PDA

View Full Version : SWMS glove review

militarymoron
02-19-2004, 00:02
hi all,
i just posted an inital review of SWMS (southwest motorsports) gloves on my site:
http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/equipment.3.html#swms
username and password are both 'mm' to view fullsize pics.
cheers,
MM

Team Sergeant
02-19-2004, 08:19
Never heard of them myself, they look good. Given the option I wear gloves when shooting, especially in the heat, prevents slippage just as a golf glove does when playing golf.
As far as “maximum finger dexterity” is concerned we’re not going to realize that with gloves that are “made to last.” The life of a good golf glove can be measured in hours. They provide “maximum finger dexterity” at the cost of quick wear out. IMO until we move past “animal skins” as a glove component we’re not going to achieve maximum finger dexterity without sacrificing long term use.

Team Sergeant

Guy
02-19-2004, 09:04
http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/tsalomonboots.jpg

The Reaper
02-19-2004, 09:18
MM:

Excellent review, I'd like to see more of that here.

I am currently using the Hatch glove, need to go to the short cuffed version soon. Very comfortable and utilitarian, with several good features.

TR

Surgicalcric
02-19-2004, 13:21
Originally posted by Guy
http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/tsalomonboots.jpg

I dont know where you are, but most outdoor shops that carry extensive hiking, climbing, canoeing, and kayaking gear sell the Salomon brand.

I have a pair of Salomon Expert Mid's and can tell you they are the best hiking boot I have ever purchased.

HTH

EDITED because I cant spell for crap.

militarymoron
02-19-2004, 14:44
TR - thanks - i'll definitely give everyone the heads up on anything new i come across.
like any product, YMMV.
TS - i agree- most of the time, dexterity/finger sensitivity is inversely proportional to durability. but better quality leather can outlast cheaper, thicker leather, so that's a factor to take into account. i ride motorcycles (road bikes), and have a pair of kangaroo leather gloves. they are by far the most supple motorcycle gloves i've owned, and have held up though a couple of crashes. i've trashed a pair of cheaper but thicker gloves. the SWMS gloves feel like they are a pretty good balance of durability/dexterity. just need to put them through some wear and tear to see how they hold up.
guy - my wife bought me those solomon expert mids. found them on sale at a shoe store at the local mall for 30% off retail. the insoles didn't provide much arch support so i replaced them with the green superfeet. i use them for daily wear, and hill/stair training with a ruck. they took me through 4 days of the SHOT show and my feet were fine. knee were a bit achy, but then i'm getting old. also take a look at the merrell sawtooth boots as an alternative. they're built a bit more solidly than the salomons.
:D
cheers,
MM

Max_Tab
02-21-2004, 10:46
Been using these gloves hard for the past two months, and they are still going strong. The are great for shooting leaving ample dexterity, to transition, tac-load, or whatever else is needed, and they are padded on the knuckles for thumping people good. I'd recomend them for anyone.

The Reaper
02-23-2004, 08:47
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Never heard of them myself, they look good. Given the option I wear gloves when shooting, especially in the heat, prevents slippage just as a golf glove does when playing golf.
As far as ?maximum finger dexterity? is concerned we?re not going to realize that with gloves that are ?made to last.? The life of a good golf glove can be measured in hours. They provide ?maximum finger dexterity? at the cost of quick wear out. IMO until we move past ?animal skins? as a glove component we?re not going to achieve maximum finger dexterity without sacrificing long term use.

Team Sergeant

Top:

The good news for you is that they are in Phoenix.

You could conceivably drive over, try on some and talk with them, maybe give us a review, if you do.

Just a thought.

TR

Team Sergeant
02-24-2004, 09:29
Originally posted by The Reaper
Top:

The good news for you is that they are in Phoenix.

You could conceivably drive over, try on some and talk with them, maybe give us a review, if you do.

Just a thought.

TR

Roger,

Will effect linkup soonest.

TS

The Reaper
02-24-2004, 09:45
I smell a potential group buy coming if he goes there!

TR

Smokin Joe
02-24-2004, 13:37
TS,

If you want or need some help let me know and I will shoot down for a weekend or try and get a day off.

Team Sergeant
02-24-2004, 14:21
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
TS,

If you want or need some help let me know and I will shoot down for a weekend or try and get a day off.

Thanks Joe. I think I can handle them. It's a small outfit, run by women. I'll have CAS on standby should I run into any trouble.:D

TS

Smokin Joe
02-24-2004, 15:38
Well I can always hold a video camera for propper documentation. :D

militarymoron
02-24-2004, 23:46
TS,
if you see the owner, martina, tell her militarymoron said 'hi'.
cheers and thanks,
MM

NousDefionsDoc
02-24-2004, 23:52
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Thanks Joe. I think I can handle them. It's a small outfit, run by women. I'll have CAS on standby should I run into any trouble.:D

TS

Somebody's gonna pay for that one...LOL

Team Sergeant
02-25-2004, 10:50
MM, that’s a good copy, wilco.

NDD, Wouldn’t be the first time or the last (I’m sure) that I’ve placed myself in harms way.

TS

militarymoron
02-26-2004, 16:22
Originally posted by Surgicalcric
I dont know where you are, but most outdoor shops that carry extensive hiking, climbing, canoeing, and kayaking gear sell the Salomon brand.
I have a pair of Salomon Expert Mid's and can tell you they are the best hiking boot I have ever purchased.
HTH

SC - i just picked up a pair of merrell sawtooths a few days ago. IMHO, they're a step above the salomon expert mids. i've been using the salomons almost daily for the past few months and they've been very comfy, but when they soften up from use they might be a bit too spongy for more serious hiking, especially with a load as they don't support the feet as well as a stiffer boot. they're still an excellent lightweight trail hiker though, with more support than cross trainers i've tried.
the merrell sawtooth is a more ruggedly built boot overall, with a much stiffer midsole. instead of the mesh fabric of the salomons, the sawtooth uses nubuck leather and cordura. i worried about the mesh on the salomons not holding up to sharp rocks. it's also a slightly taller boot than the expert mids (which had a tendency to get sand in them). the sawtooth is still in the lightweight hiker category, but built more like the 'serious' hiking boots which are a lot stiffer. i'll put pics up and a blurb on my site once i use them a bit more. worth a look, IMHO, if you're looking at those type of boots.
cheers,
MM

Surgicalcric
02-26-2004, 16:45
I am not looking for anything else at the moment. I have not tried the Merrell Sawtooths yet, but took a gander at them a few days ago while buying a new pair of running shoes.

I have enjoyed my Salomons. The material is soft and after wearing Redwing boots at work all day I appreciate the softness. These Redwings kill my feet after 24 hours on shift. I do not do much above light trail work in the Expert Mid's and since I do not have much sand here I do not have the same perspective you do. If I am out in the woods I am either in jungles or leather leg boots here lately.

Thank you for the insight into the Merrells. I think I may have to give them a try.

Max_Tab
02-29-2004, 09:31
anyone know where you can purchase these gloves? I had a little run in with my gloves, and a Broco torch, and they got messed up. I sent my wife around to try and find another pair, and she was told, that they are made specially for the military in black, and you have to go through your supply to get them. Any help would be appreciated.

militarymoron
02-29-2004, 11:31
Originally posted by Max_Tab
anyone know where you can purchase these gloves? I had a little run in with my gloves, and a Broco torch, and they got messed up. I sent my wife around to try and find another pair, and she was told, that they are made specially for the military in black, and you have to go through your supply to get them. Any help would be appreciated.
contact jeri or martina at SWMS directly at (888) 493-3615
they're also available at tactical tailor (www.tacticaltailor.com).
HTH,
MM

The Reaper
07-31-2004, 08:21
So, TS, did you ever talk to them or get a pair of the SW Motorsports gloves?

TR

Team Sergeant
07-31-2004, 08:29
I have yet to make it out that way. I'll get out there one of these days...

Rotor Strike
07-31-2004, 08:52
I've worn the SWMS Friction Fighter gloves for the last two-three years now. Still on my second pair. They are fantastic. I wear them every time I fly in the -60. Highly recommended. They are making them in tan now as well.

August-O Twenty
08-01-2004, 22:15
Since we are on the topic of gloves I was wondering what features you look for in a good shooting glove..Any suggestions for one?

mm: Thanks for the review

militarymoron
08-06-2004, 22:19
Originally posted by August-O Twenty
Since we are on the topic of gloves I was wondering what features you look for in a good shooting glove..Any suggestions for one?
mm: Thanks for the review
thanks, august.
personally, for a shooting glove (i'm a civvie, so it's for range/general use), i look for:

dexterity - thin enough to feel all controls (like optics and light buttons etc), operate and load weapons and mags by touch.
basic protection from sharp edges - my dainty fingers always get chewed up somehow at the range, so gloves help save my skin
secure, no slip grip when sweaty etc
durability
no padding on the palms that add bulk
snug fit - better a bit tight than too loose - especially at the fingertips

another plug for SWMS gloves here, but i've found that the basic Heat Grip CT gloves meet all those requirements. they're less than $25 GSA price. they're made of synthetic leather which is thin enough to preserve dexterity but tough enough to protect my hands. they're in my review on my site and i really like them as a general use glove. the synthetic leather has a suede-like feel, and is surprisingly durable (i've been using a pair of impact CT gloves at the gym for the past 5 months for free weights and they're holding up better than my leather weight lifting gloves). they're also machine washable.
cheers,
MM

PSYOP Rob
01-29-2007, 16:40
Has anyone had any fast rope experience with the friction fighters ? Would you recommend them or is there another brand better suited for this?

x SF med
01-29-2007, 19:30
for shooting gloves - you guys might want to try the Gill sailing gloves (3/4 finger) that have kevlar and leather palms... Mine last at least one and a half sailing (racing) seasons, hard use, adverse conditions - about $30/pr navy blue and black - velcro closures on the inside of the wrist.

MtnGoat
02-03-2007, 11:28
Great gloves we use them while on deployement currently. The bad points I say just like Oakley's. Daily wear breaks them in fast and the fingers wear out fast along with that. Still lay on the hand and fingers fine. It's the tac-load and the fine finger dexterity need to turn small buttons on/off, etc.

If you getting them get two pairs for a deploy in the sand box. Summertime I would get three even.

MAX-TAB.. Call up SWMS they will pass a Gov't cost and all the info needed. Like everyone dealing with Gov't/military sales you will save.

The Reaper
02-03-2007, 12:58
Great gloves we use them while on deployement currently. The bad points I say just like Oakley's. Daily wear breaks them in fast and the fingers wear out fast along with that. Still lay on the hand and fingers fine. It's the tac-load and the fine finger dexterity need to turn small buttons on/off, etc.

If you getting them get two pairs for a deploy in the sand box. Summertime I would get three even.

MAX-TAB.. Call up SWMS they will pass a Gov't cost and all the info needed. Like everyone dealing with Gov't/military sales you will save.

Roger all.

As a sidebar, they are now part of Camelbak.

They are always bringing out new stuff as well. This spring, they should have a new model out well padded on the back of the fingers that will work well for Sims training.

You call and tell them you are in the military and deploying, they should hook you up with a discount.

Most of the gloves have NSNs and they are on the GSA, so if you had the money, your unit could buy them for you.

TR

Punisher_nbi45
08-04-2009, 02:13
Hello everybody,

Hope nobody minds if I'm reviving an old thread. Yeah, and I hope everybody is in good health.

I had the opportunity to test them out, and they were so great! We ran drills last August 2 (Sunday here in the Philippines), and I ran my cobbled-up M-4 with about 4 mags at full-auto. The gloves not only held up well, but they provided excellent heat protection. I know that if I had just fired it using my hands, I would definitely feel the heat, even through the Magpul MOE handguards (another great product, by the way).

Thanks to MM for recommending them, and I hope to get my pair of gloves sometime this month. What's hard is that really excellent gear is non-existent here, thus, we have to wait awhile to get them (helps if we have relatives over at CONUS).

Just my 2 cents worth....
:D

The Reaper
08-04-2009, 06:44
"Punisher":

You need to stop, read the rules and stickies, and comply before posting again.

TR