PDA

View Full Version : Dlab

REMFlt
03-26-2005, 11:50
I'm trying to find out where I can take the DLAB, or who I should talk to about taking it. So far all I've seen is that its a requirement to apply for SF, and that certain OBCs require that you take it as part of in-processing (Ordnance OBC, unfortunately, does not). Can anybody point me in the right direction?

The Reaper
03-26-2005, 11:54
I'm trying to find out where I can take the DLAB, or who I should talk to about taking it. So far all I've seen is that its a requirement to apply for SF, and that certain OBCs require that you take it as part of in-processing (Ordnance OBC, unfortunately, does not). Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Your recruiter or MEPS.

TR

Air.177
03-26-2005, 13:14
Your recruiter or MEPS.

TR

I took it at MEPS

Radar Rider
03-26-2005, 13:16
Also, when you're active duty, any Army education center can administer the DLAB. They usually have certain days on which they do it.

Hooahman
03-27-2005, 00:43
I thought MEPS was the place to take it. Thats where I took it.

JB

The Reaper
03-27-2005, 08:39
Looks like you have the answer.

This question should have been easily answered without asking it here.

TR

REMFlt
04-13-2005, 12:03
thanks for all the replies.

sjtrack31
12-29-2010, 20:22
Hello everyone,

This thread seems to be be the appropriate place to ask this question...Even if it is rather dated.

I was wondering about retesting procedures for the DLAB. I am scheduled for SFAS class 4-11 and recently took the DLAB. I was unaware, until now, that regulation states I will not be able to retest unless six months have passed.

I did not receive the score I wanted and was wondering if there is any possible way around this so that I would be able to test again once at SFAS. From what I understand the minimum accepted score is 85. Thank you for any advice or guidance on this subject.

The Reaper
12-30-2010, 07:41
Hello everyone,

This thread seems to be be the appropriate place to ask this question...Even if it is rather dated.

I was wondering about retesting procedures for the DLAB. I am scheduled for SFAS class 4-11 and recently took the DLAB. I was unaware, until now, that regulation states I will not be able to retest unless six months have passed.

I did not receive the score I wanted and was wondering if there is any possible way around this so that I would be able to test again once at SFAS. From what I understand the minimum accepted score is 85. Thank you for any advice or guidance on this subject.

IIRC, there will be no language testing at SFAS.

You will be able to retest after six months.

Unless you get a waiver for the DLAB, you should not be eligible for SF training.

TR

Richard
12-30-2010, 07:49
I was wondering about retesting procedures for the DLAB.

Here's the link for playing 'Stump the Experts' - why not give them a try.

http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

Irishsquid
12-30-2010, 12:55
Here's the link for playing 'Stump the Experts' - why not give them a try.

http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

Oddly, I never took the DLAB. I took my ASVAB (99) and was arbitrarily assigned a DLAB score of 55. I've never been asked to take it, even when joining the NQP program at B/1/20th SFG(A)

Surgicalcric
12-30-2010, 13:14
…I've never been asked to take it, even when joining the NQP program at B/1/20th SFG(A).

The test isn't administered at the unit level, but at SFAS. Had you attended you would have taken the DLAB.

Crip

Irishsquid
12-30-2010, 13:34
The test isn't administered at the unit level, but at SFAS. Had you attended you would have taken the DLAB.

Crip

Simple enough. Thanks for the info.

lindy
12-30-2010, 14:12
Oddly, I never took the DLAB. I took my ASVAB (99) and was arbitrarily assigned a DLAB score of 55.

Huh? I'm not trackin'. :confused:

You could simply guess during the entire test and score better than a 55. I'm not sayin' nothing...I'm just sayin.

Irishsquid
12-30-2010, 18:49

You could simply guess during the entire test and score better than a 55. I'm not sayin' nothing...I'm just sayin.

That's my understanding as well. I just never took the test...but in looking over the paper they gave me at MEPS, which went with me to boot, it showed a DLAB score of 55. Then again, that may not be far off. Trying to learn even simple languages makes me crazy.

sjtrack31
12-31-2010, 01:01
IIRC, there will be no language testing at SFAS.

You will be able to retest after six months.

Unless you get a waiver for the DLAB, you should not be eligible for SF training.

TR

What were you referring to a waiver for? Are you saying that if I have already taken the DLAB I need a waiver to go to SFAS? Or that if I score below an 85 I will require one?

http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/SF_criteria.htm

The referenced website does not state any DLAB minimum for enlisted personnel.

Thanks again for any responses, advice or input.

silentreader
01-10-2011, 22:48

I just took the test and scored a 46. I had no idea it was even possible to get such a low score :confused:. Apparently, I'm not qualified to speak English, never mind Arabic or Farsi. Needless to say, it's become a huge priority of mine to retake the thing as soon as possible, preferably before I get out of basic. Not so much for language school or SFAS (though those are important) but as a matter of personal pride.

Anyways, there's a question here as well; where did you hear that? I've been trying to find information about how the DLAB is scored, bell curves for the test and the like and I've found absolutely nothing.

Razor
01-11-2011, 00:02
I just took the test and scored a 46.

Now your screen name makes a whole lot of sense.

silentreader
01-11-2011, 20:57
Now your screen name makes a whole lot of sense.

Well played sir.

I actually did just sit in the counselor's chair, looking at that score silently for a minute or two. I didn't believe it then and I still don't believe it but there's not much I can do but move on to the next target and hope I get a chance at redemption.

lindy
01-12-2011, 17:26
Apologies: didn't realize this was in the SFAS section. I'm just a support soldier and NOT a Special Forces soldiers. I just do language stuff and support the guys that are.

I just took the test and scored a 46. I had no idea it was even possible to get such a low score :confused:. Apparently, I'm not qualified to speak English, never mind Arabic or Farsi. Needless to say, it's become a huge priority of mine to retake the thing as soon as possible, preferably before I get out of basic. Not so much for language school or SFAS (though those are important) but as a matter of personal pride.

Anyways, there's a question here as well; where did you hear that? I've been trying to find information about how the DLAB is scored, bell curves for the test and the like and I've found absolutely nothing.

DLAB - Defense Language Aptitude Battery

Given limited time and brief samples of a "language", do you have the aptitude to convert the sample symbols & sounds into English.

Is there an correlation between a code-breaking and a linguist? Why are MOST linguists good in either math and/or music? (I'm personally an exception because I suck at both.)

Languages, math, music, and codes are all about patterns and predictions based on analysis of previous established patterns. This is exactly what the DLAB measures. Can a person improve their scores? Sure. I would suggest looking at word jumbles, crossword puzzles, etc as well as understand English grammar.

Example: the ending -u on a verb is always first person singular whereas -it, -et, or -at is third person singular.

Which sentence means "I am going to the store."

1) On peshkom khodit.
2) Tot magazin nakhodit'sya tam.
3) Ya idu v magazin. <------------- otvet (answer)
4) Ehti primeri ochen' glupoy!

(note: this isn't a DLAB example but actually simple Russian sentences.)

Irishsquid
01-13-2011, 16:07
Is there an correlation between a code-breaking and a linguist? Why are MOST linguists good in either math and/or music? (I'm personally an exception because I suck at both.)

That's funny. Even a language as simple as Spanish is giving me fits, but I'm quite skilled in both music and math.

Also, I'm going with "C." as the answer to your question.

silentreader
01-13-2011, 17:21
Apologies: didn't realize this was in the SFAS section. I'm just a support soldier and NOT a Special Forces soldiers. I just do language stuff and support the guys that are.

DLAB - Defense Language Aptitude Battery

Given limited time and brief samples of a "language", do you have the aptitude to convert the sample symbols & sounds into English.

Languages, math, music, and codes are all about patterns and predictions based on analysis of previous established patterns. This is exactly what the DLAB measures. Can a person improve their scores? Sure. I would suggest looking at word jumbles, crossword puzzles, etc as well as understand English grammar.

Example: the ending -u on a verb is always first person singular whereas -it, -et, or -at is third person singular.

Which sentence means "I am going to the store."

1) On peshkom khodit.
2) Tot magazin nakhodit'sya tam.
3) Ya idu v magazin. <------------- otvet (answer)
4) Ehti primeri ochen' glupoy!

(note: this isn't a DLAB example but actually simple Russian sentences.)

Spasibo balshoye. I didn't study going into the test because, like you said, it was an aptitude test. I was confident that passing it was not going to be a problem.

I guess my test score was so surprising because a) I really didn't realize it was possible to score that low. The lowest score I've ever seen posted was about an 80. b) The test (except for the first part)* didn't really seem all that difficult to me. c) It's the compete opposite of my usual performance on standardized tests, especially ones requiring pattern analysis. From the LSAT to the ASVAB, I've always done very well on them and d) I actually speak Levantine Arabic passably well. Languages have never been easy for me, but they haven't been impossibly hard either.

Ma shee hal. I'll work DLAB prep into my training cycle and try again once I'm a soldier instead of a "future soldier" (does anyone else find that term mildly euphemistic?) I don't want to hijack this thread and make it about my terrible DLAB score.

*I will say this, a written DLAB would be much easier than the audio-heavy format they use.

chance
11-16-2013, 11:48
Ok, I have searched high and low and keep coming up with two separate answers for how many time you can take the DLAB. I'm hearing you can go every 6 months or until you get a passing score, and the other one is you can only take it three times in your military career. Does anyone have the right answer?, or know where to find it? I have a soldier that has taken it three times already and we can't get him MOS Q till we can get him cleared.

Thanks in advance

I found the answer.
AR11-6
3–5. Approval for Defense Language Aptitude Battery reevaluation
a. Personnel may be reevaluated on the DLAB up to two times after a 6 month waiting period each time, if they have not achieved the minimum qualifying score on the initial test or first retest.
b. Requests for more than two retests. Requests for exceptions to the waiting period, and requests to retest after attaining the minimum score or higher, should be sent to Commander, AHRC (AHRC–PDE), 200 Stovall Street, Alexandria, VA 22332–0472.