PDA

View Full Version : First Lady visits Afghanistan

Gypsy
03-29-2005, 10:52
Good on her!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050329/ap_on_go_pr_wh/laura_bush_afghanistan

Laura Bush Takes Quick Trip to Afghanistan

40 minutes ago White House - AP

By DEB RIECHMANN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - First lady Laura Bush set out Tuesday for a quick visit to Afghanistan, a war-torn country where American forces are still battling a stubborn Taliban-led insurgency.

Mrs. Bush has wanted to visit Afghanistan for a couple of years but delayed the journey, mostly because of security concerns. Her trip was kept secret until just before she left from Andrews Air Force Base near Washington.

"I have been so looking forward to going to Afghanistan," she told reporters on the tarmac of the military base in suburban Maryland. "When I really realized the plight of the women under the Taliban, I also found that American women really stand in solidarity with the women in Afghanistan."

"I'm delighted to be able to bring that message to Afghanistan," Mrs. Bush added. "This has been in the planning for quite some time. I didn't tell anyone."

She was to arrive in Kabul at midday Wednesday and spend about five hours on the ground, spending most of her time being briefed on educational initiatives for Afghan women. She also will meet with President Hamid Karzai and have dinner with U.S. forces at Bagram Air Base north of Kabul.

Asked what message she planned to bring to Karzai, she replied, "Just that America stands with the people of Afghanistan and how moved we are by their efforts, by the big huge vote that turned out earlier this year, how the American people are standing with the people of Afghanistan as they rebuild their country from years and years of war but also build a democracy for the first time in their history."

Mrs. Bush also said she planned to meet with Afghan women who have what she called micro-enterprises that make scarves and rugs.

A former teacher and librarian, Mrs. Bush has expressed concern about the limited educational opportunities for Afghan girls under the rule of the former Taliban regime.

"She wants to be able to see the advances made for women in Afghanistan and to underscore the United States' longterm commitment to the people of Afghanistan," said Susan Whitson, the first lady's press secretary.

The first lady was accompanied by Education Secretary Margaret Spellings. Her twin daughters, Barbara and Jenna, did not accompany her, Whitson said.

Spellings visited Afghanistan last year and was touched by the plight of women.

"They've been abused by the Taliban and sometimes their families, their husbands — their (Afghan people's) pervasiveness of drugs," Spellings said. "I mean, these gut-wrenching stories. And of course they adore their children, and they want to see about their children, they want a better life, a better future."

About 17,000 U.S. troops are in Afghanistan. More than 120 American soldiers have died since American forces invaded to oust the former Taliban government for harboring al-Qaida militants after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.

Whitson said the White House had worked with security officials to insure the first lady's safety.

"We want to make sure she is safe as well as the people she is meeting with and all the citizens of Afghanistan," she said. "We've taken all the precautions."

Mrs. Bush was traveling to Afghanistan as part of a delegation of the U.S.-Afghan Women's Council, a group formed in 2002 to promote private-public partnerships between U.S. and Afghan institutions and insure that Afghan women gain the skills and education deprived them under years of the Taliban.

In Kabul, Mrs.Bush was to visit the Women's Teacher Training Institute and hold a roundtable discussion with students and teachers. She also was to witness the award of a $17.7 million grant to American University in Kabul and $3.5 million to the International School.

Doc
03-29-2005, 17:17
Has anyone heard anything from the various women's groups in America about the roughly 20 million women getting liberated from this bond of oppression?

:munchin

Doc

CommoGeek
03-29-2005, 17:51
Has anyone heard anything from the various women's groups in America about the roughly 20 million women getting liberated from this bond of oppression?

Doc

Doc,
For that question the board needs a cricket smilie as in "crickets chirping" to go with munchin.

Gypsy
03-29-2005, 18:25

Doc

I think they're soooo busy...what with protesting the war and all.

Doc
03-29-2005, 19:01
Gypsy,

I am sorry if I hijacked your thread. I am glad that the First Lady choose to go there and show her support.

I did forget one woman's group in my initial post and they are the most important women's group in America with the most power. They are the women of our armed forces that are serving in both of those countries and in harm's way right along side the men.

I like that form of protest.

Doc

Gypsy
03-29-2005, 19:04
Doc...no apologies necessary. :) I couldn't agree more with your statement. While people are so busy protesting our actions with their thick headed "reasons" millions of people (including women) are free.

Here, here!

NousDefionsDoc
03-29-2005, 19:14
The First Lady is a lady. POTUS did good like us - he married up. ;)

CommoGeek
03-30-2005, 08:21
I'm glad she came but her security detail and the MPs they worked with..... suck.

Common sense did not deploy to the AOR.