PDA

View Full Version : Spring Arrives

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-19-2005, 09:30
Went out on the back porch last night to listen to the competing symphonies between owls and coyotes and was greeting by the aroma of maple sap being boiled down into syrup. Snow cover is dropping, this is the first time this winter that I have been able to see the top of the pickets on the fence in my backyard. Even the deer herd is begining to break up. Normally I would see between 12 and 15 in a bunch.

EarthPig2/75
03-19-2005, 09:42
I've already had to mow twice (will have to again this weekend) and we have flowers blooming everywhere. I'll trade you!
RLTW
EP

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-19-2005, 10:00
I've already had to mow twice (will have to again this weekend) and we have flowers blooming everywhere. I'll trade you!
RLTW
EP

That's okay, not bitching just looking forward to a new season. Have had the roof shoveled twice this winter. I probably only mow about 8 times during the "growing season". Vermont has about 8 months of good skiing, 3 months of poor sleding and one month of mud.

Jack Moroney

Bill Harsey
03-19-2005, 10:01
Great pics Jack
Those deer are so close that you could go out and pet 'em.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-19-2005, 10:03
Great pics Jack
Those deer are so close that you could go out and pet 'em.

I was thinking about training to play hockey, they are standing on a eight foot deep frozen pond. They are tame, though. They will stand down by the garage and look up at the house if there is no more corn left for them

EarthPig2/75
03-19-2005, 10:06
That's okay, not bitching just looking forward to a new season. Have had the roof shoveled twice this winter. I probably only mow about 8 times during the "growing season". Vermont has about 8 months of good skiing, 3 months of poor sleding and one month of mud.

Jack Moroney
I wasn't suggesting that you were bitching....I was! ;) I was born in the mountains and have never gotten used to winters in Tejas without snow.

My wife and I are travelling up to your neck-of-the-woods (Maine) in May for our 20th anniversary. We've never been up that way, but I have to say I cannot wait. From the pics I've seen, upper New England is incredibly beautiful.

RLTW
EP

alphamale
03-19-2005, 10:12
Sir Jack, Feed them some apples!

FrontSight

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-19-2005, 10:13
I
My wife and I are travelling up to your neck-of-the-woods (Maine) in May for our 20th anniversary. We've never been up that way, but I have to say I cannot wait. From the pics I've seen, upper New England is incredibly beautiful.

RLTW
EP

Maine is nice country, however May is blackfly season-nasty critters. Went to college there and learned many interesting things such as when a man and a woman gets divorced up there they are still brother and sister. :)

Jack Moroney

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-19-2005, 10:17

FrontSight

They love apples and we do that from time to time, however we also have a bunch of no necked, snot nosed college kids that live down the hill from us and the scent of fermenting apples is akin to some of that rot gut they drink and I don't want to attract them. :D

Jack Moroney

EarthPig2/75
03-19-2005, 10:24
Maine is nice country, however May is blackfly season-nasty critters.
I guess we'll be indoors a lot. :D I'm feeling mighty lucky.
RLTW
EP

Sacamuelas
03-19-2005, 14:49
Great pics. I spend a LOT of time just watching them while in a tree stand. I don't shoot that often unless I need the meat or they have a good many pointy things on their noggin'. I am just as happy these days to watch them play and look for other critters to come into view.

ABSOLUTELY Beautiful country though.... :cool:

Doc
03-19-2005, 15:05
Jack,

My Aunt and Uncle took in a male fawn after it's mom got ran over by a car. That was 8 years ago. His name is Prancer and he had a 5x5 rack this fall. Prancer grew up with the dogs they have and acts like one too. During hunting season he is kept in the barn because he will walk up to anyone.

He loves apples and visits the neighbors regularly when he's allowed to. He always comes home before dark.

I like hunting deer too Sacamuelas.

Doc

Bill Harsey
03-19-2005, 18:19

FrontSight
Jack, Ms. FrontSight would have them running around with painted red hooves and doing math problems by now if she was up there.

The Reaper
03-19-2005, 18:27
Doc:

Great story!

Even my kids loved it.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-20-2005, 06:43
Doc,
I would have loved to have seen that with the dogs and the deer. Unfortunately in the great state of Vermont you are not "allowed" to have game animals as pets. They even arrested a guy last year because he had the audacity to have a dead timber rattler in his car that he found dead on the road and was taking home to skin. Timber rattler are rare up here and are considered endangered species. I have to agree with the endangered part, I'll kill any I find on my property.

Jack Moroney-drawing on my Irish heritage from St. Patrick about snakes

Razor
03-21-2005, 17:22

EP, where in ME are you heading?

Doc
03-21-2005, 19:15
Doc,
I would have loved to have seen that with the dogs and the deer. Unfortunately in the great state of Vermont you are not "allowed" to have game animals as pets. They even arrested a guy last year because he had the audacity to have a dead timber rattler in his car that he found dead on the road and was taking home to skin. Timber rattler are rare up here and are considered endangered species. I have to agree with the endangered part, I'll kill any I find on my property.

Jack Moroney-drawing on my Irish heritage from St. Patrick about snakes

Jack,

We're going to see Prancer next weekend. I will try and get the digital camera going and post some pic's of my favorite deer. I am sure he has lost last year's rack, but maybe I can post a picture of the sheds. They have kept all of them while he has been growing up. He must weigh better than 300 lbs now.

:D

Doc

Bill Harsey
03-22-2005, 09:00
Jack,

We're going to see Prancer next weekend. I will try and get the digital camera going and post some pic's of my favorite deer. I am sure he has lost last year's rack, but maybe I can post a picture of the sheds. They have kept all of them while he has been growing up. He must weigh better than 300 lbs now.

:D

Doc
Doc, That would be great to see if you can get the pic.

Bill Harsey
03-24-2005, 19:20
Since spring is arriving here in Oregon, something seems to have come along with it.

On my end of the migration trail that Col. Jack Moroney gets credit for discovering, I saw something today that I must make a note of. None of this is a joke, I really saw it, before beer time.

Just minutes ago I saw in the small toyota pickup behind me something driving that had fully 90% of it's face covered in tribal style tattoos. I'm talking 90% DARK on white skin, with just a couple narrow stripes of that white skin remained exposed vertically from the hairline to it's jawline.

It had a goatee down the front so I'll guess it could be male.
The nose ring was big enough I could see that in the rearview mirror.

Jack, Is this something that got loose from your woods?

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-25-2005, 06:08
It had a goatee down the front so I'll guess it could be male.
The nose ring was big enough I could see that in the rearview mirror.

Jack, Is this something that got loose from your woods?

Could be, but up here we still have a lot of snow on the ground and the sex of the person will not be known until the parkas come off. What passes for nose rings right now would be some underage beer swilling snot nosed unwashed floppy trowser wearing headphone adorned pseudo high school intellectual who stupidly stashed his beer in a snow bank and wound up getting the flip top pull ring frozen to his nose. But, I could be wrong.

Jack Moroney-not a medic, but I do know things

Bill Harsey
03-25-2005, 09:49
I wasn't close enough to see if that was a flip top or not.

I really should have gotten out at the stop sign and walked back to the pickup he was driving just to get a better look. If I see it again, I'll ask if I can take a picture for science.

Didn't ol' Audubon shoot all his samples for science so they'd quit wiggling and he could get a better painting of them?

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-25-2005, 10:38
Didn't ol' Audubon shoot all his samples for science so they'd quit wiggling and he could get a better painting of them?

Yep. I once asked the local police chief, after trying to find him over a series of days because the door to the police station was locked, if I could shoot some idiots that had a penchant for destroying my mail box so I didn't have to run after them. Guess I should have been more scientific and told them that I would stuff and mount them in the bed of their pickmeup truck. You know, sort of like the guy who gets his first deer and rides around town with it drapped over his bumper.

Jack Moroney-this good neighbor crap just goes so far

Gypsy
03-25-2005, 11:05
Ahh yes it is a lovely spring day in Chicago today. :boohoo Freezing temps, snow and gloomy skies. I wish I was heading out for San Diego tomorrow instead of 14 days and a wake up.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-25-2005, 12:01
Sorry to hear Chicago's weather is poor. My son lives in Downers Grove so I guess the annual Easter Egg hunt will be inside. Of course, if the Easter Bunny shows up at my house, assuming my neighbor doesn't shoot him or the coyotes don't catch him, he will be still wearing white and leaving the eggs wrapped around a pocket warmer.

Jack Moroney

Gypsy
03-25-2005, 12:13
No rabbit stew, Sir? ;)

Your son is very close to my office, I presentl work in Naperville. Perhaps by Sunday things will clear up a bit, the weather calls for partly cloudy and 43. Then again...they say it is 48 today but sure doesn't feel like that at all.

Cincinnatus
03-30-2005, 18:47
A buddy of mine tells of being in a pub in London, sometime in the '80s when punk was quite the thing. In comes this guy dressed in torn jeans and a black leather jacket, with a green, orange, and purple striped mohawk, nose ring, tongue stud and half a dozen other piercings.

He sees my buddy giving him the once over and asks, "Whassa mattah, then? Din' you effer do anyfing foowish when you wuz young?"

"Well, actually, yeah," my buddy replied. "I'm not proud of it, you understand, but when I was your age I got kinda drunk and snuck into the zoo after closing. And, well, there's no polite way to put this, but... well, I fucked a peacock. I was just thinking I could be your father!"

Gypsy
03-30-2005, 18:56
LMAO! Well C...that little ditty beats my ole first real day of spring big t-storm with hail today.