PDA

View Full Version : beer is good for you

pulque
03-11-2005, 15:01
Experiments published in Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry showed that beer may reduce the carcinogenic effects of charred meats (by 40-70%).

:)

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20050305/food.asp

jbour13
03-11-2005, 15:10
What fun is the beer without the alcohol? Those mice are getting a raw deal. :D

I grew up on a beef farm in Missouri and over cooking and applying steak sauce is taboo. That's grounds for dismissal and extra chores.

Peregrino
03-11-2005, 15:26
Why would anybody turn perfectly good dead animal flesh into carcinogens anyway? :confused: Just goes to show: Steaks - properly seared, grilled medium rare, should be washed down with a quality full-bodied red wine (for the cardiac benefits) so you can save the iced beer for the fishing cooler. That way you avoid all kinds of problems. :D Peregrino

Roguish Lawyer
03-11-2005, 15:26
I knew it! Man, if beer is that good, imagine the positive health effects of whiskey!

The Reaper
03-11-2005, 15:34
I knew it! Man, if beer is that good, imagine the positive health effects of whiskey!

We will probably live forever!

Or until our livers fail. :D

TR

jatx
03-11-2005, 16:33
I love it!

A couple of years ago, I relocated to La Jolla, California, for a new job. My rooftop deck had a nice view of the water, and I immediately began having fantasies about cookouts. Upon meeting my new neighbors, who seemed like sheep but were definitely harmless, I invited them over for a barbecue to get to know each other. Because I am nice and friendly and that's how we'd do it back home.

They looked at me like I was an alien and replied, "We don't eat char."

Exqueeze me?

I began plotting my return to Texas before all the boxes were even unpacked. Now I have a good comeback - "It's okay, so long as you drink enough beer!"

BTW, do you eat char, RL? :D

Roguish Lawyer
03-11-2005, 16:44
BTW, do you eat char, RL? :D

What the hell is "char"? :munchin

jatx
03-11-2005, 17:39
As in CHARcoal and CHARbroiled (but bot CHARo) - the little burned parts from when you barbecue a piece of meat, or the drippings that accumulate on your coals and then burn. Supposedly carcinogenic if you consume a metric ton or so. Basically, if it's black and you just took it off the grill, that's char.

Roguish Lawyer
03-11-2005, 17:42
As in CHARcoal and CHARbroiled (but bot CHARo) - the little burned parts from when you barbecue a piece of meat, or the drippings that accumulate on your coals and then burn. Supposedly carcinogenic if you consume a metric ton or so. Basically, if it's black and you just took it off the grill, that's char.

I love that stuff.

jatx
03-11-2005, 17:50
Next time you're in Dallas, I'll make sure you get a proper dosage. ;)

Team Sergeant
03-11-2005, 17:56
Experiments published in Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry showed that beer may reduce the carcinogenic effects of charred meats (by 40-70%).

:)

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20050305/food.asp

I’m amazed it took the science community sooo long to recognize the health benefits associated with beer consumption and burning dead meat. We grill masters knew of these benefits years ago. (Hell I’m still crusading to get beer recognized as a “food group.”)

Roguish Lawyer
03-11-2005, 18:06
(Hell I’m still crusading to get beer recognized as a “food group.”)

Beer has all the food groups: grain, water, air, alcohol

brewmonkey
03-11-2005, 18:24
It has actually been known for some time. Dig around the net and you will find some older stuff, especially on beers brewed using higher kilned barley/malts (Chocolate, roasted & black patent).

casey
03-11-2005, 18:46
Beer has all the food groups: grain, water, air, alcohol

RL - Only in LA could air be a quanitative food group! However, for fear of impending litigation I shall not argue from afar.

pulque
03-11-2005, 19:02
I’m amazed it took the science community sooo long to recognize the health benefits associated with beer consumption and burning dead meat. We grill masters knew of these benefits years ago. (Hell I’m still crusading to get beer recognized as a “food group.”)

yes, I merely posted it to vindicate the grill masters intuition. It is little bits like these that should convince USDA to add one to the pyramid.

pulque
03-11-2005, 19:12
What fun is the beer without the alcohol? Those mice are getting a raw deal. :D

I grew up on a beef farm in Missouri and over cooking and applying steak sauce is taboo. That's grounds for dismissal and extra chores.

talk about a raw deal breaker... the mice didn't even get the char. they got a char supplement.

Weazle23
03-12-2005, 07:31
talk about a raw deal breaker... the mice didn't even get the char. they got a char supplement.

That's why I'm not a mouse. Weasels are smart enough to get the beer with the alcohol still in it and grab the steak, medium rare. :lifter

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-12-2005, 08:42
Don't worry about the mice. I think they got washed down with a beer.

Jack Moroney-looking for receipes for internally beer basted cat

The Reaper
03-12-2005, 08:47
That's why I'm not a mouse. Weasels are smart enough to get the beer with the alcohol still in it and grab the steak, medium rare. :lifter

Glad to see that you actually do know how to spell 'weasel'.

TR

Weazle23
03-12-2005, 10:35
Glad to see that you actually do know how to spell 'weasel'.

TR

LMAO!

I know, I know. My choice of screename might not be the most educated or prudent choice, but it stems from my nickname, Weasel, (never got caught at tag so I always had to start as "it") that has stuck since 5th grade (kids can be so cruel :boohoo ). My high school football coach really liked it and it took off. It's similar to my first name, and I was among the quickest/fastest athletes so it was a natural choice. I changed the spelling because I feel it's more phonically true, and to create a little bit of seperation from the stigma usually attached to someone called a weasel. Iv'e always used this screen name on other forums and saw no reason to change.

:munchin