PDA

View Full Version : Glock won't lock to rear ...

Basenshukai
04-16-2005, 19:10
Well, that's essentially the problem I'm currently having. My Glock 19 has developed an issue with locking to the rear when the last round is expended. Originally, it did this about once every 30, or so rounds. I attributed this to cheap target ammo. Over the course of the last few months it's become too common. In fact, I decided to fire the regular ammo I carry for personal defense and still the same problem.

My glock has a new trigger and an extended magazine release. These two items were inserted into the gun about a week ago. The problem has occured for far longer than that. I'm gonna experiment with firing the gun with my thumb completely clear of the slide release, just in case I'm pressing this with my current grip (just thought of that today). Other than that, what else could it be? Any experts out there have any advice. Thanks.

BAS

The Reaper
04-16-2005, 19:15
How old is it/how many rounds do you have through it?

Also, same question on the mags.

Does it malf with all of the mags, including new ones, or just certain ones?

A high grip dragging on the slide release is another possibility.

Does it do it with other shooters?

TR

NousDefionsDoc
04-16-2005, 19:23
What Reaper said. When I have had that problem, it has been the mags.

GackMan
04-16-2005, 22:45
what they said.

Check the mags - it does this on all mags? how old are they and what kind of followers do they have installed? how many mags do you have? If you only have 2 mags and it used to do it every once in a while... well, maybe the second mag follower finally wore down. :) Check the slide stop for wear - they are like $20, how old is the glock?

does it fail to lock back when you insert an empty mag and manually rack the slide? or only when you are shooting?

who did the trigger and mag drop swap out? It is easy to re-assemble the 3 pin clocks and put the 2 forward pins in wrong... but that usually results in the opposite - a bolt action glock.

bberkley
04-16-2005, 23:55
Its highly possible that the spring on the slide-lock could have gotten broken.

If you have a 3-pin lower, i.e. locking block pin, trigger pin, trigger housing pin, the locking block pin has to be inserted first before inserting the trigger pin and slide-lock or it will break the spring.

If that is not the case, you might need new mag springs. Remove the baseplate from the mag, and you should have at least two coils sticking out of the mag if you invert it.

Team Sergeant
04-17-2005, 09:55
Throw it away and get a real gun. :rolleyes:

Trip_Wire (RIP)
04-17-2005, 15:42
Perhaps, you should take it to a good local gunsmith that knows Glocks.

You might also ask around on Glocktalk.com

Smokin Joe
04-17-2005, 18:09
Sir,

Try this, if you need any Glock OEM parts let me know.

http://www.dtdude.com/files/manuals/glock_armorer_manual.pdf

Basenshukai
04-24-2005, 21:01
Thank you all for some great responses. In fact, it was a simple lubrication problem. I fired it at the range this weekend with no problems. I also purchased a Sig Sauer P226 recently. It came with Trijicon sights, accessory rail on lower receiver, three high cap magazines and, best of all, the crest of the 1st Special Forces Regiment engraved forward of the rear sights. It was part of a group buy we did back at the unit. We got it all under $600.00. I'll post some pictures when I get my digital cam up and running. I fired 500 rounds off of it during the weekend and it was highly accurate.

My next buy will be a 1911 style pistol from either Springfield Armory, Sig Sauer (GSR), or a Kimber TLE II. That will be followed by a Benelli Nova and finally an AR-15 (and that's the last firearm I'll buy ... for real this time!). :D

Archangel
04-25-2005, 12:09
Thank you all for some great responses. In fact, it was a simple lubrication problem. I fired it at the range this weekend with no problems. I also purchased a Sig Sauer P226 recently. It came with Trijicon sights, accessory rail on lower receiver, three high cap magazines and, best of all, the crest of the 1st Special Forces Regiment engraved forward of the rear sights. It was part of a group buy we did back at the unit. We got it all under $600.00. I'll post some pictures when I get my digital cam up and running. I fired 500 rounds off of it during the weekend and it was highly accurate.

My next buy will be a 1911 style pistol from either Springfield Armory, Sig Sauer (GSR), or a Kimber TLE II. That will be followed by a Benelli Nova and finally an AR-15 (and that's the last firearm I'll buy ... for real this time!). :DExcellent choice on the 226.

Razor
04-25-2005, 13:32
Is the SIG 9mm or .40?

Basenshukai
04-25-2005, 20:33
Is the SIG 9mm or .40?

It's a 9mm pistol.

NousDefionsDoc
04-26-2005, 07:55
It's a 9mm pistol.

LOL

We need a smart ass smiley

Razor
04-26-2005, 08:23
It's a 9mm pistol.

That wasn't a bang on your caliber choice, by the way. I'm just surprised that the group buy didn't go with a .40, as you can get .357Sig and 9mm barrels to fit the slide, which essentially gives you three handguns in one. That's one reason why I really like my 229.

jbour13
04-26-2005, 08:34
Thank you all.....My next buy will be a 1911 style pistol from either Springfield Armory, Sig Sauer (GSR), or a Kimber TLE II. That will be followed by a Benelli Nova and finally an AR-15 (and that's the last firearm I'll buy ... for real this time!). :D

I happen to think that you'll begin a 12 step program before saying no to any more. :D

Oh....I get to pick up my USP 45 Tactical today. Childlike giddyness is about to ensue.

BTW, Kimber TLE/ RL II is one of the house guns. Functional and reliable. Shot a GSR and thought that Sig made a good entry for a 1911 knockoff. Springfield pistols have a place in my heart as well. I am torn between a full length dustcover operator or a V-16 longslide (don't need it, just want it!).

I'm standing by to see the Team Sergeant's comments on my pistol choices. :D

Team Sergeant
04-26-2005, 11:15
I'm standing by to see the Team Sergeant's comments on my pistol choices. :D

Kimber, 1911, Springfield, call them what you like their still 1911’s with a fancy new name. Funny thing is they jam just the same as they did 25 years ago, and require the same amount of gunsmithing.

You need not believe me, just take a Kimber, or any other 1911 out of the box and run 1000 rounds of factory ammo through it. Do the same with a USP.

BTW the USP I used to shoot bullet holes through bullet holes have never been worked on, never seen a gun smith, hell, I've never even adjusted the sights.

Enjoy your 1911’s (Kimbers), I do hope you can also afford the gun smith bills that go along with them.

TS

jbour13
04-26-2005, 12:45
Kimber, 1911, Springfield, call them what you like their still 1911’s with a fancy new name. Funny thing is they jam just the same as they did 25 years ago, and require the same amount of gunsmithing.

You need not believe me, just take a Kimber, or any other 1911 out of the box and run 1000 rounds of factory ammo through it. Do the same with a USP.

BTW the USP I used to shoot bullet holes through bullet holes have never been worked on, never seen a gun smith, hell, I've never even adjusted the sights.

Enjoy your 1911’s (Kimbers), I do hope you can also afford the gun smith bills that go along with them.

TS

I don't own anything I can't fix and I do agree that the USP is the best out of the box. I wouldn't own 3 different variations of them if I had any issues (USP45, USP40c and USP45 Tactical). 1911's are popular and as such the parts for them are readily available. H&K parts are hard to track down and pricey. Customization of the 1911 is the primary reason why I have them. I own 2 1911's and think that they fit my need for fun.

On another note, I understand that you are a H&K supporter, I meant no disrespect TS, I just know that you'd jump on the oppurtunity to put forth your much appreciated wisdom on the topic.

I do plan on giving you a heads up when I come out so you can show me what I can do with my USP's. :D

Cincinnatus
04-26-2005, 18:42
The point about HK parts availability is valid, but it's easy to make too much of this. I've got a buddy who put 60,000 rounds through his USP .45, without replacing so much as a single spring. Understand, I'm not recommending this, simply pointing out that the USPs and at least some of the other HK systems are hell for stout. The parts may be hard to come by, but you're not likely to have to replace many either.

jbour13
04-27-2005, 12:35
The point about HK parts availability is valid, but it's easy to make too much of this. I've got a buddy who put 60,000 rounds through his USP .45, without replacing so much as a single spring. Understand, I'm not recommending this, simply pointing out that the USPs and at least some of the other HK systems are hell for stout. The parts may be hard to come by, but you're not likely to have to replace many either.

Damn, 60K :eek: I need some more range time. :D

elmntskater1588
04-27-2005, 18:41
Bet your Sig doesnt look like this http://wackyiraqi.com/piece/sigmod.jpg

Stay safe.

jbour13
04-28-2005, 04:14
Bet your Sig doesnt look like this http://wackyiraqi.com/piece/sigmod.jpg

Stay safe.

I've seen some "Ninja-fied" guns that will rival that in reality. Thanks for sharing that. :D

Cincinnatus
04-28-2005, 08:18
"Damn, 60K I need some more range time."

Actually, he's well over 70k from that weapon now, but he did replace the recoil spring and, I think, a couple of other parts. I had a catastophic failure in a BHP that I told him about, I think a couple of others had similar tales, and eventually he got to the point where his need to feel confident about the reliability of the weapon overcame his desire to see how long he could go w/o replacing any parts. Or, at least that's my read of the situation.

ChandlerSniper
05-27-2005, 16:26
Throw it away and get a real gun. :rolleyes:

Blah Blah Blah....Just cuz you cant shoot one doesn`t mean it`s a bad weapon. :D

Scotty

Team Sergeant
05-27-2005, 19:02
Blah Blah Blah....Just cuz you cant shoot one doesn`t mean it`s a bad weapon. :D

Scotty

Not a bad piece if all one desires to do with it is hit the barn door.

Or if you have to outfit 3000 police with the cheapest auto pistol on the market, not to mention the least amount of range training requirements. :rolleyes:

You can keep it, I've fired enough rounds through a glock to know I'll not be betting my life on one.

TS

TXscout
06-01-2005, 21:39
It is most likely your mags. Could also be a combo of your mags and recoil spring

Did you put +2 baseplates on them? If so you will need to get the extra power Wolff Magazine spring or eqivalent---It is recommended that you put the xtra power spring in factory high caps as well, as your mags will tend to function more reliably, long term. Your weak mag spring is not pushing the follower up firmly/sharply enough to engage the slide stop. Also if you replaced the recoil spring and or recoil spring guide rod with a heavier version, you will see these problems too. A more forceful return to battery because of a xtra power recoil spring in combination with your weak mag springs will not reliably allow the slide stop to be engaged.

I would first work with your mags.

whit
06-28-2005, 09:20
If you send it back to Glock, they will fix it free. Phone number for an RMA is in the
paperwork or can be found online. That being said, it sounds like a worn
slide release to me. If you do not/cannot send it back to Glock for
repair, replace this part (or have a local Glocksmith do it). If all
else fails, I will fix it for you.
Regards,
whit