PDA

View Full Version : Pneumococcal Vaccine

NousDefionsDoc
03-10-2005, 07:28
Anybody got the G2 on this? Are they giving it in the States? What age groups?

Sacamuelas
03-10-2005, 08:24
Yes it is available. My kids have received it. We also give it to our geriatric patients at work.

I am sure there is a CDC recommendation on it(don't know it off hand) ... but I think the recommendation is for all high risk groups (elderly, immunocompromised, under 2, etc) to have it.

edit to add....
http://www.cdc.gov/nip/faqs/pneumo-faqs.htm

QRQ 30
03-10-2005, 08:31
My wife and I got it. Of course I am perhaps in the geriatric category. I am 65 and my wife is 55. :D :D I don't recall my wife getting the flu shot even though it is available.

Isn't it amazing how it magically became available after the election? They will be throwing some away this year like always.

NousDefionsDoc
03-10-2005, 08:44
Yeah, I looked on the CDC site. Looked like it was mostly for kids under 2 and immuno-high risk groups. The Kid's Doc is recommending it and I don't know why. He's 10 and as far as I know, there haven't been any makor outbreaks of anything it would cover here.

Kyobanim
03-10-2005, 09:07
For those of you who are wondering, like me, what it is, here's a pdf from the CDC.
http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/VIS/vis-ppv.pdf

Eagle5US
03-12-2005, 12:53
Yeah, I looked on the CDC site. Looked like it was mostly for kids under 2 and immuno-high risk groups. The Kid's Doc is recommending it and I don't know why. He's 10 and as far as I know, there haven't been any makor outbreaks of anything it would cover here.
Odd recommendation NDD...are you still down under or are you in the states??? I have been out of the loop due to work lately. Sorry :(

Eagle

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-12-2005, 12:59
The VA gave it too me because of my tender old age. Of course I didn't refuse as this is one of the few times that they gave me something back rather than either hacking something off or sucking something out of me.

Jack Moroney

NousDefionsDoc
03-12-2005, 13:20
Odd recommendation NDD...are you still down under or are you in the states??? I have been out of the loop due to work lately. Sorry :(

Eagle
SOTB. We've had the ped for a few years now, and he's never done anything before to make me doubt him. Osama Bin Mama came home with this the other day out of the blue. And of course down here, anybody with a white lab coat and a title is a deity not to be questioned.

You should have been here the day they put him under to put five sutures over his eye. I went off! I can't remember right now what they used, but they won't do it again. They said, "Well he was crying and wouldn't hold still!" The little female plastic surgeon that put him under said, "Well, I'm the doctor and I decided!" I said, "Well, I'm the fooking father and I will beat your ass." LOL

The next time, same doc, sutures to the knee - I said, "Watch this. KID! Be still and stop screaming. Take the pain or it's going to hurt worse when they stick you by accident." Silence, never moved a muscle.

The day they sedated him, I told the Chief of the ER, "You ever do that shit again and this hospital will have a new name. It will henceforth be known as the 'NDD Ground Zero Memorial Smoking Hole and Mass Grave'.

The door guard still blanches when I walk into the lobby. LOL

I had a sister-in-law dying in another hospital. Other sister-in-law went to give blood for the surgery. They left her unattended and she fainted and rolled off the table, hit her mouth and knocked out two front teeth. So I go down there to sit with her to make sure they don't kill her. Guy in the next bed with a laceration on his leg, waiting for rays. Complaining he hasn't eaten since the night before and he's been laying there for about 6 hours. Lunchtime comes. I look up and again, we're all alone. The resident (female, about 20) is in the cafeteria when I find her. Sitting at a table, yucking it up with her cohorts.

I say, "You know you got patients, your patients, bleeding in your ER, needing water, hungry?"

"But I was hungry and I came on shift at 0800 and I haven't had anything to eat since breakfast!"

"Bitch, start running. If you're not in that ER working by the time I get back down that hall, I'm kicking your ass and you can start studying for next job at McDonalds. You NEVER leave patients unattended in an ER."

I took her lunch and gave it to the dude in the next bed and sat there while he ate it.

LOL.

Smokin Joe
03-12-2005, 18:31
NDD,

You got my vote for Surgeon General!

JAGeorgia
03-14-2005, 07:20
I took her lunch and gave it to the dude in the next bed and sat there while he ate it.

LOL.

Much better than ER doc eating patient's meal because they were comatose. :mad: Been there.