PDA

View Full Version : Government for Dummies


Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-17-2005, 07:03
The following action took place yesterday in the Vermont House. I assume that their next step will be to have safety locks installed on sneaker laces to keep them from coming untied so folks won't trip over their own feet. Now it is not that I do not think CO detectors are a bad idea, I just don't think I need some legislator telling me what I have to do in my own home. Can't wait for the mandatory hand holds in the bath tub etc.

House debates carbon monoxide detectors

March 17, 2005

By Ross Sneyd Associated Press

MONTPELIER — Homeowners and other owners of residential property would have to install carbon monoxide detectors under a bill that won preliminary approval in the House on Wednesday despite some lawmakers' concerns about government intrusion into people's homes.

The bill was a reaction to a carbon monoxide leak at an apartment building at the University of Vermont in January that killed one man and sickened several others, causing injuries ranging from life threatening to relatively minor.

"For the tiny burden and small cost of a carbon monoxide detector, we can save lives that are needlessly lost," said Rep. Kurt Wright, R-Burlington, who was one of the prime advocates for the bill.

The legislation would require carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in any building where people sleep: dormitories, apartment buildings, condominiums, hotels, motels and private homes.

Although many lawmakers spoke in favor of requiring commercial buildings and multifamily buildings to have the devices, there also were a number who were reluctant to impose the requirement on single-family homes.

"Although I understand the need for people to install carbon monoxide units in residences, this bill is just one more instance of government intrusion in the privacy of Vermont citizens," said Rep. Sylvia Kennedy, R-Chelsea.

"It is out of respect for the freedom of all Vermonters to make some of their own decisions without government interference, even if the decision is a poor one, that I vote no," said Rep. Greg Clark, R-Vergennes.

But advocates of the measure said the requirement was not an onerous one — the detectors generally cost less than $100 and they can be paired with smoke detectors. "Carbon monoxide is odorless, silent and invisible," Wright said. "This bill is not about freedom, it is about the safety of unsuspecting citizens who sometimes go to sleep and don't wake up."

The bill would not set up a mechanism for the state to inspect private homes to make sure there were carbon monoxide detectors. But one of the devices would have to be in the building when a home was sold, just as a smoke detector has to be now.

Pete
03-17-2005, 07:13
Lets see here;

I have a two Heat Pump system thats all electric. No gas appliances, not even hooked up to a gas line or propane tank. Do not use fuel based space heaters and the fire place is well vented and burned down by the time we go to bed.

Do I need one? Hell no. But a person who has a lot of gas related items or burns a kerosine space heater would install one if they were smart.

Now a fire alarm? Yes, have two high end ones. One for each level.

Pete

The Reaper
03-17-2005, 08:28
Nambyism. Again.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-17-2005, 08:43
Lets see here;


Do I need one? Hell no. But a person who has a lot of gas related items or burns a kerosine space heater would install one if they were smart.


Pete

No argument here, but you will not have the option not to make a rational decision. Some shitbird politician just made it for you if you live in Vermont.

Jack Moroney

Bill Harsey
03-17-2005, 09:01
I even wear one around my neck to know when my wife has hollered at me enough to have removed all the O2 from the room and I'd better run.

Edited to add, I started this response because I thought the detectors were already required here in Oregon.

I think I was wrong and once again Jack it looks like your state is leading the way.

Roguish Lawyer
03-17-2005, 09:12
I even wear one around my neck to know when my wife has hollered at me enough to have removed all the O2 from the room and I'd better run.

Edited to add, I started this response because I thought the detectors were already required here in Oregon.

I think I was wrong and once again Jack it looks like your state is leading the way.

Vermont and Oregon have a lot in common, I think.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-17-2005, 09:18
Vermont and Oregon have a lot in common, I think.

Bill Harsey and I believe we have discovered that there are so many similiarities that we both must be at either end of the migration route of idiots. One good thing though, when a village in either state has lost their idiot chances are either state can fill the void for the other.

Jack Moroney

aricbcool
03-17-2005, 23:54
Where's legislature from the bench when you need it? :rolleyes:

--Aric

GackMan
03-18-2005, 00:34
the migration route of idiots.

Can I use that Sir?

we get people from the DPR Kalifornia up here in Oregon, you get Taxachusset... Taxa... oh shit, whatever someone from there is called.

Bravo1-3
03-18-2005, 01:50
Vermont and Oregon have a lot in common, I think.

Indeed.

Outside of the cities it's not bad, but Portland and Eugene are unreal. I try to avoid both whenever possible.

Sir, It sounds like the state government is trying to exand government in Vermont enough that they have to store some of it in your living room. Southern and Western Washington are great alternatives if you ever get the urge to pop smoke. Just make sure that before you do, you present a proposal at a town meeting thta everyone in Vermont should be required to take in an unemployed felon on parole. :D

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-18-2005, 05:49
Can I use that Sir?

.

Absolutely.

Razor
03-18-2005, 09:48
...oh shit, whatever someone from there is called.

The term you're seeking is 'Masshole'.

lksteve
03-18-2005, 09:58
Now it is not that I do not think CO detectors are a bad idea, I just don't think I need some legislator telling me what I have to do in my own home. Can't wait for the mandatory hand holds in the bath tub etc.

seems like it would be appropriate to mandate detectors in new construction...

about the only way i can see such a mandate required for existing structures would be to require such modifications before the issuance of a building permit to modify the existing structure...

you'd think our elected representatives would understand that it is as difficult to legislate common sense as it is to legislate morality...and as effective...

Peregrino
03-18-2005, 10:13
To add insult to injury: IIRC CO detectors have to be replaced about every three years - at the original purchase cost (+ inflation). Something about the way they work the sensing component breaks down over time. I'm going to have to do that next year for my RV and It hasn't even been well used. :( At least having one there makes sense with the propane appliances. WTF do you need one in an all electric house for? One size fits all, legislation for the lemmings! Didn't Mao say something about people, government, and deserving each other? :p Peregrino

The Reaper
03-18-2005, 11:13
Same experience here.

Had one and it died within a couple of years.

TR