PDA

View Full Version : Language incentive pay...

D9
03-19-2005, 17:11
I know that with my unit I had some input on which language (from those pertinent to our AOR) I was going to get slotted for. I personally chose Arabic, but a lot of other ARNG guys I've talked to are heavily biased towards learning one of the easier languages (French, for instance).

Not trying to change anyone's mind, but just so you make a more informed decision - they announced to our class that effective immediately the incentive pay for "shortage" languages was being increased to $500/month for a 2/2 or higher, and $250/month for a 1+/1+. Not too bad.

Just thought I'd put that out there in case it would influence anyone's decision on which language to ask for.

The Reaper
03-19-2005, 17:12
You can get a 2/2 in MS Arabic from CLS, you will be one language learnin' mofo.

TR

D9
03-19-2005, 17:21
You can get a 2/2 in MS Arabic from CLS, you will be one language learnin' mofo.

TR

True Sir, but according to our instructor 10-15% of the class at 2/2 has been the average. Don't know if that's accurate, or just a SWAG on his part.

Roguish Lawyer
03-19-2005, 17:35
Would someone mind posting a brief explanation of the grading system for those of us who have no need to know? :)

Leozinho
03-19-2005, 17:54
Would someone mind posting a brief explanation of the grading system for those of us who have no need to know? :)

Here you go.

http://www.dliflc.edu/daa/dli_catalog/skill.htm

(Click on the links at the bottom of the page to see a description of the grading system for listening, speaking, reading and writing.) A '2' is considered "limited working proficiency." We have to get a 1 in listening and in reading to pass the course. Those that don't make it have to take 150 hours of retraining before taking the test again.

Hugh
03-19-2005, 18:38
Not trying to change anyone's mind, but just so you make a more informed decision - they announced to our class that effective immediately the incentive pay for "shortage" languages was being increased to $500/month for a 2/2 or higher, and $250/month for a 1+/1+. Not too bad.

Anyone seen any official message on this? This is a first heard for me.

GackMan
03-19-2005, 18:50
not trying to hi-jack, but if anyone can confirm this, would that be $500 FLPP for all languages? Or just 18 series?

D9
03-19-2005, 20:02
Anyone seen any official message on this? This is a first heard for me.

They did announce it at our language school in-brief. It's not out of the "rumor mill."

Hugh
03-20-2005, 00:46
Hey, Didn't mean to sound like I was questioning your veracity, I was just looking to put money in my wallet. I know the first thing the finance guys are going to tell me- Where's the message?

D9
03-20-2005, 02:43
No big deal, just clarifying that it came from the cadre.

Para
03-20-2005, 07:43
FLPP was increased by Congress under the last budget approvals from $300 a month to $1000 a month. Last I heard DOD had yet to determine allocation. Remember $300 a month is for dual proficiency. Sorry, I can't find a link, I have seen it in a few Army Times articles.

QRQ 30
03-20-2005, 08:38
Not to be too old fashioned but since language training is now mandatory for Special Forces Qualification, it would seem that the award of the 18 CMF MOS and the beret would be incentive enough.

My incentive was a personal desire to learn a language. I achieved 2/2 in German, Czech and Latino. Didn't get a penny but my desire to go was incentive enough. :(

I might add that I was sent to DLIWC to learn German, enroute to Germany. We went to the Berlitz School of Languages to learn Czech because of our Team AO, and I went to DLIEC to learn Latino enroute to Panama. :lifter

Petelink
03-24-2005, 09:17
What are the official "shortage languages"?

12B4S
03-25-2005, 01:58
Not to be too old fashioned but since language training is now mandatory for Special Forces Qualification, it would seem that the award of the 18 CMF MOS and the beret would be incentive enough.

My incentive was a personal desire to learn a language. I achieved 2/2 in German, Czech and Latino. Didn't get a penny but my desire to go was incentive enough. :(

I might add that I was sent to DLIWC to learn German, enroute to Germany. We went to the Berlitz School of Languages to learn Czech because of our Team AO, and I went to DLIEC to learn Latino enroute to Panama. :lifter

My language training was a bit different than Terry's.
Took the reel to reel test at the recruiters (as John Plaster mentioned in his book, Secret Commandos , a portion of which was a 'foreign language test'. A non-existant, made up language to test if you were capable of learning another language.

After graduating SFTG and was assigned to Toelz, my Team was sent to Obberamergau for three months of language school. The class was taught by a woman who's husband had worked in a Messerschmit factory during the war, buried in a mountain in the area.
In High School, I took Spanish for three years. Did ok, B type grades, but there is nothing more effective than learning the language of another country that you live or are stationed in!
As I remember, there are/were 16 different dialects in Germany. Basically it breaks down to two. Hoch Deutsch and Bayerisch (Bavarian). All Bavarians are taught, know and speak Hoch Deutsch. Just as I was taught in language school. However they are a proud people and consider the northern Germans( Prussians). Prussians only speak "proper German" (Hoch Deutsch). This was the fun part. The Bavarians would only respond to the Prussians in Bayerish, even though they understood every word they said. Thing was, the Prussians couldn't understand what the Bavarians were saying. (It was THAT different) I used to find myself translating for the Northern Germans there on holiday. I was better at it after veile Biere :D

Back to Terry's post. It was ALL about a personal desire to learn the language!!!!
Who remembers the book.... The Ugly American?

As far as the pay thing and the 2/2 stuff...... 3 weeks ago I was talking to a 19 year old. He was born here, his family from Iraq. Came to the U.S. 20 years ago and are Christian. A couple months ago he told me his Dad was going to Iraq.
He will be paid $170,000.00 a year for translator services. Not in the field, but as translating documents, tapes or any transmissions they pick up. BTW, talked to that kid a couple nights ago, his dad is over there after having been vetted.

Archangel
03-25-2005, 11:39
Good info D9.

18C4V
03-25-2005, 14:51
FLPP was increased by Congress under the last budget approvals from $300 a month to $1000 a month. Last I heard DOD had yet to determine allocation. Remember $300 a month is for dual proficiency. Sorry, I can't find a link, I have seen it in a few Army Times articles.

I'll believe it when I see the milper message on HRC.

D9
08-31-2005, 18:16
A late update.

Went and asked the cadre for references or paper on this the other day. After a little him-haw, they said that the actual change in incentive pay to $500 for a 2/2 was actually a proposal, which, of course they said, was as good as approved.

LOL, I am now taking the approach that 18C4V indicates - I will believe it when I see it on milpers.