PDA

View Full Version : Is this an abuse of the system?

Kyobanim
04-06-2005, 05:27
I think this is stepping over the line.

Smarting sheriff tracks down critic

By Henry Pierson Curtis | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted April 6, 2005

Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary has a vast array of computers designed to track down terrorists and criminals -- or a Winter Park mother of four.

Upset at being described as too fat for basic police work, Beary ordered his staff to use restricted records to find the woman who also criticized his agency's use of stun guns in a letter to the editor.

He then fired off a letter scolding Alice Gawronski, a 35-year-old registered Republican.

"I recently read your slanderous remarks about the Orange County Sheriff's Office in the Orlando Sentinel," Beary wrote on March 23. "It is unfortunate that people ridicule others without arming themselves with the facts before they slander a law enforcement agency or individual."

The letter caught Gawronski of Winter Park by surprise -- and she wonders whether Beary broke laws that protect the public's privacy.

"I thought I was exercising my First Amendment right of free speech -- expressing an opinion in an open forum about a paid public official," Gawronski said Tuesday, saying she considered Beary's letter a form of intimidation.

She also suspected Beary had snooped in restricted records because he addressed her as Alice Elizabeth Gawronski, using a middle name that appears only on her drivers license.

Members of Beary's staff confirmed Tuesday that they used Florida driving records to obtain Gawronski's address, but say doing so was within the sheriff's official duties.

Using that database to obtain personal information, except for clear law-enforcement purposes, has been a state and federal crime since 2000 when the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the Driver's Privacy Protection Act of 1994.

Privacy advocates say the use of restricted records is more significant than a tiff between a public official and a constituent. It comes at a time when police agencies are collecting vast databases of information on citizens in the name of homeland security.

"It is particularly disturbing that someone who has a leadership role on information-sharing does not seem to appreciate the crucial importance of privacy controls," said Jim Dempsey of the Center for Democracy and Technology in Washington, D.C. "Any of these systems will be undermined, and they won't have the public trust, and they won't deserve the public trust and the public funding unless they have . . . controls to protect against misuse."

The Sheriff's Office stated in writing Tuesday that it acted within the law. Sheriff's spokesman Jim Solomons said responding to a resident's concern is well within Beary's official duties.

"Here we have a case where an elected official takes the time to respond to a constituent's misinformed allegations and a personal attack with an offer to ride a shift in a patrol car, (or walk in his shoes), in an effort to enhance her understanding of the daily issues a cop faces," Solomons said in a written response to Sentinel questions. "If there was anything sinister behind Sheriff Beary obtaining her mailing address would he have bothered to send her the letter?"

Beary would not be interviewed.

The senior counsel for the Electronic Privacy Information Center questioned the agency's claim of innocent intent.

"If I were her, I'd sue and get him in front of a jury. He'd probably get laughed out of the courtroom," Chris Hoofnagle said in a telephone interview from San Francisco. "This is the most common problem with surveillance -- who's watching the watchers."

The privacy law does not define what constitutes abuse -- only that a law-enforcement agency must use drivers-license records "in carrying out its functions."

Anyone who violates the law can be sued in U.S. District Court for damages of at least $2,500, punitive damages, attorney's fees and all other relief the court determines to be appropriate, records show.

In Florida, the security of drivers-license records and other databases is monitored by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Enforcing the appropriate use of each computer terminal usually is left up to the agency administrator. In this case, that would be Beary.

"We assume, if you will, that the agency administrator and the people who work for the agency administrator are using it for a lawful purpose until we are told otherwise," FDLE spokesman Tom Berlinger said upon being told about Beary's letter to Gawronski. "If she files a complaint, someone would investigate it. I don't know who that someone would be. Frankly, it might be us."

Gawronski has not filed a complaint.

Beary wrote his original letter nearly two weeks after Gawronski's letter to the editor appeared in the Sentinel on March 10.

On Tuesday, Gawronski said she wrote to the newspaper after her concerns about the possible abuse of Tasers peaked when an Orlando police officer zapped a suspect handcuffed to a hospital bed to obtain a urine specimen.

"The urine sample kind of put me over the edge, and I decided to write," she said.

In her letter to the editor, she referred to a televised news conference on June 3 when Beary allowed himself to be zapped with a Taser to demonstrate their safety.

Seeing Beary incapacitated by a single electrical shock of 50,000 volts and "in an obvious state of duress" convinced her the stun guns should not be used, she wrote.

Gawronski continued in her letter, writing that the sheriff appeared so overweight and out of shape that she doubted he could arrest anyone without a stun gun. She suggested that if deputies were more fit, they might not need to resort to stun guns.

Beary characterized her criticism as slander.

"During my Taser incident, I was never under any duress," he wrote Gawronski, adding that his heart activity was monitored by a doctor during the demonstration. A videotape of the zapping shows it rendered Beary senseless for 5.5 seconds.

In his letter to Gawronski, the sheriff did not state why he considered comments about his physical appearance to be slanderous. On the day of the news conference last summer, Beary estimated his weight at 290 pounds and height at 5 feet, 10 inches tall. There are no physical requirements for Beary, an elected official.

Gawronski remains concerned about how often police use stun guns but now is afraid they have too much information at their fingertips.

"After 9-11, they instituted the Patriot Act . . . and I was all for it, because if you don't commit a crime you have nothing to worry about," she said. "But, now, I see there are situations where access to information can be a problem. Everybody is human, and if the information is out there, it could be used for the wrong reasons."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-asecbeary06040605apr06,0,834808.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

NousDefionsDoc
04-06-2005, 07:16
I agree. He should be fired

jatx
04-06-2005, 07:17
I agree, Kyo. Public officials do not deserve the deference of their constituents, and certainly have no right to interfere with their free speech to save themselves public embarassment. The Sherrif is a hack and should consider that there may be some truth to her words, however painful.

NousDefionsDoc
04-06-2005, 07:24
I wonder how fat he is?

jatx
04-06-2005, 07:29
On the day of the news conference last summer, Beary estimated his weight at 290 pounds and height at 5 feet, 10 inches tall.

Pretty fat, or else downright Herculean!

MinerDiver
04-06-2005, 07:34
He looks pretty fat in this picture...

http://www.ocso.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=27

Kyobanim
04-06-2005, 07:51
Here's a pic from when he was tasered. This is what prompted the letter.

NousDefionsDoc
04-06-2005, 07:56
You guys think he will get in trouble for hunting that woman down?

Surgicalcric
04-06-2005, 08:10

Dont know if he will, but he should be relieved from hiws position and not allowed back into LE.

Crip

Sacamuelas
04-06-2005, 08:22
I agree. She should litigate against him personally. I would feel a little uneasy about my local LE official looking me up and sending me a personal letter verses making a rebuttal in the paper for all to see. This was subtle intimidation and abuse of power and privacy.

NDD- let's run chunky's numbers through the reality checker. He "said" he was 5'10 and 290lb. THat means he is really 5'8 and 335. LOL

Smokin Joe
04-06-2005, 08:27

Tough call, it could go either way. It depends on who's ear she has and what political advesaries he has.

I think that she needs to be more educated about the Taser before she starts making gross assumptions. Statements such as "Maybe if Deputies were better fit, they wouldn't need to use the stun gun" are just flat out ignorant.

I also think he fucked the dog on this one; Violated his oath as well as the confidence of his constituent's. (Dumbass should have just ignored her and drove on).

Kyobanim
04-06-2005, 08:28
According to http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm, A person with a large frame with a height of 5'10" should average in the area of 158 to 180 lbs.

I'd say he's fat and needs to do some of this :lifter

And if he is that far off, what kind of example is he setting for the deputies he's leading? Elected or not, the lard ass needs to back off and loose some weight. He screwed the pooch on this one by doing this instead of replying in a public forum.

vsvo
04-06-2005, 08:38
I agree Kyo. It appears to be an inappropriate use of the information, despite the spin of the spokesman.

If he gets in trouble, perhaps it will be because someone wants to make an example out of him. With the high visibility of homeland security and the potential for abuse of the information collected, the public needs to be assured that these things won't happen.

Kyobanim
04-06-2005, 08:53
I'll bet this gets picked up by the national news services by tomorrow morning

Razor
04-06-2005, 09:49
Well hell, according to your source, Kyo, I'm 15lbs overweight. :(

Kyobanim
04-06-2005, 09:55

Damn! You need to go run up to 7 Falls this afternoon.

Then drink a beer.

Razor
04-06-2005, 10:02
How 'bout I drink two beers, and skip the run?

jatx
04-06-2005, 10:04

Don't feel too badly, Razor. The frame measurements suggest that I should still be swinging from treetop to treetop (5'9", 4" elbow). I guess I'm just lucky that I'm not sporting an oh-so-stylish orbital ridge. :D

Regardless, that Sheriff is one corpulent mofo.

lksteve
04-06-2005, 10:05
Well hell, according to your source, Kyo, I'm 15lbs overweight. (
hell, i'm 18lbs overweight...i guess i need to give up lifting weights, take up yoga and start eating alfalfa sprouts...won't be worth much at work, but i'd hate to be overweight ...

Surgicalcric
04-06-2005, 10:05

Hell I am 21 lbs over by that scale and I know I am not fat. I thought the army height/weight scale was FUBAR'd, but that beats all.

lksteve
04-06-2005, 10:15
in my mind, it's a gross abuse of his position...as has been mentioned earlier, he should be fired, his LEO certification pulled...let him draw food stamps...

NousDefionsDoc
04-06-2005, 10:20
I don't care that he's fat, it has nothing to do with it. I care that he is giving cause to the nay sayers on the Patriot Act and that Hadji jihad will slip through because his feelings were hurt.

Surgicalcric
04-06-2005, 10:22
...let him draw food stamps...

Are you suggesting Sir, the people who were paying his LE salary should continue to support him...lol

[voice of Soup Nazi]No food stamps for you![/end Soup Nazi voice]

In other news, I agree with what NDD just said...

Crip

Trip_Wire (RIP)
04-06-2005, 11:13
The fact that this Sheriff is overweight has little to do with anything. His misuse of official records is.

As far as I know, he is filling an elected office. He was elected by the people of Orange County to be thier Sheriff. I have no reason to think he wasn't overweight when the people elected him to be their Sheriff. So, in my mind, if the people who elected him don't like what he has done in this incident, or the fact that he is overweight let them elect somebody else, or try him for a crime if there is evidence.

As for his actions, he was wrong to use the official records for this purpose. He should have replied to this persons rant in the same paper's "letters to the editor" or whatever they used. She was wrong too!

If we fired every LEO that was "Overweight," we wouldn't have many left, especially in the ranks of Sheriffs, Chief's of Police and or Senior police supervisors. The majority of LE agencies have no standards for weight or physical fitness once they are hired. :lifter :munchin

lksteve
04-06-2005, 11:17
Are you suggesting Sir, the people who were paying his LE salary should continue to support him...
it's just my kinder, gentler way of saying that i don't give a rip about him...i am more concerned about folks like him that abuse their position...

Surgicalcric
04-06-2005, 11:31
it's just my kinder, gentler way of saying that i don't give a rip about him...i am more concerned about folks like him that abuse their position...

I was merely joking Sir. Guess I missed my mark.

What concerns me is how the media is going to spin this and use it as ammo to scare individuals enough to defeat the Patriot Act. Dumb ass just does not know what he started is the sad part. This affects more than just him, his job, his dept, and the woman who initiated the letter to the paper.

If we fired every LEO that was "Overweight," we wouldn't have many left, especially in the ranks of Sheriffs, Chief's of Police and or Senior police supervisors. The majority of LE agencies have no standards for weight or physical fitness once they are hired.
Hell its not just LE, but public safety across the board. The sheer number of fat-ass firefighters I work with alone is alarming to me, yet they are the first to complain about being out of breath when fighting the beast or walking up a few flights of stairs. Its really sad. I do enjoy however watching the fat LEO's on cops try to chase guys...thats pretty funny.

lksteve
04-06-2005, 11:32
I was merely joking Sir. Guess I missed my mark.

no, no...you're fine...i just forgot to add the obligatory smilie... :D

brewmonkey
04-06-2005, 18:57
He should be fired and never allowed to work as an LEO again.

He has some serious power abuse issues that need to be looked at, not just with this case either. I am sure if you go back far enough you will find he has abused his position many times.

Bravo1-3
04-07-2005, 00:20
It isn't Libel or Slander (as he claimed it was in the letter) if it's true. He's a big fatty. I know, cause I'm one too. I can spot them a mile away :D

He abused his office and did something that has gotten officers checking out real criminals fired in the past. He needs to be charged with an offense so that he can no longer work in law enforcement. He's the kind of guy that the Anti-Patriot Act Crowd hangs their hat on.

12B4S
04-07-2005, 01:25
That height/weight scale belongs to Metropolitan Life Insurance 1983. Life insurance companies prefer most folks DON't hit thier height/weight on these charts. They wouldn't be able to jack up the premiums on the majority. Besides, I had no problem with the table. :D

lksteve, I think yoga is out now. I keep seeing places teaching pilates. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this guy should be axed and quick. The previous posts concerning this being a feeding frenzy for the libs and media are right on. They are always griping about the Patriot Act, but they really didn't have much they could wave around. They're going to sink thier teeth into this and not let go anytime soon. It was a tremendous misuse of the system.

Just two beers Razor? Now that is a harsh diet. :eek:

Kyobanim
04-07-2005, 03:01
from the Orlando Sentinel

Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary apologized Wednesday for rebuking a woman who criticized his deputies' use of stun guns -- and his physical condition.

But Beary defended his use of a restricted database to obtain the home address of Alice Gawronski to write her last month.

"I never, in any way, sent that letter to you with the intent of intimidating you or diminishing your desire and right to openly express yourself," Beary wrote to Gawronski on Wednesday.

"Please know that I remain confident that I was within the purview of the Florida Public Records Law when I obtained your mailing address," Beary added in his most recent letter, which he released to the media.

Gawronski could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Smokin Joe
04-07-2005, 05:39
Gawronski could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Because she was talking to her attorney...

Goggles Pizano
04-07-2005, 08:43
"Please know that I remain confident that I was within the purview of the Florida Public Records Law when I obtained your mailing address," Beary added in his most recent letter, which he released to the media.

Oh? While I am not aware of the Florida statutes regarding release of public records I AM aware of general standards of conduct for LEO's regarding use/misuse of Justice Information System records. This guy was so far off that base the above "oh shit I'm about to get sued" response is embarrassing. Your fat ass deserves all the heat you receive! Now go eat a carrot and pray you remain employed you blank. :mad:

AngelsSix
04-11-2005, 06:14
This is classic. Talk about thin skin. Maybe if he wasn't so fat, his skin would be thicker....jerk.