PDA

View Full Version : St. Paddy's Day observation

Razor
03-17-2005, 16:49
When the kids got dressed for school today, it wasn't in the normal school uniform, but in jeans and green shirts. I ask my wife why they aren't in uniforms today, and she says the school declared today a 'relaxed dress' day, so long as the students wore something green. At first I wondered why a parochial school would observe St. Patrick's Day, when I was hit by a blinding flash of the obvious--St. Patrick's Day honors...get ready for this...Saint Patrick, a Catholic saint. After smacking myself squarely in the forehead for being so dumb, I stopped to wonder that if St. Patrick's Day is, in essence, a religious (and Christian, to boot) holiday, why don't we see more protests by people over the parades, school celebrations and other governmental observances that are so typical of Christmas, Easter and the like? I've yet to hear someone complain about 'separation of church and state' in regards to St. Paddy's Day. I guess perhaps that beer is the great unifier? :)

Roguish Lawyer
03-17-2005, 16:56
Good point, Razor.

Maybe a good Catholic (or bad Catholic, maybe FS? :D) on the board can explain what exactly the holiday is supposed to be from a religious standpoint. I'm not aware of any religious stuff you're supposed to do on the holiday. That's not the case with Christmas and Easter.

Airbornelawyer
03-17-2005, 17:18
When the kids got dressed for school today, it wasn't in the normal school uniform, but in jeans and green shirts. I ask my wife why they aren't in uniforms today, and she says the school declared today a 'relaxed dress' day, so long as the students wore something green. At first I wondered why a parochial school would observe St. Patrick's Day, when I was hit by a blinding flash of the obvious--St. Patrick's Day honors...get ready for this...Saint Patrick, a Catholic saint. After smacking myself squarely in the forehead for being so dumb, I stopped to wonder that if St. Patrick's Day is, in essence, a religous (and Christian, to boot) holiday, why don't we see more protests by people over the parades, school celebrations and other governmental observances that are so typical of Christmas, Easter and the like? I've yet to hear someone complain about 'separation of church and state' in regards to St. Paddy's Day. I guess perhaps that beer is the great unifier? :)
St. Patrick's Day is not a Federal or State holiday. There is no separation issue.

BTW, neither is Easter (which falls on a Sunday anyway). Christmas is the only religious holiday also a Federal holiday (though atheists would argue that Thanksgiving is too).

In Boston and Suffolk County, Massachusetts, however, March 17 conveniently is a legal holiday. It is not St. Paddy's Day, but Evacuation Day, which celebrates the withdrawal of British troops from Boston in 1776.

ktek01
03-17-2005, 17:36
After smacking myself squarely in the forehead for being so dumb, I stopped to wonder that if St. Patrick's Day is, in essence, a religous (and Christian, to boot) holiday, why don't we see more protests by people over the parades, school celebrations and other governmental observances that are so typical of Christmas, Easter and the like? I've yet to hear someone complain about 'separation of church and state' in regards to St. Paddy's Day. I guess perhaps that beer is the great unifier? :)

Exactly, its an excuse to get drunk and act like an ass, just as long as you wear something green while doing so. :rolleyes:

Gypsy
03-17-2005, 22:05
Good point, Razor.

Maybe a good Catholic (or bad Catholic, maybe FS? :D) on the board can explain what exactly the holiday is supposed to be from a religious standpoint. I'm not aware of any religious stuff you're supposed to do on the holiday. That's not the case with Christmas and Easter.

Recovering Catholic here :D (that makes me a bad Catholic in some circles...)

March 17th is the anniversary of the death of St. Patrick, the Irish have been observing this day as a religious holiday for hundreds (thousands?) of years.

Did you know that until the 1970's it was mandated by Irish law that the pubs in Ireland were to remain closed on this day?

Gypsy
03-17-2005, 22:13
Fun trivia question....NO GOOGLING for the answer.

Anyone have an idea where the 1st St. Patrick's day parade was held? And by whom?

lksteve
03-17-2005, 22:24
After smacking myself squarely in the forehead for being so dumb...I guess perhaps that beer is the great unifier?

beer works wonders...but in terms of being dumb...i usually wear green and orange of St. Paddy's Day, in so much as my Irish forebearers were of the Protestant type...given how today went at work, i am now of the belief that there is some major karmic BS going on...

next year, i'm staying in bed.... :boohoo

Roguish Lawyer
03-17-2005, 22:30
beer works wonders...

Agreed. Drinking some now to improve my SA. :D

lksteve
03-17-2005, 22:39
Agreed. Drinking some now to improve my SA.

lemme know how that works...usually causes tunnel vision in me... :D

Gypsy
03-17-2005, 22:41
lemme know how that works...usually causes tunnel vision in me... :D

Based on what I read in the tunnel vision thread you need to "practice" more.

:D

lksteve
03-17-2005, 22:46
Based on what I read in the tunnel vision thread you need to "practice" more.

you may be onto something, there...

alphamale
03-17-2005, 23:27
Maybe a good Catholic (or bad Catholic, maybe FS? :D) Am not a bad Catholic! I always enjoyed the mass. Singing was uplifting. Favorite mass song was "Song of Joy".

Boston's Fanueil Hall area is the funnest place to be on any night the week of St. Patricks!

FrontSight

Roguish Lawyer
03-17-2005, 23:31
Am not a bad Catholic! I always enjoyed the mass. Singing was uplifting. Favorite mass song was "Song of Joy".

Boston's Fanueil Hall is the funnest place to be on any night the week of St. Patricks!

FrontSight

Uh huh. I know there is a blackwatch plaid sheathstick that goes under one of those little skirts.

FS: Protector of Catholic schoolgirls everywhere! ;)

lksteve
03-18-2005, 09:49
Uh huh. I know there is a blackwatch plaid sheathstick that goes under one of those little skirts.

i'm thinking that no good Catholic girl would be wearing anything in a Blackwatch tartan...not since the '45, for sure...

JMH85
03-18-2005, 10:27
Fun trivia question....NO GOOGLING for the answer.

Anyone have an idea where the 1st St. Patrick's day parade was held? And by whom?

I do remember somebody telling me it wasn't in Ireland--but he could be wrong. I'm guessing someplace in New England. Maybe Massachusetts or New York? I don't know by who though.

JMH85

The Reaper
03-18-2005, 11:15
Savannah?

TR

jbour13
03-18-2005, 11:30
I would venture a guess of NY city. I'd say big migrant population has a lot to do with it. 2nd guess is Boston.

ktek01
03-18-2005, 11:42
hmmm, NY, 1700s, Irish Veterans?

Gypsy
03-18-2005, 12:43
ktek01 is closest. Ahem......did you google?? :p

The first St. Patrick's Day parade was indeed in 1762 in NYC, by Irish Soldiers serving in the English Military.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
03-18-2005, 18:45
Well St. Patricks day is over! I missed the contest, just as well as I would have guessed NY.

My wife and I are both Irish to some degree (she's more Irish then me,) had a quite night at home. She fixed our annual corned beef, cabbage and boiled potatoes. Which I washed down with a couple of pints of Guinness beer out of the can. :D

Gypsy
03-18-2005, 18:50
I enjoyed the same meal Trip_Wire, quite delicious too I might add.

ktek01
03-18-2005, 19:18
ktek01 is closest. Ahem......did you google?? :p

The first St. Patrick's Day parade was indeed in 1762 in NYC, by Irish Soldiers serving in the English Military.

I heard a blurb on TV over the holiday, but couldnt remember the details.

brownapple
03-18-2005, 21:51
When the kids got dressed for school today, it wasn't in the normal school uniform, but in jeans and green shirts. I ask my wife why they aren't in uniforms today, and she says the school declared today a 'relaxed dress' day, so long as the students wore something green. At first I wondered why a parochial school would observe St. Patrick's Day, when I was hit by a blinding flash of the obvious--St. Patrick's Day honors...get ready for this...Saint Patrick, a Catholic saint. After smacking myself squarely in the forehead for being so dumb, I stopped to wonder that if St. Patrick's Day is, in essence, a religious (and Christian, to boot) holiday, why don't we see more protests by people over the parades, school celebrations and other governmental observances that are so typical of Christmas, Easter and the like? I've yet to hear someone complain about 'separation of church and state' in regards to St. Paddy's Day. I guess perhaps that beer is the great unifier? :)

The public school I went to used to tell us to wear green on St. Pat's day. I wore Orange.

jbour13
03-19-2005, 07:30
I purposely don't wear green. I'm more Scottish than Irish, I'm not a religious man, and I don't drink. Not much for me to do but people watch. I still have a lot of fun doing that. I have people in the workplace that still want to pinch you for not wearing green on St. Patty's. I promtly wrist-lock or deadarm them to remind them I don't like it. :D

I'm not big or mean, just an opportunist. I'm the runt in the family.
5' 8", 170lbs with the oldest brother at 6' 2", 250. It seems I got shortchanged in the size department. I made up for it in learning pressure points and being a little quicker. :)

Trip_Wire (RIP)
03-19-2005, 12:12
I enjoyed the same meal Trip_Wire, quite delicious too I might add.

Yes, as was mine! :D

BTW: My wife always makes a dish of sauce for the corned beef: She uses Sour Cream, a little Horse Radish & Dijon mustard. (Horse radish & Mustard to your taste.)

I find that it enhances both corned beef and ham. :munchin