PDA

View Full Version : Free at last, Free at last, Thank God Almighty....

NousDefionsDoc
03-04-2005, 13:42
Attica! Attica! (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&e=2&u=/nm/20050304/ts_nm/crime_marthastewart_dc)

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Martha Stewart, the lifestyle trendsetter who built a media empire, was released from prison on Friday and began five months of house arrest as she plotted to rehabilitate her image.

"House arrest"? What the hell!

Roguish Lawyer
03-04-2005, 14:00
Free Martha Now!

Para
03-04-2005, 14:02
Here is one for our resident attorney's. She made comment to Barbara Walters that she would soon assume the leadership role of her former companies, but would not comment on how. With her conviction, she is not allowed to have that position again and the only way I could see how is if the conviction is overturned. Although, if she continues to file appeals to get the conviction overturned, is it reasonable to think that the prosecution would continue to spend the tax payers money just to keep a white collar crime conviction in place when resources could be allocated at pursueing new crimes? In a few months, they will no longer be attempting to keep her in prison/house arrest, thereby not enforcing the punishment laid down by the courts.

Roguish Lawyer
03-04-2005, 14:24
Here is one for our resident attorney's. She made comment to Barbara Walters that she would soon assume the leadership role of her former companies, but would not comment on how. With her conviction, she is not allowed to have that position again and the only way I could see how is if the conviction is overturned. Although, if she continues to file appeals to get the conviction overturned, is it reasonable to think that the prosecution would continue to spend the tax payers money just to keep a white collar crime conviction in place when resources could be allocated at pursueing new crimes? In a few months, they will no longer be attempting to keep her in prison/house arrest, thereby not enforcing the punishment laid down by the courts.

The answer to both questions that that it depends. Her future employment depends on what the order says -- maybe she can be a consultant, but not CEO, for example. The prosecutors will decide what they want to do based on chances of success, available resources, alternatives available, and the politics of the situation.

lksteve
03-04-2005, 15:24
Free Martha Now!
you can have her, i won't fight you over it...

vsvo
03-04-2005, 16:09
When she was convicted the stock price of her company, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc., was around $10. Today it's around $30. Apparently she's going to be even bigger - must be all that "street cred" she's gained. If not, at least the hype machine is already running full tilt.

Pete
03-04-2005, 16:31
I saw the subject line and thought somebody's divorce was final. Happens a lot in this line of work when you make a bad first pick. Such was mine.

My second picked me and made it quite clear there would be no more, one way or the other. Since she grew up shooting pond frogs with a .22 I'm not going to push the issue.

Pete

brewmonkey
03-04-2005, 16:44
I saw the subject line and thought somebody's divorce was final. Happens a lot in this line of work when you make a bad first pick. Such was mine.

My second picked me and made it quite clear there would be no more, one way or the other. Since she grew up shooting pond frogs with a .22 I'm not going to push the issue.

Pete

Our wives must be related. When we got married she said that it was "until death do us part" but who's and how is yet to be determined. :eek:

I went back to old habits, sleeping lightly and with a loaded firearm.

Huey14
03-05-2005, 06:01
I love how they use the word "plotted." It's an underused word these days. More people should use it.

Bill Harsey
03-05-2005, 08:52
Attica! Attica! (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&e=2&u=/nm/20050304/ts_nm/crime_marthastewart_dc)

"House arrest"? What the hell!

Us country kids here couldn't afford to pay to stay even briefly at a place like Martha's. This is punishment how? She will be granted 48 hours "out" once a week as per stated terms of her release anyway.

NousDefionsDoc
03-05-2005, 09:17
Us country kids here couldn't afford to pay to stay even briefly at a place like Martha's. This is punishment how? She will be granted 48 hours "out" once a week as per stated terms of her release anyway.
Punishment for what?

NousDefionsDoc
03-05-2005, 09:25
Incarcerate her for what?

Sigi
03-05-2005, 09:40
Cheating. She rec'd information the rest of us were not privy to, IIRC.

NousDefionsDoc
03-05-2005, 09:45
What was she convicted of?

lksteve
03-05-2005, 09:47

obstruction of justice, perjury or something like that, wasn't it...not related to the stock shenanigans...

Bill Harsey
03-05-2005, 09:50
Punishment for what?
I'm assumin' that the house arrest is intended to be her part of her sentence.

This isn't a reward so it must be punishment.

I have no idea why she really went to jail, I was commenting on the final phase of her sentence.

Bill Harsey
03-05-2005, 09:54
Wasn't it fibbing to federal investigators or federal grand jury?
I'd thought that was what she went in for because she was found not guilty of the actual charges that the feds tried to get her on.

Sigi
03-05-2005, 09:55
I believe lksteve is correct, Obstuction of Justice. She got caught lying about receiving information. Now it serves her defense well to lie, but she got caught. Big boy rules.

QRQ 30
03-05-2005, 10:01

The loss of the freedom to go where you want and when you want can be severe punishment for a free soul. My movements are restricted and sometimes it really depresses me. Be it punishment or cabin fever restriction is a pain.

I don't think the punishment fit the crime unless all of you speeders out there think you should go to jail. Traffic violations put more people at risk every day than Martha lying to the Feds.

I think some Feds are regretting their actions in this case right now. The purpose was to make an example and it seems they came out on the short end.

She still has a very lusty laugh. I wonder if she is accepting sleep-ins. :D

QRQ 30
03-05-2005, 10:33

Hmmm!! I wonder how long the line would be if all of us reported for jail.

Of course I guess the old addage applies: The only crime is in getting caucht.

As for me, I'm not throwing any stones. It's too cold to break any windows. :rolleyes:

The Reaper
03-05-2005, 11:40
Martha lied to the Fed Investigator who incidentally, was lying to her at the same time.

Parole is normally to insure that the person released from incarceration remains on good behavior and commits no further crimes.

What has her prosecution and incarceration accomplished?

What has it cost?

Would a larger fine have been a better punishment?

TR

Trip_Wire (RIP)
03-05-2005, 12:18
I thought the whole Martha Stewart thing was a big waste of time and our tax payer money! What did it really accomplish? IMHO Nothing! ;)

As for marriages and divorces:

D-1 (After 17 years)
M-2 (Currant wife for 37 years) :lifter

lksteve
03-05-2005, 12:25
Would a larger fine have been a better punishment?

something to the tune of the profits she made from her alleged insider trading?
maybe RL knows what the max fine is...i've forgotten what she could have had to pay....

QRQ 30
03-05-2005, 12:57
maybe RL knows what the max fine is...i've forgotten what she could have had to pay....

Not a profit but she avoided a loss.

Now, alla ya -- tell me what you would do if someone called you up and told you your stock was about to take a dive!!

Don't lie now!! :confused:

Team Sergeant
03-05-2005, 13:25

Now, alla ya -- tell me what you would do if someone called you up and told you your stock was about to take a dive!!

Call Martha for advice of course!

Had she admitted to insider trading she would have been fined and forgotten.
She lied to the Feds and we can all refer to her now as "Convict" :p

I'd have taken the fine, rather than earn the new title.

TS

Roguish Lawyer
03-05-2005, 13:28
Now it serves her defense well to lie

No it doesn't. The securities issues were defensible; it was her arrogance and dishonesty that got her put in jail.

Roguish Lawyer
03-05-2005, 13:30

I would have to look at the sentencing guidelines, which I do not have handy. AL probably will do it for you shortly.

All I have to say is that either her lawyers are idiots or she is an idiot for trying to hide something inconsequential.

Sigi
03-05-2005, 13:30
No it doesn't. The securities issues were defensible; it was her arrogance and dishonesty that got her put in jail.
Got it.

Roguish Lawyer
03-05-2005, 13:36
Got it.

The advice I have for all of you is never to lie to cops or prosecutors. If you are concerned about what the truth is, just don't say anything at all and get a lawyer. Don't make it worse for yourself by committing an additional crime.

NousDefionsDoc
03-05-2005, 15:14
The advice I have for all of you is never to lie to cops or prosecutors. If you are concerned about what the truth is, just don't say anything at all and get a lawyer. Don't make it worse for yourself by committing an additional crime.
That's pretty good advice there counselor.

Bill Harsey
03-05-2005, 18:55

I would take all my savings and a second mortgage on the place and invest more in the stock.

This way I wouldn't end up being talked about here.

Roguish Lawyer
03-05-2005, 19:08

Depends on who was calling and whether the information was material and nonpublic. Insider trading, even on a tip, is illegal.

QRQ 30
03-05-2005, 19:58
I believe I'd have dumped the stock but not lied about it. The only thing she was convicted of was lying. :rolleyes: