PDA

View Full Version : Introductions-Your first post on this board goes here.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

phily357
01-05-2005, 17:33
My name is Phil, I'm from NY. I have joined the NG and have an 18x contract with 18d as my first choice. I am into weightlifting, snow boarding, boxing and I am an AEMT-I. I am shipping April 27 and am ridiculously excited. I have endless questions, and welcome any input or suggestions.

sduarfts
01-06-2005, 21:40
Lurked for a little while. Just an old Batt Boy from 3/75.

Kyobanim
01-06-2005, 21:52
Welcome all

NousDefionsDoc
01-06-2005, 22:39
Welcome aboard fellows.

JAYGO
01-10-2005, 14:13
Hello my name is John. Thank you for letting me be apart of this forum. I have been lurking for about a year now and i thought it was about time to register myself. I hope that my profile is filled out correctly and if i am missing something please feel free to let me know.

Also, i have a personal question that i would like to PM someone about. Personally i have not memorized who is qualified to answer what but i thought i would just ask permission before i sent out my question.

Thanks again,

John

Sacamuelas
01-10-2005, 14:56
Also, i have a personal question that i would like to PM someone about. Personally i have not memorized who is qualified to answer what but i thought i would just ask permission before i sent out my question.

Thanks again,

John
LOL
First welcome John.

The above question is VERY vague, but let me try based on the specific information you posted...

If it is about _____, then contact _________
Of course, if it actually asks for info relating to _______, then ________would be more appropriate. Naturally, if ____ can't answer it, then _____ probably knows but will be guarded to who can acquire such information over a public board. Therefore, usually a PM to ______ will suffice to answer most of your private questions. That should answer that detailed and specific question. ;) LOL

No really, you should try PM'ing any ADMIN or the specific Moderator for whatever topic area your question might relate to. If the person doesn't know, they can probably refer you to someone who does know the answer if you have a need to know the information. That decision will be made by the Quiet Professional ADMINs. NOTE: Reread all the stickies at the tops of the forums FIRST, before you send a PM to an ADMIN/Mod asking about certain subjects.

Again, Welcome

JAYGO
01-10-2005, 15:27
Heh, well I did not want to impose on anyone in particular :D . Thanks for the response.

John

Kyobanim
01-10-2005, 15:52
:D Welcome JAYGO

Team Sergeant
01-10-2005, 16:16
LOL
First welcome John.

The above question is VERY vague, but let me try based on the specific information you posted...

If it is about _____, then contact _________
Of course, if it actually asks for info relating to _______, then ________would be more appropriate. Naturally, if ____ can't answer it, then _____ probably knows but will be guarded to who can acquire such information over a public board. Therefore, usually a PM to ______ will suffice to answer most of your private questions. That should answer that detailed and specific question. ;) LOL

No really, you should try PM'ing any ADMIN or the specific Moderator for whatever topic area your question might relate to. If the person doesn't know, they can probably refer you to someone who does know the answer if you have a need to know the information. That decision will be made by the Quiet Professional ADMINs. NOTE: Reread all the stickies at the tops of the forums FIRST, before you send a PM to an ADMIN/Mod asking about certain subjects.

Again, Welcome

Verbose tooth puller isn't he!

John,
Welcome aboard.
You can ask me anything, I may not answer you, but you can ask :D If I don't know the answer I'll point you in the right direction.
Again welcome aboard,
Team Sergeant

Oh, one more thing, for the love of pete, stay out of any tread that has Frontsight mentioned in it, your mental health may depend on it!

alphamale
01-10-2005, 16:57
Oh, one more thing, for the love of pete, stay out of any tread that has Frontsight mentioned in it, your mental health may depend on it!I heard that you boogar-brat! :fswhip: Thought you were being sneaky, aye?

John, don't worry, I'll protect you from that meanie Team Sergeant! :lifter

The basis of that snipe was simply that Men are challenged by understanding the varying conundrums that we Femme types present.

You see, as part of the 18-XX qualification, I had to become familiar with the importance of logarithmic curves vs circular curves, Fibonacci numbers and their implementation as part of the defining ratio of strength and beauty in placement of adjacent parts, UtBs and new and better ways to terrify unsuspecting XYs, all this new terminology and rules and ways to snipe in retaliation, etc.

There will be a test!

FrontSight

Kyobanim
01-10-2005, 19:55
How come we don't have a headache smilie?

:D

Team Sergeant
01-10-2005, 20:29
I heard that you boogar-brat! :fswhip: Thought you were being sneaky, aye?

The basis of that snipe was simply that Men are challenged by understanding the varying conundrums that we Femme types present.

You see, as part of the 18-XX qualification, I had to become familiar with the importance of logarithmic curves vs circular curves, Fibonacci numbers and their implementation as part of the defining ratio of strength and beauty in placement of adjacent parts, UtBs and new and better ways to terrify unsuspecting XYs, all this new terminology and rules and ways to snipe in retaliation, etc.

There will be a test!

FrontSight

I rest my case.

12B4S
01-11-2005, 03:31
Welcome JAYGO
Well Kyo and TS did try to fill you in, but FS did a better job than anyone else could in her last post. :D Seems you have a bodyguard as well, thing is "that meanie Team Sergeant" has some BIG knives and I'm thinkin' she may disappear on ya tootsweet if one were brandished.

Kyo lol.. great idea. somewhere someone must have made a headache smilie.

"as part of an 18-XX qual........... LMAO..... tooo muchhhh hahaha

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-11-2005, 06:16

FrontSight

Welcome aboard. I would highly recommend that you disregard the above comment.

Jack Moroney

Jo Sul
01-11-2005, 07:03
Kinda like the wolf guarding the sheep? We'll have to work on her 18-XXX qualification next.

mffjm8509
01-11-2005, 07:22
I
You see, as part of the 18-XX qualification, I had to become familiar with the importance of logarithmic curves vs circular curves, Fibonacci numbers and their implementation as part of the defining ratio of strength and beauty in placement of adjacent parts, UtBs and new and better ways to terrify unsuspecting XYs, all this new terminology and rules and ways to snipe in retaliation, etc

FrontSight

I love it when she talks dirty...........that was dirty right?

mp

Roguish Lawyer
01-11-2005, 10:26
I love it when she talks dirty...........that was dirty right?

mp

LMAO

scoot
01-11-2005, 14:46
Hello. My name is Scott. I'm a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Kansas. As soon as I'm done with school I plan on joining the Army with an 18x contract. I've wanted to serve all my life, I was just too young and unsure what I wanted to do so I did what everyone does around here and went to school. I don't regret it, but am just looking forward to getting out and joining. It gives me a good reason to get good grades. Anyways thanks already for all the great advice thats here, and I'll let you know when I enlist.

Scott

NousDefionsDoc
01-11-2005, 15:20
Another college boy - yum yum chomp chomp

Welcome to PS.com

Gypsy
01-11-2005, 15:38
Another college boy - yum yum chomp chomp

I'm worried about your figure NDD. :cool:

/end hijack

Welcome to all the new-comers!

SSG_B
01-11-2005, 21:44
Just wanted to say hi and make a quick intro. My name is Cory and I am currently stationed in Fort Riley learning all of the joys of Mechanized Infantry. I look forward to learning alot from this site and its members

NousDefionsDoc
01-11-2005, 21:50
Welcome aboard Cory

CrashXX
01-11-2005, 23:19
I have been viewing this forum for quite some time and finally decided to register. My name is Jordan and I am a college senior four months away from being commissioned as an Infantry LT. I enlisted in 2001 in the NG as an 11b, then switched MOS to 27D. I also recently completed Airborne school, class 08-05, last jump 11 December 2004. I am looking forward to IOBC following graduation in May, and hopefully Ranger school right after IOBC.

I would have to say that viewing the topics being discussed on this forum has been very helpful to me learning about the Special Forces. You get to see a lot of different views and attitudes of people on this forum.

Jordan

Cecil75
01-12-2005, 11:20
Just registered on the site, figured I'd better introduce myself. I'm looking into getting an 18X contract so I'm here to gather some info from the professionals who have BTDT. Great site, excellent source of info. Thanks to all responsible for creating and maintaining this resource. God bless all Defenders of our Freedom.

Rschoeneck
01-15-2005, 06:46
Prior service Navy here, re-enlisting with the Army National Guard. Prior to a few weeks ago I had not even considered the thought of SF. After some long soul searching and reading I have decided that it is now and always will be my goal to pursue the beret.

I look forward to reading and learning all that I can from you gentlemen and look forward to the discussions.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-15-2005, 07:01
Just wanted to say hi and make a quick intro. My name is Cory and I am currently stationed in Fort Riley learning all of the joys of Mechanized Infantry. I look forward to learning alot from this site and its members

Having started out as a mech infantry platoon leader and later company commander the only joys about mech infantry I had was leaving it and getting into SF. Welcome aboard.

Jack Moroney

SlimTexan
01-15-2005, 15:23
Hello all,

I've been lurking for a little over a week, and decided it's time to emerge from the shadows, to say Thank You all. I'm currently pursuing enlistment in the 18X program, and trying to do my research well ahead of time. PS, has been an excellent resource, and I'm grateful.

Thanks again,
Stuart

Invisible J
01-16-2005, 22:46
Gentlemen - Made my way over from SOCNET where I use the same screen name.

AD USMC Infantryman / Scout Sniper 1995-1999
AD USAF Aircrew Life Support Technician 2003 - current

Back into the shadows for me now.

12B4S
01-17-2005, 01:55
Welcome InvisibleJ and Slim_texan.....

NousDefionsDoc
01-17-2005, 05:28
Welcome to the party fellows.

Mac
01-19-2005, 11:06
Sorry if Im posting this in the wrong place, but Im not really well versed in forum use. This thread looked like the place to post this. I have been lurking on this site for awhile and should introduce myself. My names Mike McCoy and Im from Las Vegas, NV . Im a former active duty 11B, and am now a 38A (civil affairs weinee). Just got back from OEF in CJTF-HOA. Im a police officer with Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Dept (15 years). My goal is 18D, although my age may be problematic. Probably wont be posting much, but would be happy to answer any questions that I can help with. This is a very impressive site and Ive learned alot from it. Look forward to learning even more from the warriors who post here.

CPTAUSRET
01-19-2005, 11:28
Mac:

Welcome!

Take care of our guys who will be going to Las Vegas for the SHOT Show this year.

I got stopped Sunday in Albuquerque, doing 82 in a 65, I had just finished pumping a hundred rounds down range at a local range, was in my Z06 listening to Buddy Holly, and I just couldn't help myself.

The police officer who stopped me was very professional, he was driving a little Camaro, he ran the plates (Purple Heart), looked at my retired ID, card then my license.

I said "There probably isn't any chance of me getting out of a serious ticket, is there" he responden "Not likely!" He wrote for awhile then handed me his clipboard, and stated "sign here, it's a warning ticket." "I said thank you, Officer!" He said "Thank you." He was obviously referring to the Purple Heart plates, and my years of service.

Talk about a surprise, he was a class act. I wouldn't have argued if he had given me a ticket, I was wrong, and I knew it.

Terry

Mac
01-19-2005, 12:14
Thanks for the welcome. Glad he only cut you a warning cite, but with Purple Heart plates (which, by the way, thank you for your service and sacrifice), I doubt I would have even pulled you over to start with (haha). Different school, different times, I guess. Im glad to hear he showed you the respect that you have earned and deserve. Some of the kids these days get wayyyy too badge heavy. Looking forward to the SHOT show myself. Just to go there to dream and drool, then its off to Toys-R-Us to spend my money on the latest Barbie crap that my daughter just cant live without.

Goggles Pizano
01-19-2005, 13:24
Mac:

Welcome!

Take care of our guys who will be going to Las Vegas for the SHOT Show this year.

I got stopped Sunday in Albuquerque, doing 82 in a 65, I had just finished pumping a hundred rounds down range at a local range, was in my Z06 listening to Buddy Holly, and I just couldn't help myself.

The police officer who stopped me was very professional, he was driving a little Camaro, he ran the plates (Purple Heart), looked at my retired ID, card then my license.

I said "There probably isn't any chance of me getting out of a serious ticket, is there" he responden "Not likely!" He wrote for awhile then handed me his clipboard, and stated "sign here, it's a warning ticket." "I said thank you, Officer!" He said "Thank you." He was obviously referring to the Purple Heart plates, and my years of service.

Talk about a surprise, he was a class act. I wouldn't have argued if he had given me a ticket, I was wrong, and I knew it.

Terry

Sir I can assure you if he DID write a ticket the older guys on his Dept would have wrung his neck! Professional courtesy extends to veterans as well as cops, docs, and nurses.

NousDefionsDoc
01-19-2005, 16:53
Welcome Mac

The Reaper
01-19-2005, 16:54
Sir I can assure you if he DID write a ticket the older guys on his Dept would have wrung his neck! Professional courtesy extends to veterans as well as cops, docs, and nurses.

Where were you guys 20 years ago, when I showed my ID and got written cites every time I bent any rule.

"Illegal U-Turn"? "Improper Equipment"?

Man, times sure have changed! :D

TR

Mac
01-19-2005, 17:34
Thanks for the welcome, gentlemen. Actually, 20 years ago, I was a 17 year old cherry on Kelly Hill, getting hassled by Columbus P.D. after being thrown out of the classiest establishments on Victory Drive. Fortunately for me, I couldnt afford a car or Im sure I would have had the same problems you did....probably more.

RAT
01-19-2005, 18:50
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET

Was that what he clocked you going??? Or how fast you were travling??? :D

RAT OUT!!!

Goggles Pizano
01-20-2005, 02:04
TR,

Sir 20 years ago I was attempting to push South Carolina into Georgia! Now it's DE into the Atlantic....plus ca change, plu cest le meme chose (sp). :lifter

Smokin Joe
01-20-2005, 02:28
Sorry if Im posting this in the wrong place, but Im not really well versed in forum use. This thread looked like the place to post this. I have been lurking on this site for awhile and should introduce myself. My names Mike McCoy and Im from Las Vegas, NV . Im a former active duty 11B, and am now a 38A (civil affairs weinee). Just got back from OEF in CJTF-HOA. Im a police officer with Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Dept (15 years). My goal is 18D, although my age may be problematic. Probably wont be posting much, but would be happy to answer any questions that I can help with. This is a very impressive site and Ive learned alot from it. Look forward to learning even more from the warriors who post here.

Welcome Mac,

I have alot of respect for LVMPD and your Officers.

casey
01-20-2005, 07:12
Where were you guys 20 years ago, when I showed my ID and got written cites every time I bent any rule.

"Illegal U-Turn"? "Improper Equipment"?

Man, times sure have changed! :D

TR

I don't think it was only you boss, they used to stop everybody with a John Deere just to check the steering column for punched ignitions.

Kash
01-20-2005, 07:26
Hello gentlemen,
I'm a former MP SGT that trasnsplanted to the Navy as a Master-at-Arms... got some crappy orders and thought I'd try other things. If I new then what I know now... well, you know. Anyway, I'm probably going to be a habitual lurker. There's a lot of interesting reading here. I could use some PT suggestions to switch things up for my troops.

Much respect,

MA1(SW) Tim Kashino

SgtUSMC8541
01-20-2005, 08:37
Quick intro.... Sgt, USMCR, 2/25 Scout Sniper Platoon team leader. 2nd MarDiv SSS and a few others, our unit was AD for OEF and the beginning of OIF in Al Naz. I see a few names here I recognize. Great site.

S/F

The Reaper
01-20-2005, 09:38
I don't think it was only you boss, they used to stop everybody with a John Deere just to check the steering column for punched ignitions.

Ouch, that really hurts! :D

Who's your buddy?

TR

Mac
01-20-2005, 11:09
Joe, on behalf of the whole team....thank you

casey
01-20-2005, 15:32
Ouch, that really hurts! :D

Who's your buddy?

TR

LOL - Apologetic new 2XXL tee-shirt inbound

The Reaper
01-20-2005, 15:33
LOL - Apologetic new 2XXL tee-shirt inbound

Yeah, I got a size 7 7/8" hat for you and a big hug, too.

TR

Rob_0811
01-20-2005, 20:33
I was in the Marine Corps Reserve as a Field Artillery Cannoneer in Colorado from 1990 - 2001. I'm presently starting the process of enlisting in the Army Reserve in a PSYOP company here in Dallas. (once a few issues are resolved - long story) Some here may know me from Mil.com or SOCNET.

My intent is to lurk and learn. Thank you all for your service.

Semper Fidelis,

Rob

edited for clarity.

NousDefionsDoc
01-20-2005, 22:09
Welcome aboard fellows.

Archangel
01-21-2005, 10:04
Hey fellas! I'm training hard with the 20th SF Group getting physically & mentally ready for SFAS sometime later this year. Great site!

The Reaper
01-21-2005, 10:13
Welcome aboard. This would have probably been more appropriate on the "Introductions" thread, and you need to fill out your profile.

Now let me get this straight.

You were a dependent of a sole military parent in Vietnam at age 6?

TR

Archangel
01-21-2005, 10:26
Welcome aboard. This would have probably been more appropriate on the "Introductions" thread, and you need to fill out your profile.

Now let me get this straight.

You were a dependent of a sole military parent in Vietnam at age 6?

TR
No my father was already out of the military before I was born. His reputation of what he did during his service would have made him a prime candidate for execution by the NVA.

My apologies for posting in the wrong forum. Profile completed. Mods, please move to the appropriate forum.

tyrsnbdr
01-21-2005, 13:42
Hello all, I'm a Signal 1LT currently at Fort Drum. I found this site 2 days ago I'm very impressed by how much I can learn here. I put my packet in to be invited to SFAS this year and I hope to be in the pipeline by the end of the year. I tend to be the lurker type, but I'm not afriad to ask questions. But it you excuse me I need to be at the gym or out on the road running/ rucking right now. ;)

CPTAUSRET
01-21-2005, 16:08
Was that what he clocked you going??? Or how fast you were travling??? :D

RAT OUT!!!

RAT:

I was going faster than that, not sure exactly how fast.

I was hard on the brakes as soon as I saw him sitting alongside the road.

Terry

RAT
01-21-2005, 17:54
RAT:

I was going faster than that, not sure exactly how fast.

I was hard on the brakes as soon as I saw him sitting alongside the road.

Terry

Cap,

Sir.. for as long as I have known you through the boards... I have never known you to be hard on the BRAKES... :D

I know with all your toys.. Hard to slow down...

Stay safe.

RAT OUT!!!

CPTAUSRET
01-22-2005, 11:31
Cap,

Sir.. for as long as I have known you through the boards... I have never known you to be hard on the BRAKES... :D

I know with all your toys.. Hard to slow down...

Stay safe.

RAT OUT!!!

You got me!

Hard to argue against fact.

I am just thankful for all the understanding LEO's out there!

Terry :)

Mav
01-22-2005, 16:06
I've been perusing this site on and off for a few months, now (referred from SOCnet) and have, as of yet, failed to introduce myself. Rectifying error now.

Mav on SOCnet. Recently left AD as an E5 with the 525th MI BDE (ABN) at Ft Bragg. Abn qualified. Afghanistan May 02 - Nov 02. And am Max Power's wife. :)

lrd
01-22-2005, 16:13
Welcome aboard, Mav.

Radar Rider
01-22-2005, 16:37
Good to see you here, Mav!

The Reaper
01-22-2005, 16:38
Welcome!

TR

Gypsy
01-22-2005, 16:50
Welcome Mav, good to see you here!

NousDefionsDoc
01-22-2005, 16:50
Welcome aboard

Mav
01-22-2005, 16:56
Many thanks for the warm welcomes! :)

twil13
01-23-2005, 09:50
Hi guys. I enlisted 2 days ago with an 18x contract and I ship on July 14. I have the same handle on mil.com although I do limited posting. If anyone leaving at the same time wants to chat on AIM, feel free. I have just been skimming through this site and I think it is great. Keep up the good info!

Tony

The Reaper
01-23-2005, 09:53
Hi guys. I enlisted 2 days ago with an 18x contract and I ship on July 14. I have the same handle on mil.com although I do limited posting. If anyone leaving at the same time wants to chat on AIM, feel free. I have just been skimming through this site and I think it is great. Keep up the good info!

Tony

Welcome aboard.

In light of recent stupidity on other forums, you new members might want to read the stickies before posting outside this thread.

Just a word to the wise....

TR

TrackguyRH
01-23-2005, 12:38
I'm new, just thought I'd say hi to everyone. I here to do a little reading and hopefully learn a little.

CPTAUSRET
01-23-2005, 13:08
Where in Vietnam were you born, where did you live?

Terry

t-rex2025
01-23-2005, 13:10
Greetings,

New to the site, not new to SF. Hope to make some contributions and get some insight

De Oppresso Liber

T-Rex

Roguish Lawyer
01-23-2005, 13:32
Welcome to the Board.

vivelamorte
01-23-2005, 14:53
Hi!

Newbie here as well. I've grown up and lived in Germany, England, and even more Germany.

Am currently studying at university here in Münster, Germany (Westfalia part of Northrine-Westfalia).

I'm considering leaving university and going for 18X.

I want something more from life than a shallow job later on and the occasional ale in my local pub.

Archangel
01-23-2005, 15:17
Where in Vietnam were you born, where did you live?

TerryAre you referring to me? I was born in Saigon & lived there until 4/30/75.

CPTAUSRET
01-23-2005, 15:51
Are you referring to me? I was born in Saigon & lived there until 4/30/75.

Yes, I was.

I met a man and his wife a few years ago in Japan, at that time he was the President of some Canadian Psychiatric association his name is Soma Ganesan, he and his wife were from Can Tho, and they were interred after we left, but they eventually escaped.

I was flying Cobra gunships out of Can Tho when they lived there, many a tear flowed that night.

Terry

Team Sergeant
01-23-2005, 16:07
I want something more from life than a shallow job later on and the occasional ale in my local pub.

Blasphemy!!!

Welcome aboard, Blasphemer.

Team Sergeant

12B4S
01-24-2005, 00:01
;)

Willkommen

12B4S
01-24-2005, 00:08
AH nothin....

vivelamorte
01-24-2005, 02:26
;)

Willkommen

Danke schön! :)

vivelamorte
01-24-2005, 02:28
Blasphemy!!!

Welcome aboard, Blasphemer.

Team Sergeant

Well, okay, I admit an occasional ale IS blasphemy. Perhaps I should've written the occasional evening in the pub with lots of pints of ale. That does sound better, doesn't it? :p

Although, I must say I prefer stout. Or Becks pils.

Huey14
01-24-2005, 02:38
Not to be a dumb knob, but I take you're an American that's grown up in Europe?

And if you've spent time in Eng a land, you'll know proper English, too :p You can join my metric crusade if you like.

vivelamorte
01-24-2005, 04:44
Not to be a dumb knob, but I take you're an American that's grown up in Europe?

And if you've spent time in Eng a land, you'll know proper English, too :p You can join my metric crusade if you like.

My dad's American, my mum is German, and I was born in Germany, went to Kindergarten und primary in England, and spent puberty pissing off teachers here in Germany. A small wonder I made it through to university.

Metric crusade sounds good! Perhaps we can call all countries without "an axis of unmetric evil"?

GTRich
01-24-2005, 10:21
Thus thread has become pretty bloated, but I thought it would be impolite not to introduce myself before I post. I'm a freshman in college in DC and I'm enrolled in Army ROTC here. I have always wanted to be a soldier, and I jumped at the chance to have the Army foot some of the enormous bill. If all goes well, in four years I will be an officer. I've never been much of a long-term planner, so I really don't know much of what will come after that. Actually, even four years seems like an eternity away.

I'm obviously not SF. I know a few guys that are doing that direct enlistment program with the hopes of being SF, so that got me somewhat interested in all this. It sounds fascinating, but I don't know if I am cut out for it. I don't even really know what I want to branch when I am commissioned. After my initial four years are up, I will evaluate where I am. Maybe someday I will decide that I want to be SF, but at the moment I don't posses the standard ROTC cadet's dreams of glory.

So, for now I plan to lurk this forum, reading what you Quiet Professionals have to say, maybe posting the occasional question.

Anyway, thanks for doing what you do.

The Reaper
01-24-2005, 10:29
Rich:

That would be seven years in your future, and you have plenty of time to decide before then.

Enjoy college. Stay in good shape, spend some time in the woods, consider learning to land navigate if you have an orienteering club available, and learn another language if you can.

Good luck!

TR

CPTAUSRET
01-24-2005, 23:54
Thanks for the welcome. Glad he only cut you a warning cite, but with Purple Heart plates (which, by the way, thank you for your service and sacrifice), I doubt I would have even pulled you over to start with (haha). Different school, different times, I guess. Im glad to hear he showed you the respect that you have earned and deserve. Some of the kids these days get wayyyy too badge heavy. Looking forward to the SHOT show myself. Just to go there to dream and drool, then its off to Toys-R-Us to spend my money on the latest Barbie crap that my daughter just cant live without.

Mac:

Didn't see this post, enjoy your daughter while you can...They grow up waay too fast! :)

Terry

lksteve
01-25-2005, 15:26
been here for a year or more...re-read the rules and realized, now that i have posted two replies, that an introduction is requested...

i retired in '94 after 22 years of service in the Army, with a couple years of that in the Guard (college, seeing if i could be a civilian, etc)...

last assignment was with JTF-SWA during the Provide Comfort/Southern Watch days...

posted a brief bio with my profile...

ah yam whut ah yam...

Roguish Lawyer
01-25-2005, 16:51
been here for a year or more...re-read the rules and realized, now that i have posted two replies, that an introduction is requested...

i retired in '94 after 22 years of service in the Army, with a couple years of that in the Guard (college, seeing if i could be a civilian, etc)...

last assignment was with JTF-SWA during the Provide Comfort/Southern Watch days...

posted a brief bio with my profile...

ah yam whut ah yam...

Welcome to the board!

SP5IC
01-25-2005, 17:15
Hey brother, welcome to the "other" list.

Mark Atchison

lksteve
01-25-2005, 17:18

Mark Atchison

been to busy too post...been here awhile, although i don't specifically remember my last lurk through...

TerribleTobyt
01-25-2005, 19:41

Mark Atchison

May I add my welcome, lksteve!!!!!!

;)

NousDefionsDoc
01-25-2005, 21:16
Welcome Aboard lksteve

GTRich - I'm a freshman in college

Yum! Yum! Chomp! Chomp!
What's your major?

The Reaper
01-25-2005, 21:21
Welcome Aboard lksteve

Yum! Yum! Chomp! Chomp!
What's your major?

Easy there, Godzilla. :D

He may be a Georgetown stud, but at least he isn't a Havard man.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
01-25-2005, 21:25
You can join my metric crusade if you like.
I'm in

NousDefionsDoc
01-25-2005, 21:42
Easy there, Godzilla. :D

He may be a Georgetown stud, but at least he isn't a Havard man.

TR

I am an equal opportunity Chomper.

The Reaper
01-25-2005, 21:43

Then proceed, mi hermano!

TR

Huey14
01-25-2005, 23:02
I'm in

No, I think you'd be a double agent or you'd make all the centimetres form an army and rise up against me in the ultimate form of irony.

Subliminalmess
01-26-2005, 06:09
Introducing myself first off I am active Army stationed at SHAPE, Belgium. I currently work at the USANATO PSD Evals section. I have been in the military now a little over 3 yrs. Im currently a "Buck SGT" and plan to do the best I can. Before I came to NATO I was stationed at Ft. Sill in 2-18th FA where I deployed in support of OIF between March03 - Nov 03. not much else to say other than that.

GTRich
01-26-2005, 10:09

Sir,
Do I know what I'm getting into here?

Army ROTC is run through Georgetown but I go to the even more overpriced school slightly to the southeast, George Washington University. I'm majoring in International Affairs with a minor in Organizational Science.

Eat away

Surgicalcric
01-26-2005, 10:34
Sir

You have gone and done it now for sure.

Crip

Canis Lupus
01-27-2005, 09:24
Hello everyone. After reading the stickies, and seeing the tounge lashing given to everyone who didn't, I thought I would make a short introduction for myself should I ever need to post a question in the future. I am not active military yet. I have full intentions of enlisting in the next two months (need to get some things in order first), I'm just on here sponging information to help me decide whether to go 18X or go 11B and then try SFAS later down the road.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-27-2005, 09:26
Welcome aboard "grey wolf".

labrat
01-30-2005, 04:31
Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself to you all. I've been active enlisted for 3 yrs and some change as a 91K, and heading for SFAS in Feb '05. I've been checking this site for a couple weeks now to get any and all info to prepare me for what challenges lie ahead... My hopes are that of success.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
01-30-2005, 06:01
Welcome aboard and good luck with SFAS.

Jack Moroney

Desert Fox
01-30-2005, 08:39
Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself to you all. I've been active enlisted for 3 yrs and some change as a 91K, and heading for SFAS in Feb '05. I've been checking this site for a couple weeks now to get any and all info to prepare me for what challenges lie ahead... My hopes are that of success.

Good luck!

Floyd
01-30-2005, 11:47
I posted in the de-activated unit threads but thought I would also amke my intro here
I served as a Rigger in GSC for 12th Group from 92 until deactivation then went to a Civil Affairs Bat until my enlistment was up.
before that i used to strap-hang with 12th every chance I got when I was assigned to a Rigger unit in Gary,In.

L51
01-30-2005, 12:59
Hi everyone,

I just recently found this forum and it looks like a good place to be. I am a police officer and defensive tactics instructor in a mid-size agency in the Bay Area. I have not served in the military yet, but am looking at joining the Coast Guard Reserve.

I am looking forward to learning from everyone here. Thanks in advance.

michael

Prester John
02-01-2005, 08:05
Howdy,

I'm currently living in the galleria area and looking for a little advice on which way to proceed with the military. I am hoping to get OCS and SF, but this seems to confuse the recruiters I have talked to. I would appreciate any advice you guys may have on this subject.

I would also love to find some good guys to go shooting with.

Doug

Archangel
02-01-2005, 09:51
Howdy,

I'm currently living in the galleria area and looking for a little advice on which way to proceed with the military. I am hoping to get OCS and SF, but this seems to confuse the recruiters I have talked to. I would appreciate any advice you guys may have on this subject.

I would also love to find some good guys to go shooting with.

DougHi Doug. Fill out your profile.

Prester John
02-01-2005, 10:13
Done... satisfactory for all purposes?

Doug

Kyobanim
02-01-2005, 10:20

Doug

Thanks

Archangel
02-01-2005, 10:50

DougI live in Houston too & I'll be driving up to Greneda, MS once a month for drill with the 2/20th SFG (NG). We can get together & shoot & talk more about the best route you should take for your military career.

Nick

Hatchetforce
02-03-2005, 00:10
Just joined the forum. I'll visit when I am able. Details are in my profile.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-03-2005, 05:52
Welcome aboard.

Jack Moroney

Sacamuelas
02-03-2005, 07:46
Welcome Hatchetforce!

NousDefionsDoc
02-03-2005, 13:13
Welcome

SoldiersSister
02-03-2005, 14:43
Hello all.

I hope this is the place for an intro.

My name is Nancy. My brother (Pvt. Joseph Bridges) is serving in the Army 1st Cav.

I have several family members in the military....Army, Marines & AirForce. I am not military myself so I hope it's OK to join you.

You are all heros and have my utmost respect.

I found this site while searching the web for articles about Taylor Burk. My brother was saved by Burk back in April of 2004.

I would like to share this article about Taylor Burk. If it's not in the right place, feel free to move it to wherever it needs to be. It tells the story of bravery and how this young man saved my brother's life.

Edited.. CLICK HERE (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5408&page=1&pp=10) for article and thread

tb469
02-03-2005, 19:13
Hello,

I was in the Army for 5 years as a 91P. I am a currently a Firefighter/Paramedic.

Todd

Team Sergeant
02-03-2005, 19:35
Welcome Nancy, Todd and everyone else!

Team Sergeant

12B4S
02-04-2005, 00:27
Welcome all.

Rob
02-05-2005, 09:05
Hello,

I've been lurking on this site for a bit and thought it was time to introduce myself. I have never served in the military, but am very interested in SF and, more broadly, organizational excellence. This site has been an incredible learning resource; if it is alright, I'd like to continue to lurk and learn.

Thank you all for your service. It is very much appreciated.

Rob

Pete
02-06-2005, 19:29
Hey All,
Just cruised by to say hello. I'll swing by more often now that I've found you and registered.

Pete
Just an FOG

Kyobanim
02-06-2005, 19:34
Welcome to the board

Team Sergeant
02-06-2005, 20:32
Welcome Pete, hope you enjoy the boards.

TS

lksteve
02-06-2005, 22:16
just an FOG

nobody two years younger than i am is allowed to be a FOG... :confused:

CPTAUSRET
02-06-2005, 22:19
Welcome aboard, everyone.

Terry

72_Wilderness
02-06-2005, 22:33
I have only read a small bit of the messages on the web site and i can tell that it is a good site, i just wish i would have found it sooner.
I hold all of you with the up most respect. I thank you for everything that you have done to keep this country and its people safe.
This is about as much as you hear from me for a while, i am off to do some reading and there is alot on here.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-07-2005, 06:09

You are both just pups. Welcome aboard Pete.

Jack Moroney

Pete
02-07-2005, 08:37

After seeing the young "stud muffins" at the last SFA meeting it made me feel like a VVFOG. Then again, standing around the Real VFOGs it did make me feel like just a PUP. It all depends on who you're standing with at the time.

As for you real pups out there, how many of you have jumped chutes without the anti-inversion nets? How many know what the "Bang Box" AKA "Dial-a-Death" was in relation to the parachute?

Pete

Team Sergeant
02-07-2005, 08:45
After seeing the young "stud muffins" at the last SFA meeting it made me feel like a VVFOG. Then again, standing around the Real VFOGs it did make me feel like just a PUP. It all depends on who you're standing with at the time.

As for you real pups out there, how many of you have jumped chutes without the anti-inversion nets? How many know what the "Bang Box" AKA "Dial-a-Death" was in relation to the parachute?

Pete

Oh shit, I've got a feeling this topic is much older than I! If Pete starts talking about "wheel locks and trebuchets" we’ll get CPTAUSRET to translate!

Team Sergeant

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-07-2005, 11:05

Pete
Yep. How about slip fork risers?

Jack Moroney

CPTAUSRET
02-07-2005, 11:08
Oh shit, I've got a feeling this topic is much older than I! If Pete starts talking about "wheel locks and trebuchets" we’ll get CPTAUSRET to translate!

Team Sergeant

TS:

Thank you for that one!

Everyone gets to pick on the FOG. ;)

Terry

QRQ 30
02-07-2005, 11:17
I started on the T-10 in '63. There was no anti-inversion net. Not familiar with the "dial-a-death" unless it was the twist and bang "quick release" into which the leg and shoulder straps were fastened.

As late as '67 the SAS were still jumping T-7's. On an exercise we exchanged chutes. We were then using the MC1-1. We jumped the T-7. We were rather apprehensive due to the stories we heard but found nothing that exciting other than the osscillations of the flat-circular canopy.

Pete
02-07-2005, 12:05
Jack wrote "slip fork risers"

Jack and All;
I never was a Sky God but IIRC Slip Fork Risers were on the old HALO chutes. You would pull the forks and slip the risers to guide the parachute. I think it had an egg shaped opening in the back. I think it worked about as well as a -1.

From there I think they went to the Para-commanders for a while and then to the squares that they use now. How did I do, you HALO guys?

OK - It's safe to take off the O2 mask now.

Pete

Yeah, Terry, that's the bang box with the fork and twist knob. Remember weaving the leg staps up over the kit bag, through the harnes and then into the box? Some fun! At well over 6' I was very uncomfortable in that harnes.

QRQ 30
02-07-2005, 12:39
I believe that the chure to which Pete refers was merely known as the T-10 (steerable). The modification was known as a "TOJO" in reference to the shape.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
02-07-2005, 13:52

Pete

How about T-7's, with "Dial-a-Death." :eek:

Trip_Wire (RIP)
02-07-2005, 14:06
I started on the T-10 in '63. There was no anti-inversion net. Not familiar with the "dial-a-death" unless it was the twist and bang "quick release" into which the leg and shoulder straps were fastened.

As late as '67 the SAS were still jumping T-7's. On an exercise we exchanged chutes. We were then using the MC1-1. We jumped the T-7. We were rather apprehensive due to the stories we heard but found nothing that exciting other than the osscillations of the flat-circular canopy.

I started with T-7's in '51 and I always thought that the opening shock was more severe then T-10s. (No deployment bag) Also the risers could slap one up along side the head on occassion. One didn't want to linger on the DZ as it could rain helmets and other loose gear. (Never a good idea anyway.)

I took it that the "dial-a-death" reference was the twist and bang "quick release" which the T-7s were equipped with. The ones that I jumped, did not have a quick release for the risers/canopy either, you had to learn how to twist and turn to be pulled up and run around to spill the air out of your canopy. At 22 knots or so not very easy!

Oh and yes, one can really have a rough landing if you are osscillating and your canopy hits the ground first! :eek:

QRQ 30
02-07-2005, 14:18
Trip Wire. It is entirely possible that the mBrit T-7's we jumped had D-bags and the T-7 was merely the canopy. I don't remember losing any nuts. :D I can't remember. Did it have an apex vent or did it just go whop, whop, whop to the ground.

lksteve
02-07-2005, 14:33
i seem to recall slip fork risers on the MC1...before the MC1-1 (no anti-inversion net) and the MC1-1B...

my first MC1 jump was out of a C7...i honestly don't recall seeing one of those around after '76 or '77...

lksteve
02-07-2005, 14:41
You are both just pups. Welcome aboard Pete.

my point exactly, Herr Oberst...

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-07-2005, 14:47
Jack wrote "slip fork risers"

Jack and All;
I never was a Sky God but IIRC Slip Fork Risers were on the old HALO chutes. You would pull the forks and slip the risers to guide the parachute. I think it had an egg shaped opening in the back. I think it worked about as well as a -1.

The slip fork risers came in with the "7 gore T U" modification to the T-10 and was supposed to be the answer to providing SF rope jumpers with a better ability to steer their canopies. The risers were just a continuous loop from the front and back suspension lines thru a clamp assembly on the harness just above the quick release assembly and were held in place with a fork so that they did not "slip" until you gained control over the canopy. Once you had control you pulled the forks loose and then you pulled down on the appropriate riser as far as you wanted and it "slipped" throught the metal clamp (can't remember the terminology) giving you a greater ability to dump air and modify the canopy than with regular risers. There was one catch-damn thing did not go back to the original configuration like when you let go of a normal riser on a T-10. I can remember MSG Honer pulling his fork loose and then forgetting to readjust the risers and he sort of screwed his way all the way into the ground in a slow spiral. They did not last long and went out as soon as they came up the the toggles on the MC1-1s. It also got fun during night jumps, trying to realign the risers by matching up two pieces of white reflecting tape that was sewn on the risers to indicate when they were at the "normal" position.

Jack Moroney

lksteve
02-07-2005, 14:59
It also got fun during night jumps, trying to realign the risers by matching up two pieces of white reflecting tape that was sewn on the risers to indicate when they were at the "normal" position.

the most fun that can be had with steerable parachutes of any type is to have them issued to some folks for a mass-tactical jump...once, when just a young pup in the 82nd, MC1-1s were issued to a battalion's recon platoon, us (combat engineers) and all of what passed for adult leadership within the battalion...instead of putting folks at one end of the stick or the other, we were lined up in stick order based on the computer print out...an interesting outcome, as we jumped into Swampy DZ at Lejune...

of course, this was a far better alternative to putting an entire battalion in steerable parachutes, which i later experienced in the 509th...

but alas, i digress...

Dustin03
02-09-2005, 05:07
Greetings gentlemen, stumbled across this site a few days ago, finally decided to sign up. Just got out of the active Air Force, due to a failed contract on their part :confused: and towards the end i started hanging around with some CCT guys. even worked out with them pretty regularly. so after being told i had the option, i got out honorably, and signed up with the 2/20th (A). Hoping to head to SFAS in late march/early april. I think it was a great decision on my part, i can see a lot of the brotherhood the Army instills in its troops. I have a brother and a few great friends also in the Guard, serving in Iraq currently.

Any questions, advice or comments feel free to ask.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
02-09-2005, 12:08
Trip Wire. It is entirely possible that the mBrit T-7's we jumped had D-bags and the T-7 was merely the canopy. I don't remember losing any nuts. :D I can't remember. Did it have an apex vent or did it just go whop, whop, whop to the ground.

It had an apex, as I recall. When one jumped a T-7 in those days, one was VERY careful on the "nut" arrangement. I also got a few bangs on the bridge of the nose from the helmet. :p

FMA11
02-10-2005, 12:11
Hey guys. Been lurking for about a year. Waiting on a waiver from the 20th so I can go REP-63 with the Maryland Guard. I'm a non-prior service CPA living in Maryland. Thanks to all of you guys who spend time informing and entertaining me.

Back to the shadows...

Jamacee
02-13-2005, 13:58
Hello all:

First, thank you all for your service to our country - it is much appreciated. Thank you also for this wonderful resource you have put together here.

I am a student at the University of Maryland pursuing two Bachelor's degrees: one in Finance and one in Accounting. With a little over a year remaining before graduation, I've begun exploring my options for military service. At this point, I don't believe I want to make a career out of it, but for several different reasons, I am leaning heavily towards a tour of duty following graduation.

Lately, I've been researching possible paths for service across the various branches. I'm very intrigued by the 18x contract and the possibility of serving as a SF member; I've been lurking here for awhile and reading almost anything I can find about SF. I took the ASVAB (scored a 99), and have begun training heavily to get into the shape I need to be in.

I will continue to lurk and absorb as much as I can. Thanks!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-13-2005, 14:22
Hello all:

FirstI've begun exploring my options for military service. At this point, I don't believe I want to make a career out of it, but for several different reasons, I am leaning heavily towards a tour of duty following graduation.

Lately, I've been researching possible paths for service across the various branches. I'm very intrigued by the 18x contract and the possibility of serving as a SF member; !

Welcome aboard. If you just want to dabble in the military don't bother wasting your or SF's time on applying for 18X. This is not a college kid's club and it is not a job. It is a profession that requires a commitment not to fulfill your interests but a commitment to the mission and members of the detachment to which you belong.

Jack Moroney

Jamacee
02-13-2005, 14:55
Welcome aboard. If you just want to dabble in the military don't bother wasting your or SF's time on applying for 18X. This is not a college kid's club and it is not a job. It is a profession that requires a commitment not to fulfill your interests but a commitment to the mission and members of the detachment to which you belong.

Jack Moroney

Thank you for the welcome. Your point is well-taken: if I were to decide to enlist with an 18x contract, I would be unwavering on my commitment and dedication. It's actually getting to the enlistment point that requires the soul-searching and self-exploration... for me, at least. This is not something that I want to jump blindly into.

Col. Moroney, I also have a follow-up question for you: it is my understanding that an 18x contract requires a 5 or 6 year commitment. Do you feel that it is unwise to pursue an 18x contract if I were interested in serving my time and then moving on to a civilian career? It seems that whenever I mention that I'm interested in one tour of service, there are people who more or less object to that. It is not my intention to half-ass or dabble in anything... I intend to be the best I can be and give everything I have in the time I decide to serve, be it 5 years or 30 years.

I appreciate any and all input - the more information and viewpoints I can get, the better. Thank you!

The Reaper
02-13-2005, 15:04
Six years is barely enough to complete SF training and make a few deployments.

IMHO, a team member is barely getting started at that point, and I doubt that I would want you on my team knowing that you were only in it for one tour. Lack of committment/dedication showing.

TR

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-13-2005, 15:17
I intend to be the best I can be and give everything I have in the time I decide to serve, be it 5 years or 30 years.

. Thank you!

That is admirable and a good way to approach anything. Let me be as direct as I can without sounding like a hard case. First of all, if you want to do your bit in the service please do. I think more folks should stand up and serve in this nation's military. Counting all the current veterans still living and those currently serving less than 8% of this country's population have answered the call to keep this nation free. Secondly, getting into the 18X program, thru the qualification course and into SF is only the beginning. Your ability to perform as a SF soldier comes with continual experience, training, and a level of commitment and effort from every fiber of your physical and mental being. Now there have been many one tour SF soldiers that have been outstanding but times have changed and what it takes today to develop and hone the skills required takes more than your two years in the pipe line and just one tour on a team. Your learning and maturation as a SF soldier begins when you walk through your first team room door and it continues for the remainder of your time until you hang up your rucksack. Now I am not trying to discourage you from attempting that route because you may just find your calling, but making a SF soldier is not like making corn flakes. While there is a common thread that binds them all, they are all masters of their own initiative and motivation to see that the mission is completed and that their commitment to their team is absolute. Someone with a five year horizon in their short range game plan is just not going to have the level of commitment that is needed in SF.

Jack Moroney

Jamacee
02-13-2005, 15:22
Thank you for the responses. You have both given me plenty to chew on.

Maytime
02-14-2005, 01:31
Hi, I'm in a Reserve unit here in Alaska (B CO 411 ENG), and let me say what a fine site this is. I have aspirations of being an SF soldier, and I've been gathering intel for about 6 months. Then I found this site, and the amount of primary source information is staggering. Thank you for your service and keep up the good work.

SnafuRacer
02-14-2005, 13:37
Hello All,
I have been lurking here for a long time, and decided to join and finally post an intro.
I post sometimes at SOCnet and ArmyRanger.com (in the general areas, since I don't claim no SOF experience).
I am a prior service cook, got out back in 01 to finish my degree, and did some time in a Reserve unit.
Currently, I am training again to get back in shape, and submit an OCS packet, since I was naturalized 2 years ago. I am hopping and will be pursuing selection for an IN or EN branch.

Pete
02-14-2005, 15:43
SnafuRacer wrote - (in the general areas, since I don't claim no SOF experience).I am a prior service cook,

Hey buddy;

The A teams may get all the glory, press and pictures but there is a bunch of guys standing behind them. In addition to the regular cast of characters on my B team we usually traveled with a cook, two riggers and a wrench monkey to some of the more remote and interesting places.

Those guys would work as hard if not harder than the regular guys in keeping the A teams in the field and doing "their thing". I treated them as team members and they replied in kind with their hard work.

The cook said he liked going anywhere with us rather than stay at home station. Same with the mechanic so our request went in with their names on it. Got them every time.

It takes all kinds to keep the big green (tan) machine in the field and working.

Pete

NousDefionsDoc
02-14-2005, 18:57
I am a student at the University of Maryland pursuing two Bachelor's degrees: one in Finance and one in Accounting.
Yum Yum Chomp Chomp

QRQ 30
02-14-2005, 19:12
Welcome aboard!! I agree with everything that Pete said. The SOG clubs had some of the best chow in country. I only visited FOB-1 Phu Bai a few times thank god otherwise I would have gained 20 pounds in country. Good chow is a real morale booster.

I really missed the days of the company mess rather than a consolidated dining facility. The mess personnel lived right in the same barracks as the rest of the troops and acted accordingly.

BTW: If you get a chance can you show your Combat Spoon Badge to mffjm? :D :D

RangerRick
02-14-2005, 20:23
New to the board, just saying hello to all.

NousDefionsDoc
02-14-2005, 20:30
New to the board, just saying hello to all.

Hi. Welcome aboard.

SnafuRacer
02-14-2005, 22:56
Thanks for the welcome, gentlemen! I appreciate it.

Raven
02-15-2005, 13:37
I have been lurking for awhile but just joined. I'm an 18C awaiting Phase III, just putting my name out there.

The Reaper
02-15-2005, 14:43
I have been lurking for awhile but just joined. I'm an 18C awaiting Phase III, just putting my name out there.

Congratulations.

Listen to everything that Ernie T. says and take it to the bank. He has forgotten more about SF Engineering than most of us know.

TR

Supe
02-15-2005, 17:37
My name is Clark aka Supe (for Superman), I'm 31, and I've been lurking around here for a few months. I'm an ex-USAF commo guy (mobile SATCOM/Wideband systems), but I've always held an interest in unconventional warfare. I've thought about going the NG SF route, but I've got some work to do in the physical department before trying my hand at it.

My hats off to both current and not-so-current Quiet Professionals for the job you've done and/or are currently doing; your service to our country is greatly appreciated. Also, thanks to all who make this forum what it is. It's a valuable resource that I'm very thankful to be able to utilize.

lksteve
02-15-2005, 19:51
My hats off to both former and current Quiet Professionals...

not sure former is appropriate...i prefer to think of it as current and not-so-current Quiet Professionals...

Team Sergeant
02-15-2005, 20:10
not sure former is appropriate...i prefer to think of it as current and not-so-current Quiet Professionals...

Former, current or retired is fine. Don't let steve pull your chain.

TS

alphamale
02-16-2005, 00:01
I was told the term is FOG = Friendly Older Gentleman

lksteve
02-16-2005, 09:57
Don't let steve pull your chain.
TS

moi???? busted... :p

Martinez
02-16-2005, 14:16
FOG = Friendly Older Gentleman

ROFLMAO - now that's a good one!! Love it.

Jennifer sends

hurly
02-16-2005, 17:16
Snafu racer,
You have my respect and admiration ,buddy. You are the first guy I have ever seen who has admitted they were a cook and proud to say it. I owe ya one!! :)

QRQ 30
02-16-2005, 17:23
I was told the term is FOG = Friendly Older Gentleman

Thanks. I always thought: "Friggin old goat!!" :D

TerribleTobyt
02-16-2005, 21:50
Snafu racer,
You have my respect and admiration ,buddy. You are the first guy I have ever seen who has admitted they were a cook and proud to say it. I owe ya one!! :)

Check somma the older threads. I freely admit my 1st MOS was 94B. :eek:

Make mine Hefe Weisen, mit limon!!!!!!! :D :p

azmg
02-17-2005, 01:25
I am a new member to the site and am here to gather a bit of information on my brothers chosen career path (he is in phase II of the Q and carries an 18D designation). I appreciate all of the great information and thank you all for your service.

boat guy
02-17-2005, 07:31
Gentlemen,
I am an active duty squid "O" in the process of an interservice transfer to the Army. I have an overwhwelming desire to fight the enemies of our great nation in the ranks of the Quiet Professionals. I have been selected to attend SFAS where I will find out if I have what it takes. During the past few years, I served as a Detachment OIC in SBT 20 and deployed to the NAG with NSWRON 7/10. I appreciate your time and attention.

TerribleTobyt
02-17-2005, 07:46
Boat Guy, welcome aboard!!!

QRQ 30
02-17-2005, 08:01
Boat Guy:
Welcome. IMHO step one is to have no doubt that you have what it takes. I never did though I am sure others weren't always sure about me. ;)

Landlubber
02-17-2005, 11:37
Greetings. I am currently in the Navy, just like Boatguy, serving in NSW. I am looking to be at SFAS shortly, and hopefully the rest of the pipeline involved for Army SF. I just spent nearly ten months over in CENTCOM throughout the AOR, couldn't get enough of it. I am grateful for this website and all it's members to help me understand more and prepare for my new challenge. Thanks.

Team Sergeant
02-17-2005, 11:47
Welcome Gents!

(You do realize that if and when you make it through the course you’ll both be assigned to SCUBA or "Water" Teams! :D Tell NO ONE where your hailing from!!!)

Team Sergeant
Specialty; MFF

Pete
02-17-2005, 11:55
At least they'll know the difference between the overhead and the head... Over.

Pete
Who got by with few bubbles outa' my Emerson Rig.

NousDefionsDoc
02-17-2005, 15:10
Welcome. You boat guys got cool toys.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-17-2005, 15:19
Welcome Gents!

(You do realize that if and when you make it through the course you’ll both be assigned to SCUBA or "Water" Teams! :D Tell NO ONE where your hailing from!!!)

Team Sergeant
Specialty; MFF

Worse than that, they will get every frigging safety boat detail for any jump within 10 miles of any water hazard.

Welcome aboard.

Jack Moroney

DEPforbutterbar
02-18-2005, 09:56
I am currently in the DEP for active duty Army. My contract is for OCS (Class 05-06). I am heavily lobbying to get IN, if not asssigned it outright finding a classmate to trade.

I also plan on putting in my packet for the 75th when I can (undestanding it is very difficult to get in) and after that putting in my packet for SFAS.

I ship on 20050301 for BCT. I am on here lurking and looking for advice on pursuing my goals and developing into a soldier and a leader. Thanks for the site and letting the uninitiated hang around.

The Reaper
02-18-2005, 10:04
I am currently in the DEP for active duty Army. My contract is for OCS (Class 05-06). I am heavily lobbying to get IN, if not asssigned it outright finding a classmate to trade.

I also plan on putting in my packet for the 75th when I can (undestanding it is very difficult to get in) and after that putting in my packet for SFAS.

I ship on 20050301 for BCT. I am on here lurking and looking for advice on pursuing my goals and developing into a soldier and a leader. Thanks for the site and letting the uninitiated hang around.

You will not be eligible for SFAS till you are a promotable 1LT.

Good luck getting Infantry, that is the number one requested branch.

TR

DEPforbutterbar
02-18-2005, 10:24
Understood about not getting the SFAS slot until later.

Frankly I am a little distressed about the uncertainty of getting IN. It is something out of my hands that I have to react to when the branches are assigned. I have faith in the ability to trade if PERSCOM does not assign it outright. Failing that, what would be a good second or third choice that would be a good background for an 18A?

The Reaper
02-18-2005, 10:33
Understood about not getting the SFAS slot until later.

Frankly I am a little distressed about the uncertainty of getting IN. It is something out of my hands that I have to react to when the branches are assigned. I have faith in the ability to trade if PERSCOM does not assign it outright. Failing that, what would be a good second or third choice that would be a good background for an 18A?

Anything that gets you Ranger School and a trip to the Sand Box.

TR

Holmchicken
02-18-2005, 16:31
My nickname is Holmchicken because my sqaud leader as a private thought it fit me. I'm 27, married, live in Fayetteville and am currently on assignment to the Q Course. I found this site while searching forums at Armyranger.com, of which I am a member of (The Holmchicken). I will be doing plenty of research and very little posting. I'll try hard not to step on my johnson and exercise the proper situational awareness. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to be on this site and I look forward to browsing it.

Skyshark
02-18-2005, 17:01
Good Afternoon to you all. I am new to the site here. Heard about it from armyranger.com. As a matter of fact I see a fwe familer names. I am a Veteran, served wth the 503rd in KOREA and 2-504PIR at Bragg. Very nice site, my compliments to you all. I have done some searching to make sure I understand all the rules, if I post incorrectly please let me know.

STRIKE HOLD!!

Duke
02-18-2005, 19:29
Well Chicky, it sure beats "Shithead" which stuck with me all of the way thru SFTG. :D
Lol... My names Dukagjin; Duke is short for it. Imagine being called 'dookey' since highschool. :boohoo

Duke
02-19-2005, 02:04
Lol... My names Dukagjin; Duke is short for it. Imagine being called 'dookey' since highschool. :boohoo
To properly introduce myself, I'm just some teenaged punk interested in SF. I don't really expect to make alot of posts, just read, so you probaly won't see me post much.

CoLawman
02-19-2005, 11:02
First Time Visitor. Excellent site. Am the proud father of an 18X soldier. He is in his first week of Jump School. There is no greater pride than a noble choice of an only son to seek such an elite and storied existence as that of the Special Forces. Your select community will be getting a great one if he is successful in his endeavor, which I confidently believe he will. I salute all of you who have served. Just as important, I salute that small fraternity of parents who produced such amazing men.

NousDefionsDoc
02-19-2005, 11:13
Welcome aboard

kusinagaraDB
02-20-2005, 16:32
Hey everyone, I'm Scott. Just enlisted as 91W (medic) in the National Guard. Awaiting Basic/AIT training. I joined Troop E 105th Cavalry in Antigo, Wisconsin. I want to join A/2/20th in Chicago...I have yet to contact the recruiter (trying to get as many pertinent questions together as possible).

I'm highly motivated towards what I want. I write and perform my own music. I study nutrition and fitness in my spare time. I'm enrolled at Northern Michigan University, but I'm thinking about tranferring to a tech school closer to home so I can study fire-safety. I've been studying psychology, and I joined to help pay my way through school.

Thursday
02-20-2005, 22:59
My name is Matt and I'm 21, living in the Chicago suburbs. I found out about this site from armyranger.com, where I also frequent. I'm currently a paramdic student and work as an EMT-Basic on a private ambulance.

After p-school, I'm planning on moving to Texas to work as a paramedic, and finishing up my undergraduate, which should be roughly 1.5 - 2 years. After I finish my undergrad, I'm planning on enlisting into the Army with an Option 40 contract. I want to spend some time in the Ranger Battalion getting some experience before I apply for SF.

This is a great site you guys run here, limitless info. I'm planning on using it to the fullest extent I can.

Doc
02-20-2005, 23:04
Welcome aboard and good luck Matt.

Doc

SineParii
02-21-2005, 00:43
Just heard of you site a couple of days ago. Signed up and done some reading, must say like it. No BS and wannabees. Wie sagt man wieder Affentittengeil? Ochin Garascho!

Sigi
02-21-2005, 06:30
Glad to see you made it Sine Pari. You'll love the site.

NousDefionsDoc
02-21-2005, 11:54
Welcome

Aces_&_8s
02-21-2005, 17:58
Hello Gentlemen,
My name is AJ and I am Prior Service. Currently I am strating my Masters Degree while I live abroad w/my wife and I am also a PT junkie :lifter . Come back state side in 18mos and plan to join the National Guard for Special Forces. This site has a ton of info and I look forward to lurk and post.

Staying the Course

Roguish Lawyer
02-21-2005, 18:03
Welcome. Bad hand. ;)

tojomo
02-21-2005, 19:39
Hello, my name is Anthony. i'm prior AF and looking to join NG SF. This is where i'm going to start. I thank you all in advance

Malarkey
02-21-2005, 22:20
Hey, just signed up. I'm a highschool junior enlisting with an option 40 contract this September. I enjoy running a lot, do other PT that I don't enjoy so much and live the normal life. This site looks cool, I'm glad I found it. I'll be readin around for a while and probably won't make very many posts.

Malarkey

Sigi
02-21-2005, 22:35
Malarkey,
I used to live in Streetsboro.

What school do you go to?

Malarkey
02-21-2005, 22:36
Roosevelt. What year were you there?

Sigi
02-21-2005, 22:43
Roosevelt. What year were you there?
PM sent

ghostinashell
02-23-2005, 14:26
hello my name is david. i am 25 graduating college this may and have just enlisted as an 18x option. i leave for osut at benning on june 9th. i am very excited about the opportunity that i have been given and hope to do myself and the many great soldiers that have come before me proud. i'm not sure what else to say in an introduction so i will ask my questions and try not to ask questions that have already been answered. thanks a lot and i'll see you guys around.

Roguish Lawyer
02-23-2005, 15:07
welcome to the board, david.

Team Sergeant
02-23-2005, 15:21
hello my name is david. i am 25 graduating college this may and have just enlisted as an 18x option. i leave for osut at benning on june 9th. i am very excited about the opportunity that i have been given and hope to do myself and the many great soldiers that have come before me proud. i'm not sure what else to say in an introduction so i will ask my questions and try not to ask questions that have already been answered. thanks a lot and i'll see you guys around.

David,

Congrats on graduating college.

Not a bad intro, learn to use captial letters.

Now get back to your PT!

Team Sergeant

NousDefionsDoc
02-23-2005, 15:30
am 25 graduating college this may

Yum Yum Chomp Chomp

Check your pms

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-23-2005, 15:39
David, welcome aboard. Evidently you were influenced a lot by e.e.cummings in college.

Jack Moroney

ghostinashell
02-23-2005, 16:33
Roger the use of caps. Thanks for the welcomes.

sf11b_p
02-25-2005, 15:58
Since I broke silence blabbing in another thread thought I'd best get here and post an introduction.

My profile is posted, my member name is my initials and last duty MOS.

Been reading the discussions, experiences and history of the members posting here. Great site, I appreciate the education and the postings on newer gear, training and craft.

Roguish Lawyer
02-25-2005, 17:04
Since I broke silence blabbing in another thread thought I'd best get here and post an introduction.

My profile is posted, my member name is my initials and last duty MOS.

Been reading the discussions, experiences and history of the members posting here. Great site, I appreciate the education and the postings on newer gear, training and craft.

Welcome.

lksteve
02-25-2005, 23:03
Evidently you were influenced a lot by e.e.cummings in college.

maybe he's lazy, like someone else around here...

Rooster
02-26-2005, 12:36
Hey guys,
Im Andrew Doiron, Currently with 3PPCLI in edmonton alberta.

ender
02-26-2005, 12:49
Hi,

I'm Ryan, and I'm in 3VP too. Just here to learn from the QPs and others, and provide my own quirky insight on the odd occasion.

And thanks to the Admins for squaring my account away. Obviously, it works fine now.

Roguish Lawyer
02-26-2005, 12:51
Hi,

I'm Ryan, and I'm in 3VP too. Just here to learn from the QPs and others, and provide my own quirky insight on the odd occasion.

And thanks to the Admins for squaring my account away. Obviously, it works fine now.

Welcome, eh? ;)

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-26-2005, 16:18
Hey guys,

Welcome aboard. I had a CPT that went thru my advanced course with me at Fort Benning,GA, from Princess Pats. A great guy and terrific navigator but he took a little flack for his tan Tam. He did manage to put one of our instructors in their place when he asked what all the letters stood for. His reply, Peanuts, Popcorn, Candy, Licorice and Ice Cream. I never forgot that. Wish I could remember his name.

Jack Moroney

Roguish Lawyer
02-26-2005, 17:00
Hey guys,

http://www.army.dnd.ca/3PPCLI/

sf11b_p
02-26-2005, 17:01
Welcome.

Thanks.

NousDefionsDoc
02-26-2005, 19:29
Welcome boys. I too have known a couple of members of your unit. Enjoy the board.

Rooster
02-27-2005, 14:08
Welcome aboard. I had a CPT that went thru my advanced course with me at Fort Benning,GA, from Princess Pats. A great guy and terrific navigator but he took a little flack for his tan Tam. He did manage to put one of our instructors in their place when he asked what all the letters stood for. His reply, Peanuts, Popcorn, Candy, Licorice and Ice Cream. I never forgot that. Wish I could remember his name.

Jack Moroney

Yeah PPCLI, We tend to joke about it beeing please protect canadas little idiots. but theres lots of fun alterations to it

KYwildcat
02-27-2005, 15:57
My name is Mike M, I'm from Kentucky. I just enlisted in the KYNG as a 98H for 20th Group out of Louisville. I went to military college up north for two years, thought I wanted to commission like my old man. But that ain't for me, so I enlisted. I joined this website so I could learn from you all, and get more information for people that have already been there. You all are great people, and thank you.

Mike M

DennyL
02-28-2005, 21:37
My name is Dennis everyone calls me Denny. I am a retired Master Chief Petty Officer (E-9) who for many years rode submarines. I am now in federal law enforcement where I am a shift Sgt and the departments firearms instructor and armorer (Glock, Beretta, Remington and a few others).

I promise not to be a burden or do anyhting stupid. My son in law is a MP in DC right now, my daughter was a Combat medic for 8 years before becoming a professional MOM.

I post on a couple of other forums as Denny and Bubble Head.

Nice to meet everyone

Rubes
02-28-2005, 21:47
My name is Paul, I am 16 and live in Toronto, Canada. Being a conservative in a sickeningly liberal country, my interest in the US military usually doesn't go over well. However, I have the support of family and friends. I hope that I will be able to get a green card after graduation from high school. Assuming that happens, I still haven't decided where to go from there. The Marine Corps was my original plan... I want to get into SOF eventually though, in which the Army seems to have many more opportunities. I'm looking to join a unit similar to Britain's SAS or Canada's JTF2. SF seems to be the closest to these in their missions (except for Delta...). I haven't made up my mind about whether to pursue the Ranger or SF tab, but that's why I'm here. Anyway, I seem to be getting ahead of myself. I'll just soak up the information for awhile, asking questions only when I can't find the information on the site already.

Thanks for providing this resource! There's a lot of good stuff here...

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2005, 21:48
My name is Dennis everyone calls me Denny. I am a retired Master Chief Petty Officer (E-9) who for many years rode submarines. I am now in federal law enforcement where I am a shift Sgt and the departments firearms instructor and armorer (Glock, Beretta, Remington and a few others).

I promise not to be a burden or do anyhting stupid. My son in law is a MP in DC right now, my daughter was a Combat medic for 8 years before becoming a professional MOM.

Nice to meet everyone
Welcome aboard Master Chief

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2005, 21:52
My name is Paul, I am 16 and live in Toronto, Canada. Being a conservative in a sickeningly liberal country, my interest in the US military usually doesn't go over well. However, I have the support of family and friends. I hope that I will be able to get a green card after graduation from high school. Assuming that happens, I still haven't decided where to go from there. The Marine Corps was my original plan... I want to get into SOF eventually though, in which the Army seems to have many more opportunities. I'm looking to join a unit similar to Britain's SAS or Canada's JTF2. SF seems to be the closest to these in their missions (except for Delta...). I haven't made up my mind about whether to pursue the Ranger or SF tab, but that's why I'm here. Anyway, I seem to be getting ahead of myself. I'll just soak up the information for awhile, asking questions only when I can't find the information on the site already.

Thanks for providing this resource! There's a lot of good stuff here...

CRIP UP!

Rubes
02-28-2005, 21:55
CRIP UP!

:confused:

Sorry....but I have no idea what that means.

The Reaper
02-28-2005, 21:56

Nice to meet everyone

Welcome aboard, Master Chief!

TR

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2005, 21:58
:confused:

Sorry....but I have no idea what that means.

LOL - not what but who . Don't worry about it, I'm just horsing around. I didn't get to shoot anybody today, so my bio-rythms are a little off.

lksteve
02-28-2005, 22:06
I promise not to be a burden or do anyhting stupid.

hmmm...trying to put pressure on the rest of us, huh? ;) welcome...

zippy
02-28-2005, 22:40
I'm zippy,
I'm an old prior service fart looking to get into the NQP program with the 2/20th and I know that most of questions I have will be answered when I get there and start training. I'm just here to lurk and learn. I have read many posts on many forums about older guys going for it. I believe that if you train hard, prepare, and have the fire in the gut, the determination, then age doesn't matter........my two cents, for what it's worth. It's how I'm approaching each taget as I move down range.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
03-01-2005, 01:13
I'm zippy,
I'm an old prior service fart looking to get into the NQP program with the 2/20th and I know that most of questions I have will be answered when I get there and start training. I'm just here to lurk and learn. I have read many posts on many forums about older guys going for it. I believe that if you train hard, prepare, and have the fire in the gut, the determination, then age doesn't matter........my two cents, for what it's worth. It's how I'm approaching each taget as I move down range.

Sounds like the right attitude to me! Go for it!! :lifter :D

QRQ 30
03-01-2005, 08:30
You're only as old as you feel!! :lifter

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-01-2005, 10:23
I'm zippy,
I'm an old prior service fart .

I've got jump boots older than you. Welcome aboard young pup.

Jack Moroney

Archangel
03-01-2005, 10:43

Jack Moroney
LOL Colonel. :D

I'm zippy,

Welcome on board Scott. Hope to see you in the unit.

NousDefionsDoc
03-01-2005, 17:00
You're only as old as you feel!! :lifter
I am one-thousand today.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
03-01-2005, 18:48

Jack Moroney

LOL me too COL! Mine were brown too! (Actually cordovan.) :D

BMT (RIP)
03-01-2005, 18:56
NDD says is a thousand todat. Well I'm going to have to pull my date of birth on him!! I am 2 days older than DIRT

BMT

QRQ 30
03-01-2005, 22:43
LOL me too COL! Mine were brown too! (Actually cordovan.) :D

Mine too! However they also put a big tub of black dye on the barracks floor so we could make them black. :D

Bill Harsey
03-02-2005, 14:25
A good friend of mine from the old days is here, her name is Kim.

Welcome aboard Kim!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-02-2005, 15:15
Welcome Kim.

NousDefionsDoc
03-02-2005, 15:17
Welcome Kim

Sacamuelas
03-02-2005, 15:19
A good friend of mine from the old days is here, her name is Kim.Welcome Kim.

Radar Rider
03-02-2005, 17:26
Welcome, Kim!

alphamale
03-02-2005, 18:54
A good friend of mine from the old days is hereHello Ms. Kim, please ping (email) me!

I need some good stories on Mr. Harsey :munchin

:: rare XX collusion opportunity seized::
FrontSight

Bill Harsey
03-03-2005, 10:21
Hello Ms. Kim, please ping (email) me!

I need some good stories on Mr. Harsey :munchin

:: rare XX collusion opportunity seized::
FrontSight
Uh-oh.

Ms. Kims computer is getting just a bit of work done, she'll be along soon.

Kim
03-03-2005, 14:32
I hope I am doing this right. Soooo, some good stories about Bill. Hummm, I better wait until Bills guard is down, so I don't get to much flak from him. I'll keep in touch. Kim

Gypsy
03-03-2005, 19:11
Welcome Kim!

Sacamuelas
03-03-2005, 20:06
Welcome Kim. We will get you squared away in the med forum. I have some calls in to a few guys to see if they can give me some info to help you.

AS to the Bill Harsey tales, I talked with Bill today on the phone, and he told me to tell you that I have official clearance for any and all tales that you may have. Honest, you can trust me with all his skeletons. :D So, shoot me a PM with some grizzly details or better yet photos and grizzly details and I will go to work. :D LOL

AGain, Welcome

SFRADIOMAN
03-06-2005, 09:57
Welcome to all of you. Your thoughts and opinions are quite valuable.

SFRadioMan

booker
03-06-2005, 12:07
Hello all, first time posting although I have perused the area in the past. Currently training up for SFAS, will be hanging around in here soaking it all in. Any and all advice would be appreciated and absorbed...

Former USAR soldier (ammo), currently in NG. Shooting for an 18D...

J

QRQ 30
03-06-2005, 12:31
Welcome!
I see a lot of 18D's happily coming through the pipeline. I imagine it must be the IT field oportunities. Regardless of MOS we are all SF first. :)

Snickerdoodle
03-06-2005, 19:21
Hi all. I am Phily357's girlfriend. I want to find out all that I can to support him and help him out along the way. I'll be doing some reading now, but if anyone can think of something off the top of your head let me know! Thanks.

Kyobanim
03-06-2005, 19:34
Welcome Snicker.

but if anyone can think of something off the top of your head let me know! Thanks.
Don't give him anything to worry about while he's in the pipeline.

Team Sergeant
03-06-2005, 19:45
Don't give him anything to worry about while he's in the pipeline.

Like:
"Honey, I know you're busy doing Army Training, but you might like to know I'm pregnant with triplets.”

Welcome SnickerD. Enjoy the board.

Team Sergeant

NousDefionsDoc
03-06-2005, 19:51
Welcome one and all.