PDA

View Full Version : Bulgogi

Manstein
04-08-2005, 15:23
Has anyone had this great dish?

My father was stationed in South Korea for 2 years, and my mom picked up the recipe there. She still cooks it for us around once every few months.

http://www.asianinfo.org/asianinfo/issues/bulgogi.htm

Radar Rider
04-08-2005, 15:43
My wife is Korean; she makes some kick-ass Bulgogi. She used to be a chef in a Korean restaurant in Fayetteville. Needless to say, I eat well! :lifter

NousDefionsDoc
04-08-2005, 15:45
I love it. I went to Korea House on yadkin when we came in from suvival and had it.

jatx
04-08-2005, 16:05
Deleted due to low SA. :rolleyes:

magician
04-08-2005, 17:22
I am horrified by it.

One of the most significant puking incidents of my life was triggered by some bad pulkogi (I learned to spell it with a "p," for some reason....Ex-Wife Numba One was a Korean linguist).

I will not subject you guys to the tale.

It would surely offend the sensitivities of those who eschew anecdotes featuring explosive evacuation from opposing orifices.

:)

It makes me shudder to think that others can eat that dish and not befoul an entire apartment.

pulque
04-08-2005, 18:29
One of the most significant puking incidents of my life was triggered by some bad pulkogi

this must be a cooincidence.

I had THE worst poisoning of my life from bad bulgogi.

Hooahman
04-08-2005, 18:49
I prefer daeji-bulgogi. here's a recipe if anyone is interested.

1 pound lean and boneless pork, cut into thin slices

MARINADE
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed ginger root
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons red pepper sauce
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons rice wine (sake)
2 tablespoons sesame oil

Instructions:
Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and stir in a large mixing bowl. Add the pork and marinate for 10 minutes. Ready to grill.

The hotter the better, Korean is my favorite food

JB

Hooahman
04-08-2005, 19:00
ojunx-o bokum. Now thats the BOMB!!!!

If anyone is interested.

1 pound medium-size fresh squid
4 ounces scallions, cut into 1-inch lengths
4 ounces carrots, cut into julienne
5 ounces onions, cut into julienne
4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
4 ounces spicy Korean peppers, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)

Instructions:
Clean and cut squid into flat 1x2-inch pieces. In a pot suitable to saute, place squid and all the vegetables on top. Add the oil, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and sugar and saute over a high flame for 4 minutes, or until squid is tender (do not overcook). Remove from heat right away. Serve hot.

Damn, now I am hungry!

JB

Radar Rider
04-08-2005, 19:56
It makes me shudder to think that others can eat that dish and not befoul an entire apartment.

Apartment? Okay. But, didn't you ever want to befoul the team room? I chased a captain out of our room on more then one occasion. :D

Pete
04-08-2005, 21:21
Apartment? Okay. But, didn't you ever want to befoul the team room? I chased a captain out of our room on more then one occasion. :D

Running the 500 block of Hay Street in the late 70s made for some "REAL" interesting morning formation runs. Kimchi (sp?), pickeled eggs, draft beer; all in great amounts, could produce a thick oily smelling stench that would drag along with the formation. There was enough barracks rats that no place in the formation was safe.

That was also in the days we had go-go dancers in the club annexes during lunch time. Also when the Company Sergeants Major collected the weeks "Ah Shits" in cases of beer on Friday morning and the S-4 iced them down in a trash can for the afternoon.

Pete

Cincinnatus
04-08-2005, 21:40
There's a dish, that's one syllable different in pronunciation, that is BBQ'd puppy instead of BBQ'd beef. I inadvertently ordered that in Seoul, fortunately someone overheard me and asked if I realized what I'd ordered. The waiter would have brought it, and I probably would have eaten it, had it not been for this guy's intervention. :eek:

magician
04-09-2005, 02:56
I was going to say....that recipe for pukogi looks pretty damned good. I do not think that it was what I ate.

I am pretty sure...that I ate dog.

Now that I think about it...I have had some amazing battles with intestinal bacteria in my lifetime. There was the infamous Pukogi Incident. Then, the horrific Ceviche Event.

I could go on.

But...enough. I am 44 years old. I am supposed to behave with a little dignity.

:)

Hooahman
04-09-2005, 03:33
Depends on which Ceviche/Seviche you had. Sashimi is the sh!t. HOWEVER heheh I have had my bouts also. Had bad eel once :eek: good going down, BAD coming out!!! I still love smoked eel. Dog is stringy like Rabbit. I am not a BTDT but I have been around (A little as my dad says).

JB

vsvo
04-09-2005, 15:16
I love bulgogi. That squid recipe looks good too Hooahman. We have a variation of that dish, with pineapple chunks.

I asked my dad once if he ever tried dog. He said he did, but got sick afterwards and didn't care for it. I remember growing up listening to the adults reminisce about the homeland. There were some old timers that would wax poetic about how much they missed eating it.

brewmonkey
04-09-2005, 15:21
Depends on which Ceviche/Seviche you had. Sashimi is the sh!t. HOWEVER heheh I have had my bouts also. Had bad eel once :eek: good going down, BAD coming out!!! I still love smoked eel. Dog is stringy like Rabbit. I am not a BTDT but I have been around (A little as my dad says).

JB

Depends on which? Does it really matter which it is because it is all NASTY!!!

Radar Rider
04-09-2005, 19:08
I love bulgogi. That squid recipe looks good too Hooahman. We have a variation of that dish, with pineapple chunks.

I asked my dad once if he ever tried dog. He said he did, but got sick afterwards and didn't care for it. I remember growing up listening to the adults reminisce about the homeland. There were some old timers that would wax poetic about how much they missed eating it.
I've eaten kaegogi twice. Once, to appease the wife. She insisted that it would help alleviate my sweating during the hot Korean summers (it didn't work). The second time, 13 years later, I went with an old friend from the States that really liked it. I didn't. Both times, it required copious amounts of Soju in order to even do the deed. I like dogs; I don't like eating them. I found the meat too stringy and the taste too bitter to enjoy.

It's not my place to pass judgement on other cultures; all I know is that I don't like to eat dogs.

crash
06-15-2007, 04:36
Running the 500 block of Hay Street in the late 70s made for some "REAL" interesting morning formation runs. Kimchi (sp?), pickeled eggs, draft beer; all in great amounts, could produce a thick oily smelling stench that would drag along with the formation. There was enough barracks rats that no place in the formation was safe.

That was also in the days we had go-go dancers in the club annexes during lunch time. Also when the Company Sergeants Major collected the weeks "Ah Shits" in cases of beer on Friday morning and the S-4 iced them down in a trash can for the afternoon.

Pete

haha, Reading this brought back memorys, they used to hate me because I'd go out with the katusa's and eat tons of diffrent korean food and then end up going to the bars and drinking. Had to go past the bars to go home, never made it sober.

:confused: Thinking of that anyone know where one can legally get SOJU in fayetteville? I manged to get some through a friend with a korean wife, but I need a better source. Its really the only thing I like to drink now.. Thanks..

Snaquebite
06-15-2007, 07:11
You guys got me thinking about Balut my ex Paw-in-law used to make for me.

brewmonkey
06-16-2007, 23:02
You guys got me thinking about Balut my ex Paw-in-law used to make for me.

It takes huge balls to eat that stuff IMHO.

Books
06-17-2007, 14:31
Whenever I eat myself silly with bulgogi/kimchi/soju/et al, my wife makes me sleep on the couch. I think the word she uses is "pungent." I can help it though; it's just so great when it hits your lips!