PDA

View Full Version : Question????

tomtom
02-17-2004, 01:45
Just got ahold of some stuff called Quik Clot wondering if of you guys have heard of it and if so what you think about it. Quick run down is that it is made to stop bleeding but causing clotting effect quickly.

Thanks,
Tomtom

Psywar1-0
02-17-2004, 06:27
Given that probably 98% of the medics on this board are either assigned to a SOCOM unit, or attempting to get selected for assignment, you not going to get much info. USSOCOM has banned its use by all units assigned, attached, OPCON ect to USSOCOM.

I have no idea how this stuff is able to be sold to civillians. You can do more damage with it than good if you dont know exactly how to use it. That being said, I do carry it in my aid bag, but its not the first thing I grab when I have a bleeder.

18C/GS 0602
02-17-2004, 13:56
QuikClot is an inorganic compound that when applied to a wound will create an exothermic reaction (a reaction that gives off heat) that helps absorb liquid and concentrates the coagulation factors, which helps stop bleeding. Because of the exothermic reaction heat injury to the applied tissue is a possible side affect. From what I can remember from a lecture by Dr. Hagmann, who has done a lot of research with QuikClot in pig models, he thought there was good promise in it as a hemostatic dressing. However more studies had to be preformed.

Here is the web site of the company that makes it-
http://www.z-medica.com/

18C/GS 0602
02-17-2004, 14:05
Here is a good article. I can't post the whole thing due to the size, but if anyone want to see the whole thing I can PM them or post the article in two parts.

Alam HB. Uy GB. Miller D. Koustova E. Hancock T. Inocencio R. Anderson D. Llorente O. Rhee P. Comparative analysis of hemostatic agents in a swine model of lethal groin injury. [Journal Article] Journal of Trauma-Injury Infection & Critical Care. 54(6):1077-82, 2003 Jun.

Abstract
Background : Techniques for better hemorrhage control after injury could change outcome. A large-animal model of lethal, uncontrolled hemorrhage was developed to test whether the use of various hemostatic agents would decrease bleeding and improve early survival.

Methods : A complex groin injury was created in 30 Yorkshire swine (42–55 kg) to produce uncontrolled hemorrhage. This injury included semitransection of the proximal thigh and complete division of the femoral artery and vein. After 5 minutes, the animals were randomized to (n = 6 animals per group) no dressing (ND), standard dressing (SD), SD and Rapid Deployment Hemostat (RDH) bandage, SD and QuikClot hemostatic agent (QC), or SD and TraumaDEX (TDEX). Limited volume 0.9% saline (1,000 mL over 30 minutes) resuscitation was started 30 minutes after injury. We measured blood loss, early mortality (180 minutes), and physiologic markers of hemorrhagic shock (e.g., cardiac output, blood pressure, hemoglobin, metabolic acidosis).

Results : Application of wound dressing decreased mortality in all groups compared with the ND group (83% mortality). However, this difference was significant (p < 0.05) only for the QuikClot hemostatic agent (0% mortality). Before the application of dressing (first 5 minutes), there were no differences in blood loss between the groups. After application of dressings, the QC group had the lowest blood loss (4.4 ± 1.4 mL/kg).

Conclusion : Of the hemostatic agents tested, QuikClot improved survival and decreased bleeding in a swine model of lethal vascular and soft tissue injury.

tomtom
02-17-2004, 23:55
Guys thanks for all the information about Quik Clot. Really cleared up some questions I had about it.

Thanks,
tomtom