PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru packs/aid bags?

D9 (RIP)
04-16-2005, 17:32
I'm looking, at the moment, to go ahead and purchase the assault pack that I'm going to use for the rest of the course. Whatever pack I get, I'd like to be able to use in the 18D course and beyond. I've been looking at the Kifaru stuff for a long time, but they don't have anything that appears oriented to this purpose. Is it because their gear is so modular that they see it as just a matter of adding the right pouches? Or, is their gear really not well suited for this kind of thing?

I've seen a London Bridge medics bag at Gen Jackson's, but at almost $400 it seems a little too much. I've read the good review of the Tactical Tailor bag in this forum, and am considering that one. But otherwise I do like the idea of Kifaru's modularity. Does anyone have any idea if I would be best looking elsewhere given I hope this purchase will ultimately turn into a serviceable piece of kit for an 18D doing his job?

Thanks in advance.

The Reaper
04-16-2005, 17:39
I'm looking, at the moment, to go ahead and purchase the assault pack that I'm going to use for the rest of the course. Whatever pack I get, I'd like to be able to use in the 18D course and beyond. I've been looking at the Kifaru stuff for a long time, but they don't have anything that appears oriented to this purpose. Is it because their gear is so modular that they see it as just a matter of adding the right pouches? Or, is their gear really not well suited for this kind of thing?

I've seen a London Bridge medics bag at Gen Jackson's, but at almost $400 it seems a little too much. I've read the good review of the Tactical Tailor bag in this forum, and am considering that one. But otherwise I do like the idea of Kifaru's modularity. Does anyone have any idea if I would be best looking elsewhere given I hope this purchase will ultimately turn into a serviceable piece of kit for an 18D doing his job?

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend that if you do not get a dedicated med bag, and you think you might use it for that, that you at least get a front loader.

TSSI sells a nice med bag which is made for them by Eagle.

TR

Footmobile
04-17-2005, 05:56
I like Kifaru stuff. If I could do it over again, I'd have gotten a Marauder over my Eagle RAID pack.

I handled/tested a good portion of their product line last fall and it's all great stuff. If your looking at carrying it long distances, you'll appriciate Kifaru's attention to pack frame design, where as most other med bags seems to be an after thought in that department or not there at all. Kifaru offers a bunch of lightweight mesh internal pockets that may or may not be adequate for organizing a med bag.

Then again, I'm no medic. Maybe a dedicated bag, like the TT one you suggessted, is a good starting point. You may not need the benifits of a Kifaru pack (and the $ it costs) if it's something that needs to be stashed on top of a mountain ruck until needed.

Basically, I haven't offerd you a single solution. Good luck with the course bro. :D

Surgicalcric
04-21-2005, 08:06
Scott:

You are more than welcome to take a look at my Marauder anytime you would like, as well as my RAID or my Eagle A-III AID Bag.

If I had to choose just one I would take the Marauder everytime. It has an internal frame, and provides the user with the ability to add pockets, both externally and internally, as missions change. It is pretty much bomb proof.

As for a dedicated Aid bag, tha A-III is a good bag as well as the M-4 that Eagle makes for TSSI. I dont know if a dedicated Aid bag is the way I would go for my first bag. I would go with a modular, panel loader. This provides you with the ability to configure it to the mission needs, as well as yours.

Give me a call when you have time.

Crip

Razor
04-21-2005, 13:23
Another consideration is to hold off on big purchases until you're finished training. There's no telling what might be waiting for you in the team gear locker when you show up to your team. I know one company in 10th Group bought Marauders for all the medics to use as an aid bag.

D9 (RIP)
04-21-2005, 20:15
Thanks for the comments. I've talked to some of the 18D's that just finished the course and they tell me that you have to use stock gear in the course anyway (which I should have guessed - it makes sense). So I probably won't look into a dedicated aid bag for the time being, at least until I'm done with the 18D course and know my a** from an IV bag.

I borrowed Crip's Marauder tonight so I can get a close look at it for a few days. I'll probably wind up ordering one of these, or one of Kifaru's Tailgunner II's eventually (mostly just b/c I'm a gear dork, LOL).

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the input.

Surgicalcric
04-22-2005, 07:09
...I borrowed Crip's Marauder tonight so I can get a close look at it for a few days. I'll probably wind up ordering one of these, or one of Kifaru's Tailgunner II's eventually (mostly just b/c I'm a gear dork, LOL)...

If you are a gear dork what the hell does that make me?

Crip

D9 (RIP)
04-26-2005, 07:16
If you are a gear dork what the hell does that make me?

A pusher. ;)

Surgicalcric
04-26-2005, 07:28
A pusher. ;)

Pusher seems a bit strong... I like enabler better...

How do you like the Marauder thus far?

Crip

D9 (RIP)
04-26-2005, 20:23
Pusher seems a bit strong... I like enabler better...

How do you like the Marauder thus far?

Crip

Awesome.

I think one of these is in my future.