PDA

View Full Version : Leatherman XTi Received & Feedback Comments

Achilles
12-07-2004, 09:51
Thanks so much for going through all the trouble to get these to us TS. Great looking engraving, too.

mumbleypeg
12-07-2004, 11:50
Team Sargent, Sir, If I haven't exressed gratitude I would like to now. Thank You for your work on this.

I would like to add, a Thank You to all the QP's for allowing me to participate in this forum and this buy.

Smokin Joe
12-09-2004, 01:53
Well I just opened the QP leatherman. All I can say is that this thing is freaking bad ass! TS and TR you Gentlemen are the HEAT for putting this together for us all.

If you all have never seen or fingered this type of Leatherman you are in for a real treat. I have a leatherman Wave and a 1st Gen Leatherman, and while I'm happy with them, neither one really impressed me. This one on the other hand, well I'm very impressed with everthing on this leatherman! Tim defiently out did himself with this one.

TS got any left?

If so I will take 2 more if I can.

The Reaper
12-09-2004, 08:52
Well I just opened the QP leatherman. All I can say is that this thing is freaking bad ass! TS and TR you Gentlemen are the HEAT for putting this together for us all.

You are quite welcome.

I thought that it would be a popular product. :D

Glad that you are not disappointed.

TR

Gypsy
12-09-2004, 12:45
Well I am very late to the party, but certain things have had to come first.

However all is taken care of so TS or TR, if there are any of these left I would love to purchase one for my very own self! Every girl should have a proper and functional multipurpose tool.

Stargazer
12-09-2004, 13:15
I agree, Gypsy! :)

TS, I received my package today. The anticipation while opening the box was great but the tool is even better!

Thank you to all!

vsvo
12-09-2004, 13:50
Just got my securely packaged box. This tool is awesome, and I agree with SJ, it blows my Wave away. The engraving is fantastic. Thank you TR, TS, Bill and Kyo.

Thanks for letting me hang around here and letting me participate in this buy. It was a first class operation all the way.

lrd
12-09-2004, 16:36
Every girl should have a proper and functional multipurpose tool.Exactly!

My package was waiting for me when I got home from work. I love it! This is the first full-sized multi-tool that hasn't hurt my hands to use.

A huge THANK YOU to all who helped arrange this.

Sacamuelas
12-09-2004, 18:27
Got mine today Team Sergeant. Opened up one and was VERY satisfied. Are all of them the same??? I don't want to open the other's as they are gifts.

Team Sergeant
12-09-2004, 18:36
Got mine today Team Sergeant. Opened up one and was VERY satisfied. Are all of them the same??? I don't want to open the other's as they are gifts.

I guess you didn't open the one with the coiled snake.... :munchin

Sacamuelas
12-09-2004, 18:43
I did get a nice set of fingerprints from you.
They look great and I appreciate the effort it took to make the quick turnaround on the shipping.

lrd
12-09-2004, 18:53
They look great and I appreciate the effort it took to make the quick turnaround on the shipping.
There was a big thumbprint on my knife blade. Was that your's TS?

Team Sergeant
12-09-2004, 18:55

I didn't repack yours, my girls did, didn't you notice the "extra sticky tape?" :munchin

Team Sergeant
12-09-2004, 18:58
There was a big thumbprint on my knife blade. Was that your's TS?

maybe, you may want to save that for future use..... say as a throw down? :) If the FBI come knocking at my door looking for the Leatherman serial killer I'll know who set me up! :)

Sacamuelas
12-09-2004, 18:58
LOL...

Yep, but my Harsey T2 made quick work of it! :lifter

THey look great TS.
For all that haven't gotten the magic package yet.

Gypsy
12-09-2004, 20:51
Exactly!

My package was waiting for me when I got home from work. I love it! This is the first full-sized multi-tool that hasn't hurt my hands to use.

Good to know L, can't wait to get mine!

lrd
12-10-2004, 04:51
A question about the care and feeding of my new friend:

My instructions tell me that "Leatherman multi-tools should be cleaned, dried and re-oiled periodically, especially after use in a damp environment." I live near the Chesapeake. What would you suggest for my PMI?

Shark Bait
12-10-2004, 07:44
Got mine yesterday. Nice quality and the ultimate tool.

The Reaper
12-10-2004, 07:47
A question about the care and feeding of my new friend:

My instructions tell me that "Leatherman multi-tools should be cleaned, dried and re-oiled periodically, especially after use in a damp environment." I live near the Chesapeake. What would you suggest for my PMI?

I am not a famous knife maker, but I would recommend the following.

If you get it in salt water, rinse in fresh water, blow it dry with compressed air, spray with WD-40 or another water displacing agent, and wipe dry.

Under normal use, unless you see rust or corrosion, wipe the blades off (carefully) periodically with a silicone cloth and put a drop of light oil on the hinges when they get sticky.

The knives are designed with security fasteners so that they cannot be disassembled without special tools, so any real tear down is impossible for the consumer.

HTH and a real knife expert will be along soon to put out the pro opinion.

TR

Team Sergeant
12-10-2004, 14:15
Ladies and Gents:

The Leathermen's are all sold!

In the next ten days I should have the remaining checks and will post how we've done. Again, all profit from the sale of these tools are going to charity.

TS

BTW, those of you that have yet to mail your checks, you will have a very long wait as I will be on a trip next week and will not return till the 20th of Dec.
That is all, carry on.

QRQ 30
12-10-2004, 14:26
Got mine today! Now I'm jealouse since I got one for each of my sons and not for me. Maybe I can talk them into a Yarborough knife. :p

Gypsy
12-10-2004, 14:38
QRQ30, I'd be happy to give my "on hold" order of one to you.

Please Sir, if you desire to do so then just PM the Team Sergeant and he can advise me. I have the envelope and check here but won't mail it until you decide. It is far more appropriate for a QP to have "first dibs" so to speak.

lrd
12-10-2004, 15:51
I am not a famous knife maker, but I would recommend the following.

If you get it in salt water, rinse in fresh water, blow it dry with compressed air, spray with WD-40 or another water displacing agent, and wipe dry.

Under normal use, unless you see rust or corrosion, wipe the blades off (carefully) periodically with a silicone cloth and put a drop of light oil on the hinges when they get sticky.

The knives are designed with security fasteners so that they cannot be disassembled without special tools, so any real tear down is impossible for the consumer.

HTH and a real knife expert will be along soon to put out the pro opinion.

TRThank you, TR. I figure I'll be using it on the boat, so it'll get it's share of salt water, fish guts, squid, etc. I need to get me a little can of compressed air so I can blow the guts at the kids.

Gypsy, you're a sweetheart.

The Reaper
12-10-2004, 16:43
Since we are at ENDEX of the Group Buy (pending any TS may still have available), Let's put comments about the Leatherman Charge XTi buy in here along with any constructive feedback.

We will pass feedback to Leatherman or someone from the company may come by and read them.

I would like to say thanks to Bill Harsey for the contact with Tim, Kyobanim for the time he spent on artwork, and the Team Sergeant for fronting the money and getting these out to all of the different buyers in a very timely manner.

Thanks also to Doc T for not bumping off the TS when he explained to her what he wanted to do with the money. Thanks a ton, Doc, and to all of the other people with a hand in this project.

We hope you enjoy it, and will let you know at completion how much money was raised for the scholarship fund.

Merry Christmas to all!!

TR

Sacamuelas
12-10-2004, 17:46
Got mine today! Now I'm jealouse since I got one for each of my sons and not for me. Maybe I can talk them into a Yarborough knife. :p

Terry-

PM or confirm in this thread or elsewhere that you really want one, and I will be glad to ship you one of the three I got. Really, its no problem as I still have one for myself and one for my Dad.

The 3rd is for a brother and quite honestly, he would not appreciate it as much as you would... I can always buy him something else so let me know. Really... as said above, QP's and especially Qp mods should get priority.

Email, PM, or call me if you want it. You know where my contact info is posted. :cool:

Hijack over....

ghuinness
12-10-2004, 18:51
My leathermans arrived. :D :D

Thanks so much TS, TR and Mr Harsey for arranging this group buy and allowing me to participate in the offer. This was a brilliant idea. I can't stop looking at the custom etching.

Just started playing with it. This is an incredible tool, I will definitely be using it a lot.

Thanks

eggroll
12-10-2004, 21:45
An Excellent tool..

not too crazy about the carrier :lifter
alas I have found a 2nd sheath project :D

Thanks again for setting this up, and I look forward to the next group buy

The Reaper
12-10-2004, 22:16
An Excellent tool..

not too crazy about the carrier :lifter
alas I have found a 2nd sheath project :D

Thanks again for setting this up, and I look forward to the next group buy

If you look at the sheath very carefully, in addition to the tool pouch, there are two tiny elastic pockets (one on each side) to hold a Maglite Solitaire. You could fit a short pencil, or a striking rod, or a section of sharpening rod in the other side.

How about a way to carry the XTi (w/accessories), a Surefire L1/E2e, and a lighter in a compact package?

TR

Eagle5US
12-10-2004, 22:45
WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!

I got mine!!! And they are outstanding!

THANK YOU TS/ Bill!!!

Eagle

Smokin Joe
12-10-2004, 23:29
If you look at the sheath very carefully, in addition to the tool pouch, there are two tiny elastic pockets (one on each side) to hold a Maglite Solitaire. You could fit a short pencil, or a striking rod, or a section of sharpening rod in the other side.

How about a way to carry the XTi (w/accessories), a Surefire L1/E2e, and a lighter in a compact package?

TR

Make it MOLLE/ PALS/ MALICE compatable and I'll take 1 in OD. :munchin

Sweetbriar
12-11-2004, 14:50
Ooooooooooohhhhhhh

I had planned to keep it in my tools drawer in the kitchen, but now I can't take the chance of it walking away (so to speak), so I've hidden it in my lingerie drawer underneath my priceless gold embroidered prayer shawl. Somehow, it works for me.

Thank you, gentlemen. Thank you very much.

Goggles Pizano
12-11-2004, 16:15
Just received mine yesterday! Many thanks to you both TR and TS, that was an outstanding job!

The Reaper
12-11-2004, 16:25
Ooooooooooohhhhhhh

I learned to make that exact same sound while looking at shower, wedding, and baby gifts. :D

As in, "Look dear, another butter dish for our back-up emergency china!"

"Ooooooooooohhhhhhh!"

Of course, that was not what I was really thinking. ;)

TR

Kyobanim
12-11-2004, 16:41
Excellent piece of equipment! Today it cut up boxes, took apart and reassembled a dresser, and installed a surround sound system in my office.

Very cool, thanks to all

smokfire
12-11-2004, 17:00
Apparently everyone in the USPS in Wisconsin is on vacation this week. Pricks. :mad:

Team Sergeant
12-11-2004, 17:29
so I've hidden it in my lingerie drawer underneath my priceless gold embroidered prayer shawl.

Great, now all the Leatherman tool thieves now also know! :rolleyes:

Glad you like it, alot.....

TS

(do you think we could get a wav file of the "Ooooooooooohhhhhhh" ;) )

NousDefionsDoc
12-11-2004, 17:54
Ooooohhh! (http://cool.berber.co.il/CoolStuff/Other%20Cool%20Stuff/WAV/Misc/OOH.WAV)

QRQ 30
12-11-2004, 18:12
Thanks for the offers folks; but I'm holding out for my family to get me a Yarborough knife for my birthday. I'm getting out the paperwork Monday. ;)

Kyobanim
12-11-2004, 18:41
Ooooohhh! (http://cool.berber.co.il/CoolStuff/Other%20Cool%20Stuff/WAV/Misc/OOH.WAV)

Something tells me that's not the oooooohhh you hear at a shower when you get another butter dish.

The Reaper
12-11-2004, 18:52
Something tells me that's not the oooooohhh you hear at a shower when you get another butter dish.

Correct.

TR

Guy
12-11-2004, 18:56
Used mine already also!

Why do wives volunteer husbands out for things....that has nothing to do with him? I just got the thing and I'm putting it to work.

I see a deployment coming up in the near future. :o

FILO
12-11-2004, 20:09
Thanks TS & TR for all of your efforts on this one. Now I can give CINC House the Wave; which will keep her from dragging me out of my office every 30 seconds. Used the XTi today to prune the bottom branches of the Christmas Tree; went through real easy. Leatherman makes a great product!!!

BamBam
12-12-2004, 16:20
Got mine, man what a tool, glad you guys put this deal together. Big thanks to TS and TR for engineering this deal.

Sacamuelas
12-12-2004, 21:23
Maybe RL should prune some of these posts into a " Already proven real world uses for the Professional Soldier's version Leatherman XTI " thread.

I have trimmed christmas tree branches, installed a new depth finder on the fishing boat (completely with no other tools beside a drill), and cut lines, leaders, and hooks on assorted lures. Kept it on my belt all weekend, but I didn't use it to clean the fish though. :D

GREAT TOOL.

Only problem I have run into so far with it is the fact that the handles tend to breakdown instead of opening the pliar portion of the tool sometimes. A real pain in the arse when you are trying to tighten nuts/bolts in confined spaces and can't really open the pliars back up with the opposing hand. BUt... let's don't start a complaint thread as this thing is really nice.

TS, Bill H., Kyo, and all who contributed by purchasing all of them.. thanks for making this happen. I look forward to more of these in the future.
-Saca

mumbleypeg
12-12-2004, 22:17
The Leatherman is to quote a phrase, The Heat. I'm a big fan. I installed a few doorknobs, switchplates and some lighting today.

Thanks again.

18C4V
12-12-2004, 23:52
Got mine yesterday. I'm totally happy with them and I'll be using it on my belt and getting rid of my issued Gerber. Thanks to all who made it happen!!!!

smokfire
12-14-2004, 06:38
Mine finally came yesterday! I'll wear it proudly. Thanks again to Mr. Harsey, TR, TS and Kyo. :lifter

Achilles
12-19-2004, 12:32
I've been fingerf***'n this tool for like 3 or 4 hours, LOL! This is an amazing piece of equipment. Is the sheath's belt loop wide enough to accomadate an LBE belt (I had to turn mine back in to the ROTC Dept before I recieved the Leatherman)?

Hats off to everyone that made this happen, especially TS!!

Ghostrider
12-21-2004, 17:13
Just got mine today (thanks TS....that was FAST!....offer stands on the beer :) ). Thank you also to Mr. Harsey, Kyobanim, and TR for the effort getting this done.

Happy holidays to everyone! :)

NousDefionsDoc
12-21-2004, 17:19
Just got mine today (thanks TS....that was FAST!....offer stands on the beer :) ). Thank you also to Mr. Harsey, Kyobanim, and TR for the effort getting this done.

Happy holidays to everyone! :)

Quick! Run out and dump it in the track grease bucket! GO! :)

Ghostrider
12-21-2004, 17:49
Alas, in the world of COBs there are no tracked vehicles....just weird 4x4s with whoopie lights (therefore no need for buckets of grease), civilian clothing, relaxed grooming standards, and MILES RPGs. "They" even have us walk :eek: Besides, it really is such a nice looking item that is would be a travesty to drop it in something as brutish as track grease! ;) :p :D

hotntot
12-24-2004, 00:14
Second try at a thank you for making christmas shopping easier.They were a hit by the recepiants.Thanks again to all.

Gypsy
12-25-2004, 12:39
Merry Christmas to meeeeee! Thanks TS, my package was waiting for me when I got home today. WOW, this is a beautiful tool. Feels good in my hand as well. Thanks to ALL who made this possible.

Team Sergeant
12-25-2004, 12:44
All are welcome.

TS

CPTAUSRET
01-25-2005, 15:03
Silly question, I know.

Does anyone have an extra one???

Terry

12B4S
01-25-2005, 22:16
Ditto

Sacamuelas
02-05-2005, 13:10
Oh yeah... an added bonus. The toolkit that comes with the XTI includes a allen wrench attachment that fits the grip screws on my .45. THe XTI makes a PERFECT range bag item. If they only included a ring sized for the guide rod takedown.... :D

brownapple
02-06-2005, 00:17
Is that a Pizza box?

The Reaper
02-06-2005, 08:53
Is that a Pizza box?

Doesn't look greasy enough to have held a good pie.

TR

Sacamuelas
02-06-2005, 12:39
No, it's actually an opened up lid from a box that had some clothes or something in them. I confiscated the empty boxes for use as "cabinet protectors" while I cleaned my pistol. Easier than newspaper, etc to clean up when I'm done.
I imagine hopps #9 wouldn't do much good for kitchen countertops.
I present the following pic as exhibit A.

(note- I know that Hopps is old school... I actually like the smell and it works fine... I use breakfree CLP to lube and wipe down afterwards)

Roguish Lawyer
02-11-2005, 21:18
I find myself using it all the time. Great tool.

NousDefionsDoc
02-15-2005, 16:28
I am now in possession of mine. And I am proud. Thanks TS, Reaper, Bill and everyone else involved. I will enjoy it for many years to come.

Team Sergeant
02-18-2005, 12:33
Ladies and Gents,

It is with great pleasure that I post the following letter/donation for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

(I mailed the check and letter today.)

Great job one and all.

TS

To Whom It May Concern:

On behalf of Professionalsoldiers.com and in collaboration with Mr. Tim Leatherman (Leatherman Tools), please accept this donation in the amount of $900 for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

While Mr. Tim Leatherman requires no introduction, ProfessionalSoldiers.com is unknown to most outside our community. ProfessionalSoldiers.com is a web site owned and operated by current and retired Special Forces soldiers. Our site is dedicated to the Special Forces soldier and those interested in the Special Forces way of life.

Over the past four months, our membership has participated in fund raising activity with the sole purpose of raising capital for a donation to be made to your organization. Leatherman Tools played an important support role in this fundraiser and without their help this could not have come to fruition in such a successful manner. We trust that the SOWF will utilize these funds to continue helping the loved ones of the Special Forces community that have made the ultimate sacrifice while serving our beloved country.

De Oppresso Liber,
JD
Administrator-ProfessionalSoldiers.com

vsvo
02-18-2005, 13:45
TS,

Nice letter. Congrats to you and everyone involved for a successful fundraiser!

Gypsy
02-18-2005, 17:51
Excellent, $900.00 to a most worthy cause! Thanks for sharing the letter TS.

Smokin Joe
02-18-2005, 23:30
TS,

I was thinking for our next fund raiser AR-15's made by MSTN (aka WES)?

Or maybe flashlights by Surefire?

Either would obivously have the PS.com logo engraved.

What do you think?

lrd
02-19-2005, 11:36
TS: Excellent letter.

Or maybe flashlights by Surefire?
You can never have too many flashlights.

The Reaper
02-19-2005, 11:39
TS: Excellent letter.

You can never have too many flashlights.

Two is one and one is none.

TR

Air.177
02-19-2005, 14:00
Two is one and one is none.

TR
ONLY 2?!? :D

The Reaper
02-19-2005, 15:52
ONLY 2?!? :D

Did I say I only needed one?

You DO have to save room for ammo, you know.

TR

smokfire
02-19-2005, 17:21
Outstanding Team Sergeant! Thanks again to all involved for your dedication and hard work.

smokfire

Dan
02-28-2005, 17:00
Job well done all:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/images/sowf.jpg

Ladies and Gents, QP's and Professional Soldiers Members,

Above is a link to the Letter We received from SOWF thanking us and Tim Leatherman for the donation!

Thank you one and all.

Team Sergeant

Thanks Dan for posting the letter.

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2005, 17:45
Besides the cool engraving and the SOWF donation - this is a really great tool. I like it much better than my Wave. Great pick there Boss. Just what I needed.

Ghostrider
02-28-2005, 20:01
That's fantastic. I'm very glad we were able to help out even in a small way. AND it is a great tool.

Stargazer
03-07-2005, 08:43
Thank you for posting the letter from the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. As much as I enjoy my leatherman, participating in such a worthy cause means much more to me.

Again, thanks to all.

NousDefionsDoc
03-24-2005, 22:00
I had the local sewing shop make a modified two mag carrier for my Leatherman and Surefire light. They even put in the little elastic pouch for the screwdiver thingy. And it has Molle so I can wear it on belt or vest. Very spiffy if I do say so myself. :lifter

The Reaper
03-24-2005, 22:26
I had the local sewing shop make a modified two mag carrier for my Leatherman and Surefire light. They even put in the little elastic pouch for the screwdiver thingy. And it has Molle so I can wear it on belt or vest. Very spiffy if I do say so myself. :lifter

THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!

TR

NousDefionsDoc
03-25-2005, 09:21
Well, my pics are worthless as well. I'll try again later.

ghuinness
05-30-2005, 17:21
Well, my pics are worthless as well. I'll try again later.

Is it later yet? :).
I was hoping to see what you designed.

12B4S
05-31-2005, 02:17
:munchin