PDA

View Full Version : Mt. St. Helens...

Bill Harsey
03-08-2005, 19:55
Do you Washington kids here have your rock proof umbrellas out?

I just saw some local news with live feed from Portland looking towards Mt. St. Helens and reporting ash and steam clouds to 25,000 ft.

Developing story?

gits
03-08-2005, 19:58
I could see the huge puff of smoke above the horizon over here in Clackamas, Could you see any of it Mr. Harsey?

Bill Harsey
03-08-2005, 20:03
I could see the huge puff of smoke above the horizon over here in Clackamas, Could you see any of it Mr. Harsey?
That would be the only big cloud on your northern horizon this evening.
I'm a little too far south, about 150 miles from St. Helens.

Huey14
03-08-2005, 20:18
Not very good, but it's the only think I know of right now.

http://www.kirotv.com/sponsor/3770913/detail.html

I remember the last time one of ours went- sent ash and shit for something like 100km IIRC.

Bill Harsey
03-08-2005, 20:25
News Channel 8 out of Portland is reporting a steam and ash event from Mt. St. Helens. Winds are out of the south-southwest which should move the ash away from Portland/Vancouver.
Ash plume said to be at 30,000 ft. and moving towards Yakima, Washington.

Being reported as I type, no flight delays out of Portland International (PDX) but commercial aircraft are being advised of the ash.

No threat to life or property being reported.

EDITED TO ADD: Ash fall advisory for the southern Washington Cascades until 9pm tonight.

2.8 earthquake reported at the beginning of this.

Bill Harsey
03-08-2005, 21:00
As of 7PM Pacific time, lava said to be flowing from dome in the volcano.

Ash plume to 36,000 ft.

2.0 earthquakes at rate of one per minute.

Was it Jimmy Buffets song,
"I don't know Where I'm A Gonna Go When the Volcano Blows?"

The Reaper
03-08-2005, 21:33
As of 7PM Pacific time, lava said to be flowing from dome in the volcano.

Ash plume to 36,000 ft.

2.0 earthquakes at rate of one per minute.

Was it Jimmy Buffets song,
"I don't know Where I'm A Gonna Go When the Volcano Blows?"

Carolina.

We don't allow that stuff down here!

TR

lksteve
03-08-2005, 21:57
Carolina. We don't allow that stuff down here!

nope, just hurricaines, ice storms, chiggers, ticks, humidity...

i'll risk a volcano or earthquake, or two, thank you, very much...

GackMan
03-08-2005, 21:59
I was up on the roof checking it out.

Pretty big plume around 17:30 or so local. Looked like it was heading E/SE, so I'm West of PDX so I'm looking good right about now. I can still hear air traffic from the small airport near the house so they are either stupid as hell, or in no danger from the ash.

ash advisory/warning until 21:00 local.

The Reaper
03-08-2005, 22:11

Suit yourself.

We have humidity here?

TR

Sdiver
03-08-2005, 22:19
Wouldn't you know it...I leave, and the Mt. goes BOOM !!!!

What....you guys run out of Virgins there?

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3707

Bravo1-3
03-09-2005, 00:00
Some pictures I took from a field up the road. We live about 20 or so miles from the mountain. These were taken about 15 minutes after it started, about 1 every 5 minutes.

No "Boom" though.

My camera is a POS, so pardon the poor quality. On the plus side, while I was watching the show, my kids rounded up 2 tree frogs and 2 salimanders. I named the frogs "chirac" and "Domanic de Villepin".

BearFlag
03-09-2005, 02:54

AMEN.. i'll risk earthquakes and volcanos any day, just to not have to deal w/ chiggers, let alone hurricanes.!!!

Bravo1-3
03-09-2005, 11:26
Here's some close-up's taken from about 1.5 miles away by the remote camera.

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/Eruption04/Monitoring/plume_in_the_evening_8march05.html

Weazle23
03-09-2005, 12:41
AMEN.. i'll risk earthquakes and volcanos any day, just to not have to deal w/ chiggers, let alone hurricanes.!!!

Me too. I can't wait to get back to sea-level mountain country (PacNW). Iv'e had enough of this desert type place. I'm just glad I won't be here when the heat really hits. I'll be loving life when I can look up and see Mt Rainer to the East and the Olympics across the water to the West. I'll be enjoying a Fat Tire Amber and really appreciateing it all. Still waiting for Rainer to finish what St. Helens started.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
03-09-2005, 12:58
Wouldn't you know it...I leave, and the Mt. goes BOOM !!!!

What....you guys run out of Virgins there?

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3707

Hmmm! They seem to be in short supply! may be you could donate some of your Virgin sheep? :D

Bill Harsey
03-09-2005, 13:38
Here's some close-up's taken from about 1.5 miles away by the remote camera.

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/Eruption04/Monitoring/plume_in_the_evening_8march05.html
Bravo 1-3 Great link, you other folks need to check it out.

Thanks for the pics from your house too.

CPTAUSRET
03-09-2005, 14:02
Bravo 1-3 Great link, you other folks need to check it out.

Thanks for the pics from your house too.

What Bill said!

Terry

magician
03-09-2005, 15:17
chiggers!

(shudder).

amazing...how time cures so many bad memories. I had forgotten all about chiggers.

:)

I was at Ft. Lewis back in the day....must have been what? 1980? When Mount Saint Helens blew the last time....I remember ash all over the damned place.....and volcano watch out at RIP on North Fort.

Bravo1-3
03-09-2005, 15:56
chiggers!

(shudder).

amazing...how time cures so many bad memories. I had forgotten all about chiggers.

:)

I was at Ft. Lewis back in the day....must have been what? 1980?

May 18, 1980

Peregrino
03-09-2005, 16:11
Amazingly enough so was I. I was in A-1/5 SFG(A) at the time and we were out there doing what we not so fondly called "Wally's Follies Part II". If I remember correctly the Bn CO killed a helicopter, a deer, and a couple cars playing around in the ashfall (at least that's part of what he got blamed for). Several teams got humanitarian service medals out of the deal. I remember the trip somewhat fondly, especially since it was nowhere near the disaster WF Pt I was. Peregrino

Sdiver
03-09-2005, 19:37
Hmmm! They seem to be in short supply! may be you could donate some of your Virgin sheep? :D

Ha-Ha !!!!!

NEVER !!!!!

The Sheep stay here !!!!

Come my little Baa-Baas....time to play the drifter and the rancher's daughters. :D

The Reaper
03-09-2005, 19:53

I don't think he has any virgin sheep. :D

TR

CPTAUSRET
03-09-2005, 20:25
I don't think he has any virgin sheep. :D

TR

CLASSIC!

lksteve
03-09-2005, 21:14
We have humidity here?

well, it's been 11 years since last i was there, but it was humid (compared to 8% here) back then...besides, i have a degree in geology and volcanoes and earthquakes are far more interesting than the sand hills of the Carolina coastal plain...earthquakes are really interesting, especially when you live a couple hours drive from the fault line...

Bravo1-3
03-09-2005, 21:47
We don't have "Humidity" up here, we have "Precipitation". Sometimes that precipitation manifests itself as gigantic, flaming rocks that fall out of the sky :D