PDA

View Full Version : "On the Road Food"

echoes
03-08-2005, 20:17
Greetings! I was curious if You all had any great "on-the-road" recipies?

My Favorite is : A Sprite mixed with some KettleOne Vodka. Great at any hour!

:) Holly

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-08-2005, 20:37
Depends on how long it has been run over :rolleyes:

Jack Moroney

echoes
03-08-2005, 20:49

Jack Moroney

Sir, well, ??? I don't get-it? :-)

Holly

The Reaper
03-08-2005, 21:32
Sir, well, ??? I don't get-it? :-)

Holly

"On the Road Food" = Road Kill.

Get it now?

TR

CPTAUSRET
03-08-2005, 23:17

Jack Moroney

That was funny!

echoes
03-09-2005, 17:15
"On the Road Food" = Road Kill.

Get it now?

TR

Yes, and yes. Thank you Sir. My appologies for being so dumb.

Holly :munchin

Pete
03-09-2005, 17:28

Jack Moroney

How flat is more important than how long. If it's out near the middle it can get pretty flat and dry real quick. Now off on the side near the ditch it can age better. Without too many rips it can stay fairly juicy.

Pete

echoes
03-09-2005, 17:55
How flat is more important than how long. If it's out near the middle it can get pretty flat and dry real quick. Now off on the side near the ditch it can age better. Without too many rips it can stay fairly juicy.

Pete

Greetings Sir,

A little bird told me that SF Soldiers enjoy deer from time to time? Does that apply? :)

Holly

Pete
03-09-2005, 18:09
A little bird told me that SF Soldiers enjoy deer from time to time? Does that apply? :)

Holly;
Who told you about the deer? That deer we ate caused all kinds of problems. Kicked off about 10 15-6 investigations and caused the battalion comander to go balistic. Good thing Forest K. at Group HQ backed me or it was the long walk off a short plank for this young (at the time) team sergeant.

I ate deer before that little dust up and again after. I'd eat deer anytime. If I ever found time to get back to my plot up in Iowa I'd get me a big fat corn feed one and munch on it.

Pete

Doc
03-09-2005, 18:13
Greetings Sir,

Holly

Hello Holly, hope you are well.

I love venison. Put an "X" next to my name will ya?

Doc

echoes
03-09-2005, 18:21
Hello Holly, hope you are well.

I love venison. Put an "X" next to my name will ya?

Doc

Yes Sir! :o I guess according to "Pete" that Deer is a big hit 'round these parts? Well, ya'll come on down here to Oklahoma, we have lots of deer, and even deer hunters. :)

I am curious though, what goes with deer to make a meal?

Holly

alphamale
03-09-2005, 18:27
Ms. Holly,

Don't you let Sir Jack Moroney ruffle your feathers - he was just being Mean Mr. Smartypants !

Requirements for Good On-the-Road food:

1) Carries well - doesn't get easily squished in the bag, even when rolling down a cliff on top of it :)

2) Lasts for at least 3-5 days

3) Is somewhat better than just pure sugar

4) Can eat it in very small amounts without making the rest of it ick.

Given that, I keep:

1) Cashews
2) Peanut MnM's
3) Your fave health-food bars

Also ordered some yogurt-covered dried cherries for my last trip that were good from a guy who quit his geek job and went into the exotic-dried-fruits-by-mail-order biz.

FrontSight

Pete
03-09-2005, 18:30

Holly

Holly;
Guy rule # 1. When a guy has meat on the grill he does not fill up on rabbit food. Salt. Pepper and beer are all you need when munching on meat.

OK, OK, for you guys on a "Healthy Diet" you can throw in some lightly grilled onions and green peppers.

Once you get your fill you can nibble on other things like greens and taters.

Pete

echoes
03-09-2005, 18:35
Holly;
Guy rule # 1. When a guy has meat on the grill he does not fill up on rabbit food. Salt. Pepper and beer are all you need when munching on meat.

OK, OK, for you guys on a "Healthy Diet" you can throw in some lightly grilled onions and green peppers.

Once you get your fill you can nibble on other things like greens and taters.

Pete

Frontsight, Good Call!! Thank you... :-)

Pete, greetings Sir, I will remember the hint about the meat on the grill idea. I just toss a salad anyway, and grab me that yummy steak! :D

Great ideas folks,
Holly

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-09-2005, 20:39
Ms. Holly,

Don't you let Sir Jack Moroney ruffle your feathers - he was just being Mean Mr. Smartypants !

Damn FS, such language. Do you eat with that mouth? :eek:

Jack Moroney

alphamale
03-09-2005, 20:49
Yea, pretty scary, aye?

I've been taking vocabulary lessons from Guy! :lifter

"Pooh-pooh head? Girl you need a REAL man in your life; what the h*ll is a pooh-pooh head !?!"

FrontSight

Razor
03-09-2005, 21:17
"Girl you need a REAL man in your life..."

Or at least one that doesn't wear Italian rubber and steel bracelets. That'd be a step in the right direction.

alphamale
03-09-2005, 21:28
Hey, I saw those on XY's in *Portugal* you boogar!

:p

echoes
03-10-2005, 08:32
Yea, pretty scary, aye?

I've been taking vocabulary lessons from Guy! :lifter

"Pooh-pooh head? Girl you need a REAL man in your life; what the h*ll is a pooh-pooh head !?!"

FrontSight

FS, girl, you rock!
I am laughing so hard right now, I love any sentence when one can use the word, "taters". :D

have a great day,
Holly

Kyobanim
03-10-2005, 09:04
Pete

Ifn you git corn fed beef you've already got the veggies. Who needs more?

boat guy
03-10-2005, 09:27
Holly,
When I was younger, my father "shot" a deer with the Jeep. Notified the Park Ranger at Quantico. The Ranger, quite seasoned in such events said he would take care of it and simply asked for our address. Next day we received a hindquarter nicely wrapped in butcher paper. Fortunatley the doe had come to rest on the side of the road and with few tears, she was still quite juicy. The meat was extremely tender and free from lead. I think we rounded the road kill out with some potatoes.

Roguish Lawyer
03-10-2005, 09:28
Getting back to Holly's original question, I like beer when on the road. Or bourbon on the rocks.

echoes
03-11-2005, 08:57
Getting back to Holly's original question, I like beer when on the road. Or bourbon on the rocks.

RL, now that sounds like a perfect idea...Oh My! Any particular burbon? ;)

Holly

Stargazer
03-11-2005, 09:06
Ice cold coke with (this is the important ingredient) a strawberry twizzler as the straw. Should you come across a defective straw, simply consume it and grab another twizzler. :D

Roguish Lawyer
03-11-2005, 13:13
RL, now that sounds like a perfect idea...Oh My! Any particular burbon? ;)

Holly

Well now I'm not being permitted to say "bourbon" anymore, because I also like Tennessee whiskey and other American whiskeys, so I'm going to say "American whiskey."

My favorite is Blanton's. Also like many others. We have some threads on this in the Gourmet Guerilla if you are interested. Search for "bourbon."

One thing I've learned to like recently is a mint julep.

The Reaper
03-11-2005, 13:40

Too rich!!

You moving South, or prepping for Derby Day?

TR

magician
03-11-2005, 14:06
the best "road chow" of all time just happens to be....my grandpa's venison jerky.

he lives in Southern Colorado....and Spanish is co-equal with English down there, particularly among the old folks, so they just call it carne seca, or "dry meat."

basically, all he does is cut the venison into long strips, salt it lightly, then hang it from the rafters in the basement. That is it. It takes a couple of months, I guess....to dry out to where it is edible. He sometimes rubs some with chili's....and makes some that is hot. It is phenomenally good.

there is nothing better than watching the Super Bowl with a personal bag of carne seca. Unless it would be heading up to the high country in an old Jeep or LandCruiser with the top down in Spring...with a bag of carne seca in your lap.

:)

Razor
03-11-2005, 14:30

Goes well with the umbrella?

Roguish Lawyer
03-11-2005, 15:11
Too rich!!

You moving South, or prepping for Derby Day?

TR

LOL

Before I die, I'm doing a trip to Kentucky for the Derby and distillery tours. Had depositions in Princeton, Indiana for a week a few years ago right before the Derby, but couldn't stay for it and I'm still pissed. :)

Roguish Lawyer
03-11-2005, 15:11
Goes well with the umbrella?

LOL - yep.

lrd
03-14-2005, 15:48
One thing I've learned to like recently is a mint julep.I have a recently discovered weakness for mojitos. Ever have one, RL?

Razor
03-14-2005, 15:56
Mojitos are good, if you can find a bartender that knows what the hell you're talking about, and has mint leaves on hand.

SP5IC
03-15-2005, 16:30
Ben Roberts, a SFTG buddy introduced me to Ramos Fizzes at Brophy's on the pier in Santa Barbara. Pity I can't remember much of the afternoon.

Roguish Lawyer
03-15-2005, 21:17
I have a recently discovered weakness for mojitos. Ever have one, RL?

Yes, they were very trendy for a while and may still be. Kind of like martinis were. But when something is trendy I tend to avoid it for some reason.

jatx
03-16-2005, 05:26
I took the thread topic too literally, I guess, because it reminded me of a cooking technique I developed during my early 20's (which were a perpetual roadtrip).

Buy some HEAVY foil. Make a pocket, then add some black beans, corn and salsa, top with an uncooked chicken breast. Seal it up good. Place it under the hood near your engine, but not in a spot where it will rattle loose or get caught in a belt. Hit the road!

Cooking times vary with speed, season and geography, but your car will smell great and you will be the envy of all the snack-machine refugees at the rest stops. :D

lrd
03-16-2005, 05:44
Yes, they were very trendy for a while and may still be. Kind of like martinis were. But when something is trendy I tend to avoid it for some reason.
HA! That shows you how much I know...I hadn't even heard of them until last December when a friend and I wandered into a little Cuban restaurant in downtown Norfolk. Good thing we were staying close by. :D

They called them the Cuban Mint Julep...

Razor
03-16-2005, 10:33
Don't feel badly, lrd. I first heard of them from watching the Cuban beach scene from the Bond film "Die Another Day". Actually, a couple things from that particular scene have stuck with me. ;)

Sacamuelas
03-16-2005, 11:09
mojitos were a hemingway thing weren't they???

Real men drink Sazarecs....
and a real Sazerak was originally made in New Orleans.

Actually, they are kind of an acquired taste... but again, nothing good in life comes easy.

Roguish Lawyer
03-16-2005, 15:47
Real men drink Sazeraks....
and a real Sazerak was originally made in New Orleans.

Actually, they are kind of an acquired taste... but again, nothing good in life comes easy.

What is a Sazerak?

Doc
03-16-2005, 19:14
Yes Sir! :o I guess according to "Pete" that Deer is a big hit 'round these parts? Well, ya'll come on down here to Oklahoma, we have lots of deer, and even deer hunters. :)

Holly

Holly

People you care about.

Doc

Roguish Lawyer
03-17-2005, 22:37
What is a Sazerak?

Saca?

Sacamuelas
03-17-2005, 23:41
I misspelled it. You know old saca....spell it like it sounds. :o

I looked it up to get the right spelling. In the original old days, it was made with absinthe and brandy.

Here is the recipe I am familiar with:
Sazarec: coat an old fashioned glass with Herbsaint (not too much – it has a very strong licorice flavor), add ice, tsp. of sugar, 2 dashes of bitters, 2 ounces of good bourbon and a lemon twist.

A little history...
Is Sazerac the first cocktail?
The Sazerac is one of those famous cocktail names that qualifies as a classic. This is in part due to the possibility that it is one of the world's oldest cocktails.

In the 1830s, Antoine Peychaud opened up a drugstore in the French Quarter of New Orleans. One of the products that he sold was his own special brand of bitters that he sold as "Peychaud's Bitters." At the time bitters were considered a way to invigorate good digestion and promote good health. Mr. Peychaud would combine his bitters with Brandy and offer the mixture to his customers as a cure for their ailments.

Just down the street, Sewell Taylor, a friend of Mr. Peychaud, opened up a "coffee house" called the Sazerac Coffee House (named after the Sazerac de Forge et Fils brandy, which he imported and sold to his customers). Mr. Peychaud's brandy and bitters cocktail became a popular drink at the gathering spot. Naturally, the Sazerac Coffee House used Sazerac Brandy, and soon the drink became known as the Sazerac.

By the 1870s the ownership of the Sazerac Coffee House changed and so did its name -- to Sazerac House. At that time the base spirit of the cocktail was changed from brandy to rye, and absinthe was added as an ingredient.

The new recipe for the Sazerac cocktail had become a combination of rye, bitters, sugar, and absinthe. This is still the basic recipe that you will find today, with absinthe replaced with Pernod. Like so many recipes there are variations on this "original" -- they include the use of Peychaud's bitters and Angostura bitters, or trying bourbon instead of rye as the base spirit.

The original Sazerac House has reappeared in a couple of formats over time and arguably the closest to the original today is the Sazerac House, which moved in 1949 to The Roosevelt Hotel and remains today in the Fairmont Hotel.

Is Sazerac the original cocktail? Peychaud’s friends and customers, who were the first drinkers of his bitters and brandy blend, drank from a “coquetier,” which is the French word for an egg cup. Did the mispronunciation of cocquetier result in the first use of the word cocktail?

Trivia note:
Peychaud's bitters are still popular today and are available throughout North America. Peychaud, originally from France, created his bitters in Santo Domingo and brought his recipe with him to New Orleans.

Roguish Lawyer
03-17-2005, 23:50
Hmmm, sounds kind of gay. Licorice and sugar and all. LMAO

Sacamuelas
03-18-2005, 00:10
YOU would know counselor....

Trust me, its not for the faint at heart. Just a straight bourbon with a background of the licorice flavor.

Roguish Lawyer
03-18-2005, 05:33
Trust me

Uh huh, "this won't hurt a bit, OPEN!" :rolleyes: LOL

echoes
03-23-2005, 12:35
Holly

People you care about.

Doc

Sir, that is a marvelous answer! :)

Holly