for the people of Afghanistan.

He finished one clinic and was working on another.

His work is now the model for other clinics that will be built in Afghanistan said Brig. Gen. David J. Burford, Deputy Commander, U.S. Army Special Forces Command from Fort Bragg, N.C.

During the funeral service Wood’s family was presented with the Bronze Star, the Meritorious Service Medal and Florida Cross. The American flag draped across the wood coffin placed at the front of the chapel was folded and presented to Hana Wood – his wife.

"In a unit of the elite," said Sgt. 1st Class John Fiorino, who served with Wood in Afghanistan. "Roy stuck out above the rest."

Currently there are more than 3,000 soldiers and airmen from the Florida National Guard serving on active duty at home and abroad.

http://www.floridaguard.net/news/read.asp?did=2558

CPTAUSRET
01-22-2004, 16:12
Hell of a man, hell of a soldier:

Blue skies:

Rest In Peace, Soldier:

Terry

Doc
01-22-2004, 16:42
He epitomized "Selfless Service".

RIP

DOL

The Reaper
01-22-2004, 18:02
The guys in Medlab couldn't believe he did it, and were really hit hard when he was lost.

RIP, Doc Wood.

DOL

Surgicalcric
01-22-2004, 18:23
Blue Skies Sgt Wood.

18C4V
01-23-2004, 15:53
RIP

Ambush Master
01-23-2004, 16:12
RIP

Martinez
01-29-2004, 13:16
http://www.fayettevillenc.com/story.php?Template=columnists&Story=6143454

Finding meaning in ultimate sacrifice

By Margaret O'Connor
Columnist

Every so often, when life calls for it, I take out a copy of my father-in-law's obituary and read the words that his classmate and friend Robert Rogers wrote about him.

In the obituary, Rogers quoted Karl Jaspers, a 20th century German doctor of psychiatry and a philosopher, when trying to explain the sacrifices a soldier makes.

''Sacrifice retains its meaning even if everything for which it happened miscarries. To interpret a soldier's death as a means to an end is to traduce the soldier. To say he died in vain deprives the sacrifice of substance.''

I recently reached for my father-in-law's obituary to try to help me understand and absorb the loss of a friend. Sgt. Roy A. Wood, a Special Forces medic in the Florida National Guard, died in early January just outside Kabul, Afghanistan.

That quote by Jaspers helps me comprehend that although Wood died in a nonhostile vehicle accident, it did not in any way diminish the sacrifice that he and his family made for our country. Sacrifices are occurring daily in the global war on terrorism, and many endure the pain and loss of lives forever changed by noble sacrifice.

Wood understood and accepted the possibility of his personal sacrifice, but he sought service with a great desire to be where his skills could be employed. When Wood was not proudly wearing his military uniform, he was an emergency-room physician who was well-liked and admired for his ability to establish an easy rapport with staff and patients.

Planned deployment

Wood felt so duty bound to serve his country and those in need that he resigned his National Guard commission as a major and enlisted as a sergeant so he could deploy last July as a Special Forces medic.

Wood and my husband had been friends for nearly 12 years, served in the same Special Forces group and attended service schools together. Wood was a man who listened more than he spoke. But, as my husband would say, he was a man always worth listening to. He was a light that shone brilliantly and unselfishly for his country and for mankind.

While Wood was in Afghanistan he saw a need not being met and acted to improve the situation. He set up a medical clinic for women. In Afghanistan, women are not allowed to be treated by male doctors. So Wood, in his spare time, sought and found women missionary doctors in the area who were willing to volunteer their time at his clinic. He was that type of person. He gave of himself and convinced others to do the same. He led by example.

He was blessed to have been able to fulfill his true calling, to help those in need. A calling that defined his life.

Wood loved his country. He loved his wife, Hana, and his two children, Roy Jr., 6, and Caroline, 3. He loved his work as a doctor and as a Special Forces medic. We should all thank Wood's family for everything he did to help make this world a safer and better place to live. Never let it be said that one person cannot make a difference, because this one person did.

Finding peace

I may not find all the answers I am seeking while reading my father-in-law's obituary, but I do find comfort in those words. Perhaps these few remarks by Jaspers will help us understand the magnitude of a person's commitment to their country and the sacrifices they are willing to make.

''Sacrifice has two aspects: Withdrawal from the world and activity in the world. Only those live constructively who are prepared to give their lives and will sacrifice them in the constant wear of service.''

CommoGeek
01-29-2004, 13:37
RIP, Blue Skies.

Airbornelawyer
02-19-2004, 18:39
RIP

Images from memorial service in Bagram here:

http://www.soc.mil/News/releases/04JAN/040112-A-01_0K1HM.jpg

http://www.soc.mil/News/releases/04JAN/040112-A-01_0K1IP.jpg

18C4V
02-20-2004, 03:51
Thanks for posting the pics.

Ockham's Razor
02-20-2004, 13:05
Those interested in contributing this fund can send monetary donations to Bank of America, Care of the Hana Wood Trust Fund, P.O. Box 50937, Ft. Myers, FL. 33994-0937.

http://www.floridaguard.net/news/read.asp?did=2528

Rest In Peace, Sir.

Godspeed.

ktek01
02-23-2004, 12:35
RIP

NSDQ
08-12-2006, 07:20
"All men die .....not all men truly live.
Doug" ......Firebeef

Thanks Sgt Wood....your voice will never die.

NSDQ

MtnGoat
08-12-2006, 09:43
RIP

vsvo
08-12-2006, 12:50
RIP

JJ_BPK
05-26-2011, 12:56
RIP Roy, Vaya con Dios..

One of the guys from my days in the C/3/20th sent me this memorial..

http://www.soflec.org/Sgt.%20Roy%20A.%20Wood.htm

PRB
05-26-2011, 13:17
Must have been a truley outstanding individual...man we have good men in the Regmt. RIP soldier.

JimP
05-26-2011, 13:57
Dang - wish I could have shook this guys hand. What an example for us all.

dollarbill
05-26-2011, 14:38
RIP my friend

wet dog
05-26-2011, 15:03
Rest easy, sleep well.

uplink5
05-26-2011, 17:00
Rest in Peace Doc...:(

mark46th
05-27-2011, 09:07
Selfless does say it best. R.I.P.