PDA

View Full Version : Kettle Bells, Dragondoor

REMFlt
03-24-2005, 07:46
Recently I've been incorporating kettlebell work into my off day PT, using DBs as I don't own a KB. So far I've found its a pretty good workout, challenging both my cardiovascular and strength endurance. Anybody else tried KBs? I know theres a PJ, Nathanael Morrison, who swears by them, and I guess they've become popular among SWAT teams and the Secret Service.

NousDefionsDoc
03-24-2005, 08:58
Hi! Welcome aboard and thanks ever so much for filling out your profile. Your interests are...interesting. Word of advice, if you really want to be a SF officer, lay off the bullriding until you get on a Team. You will, not might, get hurt. After you get a Team, the boys will love having a CO that does something very few do.

There's an Introduction thread in the Base Camp Forum. Be a sweety and head on over and say hi. Not everyone reads this forum and it's become protocol.

Kettlebells appear to be the "in" thing, along with BW training again. I am working on getting some down here to try out. Shipping is a beyotch but I have friends. There are a couple of posts on here, if you do a little search. I find them interesting as an alternative to the Big Head Home Gym for deployments. I have conversed with Nate via email. Very knowledgeable guy and truly a professional. Not to mention hard as woodpecker lips from the film clips I have seen.

Enjoy the boards.

Sir.

The Reaper
03-24-2005, 08:59
Recently I've been incorporating kettlebell work into my off day PT, using DBs as I don't own a KB. So far I've found its a pretty good workout, challenging both my cardiovascular and strength endurance. Anybody else tried KBs? I know theres a PJ, Nathanael Morrison, who swears by them, and I guess they've become popular among SWAT teams and the Secret Service.

Hey, REMFlt!

You see that button marked "Search" in the upper right hand corner? Move your mouse over it, click on it, and type "kettle bell" or "kettlebell" into the window. The submit your seach and read all of the threads that pop up on the links.

See, was that hard?

Then you might look around the site and read all of the stickies and intros we have placed at the top of the forums.

Feel free to look around and get the feel of the place before you jump in too deep.

Good luck. And listen to NDD's advice, he knows things.

TR

REMFlt
03-26-2005, 13:31
got it , thanks.

Smokin Joe
03-26-2005, 18:56
Hi! Welcome aboard and thanks ever so much for filling out your profile. Your interests are...interesting. Word of advice, if you really want to be a SF officer, lay off the bullriding until you get on a Team. You will, not might, get hurt. After you get a Team, the boys will love having a CO that does something very few do.

There's an Introduction thread in the Base Camp Forum. Be a sweety and head on over and say hi. Not everyone reads this forum and it's become protocol.

Kettlebells appear to be the "in" thing, along with BW training again. I am working on getting some down here to try out. Shipping is a beyotch but I have friends. There are a couple of posts on here, if you do a little search. I find them interesting as an alternative to the Big Head Home Gym for deployments. I have conversed with Nate via email. Very knowledgeable guy and truly a professional. Not to mention hard as woodpecker lips from the film clips I have seen.

Enjoy the boards.

Sir.

Hey who possesed NDD's PC? :)

booker
04-04-2005, 18:47
I ordered one 55 lb kettlebell from New York Barbells (cheaper than dragondoor and IMHO better quality) and Mike Mahler's book of exercises (reference Mike Mahler here: http://www.mikemahler.com). He designs a program that will definitely take your PT up a notch (no advertising plug was purposely done here..) It's amazing after all those years of traditional lifting, yet a funny looking ball with a handle can blow me away. PM if you want to take a look at part of his book. Definitely worth thinking about if you don't want to haul an Olympic set all over the place.

J

REMFlt
04-05-2005, 15:18
Mike Mahler has written some really good articles for MMA (mixed martial arts) training. Really seems to know what he's doing, especially considering he's a vegan. Currently I have the book by Pavel, Russian Kettlebell Challenge, which has some interesting ideas for group PT. Yeah, it's easy to make workouts that are brutal, and cover some of the areas the daily dozen doesn't. Right now I'm just using dumbbells, but plan to buy a kettlebell now that I'm no longer a poor college student.

swim82
04-23-2005, 07:43
I've been training with KBs for almost two years, and I would have to say that nothing compares to a KB. I recently started another one of Pavel's programs: Power To The People. The simple lifting and pressing workout he outlines in PTTP is a great supplement to KB, bodyweight, and endurance activities.

You can find all the info here: http://www.holtreman.net/gg/power-to-the-people/

I hope the information is useful to some PTers out there.

-swim

alphamale
06-17-2005, 20:42
Spent several hours in a new gym yesterday trying out lots of cool machines. Feel like :lifter today.

Was thinking about what to put in the new CTC (Commando Training Center) i.e., my living room, besides my Spar Pro Man whose head I bash in as I walk by.

Finally ordered 2 of these Kettlebells.

Got the adjustable kind so that I could start out in weakling mode.

With the Mahler "Aggressive Strength" DVD total $225 w/ shipping

FrontSight

12B4S
06-18-2005, 03:09
Alright FS!! The screech kitty is back...... Does this mean you are in "priss" mode? :confused:

Question:
Are ya gonna store the Kettle Bells next to the dusty 6 OZ handweights under your weight bench? ;)

NousDefionsDoc
06-18-2005, 06:00
LOL@"screetch kitty"

FS, we will need pics of you working them. Face blacked out of course.

alphamale
06-18-2005, 13:53
Alright FS!! The screech kitty is back...... Does this mean you are in "priss" mode? :confused:That Mr. Harsey claims I never get *out* of priss mode.

Besides, I have a date tonight! (No, that's not what I was doing for the entire 4 hours at the gym) So how can I be in priss mode !?! :lifter

The screech kitty is a reference to Razor's snipe that I don't know the difference between a Lion and a Tiger, and that I should just refer to them all as Large Feline Cats or some such...

Question: Are ya gonna store the Kettle Bells next to the dusty 6 OZ handweights under your weight bench? ;)12B4S sweetums, see pic 1. *must* I always drag out my Intimidating Whip Picture when posting here? ::impatient foot tapping::

LOL@"screetch kitty" FS, we will need pics of you working them. Face blacked out of course.Yea, I'll do the low-to-high cross-over motion and the momentum will send me baaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Or, a fully-loaded kettle bell connecting with Spar Pro Man's head :lifter

FrontSight

Razor
06-18-2005, 19:55
The screech kitty is a reference to Razor's snipe that I don't know the difference between a Lion and a Tiger, and that I should just refer to them all as Large Feline Cats or some such...

Big Predatory Cat; I see you listened carefully when I told you this. :rolleyes:

lksteve
06-18-2005, 20:01
The screech kitty is a reference to Razor's snipe that I don't know the difference between a Lion and a Tiger, and that I should just refer to them all as Large Feline Cats or some such...feline cats...redundant...large feline cats...very redundant...

alphamale
06-19-2005, 21:51
Tiger, Lion, Cat Feline, Predatory, whateverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :fswhip:

I'm really looking forward to getting these! :lifter

8 weeks after working out with the "Agressive Strength" video, I'll be able to say, "Yea, back when I was a wuss, I couldn't [ do that... ]."

And, I'm sure I"ll be able to ::intimidating girl spit:: tuh farther. :D

Minor confession: What finally made me move on getting this (after desiring a pair for over a year) had to do with something that I couldn't do when I was changing my tire outside my gym, and had to ask one of the XY's holding the flashlights to do. :mad:

But I did everything else but [that] and hold the flashlight myself!!!

FrontSight

sf11b_p
06-20-2005, 07:24
If you want to try it out but not invest in the kettlebells right away try this.
http://www.kettlebell.tv/homemadekb.html

12B4S
06-20-2005, 15:04
Minor confession: What finally made me move on getting this (after desiring a pair for over a year) had to do with something that I couldn't do when I was changing my tire outside my gym, and had to ask one of the XY's holding the flashlights to do. :mad:

But I did everything else but [that] and hold the flashlight myself!!!

FrontSight

What might [that] be FS? :munchin

see pic 1. *must* I always drag out my Intimidating Whip Picture when posting here? ::impatient foot tapping::FrontSight

Yeah, that's the unused weight storage area I was thinking of. Now if you were to take the twist ties off the whip and...... well never mind.

Due to the fact my computer is jazzed up, I'm in a library. Can't read posts by FS in these places, one is supposed to be quiet. :D

alphamale
06-21-2005, 00:45
What might [that] be FS? :munchin Now 12B, I was advised to take admission of [that] to my grave. It has to do with the heaviest part of changing a tire. My excuse is that I did the change *after* I worked out!!!

Due to the fact my computer is jazzed up, I'm in a library. Can't read posts by FS in these places, one is supposed to be quiet. :DHow awful! Here I was thinkin' that your GF had put you on the short leash program (SLP) !! :)

FrontSight

alphamale
06-21-2005, 03:40
Have I mentioned I'm all excited about getting these ?? :)

I can't wait I can't wait I can't wait :lifter !!!

12B, hurry up and get your computer fixed!

Or get a new one! They are astonishingly cheap these days!

FrontSight

12B4S
06-22-2005, 23:13
Now 12B, I was advised to take admission of [that] to my grave. It has to do with the heaviest part of changing a tire. My excuse is that I did the change *after* I worked out!!!FrontSight

Ah. FS, you are supposed to use the jack to lift the vehicle. ;)

How awful! Here I was thinkin' that your GF had put you on the short leash program (SLP) !! :)

FrontSight

Ya know, she has tried that for 18 years. You'd think she would have learned it's useless by now. But then, it's always a good thing to let her 'think' she's the boss at times. :D

Got this computer operational again. Turned out it was mostly the wireless gizmo and/or the cable company that fed it.

What's the ETA on your bells?

Roguish Lawyer
06-23-2005, 18:32
Not that I'm Mr. PT or anything, but I don't understand why anyone would get excited about free weights with a different shape. Weight is weight, or am I missing something? :munchin

NousDefionsDoc
06-23-2005, 18:53
Yes

alphamale
06-23-2005, 20:02
YesYa just gotta love the pithiness quotient in NDD's posts :D

FrontSight

jatx
06-23-2005, 20:14
Not that I'm Mr. PT or anything, but I don't understand why anyone would get excited about free weights with a different shape. Weight is weight, or am I missing something? :munchin

Buy some and see. I will never do isolation lifts again.

alphamale
06-23-2005, 21:16
What's the ETA on your bells?They are in!!

The person who gets my mail, my new (adult) Shipping Associate, not my old (15 year old) Shipping Associate who is my future Systems Analyst-in-training, called and said,

"What the h*ll is in this box that weighs 100 pounds !?! You're going to need help getting this up your stairs!"

Holy smokes, I hope I can lift them off the ground. Glad they are adjustable :eek:

FrontSight

Bill Harsey
06-23-2005, 21:58
They are in!!

The person who gets my mail, my new (adult) Shipping Associate, not my old (15 year old) Shipping Associate who is my future Systems Analyst-in-training, called and said,

"What the h*ll is in this box that weighs 100 pounds !?! You're going to need help getting this up your stairs!"

Holy smokes, I hope I can lift them off the ground. Glad they are adjustable :eek:

FrontSight
Now I'm starting to get a real appreciation for how well Razor handles himself in situations like this.

alphamale
06-24-2005, 02:34
Now I'm starting to get a real appreciation for how well Razor handles himself in situations like this.::squint::

::head-tilts-sideways-at-screen::

::re-read post::

::try to think like a XY::

::re-read post::

::lonnnnnnnnnng sigh::

:: perplexed, she logs off... ::

(after making notes about painful retributions to be extracted depending on what is being referenced by the one from the Pacific Northwest)

FrontSight

Bill Harsey
06-24-2005, 08:38
OK, I'll start.
A 100 lb. box around here means one might have to use two hands.

At another location, it could mean hire a moving crew.

alphamale
06-24-2005, 08:53
::sleepy glare::

Bill Harsey
06-24-2005, 08:57
OK, ok,
Ms. Frontsight,
Can we get a picture of your new workout stuff?

I mean after you've had some coffee and are all bright and bubbly.

The Reaper
06-24-2005, 10:13
Judging from the weights she currently uses, unless the 100 lbs. is mostly packaging, that should be enough weight for her and several clones.

Hey, maybe they should have asked her to put a tape measure around her bicep, and shipped her the appropriate amount of weights.

Besides, a 37 cent stamp on the envelope would have been much cheaper than whatever the shipping for that kettlebell package cost.

TR

Bill Harsey
06-24-2005, 10:34
Judging from the weights she currently uses, unless the 100 lbs. is mostly packaging, that should be enough weight for her and several clones.

Hey, maybe they should have asked her to put a tape measure around her bicep, and shipped her the appropriate amount of weights.

Besides, a 37 cent stamp on the envelope would have been much cheaper than whatever the shipping for that kettlebell package cost.

TR
There goes bright and bubbly...

NousDefionsDoc
06-26-2005, 18:52
Here's a different brand - much cheaper.
http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4277_A_rnd_E_7

And here's a good comparison review
http://www.geocities.com/dirtyley/ddvsetf.htm

alphamale
06-26-2005, 20:31
OK, ok, Ms. Frontsight, Can we get a picture of your new workout stuff? I haven't seen my Shipping Associate yet this weekend! Maybe tomorrow.

Besides, a 37 cent stamp on the envelope would have been much cheaper than whatever the shipping for that kettlebell package cost.TR that's not very nice :mad:

And NDD you brat !!! Nowwwwww you post that link!! :fswhip: :fswhip:

My arms will probably be so worn out I won't be able to type!!
(don't say it Mr. Harsey! :fswhip: )

FrontSight

Roguish Lawyer
06-27-2005, 08:08
My arms will probably be so worn out I won't be able to type!!

You know, you could have gotten these for free had you mentioned that sooner.

alphamale
06-27-2005, 12:44
You know, you could have gotten these for free had you mentioned that sooner.That's OK RL, 6 months of therapy and I'll be over with that remark ::sniff::

FrontSight

lksteve
06-27-2005, 14:04
That's OK RL, 6 months of therapy and I'll be over with that remark did you tear something..........?

alphamale
07-02-2005, 06:13
OK. Should have accepted the Shipping Associate's offer to take the Kettlebells up the stairs for me. Took each one up the stairs one.stair.at.a.time.

This is The Morning After my first serious workout with them and all I can say is those things are tortuous. I feel like I can't move my upper arms away from my body. My a*s even hurts! (I'm serious d*mnit :mad: ) Explain that! (no, don't! :p)

And IRONICALLY enough, a couple hours ago while doing some CAD I caught and old Saved By the Bell on TV and heard a female call a dorky and uncoordinated XY "Screech". :mad:

THANKS A LOT TR YOU BRAT !!! YOU ARE VERY MEAN !!

FrontSight

The Reaper
07-02-2005, 08:10
This is The Morning After my first serious workout with them and all I can say is those things are tortuous. I feel like I can't move my upper arms away from my body. My a*s even hurts! (I'm serious d*mnit :mad: ) Explain that! (no, don't! :p)

THANKS A LOT TR YOU BRAT !!! YOU ARE VERY MEAN !!

FrontSight

I wouldn't think of it.

You are very welcome. Thanks!

TR

NousDefionsDoc
07-02-2005, 12:11
My a*s even hurts!
That's when you know you're doing good PT. Even better is when your hair hurts.

sf11b_p
09-14-2005, 12:15
So after reading the PT - Bodyweight Only Training thread I was curious. How's it going with those kettlebells FS... get them off the floor yet?

sf11b_p
09-21-2005, 19:07
Your welcome very much.

Just wanted to know you were knocking the dust off them now and then. I think it was pointed out already but free weights use more muscle fiber than weight machines, stabilizer muscles,. The Kettlebell excercises look like they'd fire up even more than typical free weights.

Yeah, probably not a good idea to get too happy swinging those around, unless you were planning new walls.

Razor
09-23-2005, 11:37
...and they make me feel bad-a*s...

I thought you said they make you feel sore-a*s.

NousDefionsDoc
01-12-2006, 18:27
I ordered one 55 lb kettlebell from New York Barbells (cheaper than dragondoor and IMHO better quality) and Mike Mahler's book of exercises (reference Mike Mahler here: http://www.mikemahler.com). He designs a program that will definitely take your PT up a notch (no advertising plug was purposely done here..) It's amazing after all those years of traditional lifting, yet a funny looking ball with a handle can blow me away. PM if you want to take a look at part of his book. Definitely worth thinking about if you don't want to haul an Olympic set all over the place.

J
Verdict?

TKS
06-01-2006, 16:05
I read through the different posts concerning kettlebells and I would offer this. Some time ago, I sustained an injury that left me pretty immobile for a bit. I did some research on some rehab type PT and came across the kettlebells at dragondoor.com and so I ordered one. I ended up better and learned all over again and changed my thoughts as I now have functional combat fitness, rather than the beach muscles.
These things had me up and running quick, now I won't go without....ever again. Some of the SF guys here keep pounding on leadership and PT and combat focus and they're all 100% spot on!! It's amazing to read some of the stuff here in this site. Tons of hard earned knowledge.
130 degrees, no shade, been up for 40 hours, non-stop operations, 70 lbs. of kit, weapons, urban ops.....on and on.
The KB's have given me an edge and yeah, they cost a bit. Question - "Is your training combat focused, can you run, swim and climb with your kit on?"

Just an idea...Good luck. Let me know your thoughts! tks

casey
06-02-2006, 11:09
¿Dónde está mi amigo poco meridional?

NousDefionsDoc
06-02-2006, 13:48
¿Dónde está mi amigo poco meridional?
Is that yours?

casey
06-02-2006, 19:01
Is that yours?

One of the smaller ones (45lb) I keep in the shop. New place opened up nearby with a plethora of like items - all pelican case retrofitted.

Arwr
07-28-2008, 01:44
Kettle Bells are a definite move in the right direction. I have a set of kettle bell handles from IronMind, as well as, a set similar to DragonDoor's. The regular non-adjustable kettle bells work much better. I also have a Brown Bear Pack Weight which is a packable kettle bell. The Pack Weight is an excellent kettle bell with the flexibility needed for deployments. The other advantage to the Pack Weight is that the shipping cost is drastically minimised. It is also something a rigger should be able to easily rig up.

Brown Bear Pack Weight: http://www.packweight.com/index.htm

Arwr

Gavin
04-10-2009, 21:00
Not trying to advertise or anything, I don't work for these guys, but if you go to www.AlpineTactical.com They give 10% off kettlebell orders.

The kettlebells are literally the best on the market. Made of steel instead of iron and they're all the same size (meaning you don't have to adjust form when you change the weight of the kettlebell). The bells they're discounting can been viewed at www.performbetter.com under "competition kettlebells".

*Another note on kettlebell training is that the "Hard Style" taught by dragon door is pretty much a beginner "style"(I use the term "style" very loosely as there is no style in kettlebell training, its either the right way or the wrong way).

The techniques taught in kettlebell sport are more applicable to military fitness. By this statement, I mean that in kettlebell sport they teach strength-endurance as a staple. Staying as relaxed and calm as possible to put forth maximum strength output for long periods of time.
An example of why dragon door and the "high tension" taught is not the best way to train for military application is this: When you ruck, would you squeeze your glutes and tighten your leg muscles while walking? Of course not, you would wear yourself out in no time flat. However; if you stay relaxed you can endure much longer... THIS is the principle of kettlebell sport type of training idealology, and its very effective for endurance and gaining massive amounts of strength.

I was stuck at 5-7 reps with a 24kg kettlebell for the longest time (about a year), until I started applying kettlebell sport techniques. Just from doing kettlebell jerks for 1 minute sets, my presses increased to 15 in just 3 weeks!
Cool thing is that jerks actually help with pushup numbers for the PT test as well.

So basically my rant is about training to be task oriented.