PDA

View Full Version : ArmaLite AR-50

ANUBIS
03-10-2005, 14:47
After comming across a unique opportunity to buy an ArmaLite AR-50 at a great price, I have a few questions. Being raised around Colt AR 15s and HK91s I'm not that familiar with with the AR-50's track record. After ditching the Tasco (seriously), we had a NightForce NXS32RZ mounted. I'm just curious if anyone here has ideas on what to expect from the above combination or things to watch out for. Advice on decent ammunition would also be appreciated. So far, all I've noticed is that extracting the spent casing is a little stiff. Oh, and that even the cheapest ammo isn't cheap. (ah... the days of plinking off 100's of rounds just to get rid of it and off the tank) Note: I don't condone the "wasting" ammo, when given the choice between; facing the rigors of turning in unspent class V or allowing my troops some trigger time I will always opt for the latter. I suppose "plinking" was a bad choice of words. Thank you for your time!

The Reaper
03-11-2005, 09:57
Mine runs just fine. No extraction issues.

I use US made ammo and have found it for as little as $1 per round for some nice loads. With 7.62 Match loads at $.75 each, I consider it okay for plinking, since I rarely go through more than 25-30 rounds per session.

Don't shoot next to a wall, anything fragile, or a fellow shooter that you actually like.

Good shootin'!

TR

ANUBIS
03-11-2005, 12:49
Thanks for your imput. We just got a box of Hornady A-MAX (nice and shiny). Hopefully the weather here cooperates and I can get some rounds through it. That may solve the extraction riddle. I think she just needs loosened up a tad. Not to get too personal but, do you reload your own .50? We (my father and I) reload everything from .38s to .306 and have noticed the cost of a .50 set up is quite steep. I try to get him to consider a Dillon (what he considers the "lazy") but "if what you got aint broke... don't fix it". Thanks again for your time, and you're right. Our spotter realized very quickly where not to be!

The Reaper
03-11-2005, 13:21
IMHO, no point in spending the money getting set up to load that stuff unless unless you are in to the precision stuff.

TR