PDA

View Full Version : Some pizza?

brewmonkey
03-05-2005, 10:23
This is some pizza I made last night. The dough is a simpe recipe of 3 cups flour, 1package yeast or 2 teaspoons proofed in 1/4 cup warm water with some honey, a pinch of salt and 1 cup of warm water & 2 TBL of EVOO. If you have a stand mixer with a dough hook it is much quicker and easier.

Proof the yeast in a small bowl or ramekin and allow to proof for 5-10 minutes.

In the mixing bowl add the flour, salt & EVOO and set the speed to 1 or 2. Slowly add the water until you have added about 1/2 a cup and then add the yeast. Continue to slowly add the water until the dough pulls together and then allow the mixer to work it for 5 minutes.

If doing by hand use a large bowl and mix the dough by hand and then knead until the dough is elastic like and "silky." This means that the gluten has been properly worked and the dough is ready to rise.

Places the dough in a lightly greased bowl and allow to double in size. Punch down and cut the dough to the size needed for your stones and press out. Avoid using a rolling pin if possible.

Let the crusts rise for 20 minutes on their stones, add toppings and bake at 450-500 for 12-15 minutes. I take mine out when the cheese is just perfect. If the dough is still not done (doubtful) the stone is hot enough to continue the job without the cheese burning.

I also like to make a wheat crust where I sub 1.5 cups wheat for 1.5 flour. The wheat is higher in gluten so it may need to be kneaded a bit longer.

I forgot to add: This particular crust I used some garlic and basil in the crust. You can use almost any herbs or spices in the crust to make it flavorful.

CPTAUSRET
03-05-2005, 11:26
Looks good.

Terry

Trip_Wire (RIP)
03-05-2005, 12:23
Looks good to me! :munchin

Weazle23
03-05-2005, 13:38
Can almost smell it.
Now I'm gonna have to go to midnight chow.

Squidly
03-07-2005, 07:18
The pie looks great!. It rose and baked out evenly. Got a question: What is EVOO?

brewmonkey
03-07-2005, 18:18
Extra Virgin Olive Oil.