PDA

View Full Version : Maryland vs Virginia Rep-63 Training

amatlis
04-03-2005, 16:04
Hello, I am getting ready to volunteer (turned 30 and realized I've waited too long to do what I really want to do).

I live and work in Arlington, VA so I'm about equidistant from the Glen Armor, Maryland unit (B Co. 2nd Bn/ 20th) and the Bowling Green, Va unit (B Co. 3rd Bn/ 20th). I'm also a Chicago native, so flying back to Chicago (A Co. 2nd Bn/ 20th) once a month is no problem (a pleasure actually).

I'm fluent in French and Spanish and want to go 18 Echo. I am an eletrical engineer.

Can anybody recommend one unit over the other in terms of training preparation and general unit activity?

I had a bad experience with the current Maryland recruiter (who is not SF). He knew absolutely nothing and I ended up having to explain to him how the SF pipeline works. He was convinced he could send me directly as an officer with an 18A.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

jatx
04-03-2005, 16:31
I believe that B/3/20th has moved to North Carolina. Also, the recruiter for A/2/20th has posted here within the last week or so, you might look for his post. Good luck!

Dustin03
04-03-2005, 20:08
Any of them, the 20th GRP rocks. Im with C Co in MS, and it is jsut a great bunch of guys.

Surgicalcric
04-03-2005, 22:48
jatx is correct. Bco 3/20th has moved from Bowling Green, Va to Roanoke Rapids, NC.

If you need contact info let me know.

Crip

amatlis
04-03-2005, 22:51
I think NC is a little too far for me by car. I would still fly to Chicago. I contacted the Chicago recruiter.

Thanks guys!

The Reaper
04-04-2005, 08:02
I think NC is a little too far for me by car. I would still fly to Chicago. I contacted the Chicago recruiter.

Thanks guys!

RR, NC is about 15 minutes south of the VA border just off I-95.

Very accessible from Eastern VA, probably about 3-4 hours from you.

Your call, though.

TR

Surgicalcric
04-04-2005, 08:33
The POC number for Bco 3/20th SFG(A) in Roanoke Rapids, NC is:

(252)537-3678 Have a name but wont put that out here without his permission.

PM me if you need it.

If one of the Admin's could edit the memo for the 20th Group Recruitment Info to reflect the change of station and new POC I would be thankful.

Crip

amatlis
04-04-2005, 08:38
RR, NC is about 15 minutes south of the VA border just off I-95.

Very accessible from Eastern VA, probably about 3-4 hours from you.

Your call, though.

TR

That's a lot closer than I thought! Shows I still don't know the area too well. Still a definate possibility then. Do you know the unit?

The Reaper
04-04-2005, 08:53
That's a lot closer than I thought! Shows I still don't know the area too well. Still a definate possibility then. Do you know the unit?

'Fraid not.

Others here may.

NG SF unit in NC is bound to have a ton of tabbed applicants.

TR

amatlis
04-04-2005, 09:46
The POC number for Bco 3/20th SFG(A) in Roanoke Rapids, NC is:

(252)537-3678 Have a name but wont put that out here without his permission.

PM me if you need it.

If one of the Admin's could edit the memo for the 20th Group Recruitment Info to reflect the change of station and new POC I would be thankful.

Crip

Thanks Crip. 3-4 hours is not far. I'll give the recruiter a call and get some info. If there's not much difference between groups, I will probably try-out for the Maryland group since it's closer.

Surgicalcric
04-04-2005, 10:00
...3-4 hours is not far.... If there's not much difference between groups, I will probably try-out for the Maryland group since it's closer.

I drive 4-1/2 hours to drill in Auburn, Ala. I know guys that drive 8 hours and even a couple that fly from Cali to Utah and Colorado to drill. Its all what you are willing to do to be with guys of a like mind.

All three Companies in your area are 20th Group, with Chicago and Maryland being 2nd Batt and Roanoke Rapids being 3rd Batt. The only big difference you should find is a differing Area of Responsibility (AOR). 2nd Batt is now Europe (10th Group) and 3rd is still South/Central America (7th Group).

In other news 1st Batt gets the honor of Africa and Middle East (3rd & 5th Groups).

HTH,

Crip

stone
04-04-2005, 10:09
Thanks Crip. 3-4 hours is not far. I'll give the recruiter a call and get some info. If there's not much difference between groups, I will probably try-out for the Maryland group since it's closer.

Amatlis:

Here's the phone # for the Maryland SF recruiter-- if you're still interested.

410-592-7546

amatlis
04-04-2005, 10:41
... The only big difference you should find is a differing Area of Responsibility (AOR). 2nd Batt is now Europe (10th Group) and 3rd is still South/Central America (7th Group).

In other news 1st Batt gets the honor of Africa and Middle East (3rd & 5th Groups).

HTH,

Crip

That's an interesting point you bring up. I had thought all of 20th was focused on Latin America which suited me fine since my family comes from Uruguay and I'm a Spanish speaker. Looks like if I want to focus on Latin America, I'll have to go with Roanoke Rapids. But, bottom-line, I just want to make it into SF period. I speak French fluently which could be useful in Africa? But then, I could equally look forward to learning a new language. Just getting in is my primary goal and whichever group better preps their candidates is the main motivator for my choice. I have read in different forums "such-and-such group never sends a candidate that isn't ready so they have a high pass rate" which leaves me wondering if some groups send their candidates unprepared and just reassign them after they don't make it. I'm not a picky guy, but I do want to get the best preparation and training I can possibly get.

Surgicalcric
04-04-2005, 10:55
...But then, I could equally look forward to learning a new language...

Lets see you make that determination after having been on AD for close to 18 months training.

...I have read in different forums "such-and-such group never sends a candidate that isn't ready so they have a high pass rate" which leaves me wondering if some groups send their candidates unprepared and just reassign them after they don't make it. I'm not a picky guy, but I do want to get the best preparation and training I can possibly get.

I dont believe any of the units send guys they know wont make it. I could however be wrong on my presumption here. I have been known to speak out of place from time to time...lol. There are always going to be, IMNSHO, those that are just trying to squeak by. They will continue to be weeded out somewhere in the training. As was explained to me some time ago by one of the QP's here, " SFAS is only the beginning. The Selection process is not over until your career in SF ends."

I would say prepare yourself according to what the Quiet Professionals here have recommended. There is alot of good information on here that will help you along. Use the search button and you will find enough material to keep your mind busy and your body thereafter.

Speaking of which, time for my P/U's...

Hopefully I have not muddied the water too much for you.

Crip

jatx
04-04-2005, 13:20
Amatlis, the QP's here can explain it to you far better than I can, but let me just caution you not to be too put off by those AORs. For example, although the 2/20th in Jackson, MS, is supposed to supplement 10th GRP in Europe, they have already completed a tour in Afghanistan as part of GWOT. It has been explained to me that NG SF go wherever they are needed, just like the rest of SF. Why not call and visit the units to see who you click with the best? That's my approach at the moment, and you'd be amazed at what you can learn and how generous the QPs can be with advice and guidance.

Again, best of luck to you!

amatlis
04-04-2005, 14:48
Thanks guys! That's what I figured anyway. I'll just go where the military needs me so it probably won't make a difference what the AO is. I believe everything happens for a reason, so I'll just be happy to get a chance at trying out and hopefully be an asset to a team. I'll take your advice and visit with the different groups.

MinerDiver
04-05-2005, 11:48
You may also want to look into the unit in West Virginia. It is 3 hours from D.C. and a part of 19th GP.

amatlis
04-06-2005, 17:30
You may also want to look into the unit in West Virginia. It is 3 hours from D.C. and a part of 19th GP.

Thank you! I called them up and talked to recruiter Tom Edmonds as well as a Lt. Colonel (I forgot his name). I have to say I was very impressed. They were very diligent about calling me back. They were very informative without sounding pushy like a recruiter. They gave me information straight up without trying to paint a pretty picture. I would definately consider making the extra drive to join their group. Unfortunately they won't be drilling locally until May, so I won't be able to visit them in person this month. The Lt. Colonel said they were the first Guard unit to be sent to Afganistan and that he wasn't being biased when he claimed they have the best battalion in the Guard.

Anthony

abc_123
04-11-2005, 22:27
amantis , some unsolicited advice if i might. (ignore it if its of no use to you)

Remember, EVERYBODY has a bias.

Also, you have a long way to go and many gates to pass through before it even matters which battalion you belong to anyway (or it even matters to them). do not get too wrapped up thinking about the angles... by the time you get to the point where it really matters to you, things may change and that "best" battalion can turn into the "worst" by the time you get your tab (if, that is...). Anyway, for a long time in your career "good" or "bad" is determined to the greatest degree by how well you and your teammates work together and get along.

Regarding preparation...Do not overthink things, or fall into the trap of focusing on the external. Nobody can really prep you for selection and the Q but YOU. You know who succeeds? YOU. You know who is responsible if you fail? YOU. Look, if you really think about it, how much "training" or "preparation" can any of the companies provide you? One weekend a month. The other 28 days are yours. Simply DO THE BEST YOU CAN . (the definition of "Best" is totally up to...you guesed it... YOU!

You will do equally well (or poorly) no matter where you end up. So just find yourself a home and get on with it.

Oh, Good luck to you.

amatlis
04-12-2005, 12:08
abc_123,

I am always extremely grateful when experienced operators take time to give advice. Thank you!

In the civilian world, careers often depends on how well you research your highschool, college, graduate school, and finally employer. I don't mean to overthink the problem, but I guess these habits die hard. I will take your advice and focus on the immediate goal and trust myself to determine my own success regardless of the choices.

Thanks!

abc_123
04-12-2005, 19:44
no thanks necessary. i just see too many studs on too many boards looking for "THE PT program" , or "THE packing list" etc. etc. and fear that they are losing focus on who is really driving the train. IT's all YOU baby.

no, by all means do your research and ask your questons. THe internet is a great way to anonymously get info. Howevever, this is a thinking man's sport....remember that you are always being watched and evaluated. Always. And, you'll not necessarily know who exactly is doing the "evaluating". SO once you start interacting face to face with folks do that thinking before you open your mouth/do something that could be perceived to be something other than what you want. It's called understanding your operational environment. For example, you've posted the same questions here and on SOCNET. YOu may perceive it to be thorough research, however someone else may perceive it to be you discounting the advise/information that they gave at one location and going somewhere else to check behind it. Have someone get a "wrong" perception when they can really affect you and it can be very bad.... I'm talking about training and I'm talking about in real life when you and your 11 friends are by yourself at the tip of the american military spear interacting with people who speak a different language than you. (or with your team sergeant before that...LOL) Once you get into the pipeline remember that the world is a stage and you are one of the actors in a never-ending play.

who am i?... you don't really know. I don't know you. nor does anybody else really (unless you piss them off enough to do research on YOUR ass starting with your IP address... :) (not me, i don't know how) SO, keep researching here, and on SOCNET. no worries... but, filter all info/feedback with a critical eye.

You've mentioned chicago in your posts. A Co. in Chicago is a good bunch (and always in need of good 18E's). SFC Murphy (recruiter) is good people too. He is not SF but has a good working relationship with the Company... he won't misinform you.

My $.02 only.

Mods, i just realized i've come into your house and dished out advise in a couple of different threads. bad form w/o introducing myself. I will contact someone momentarily.

amatlis
04-12-2005, 20:56
For example, you've posted the same questions here and on SOCNET. YOu may perceive it to be thorough research, however someone else may perceive it to be you discounting the advise/information that they gave at one location and going somewhere else to check behind it.

I apologize to those who frequent both boards. As a civilian it did not occur to me that double posting to different boards would be considered disrespectful, and it was not meant to be. I appreciate the situational awareness training.