PDA

View Full Version : Easter Dinner

brewmonkey
03-27-2005, 19:52
So did you go for the traditional Easter dinner or did you start your own traditions?

I for one have never been a "traditional" kind of person when it come to holiday meals, so I made stromboli for dinner.

lksteve
03-27-2005, 20:00
So did you go for the traditional Easter dinner or did you start your own traditions?

the wife and i went to a pub in Reno, near my soon-to-be new place of employment, she had some sort of chicken and vegetable wrap, i had french dip...i don't know believe those to be very traditional...she's having the rest of her lunch for Easter dinner and i'm having an omlet...if she makes one...if not, i'm having tuna fish and crackers...

Gypsy
03-27-2005, 20:52
Went to my cousin's, we had the traditional type of dinner. Ham, Turkey, sweet potatoes, I made a killer brocolli/mushroom casserole etc etc... But we also had stuffed artichokes...yum.

skipjack
03-27-2005, 22:25
Went out for Chinese since I went to the chow hall at the normal hours and found out that they had special hours...lol. Who knew?

-skipjack

Roguish Lawyer
03-27-2005, 22:28
We normally go to Catwoman's mother's, but she couldn't do it this year. So we had some friends over. Here's what was served:

Hors d'Oeuvres

Singha, Dos Equis Lager, Newcastle, Molson Canadian
Foxen Chardonnay

Asparagus and prosciutto in puff pastry
Shiitake mushrooms and parsley in puff pastry
Tropical chicken kabobs with peanut-plantain sauce
(these are skewers of one piece of chicken with two pieces of (alternating) pineapple, mango, papaya or avocado, grilled, with a spicy plantain peanut sauce that RULED)
Green doritos and salsa

Dinner
Grilled kabobs of various types (chicken, beef, scallops and bacon, assorted fish)
Rice Pilaf
Green salad

Dessert (made from scratch by Catwoman, who RULES :D (yes, she's here with me)

Bunny Cake
(chocalate cake shaped like a bunny with cool whip frosting, licorice whiskers and gum drop and jelly bean facial features -- yes, it looked just like the Easter Bunny and the kids loved it)
Banana Cream Pie
Coffee

CommoGeek
03-27-2005, 23:48
Ham jerky, turkey jerky, or pork jerky with various forms of 'taters, gravy of course, and peas and carrots or a salad with french dressing (the only kind available). The chocolate cake didn't taste like soap for once.

Could've been worse though.

Back home we normally cook a big ham since the family gets together. If it were just the three of us I think it would be another day, dinner-wise.

lrd
03-28-2005, 04:08
I made what my kids asked for...

Starter:

A flat of hardboiled eggs/deviled eggs

Main Course:

Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham (corned ham stuffed with kale, onion, spices)
Colcannon (made with my daughter)
Sweet Potato Crunch (made by my son, with direction from me :D )
Corn on the Cob
Cranberry salad
Rolls

Dessert:

More Sweet Potato Crunch
Pecan Pie

Huey14
03-28-2005, 05:05
Roast chicken and pork, with Kumara (similer to sweet potatoes) and potatoes, pumpkin, crackling from the pork.

Ice cream, chocolate and carrot cakes for desert.

Had the cousins around, good night had by all. Full credit to the opposition, it was a game of two halves.

Huey14
03-28-2005, 05:08
Colcannon

What's this? The name seems familier somehow.

lrd
03-28-2005, 05:37
What's this? The name seems familier somehow.
Cooked shredded cabbage, mixed with potatoes and leeks that have been cooked in milk or cream and mashed with a lot butter. It looks like mashed potatoes, but has an unbelievable taste. Low-cal and low-carb as well.

Roguish Lawyer
03-28-2005, 09:02
Sweet potato crunch recipe?

Kyobanim
03-28-2005, 09:16
Brownies and candy the kid didn't like

Huey14
03-28-2005, 10:16
Cooked shredded cabbage, mixed with potatoes and leeks that have been cooked in milk or cream and mashed with a lot butter. It looks like mashed potatoes, but has an unbelievable taste. Low-cal and low-carb as well.

Interesting.

lrd
03-28-2005, 10:47
Sweet potato crunch recipe?

Sweet Potato Crunch

Mix:
3 Cups smashed sweet potatoes
1 Cup sugar
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/2 Cup sweet milk
1/2 Cup melted butter

Pour in buttered dish and top with mixture of:
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup flour
1 Cup chopped pecans
1/3 Cup softened butter

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes (or until top is nice and crunchy).

Doubled, it will fit in a lasagne pan. There's rarely any left over.

Roguish Lawyer
03-28-2005, 13:01
Sweet Potato Crunch

Mix:
3 Cups smashed sweet potatoes
1 Cup sugar
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/2 Cup sweet milk
1/2 Cup melted butter

Pour in buttered dish and top with mixture of:
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup flour
1 Cup chopped pecans
1/3 Cup softened butter

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes (or until top is nice and crunchy).

Doubled, it will fit in a lasagne pan. There's rarely any left over.

Wow, healthy! LOL

Trip_Wire (RIP)
03-28-2005, 13:07

I for one have never been a "traditional" kind of person when it come to holiday meals, so I made stromboli for dinner.

Had dinner at my daughter's house. We had the traditional stuff, Ham and Turkey. A choice of mashed potatoes & gravy or scalloped potatoes. pickeled beats, hot rolls, Caesar salad or fruit salad. A choice of beer, white wine or red wine. For desserts we had Chocolate cake, Apple pie, or brownies.

Bonus: Ham & Eggs for breakfast today! :lifter

lrd
03-29-2005, 04:15
Wow, healthy! LOL
Now you know why we only make this on holidays.

It's also why I quit making a lot of desserts. We eat our dessert throughout the meal. ;)

echoes
03-20-2008, 08:05
Easter time again, and was curious if anyone wanted to share their meal plans?

Bought one of those Nueske's old fashioned bone-in hams, that comes skinless, shankless and fully-cooked. (Btwn 7-8 lbs.)

Will be attempting to heat it in the oven this year, and not dry it out. :lifter

Holly