View Full Version : Plame Case

NousDefionsDoc
04-06-2005, 14:25
What do you guys think about this?

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/e...t_id=1000872454

Plame Case, All Over But the Jailing?

By E&P Staff

Published: April 06, 2005 1:15 PM ET
NEW YORK It’s all over but the — jailing? A report today from Murray Waas, a longtime investigative reporter, suggests that Patrick J. Fitzgerald, the special prosecutor investigating the Valerie Plame/CIA leak affair, recently informed a federal court that his investigation has been “for all practical purposes complete” since October 2004.

In this account, all he’s waiting for is the coerced testimony of New York Times reporter Judith Miller and Time magazine’s Matthew Cooper. They have been under contempt charges for months and may be sent to jail soon if they continue to refuse to testify before a federal grand jury.

Waas, writing at The American Prospect's Web site, said he found Fitzgerald’s statement in court papers the prosecutor filed on March 22, but which went unreported.

Fitzgerald made the disclosure “in explaining why he considered the testimony” of the two reporters so vital, Waas wrote. “Fitzgerald implied in the court papers that if he were able to obtain the testimony of both reporters, he would most likely be able to close out his investigation once and for all,” Waas explained. “Most outside legal observers, and government officials with knowledge of the probe, as well as private attorneys representing individuals who are appearing before Fitzgerald’s grand jury interviewed for this article, say the fact that the prosecutor has considered his investigation virtually complete for several months indicates that he most likely will not bring any criminal charges.

“But Fitzgerald himself did not hint in the court papers as to how he might further proceed. And because Fitzgerald has so emphatically emphasized that the testimony of the two reporters is so crucial to his investigation, he may believe that they have corroborating evidence of wrongdoing by one or more persons under investigation that would allow him to finally charge someone.”

And what of columnist Robert Novak, who first leaked the name of CIA operative Plame, purportedly getting the information from a White House source? Floyd Abrams, the First Amendment attorney who is representing The New York Times and Time in the Plame case, told Waas: “In his motion, [Fitzgerald] represented that he is finished, except for the testimony of my clients. I don’t think he could say to the court that he is at that point unless he has already heard from Novak.”

Airbornelawyer
04-06-2005, 14:34
What do you guys think about this?

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/e...t_id=1000872454

Plame Case, All Over But the Jailing?Both E&P and The American Prospect are left-wing outfits who were all over the evil Bushies for blowing Plame's cover. As time went by, it turns out the facts didn't quite match the hype, and now there is some question as to whether a crime was actually even committed. It looks like things are moving in that direction, although I vaguely recall that there was a connected investigation regarding a NY Times reporter leaking details of a planned raid but refusing to divulge his or her source that had nothing to do with Plame.

NousDefionsDoc
09-01-2006, 20:59
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,211817,00.html

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usleak294869369aug29,0,3348226.story?coll=ny-nationalnews-print

NousDefionsDoc
09-02-2006, 12:57
LINK (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/02/washington/02leak.html?ei=5065&en=1939cd793ece790a&ex=1157774400&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print)
NY Times
By DAVID JOHNSTON

WASHINGTON, Sept. 1 — An enduring mystery of the C.I.A. leak case has been solved in recent days, but with a new twist: Patrick J. Fitzgerald, the prosecutor, knew the identity of the leaker from his very first day in the special counsel’s chair, but kept the inquiry open for nearly two more years before indicting I. Lewis Libby Jr., Vice President Dick Cheney’s former chief of staff, on obstruction charges.

I'm going to predict that Libby will not be spending Fitzmas, this one or any other, in jail.

I hate it when these special prosecutors turn these things into self-licking ice cream cones and don't get punished for it.

Team Sergeant
09-02-2006, 14:31
What bothers me is the millions that actually believe the left sided media stories.

Anyone that thinks the NYT's and the Wash Post are "credible" sources of news need to have their tin foil hats adjusted.

NousDefionsDoc
09-02-2006, 15:06
The libs should know they're screwed when the NYT is asking these kinds of questions. that's why I posted it. I will however go check my hat in the mirro to make sure it is straight....:p

Jack Moroney (RIP)
09-02-2006, 18:44
What do you guys think about this?[.”

The sound of silence in Vermont if deafening. I think the whole state, with very few exceptions, is in a state of mourning:D

kgoerz
09-02-2006, 19:57
NYT sales have dropped 91% since they published the overseas Bank Monitoring. They were hurting bad economically before that. I heard they are being bailed out with left wing donations. Isn't there some kind of conflict of interest in there? I read it on Sean Hannittys web page months ago, thats my source.

AngelsSix
09-11-2006, 21:06
I am not sure what the big deal was...Miss plame wasn't a soldier, she was a damn desk jockey...an analyst. Gimme a break.:rolleyes:

Here ya' go: http://www.nationalreview.com/levin/levin200507181123.asp
I had to cut the article short to fit; the link to the whole thing is provided above.

July 18, 2005, 11:23 a.m.
Valerie’s No Victim
Plame put herself into a political place.

Let's cut through all the clutter: Almost two years ago, I wrote that Joe Wilson had himself to blame for the publicity surrounding his wife, Valerie Plame. I was wrong. Look to Valerie Plame herself.

Despite all the hype, it appears that Plame works a desk job at the CIA. That's an admirable and important line of work. But it doesn't make her a covert operative, and it didn’t make her a covert operative when Bob Novak mentioned her in his July 14, 2003, column, or the five years preceding the column’s publication, during which time she hadn’t served overseas as a spy, either. And even if Plame had been a covert operative, as I read the statute, Karl Rove or anyone revealing her identity, would: 1) have had to secure the information from classified information; and 2) intended to use the information to expose her identity. There's no information on the public record to support this, either.

The New York Times now reports that a State Department memorandum identifying Plame was circulated on Air Force One and perhaps other places. Ex-Secretary of State Colin Powell was reportedly seen on the plane with the memo in his hand. (Of course, like so much the Times publishes, this had already been reported long ago by both the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal.) Perhaps the document was classified. Who knows at this point? But if Plame wasn't a covert operative who met the five-year foreign-service requirement, identifying her based on the memo should be of no legal consequence. And there are other reasons to conclude that revealing Plame's identity would not be a crime. In a devastating piece about the media's unconscionable hypocrisy, Andy McCarthy explains that the same media that are speculating about Rove's guilt filed papers in federal court insisting that there can be no underlying crime as Plame's identity was already known thanks to revelations having nothing to do with Rove or anyone else at the White House.

jfhiller
09-11-2006, 21:19
NYT sales have dropped 91% since they published the overseas Bank Monitoring. They were hurting bad economically before that. I heard they are being bailed out with left wing donations. Isn't there some kind of conflict of interest in there? I read it on Sean Hannittys web page months ago, thats my source.

91%? While I'd love it if it were true, it doesn't seem to pass the smell test. Maybe it's a certain type of sales or something - certain ads/pages/sections, states, international, etc. I googled around for it, but couldn't find any reference to it. Do you still have the link or any other details? That's the kind of news I could frame and put on the wall. :)

kgoerz
09-12-2006, 17:45
I meant 19% my mistake

jfhiller
09-12-2006, 18:29
I meant 19% my mistake

still worth a cheer! :lifter