PDA

View Full Version : New shooter looking for help

GTRich
03-03-2005, 14:21
Hello all,

I posted this in the introductions, but I thought I would preface this post by re-introducing myself. I am a freshman and Army ROTC cadet. I've loved my time in ROTC, but at times I feel the training is less than adequate, and the majority of attention is paid to the third-year cadets before they go to the Leader Development and Assessment Course.

Anyway, this is the weapons forum, and my question does pertain to shooting. Seeing the Lawyer's post about .22s made me think about posting there, but I didn't want to hijack his thread. I was raised by liberal gun-hating parents. The only rifle I have ever fired was an M16 at AP Hill at an ROTC event. We only fire twice a year here, and I seriously doubt that this is enough for me to gain an adequate level of proficiency with a weapon. Even if it is, I really just want to shoot more.

Would getting a fairly inexpensive rifle help my skills with an M16? I have been told by some of my friends from more gun-friendly parts of this great nation that I should get a .22 rifle and .22 pistol, that both would be a good, inexpensive way to improve my firearm familiarity. Would this help? I was planning on taking basic rifle and pistol courses offered by the NRA anyway, but would extensive practice with civilian weapons boost my proficiency with the M16?

Peregrino
03-03-2005, 14:59
GTRich - The fundamentals of marksmanship can be learned with ANY firearm. You can even do it with airguns. The only thing you miss out on is recoil and muzzle blast while you gain on cost, simplicity, and safety. It does not matter what you shoot - the only important thing is that you shoot (a lot) and that you get competent coaching. When the time comes for you to shoot a particular rifle/pistol, you will be starting from a solid skills base (applicable to EVERYTHING) and the only thing you will have to do is learn the nuances of that weapon. (Yes - I'm setting myself up to "incite comment" from the diehards.) Does your ROTC unit have a marksmanship team? Even postal air rifle will work. Most do but I noticed your school is in DC. (You will need to check out the local laws about possesion and storage of weapons BEFORE you buy anything.) You are also within striking distance of the NRA headquarters where they have a world-class indoor range and information on all of their programs. Check out the competetive programs, especially High Power - Service Rifle if you want to learn to really shoot. The action shooting games are lots of fun but without a good grasp of fundamentals you'll get bad habits and waste time and money. Might be more info than you asked for but now you have another opinion. The good news is - at least you're trying. Good Luck - Peregrino

Bill Harsey
03-03-2005, 16:26
Peregrino, Good response.

GTRich, You have the rare chance at not developing bad habits from the start. take advantage of that.

The first habits you learn will be the hardest to change later.

vsvo
03-03-2005, 16:28
You are also within striking distance of the NRA headquarters where they have a world-class indoor range...I'll second that Peregrino. The NRA HQ range is awesome, well-lit, well-ventilated, 50 yds (of which I use all of 7 :D ).

GTRich, I just completed an NRA Basic Pistol class locally. I also know a couple of ranges that are offering courses. PM me if you'd like more info.

Steve

(edit to add: Sorry to barge in on an advice thread. Great advice Peregrino!)

GTRich
03-04-2005, 12:23
Thanks for your input.

We don't have Second Amendment rights here in the District, so I wouldn't get any sort of firearm out here, but I will be spending my summer in Washington State and Oregon, in and around Seattle and Portland. Anybody spend much time in the Pacific NW and know of some good ranges/gun clubs to get started at?

The Reaper
03-04-2005, 12:30
Thanks for your input.

We don't have Second Amendment rights here in the District, so I wouldn't get any sort of firearm out here, but I will be spending my summer in Washington State and Oregon, in and around Seattle and Portland. Anybody spend much time in the Pacific NW and know of some good ranges/gun clubs to get started at?

Thunder Ranch?

TR

Peregrino
03-04-2005, 12:43
GTRich - Go check out the NRA Hq before you lament your fate too much. They're not in the District for some of the reasons you just mentioned. Ask them about weapons storage, training, programs, etc. 6-8 weeks during the summer (which you won't have once ROTC/the military becomes a major part of your life) does not a marksman make. Besides you didn't even mention looking into the ROTC marksmanship teams. If you want to do this, you'll have to exert yourself. You get out of it what you put into it. Peregrino

bberkley
03-04-2005, 14:04
Thanks for your input.

There are many shooting ranges in the Pacific NW. From Albany, Oregon to Portland, there are: Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (http://www.arpc.info), Four Corners Rod & Gun Club (Salem) (http://www.fourcornersrodandgun.com), Chehelam Valley Sportsman Club (Dundee) (http://cvscgun.com), and Tri County Rod & Gun Club (Sherwood) (http://www.tcgc.org). Over in Bend there is Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association (http://www.oregonshooting.com), and Douglas Ridge Rifle Club (http://www.douglasridge.org) is in Eagle Creek. Further south in Oregon there are clubs in Eugene, Roseburg and Medford.

In Washington, click here (http://www.arsond.com/yp/Rifle%5Fand%5FPistol%5FRanges/Washington/results.htm).

Sinister
03-04-2005, 20:18
You can join the Virginia State Shooting Association and get involved with the Virginia State Rifle Team (do a Google search). They shoot almost every weekend from April through October at Quantico.

They will teach you how to fire an M1, M14, or M16 to 600 yards. If you buy a rifle there are several folks who will keep your rifle for you in their gun safes in Fairfax County. VSSA is a Civilian Marksmanship Program affiliate club, which will give you access to buy an M1 rifle and GI surplus ammo ( www.odcmp.com ).

The Army Rifle and Pistol Championships will be held at Fort Benning, Georgia from 12-20 March. If you're on spring break or can afford the time off from school there is an ROTC Cadet class. Soldiers learn how to shoot the M16 from 75 to 600 yards, and the M9 pistol from 25 to 7 yards. Last year's High ROTC Cadet from Texas Tech won a Secretary of the Army Trophy M1 Garand Rifle. Contact Mr. Mike Behnke at michael.behnke@usaac.army.mil if interested.

The Atlantic Fleet and All-Navy Matches are held at Dam Neck, Virginia Beach in the spring (usually May. See www.usnst.org ).

If you are in Washington over the summer there are several clubs that offer highpower rifle competition. Paul Bunyan Shooting Club and Range in Puyallup is near Tacoma.

If you are still in DC for summer school you can shoot as an individual shooter in the Interservice Rifle Championships at Quantico in July.

The National Matches at Camp Perry (usually the first week of August) offers the Small Arms Firing School and the National Trophy Matches. These are opportunites to earn a President's Hundred tab and Army Excellence-in-Competition shooting badges.

Good luck.

rubberneck
03-04-2005, 20:46
Would getting a fairly inexpensive rifle help my skills with an M16? I have been told by some of my friends from more gun-friendly parts of this great nation that I should get a .22 rifle and .22 pistol, that both would be a good, inexpensive way to improve my firearm familiarity.

If your profile is correct you won't be legally able to own a firearm until September. Likewise many ranges or training centers won't let you particiapte till then unless you are accompanied by some over 21. Do your homework first. Nothing would stink more than to get to a range and be turned away because your only 20.

Ambush Master
03-04-2005, 22:49
[B]If your profile is correct you won't be legally able to own a firearm until September. Likewise many ranges or training centers won't let you particiapte till then unless you are accompanied by some over 21. Do your homework first. Nothing would stink more than to get to a range and be turned away because your only 20.

Wrong !!! You can own a "Long Gun/Shotgun at 18 per ATF Regs !! State laws may intercede, but the "21" requirement only applies to "Handguns". The 21 law can be legally circumvented with a signed letter from the "Parent or Guardian" of record, authorizing the minor to have, in possesion, or use a handgun or handgun ammunition. I'll check, but I believe that the same applies to someone under 18 for Long Guns.

Bill Harsey
03-05-2005, 08:15
Thunder Ranch?

TR
Thunder Ranch is now here in Oregon.

Welcome to Oregon Clint!

The Reaper
03-05-2005, 08:23
Thunder Ranch is now here in Oregon.

Welcome to Oregon Clint!

Mr. Harsey, if you bump into him, he would be a nice addition to the board here.

TR

Bill Harsey
03-05-2005, 08:31
Mr. Harsey, if you bump into him, he would be a nice addition to the board here.

TR
I'll try calling him this weekend and extend the invite.

Noel
03-25-2005, 17:33
Mr. Harsey,

Please do try to contact Clint. I have 7-8 classes from him and consider him a modern-day samurai.

If we could read more of his thoughts on any topic I, for one, am sure I would benefit.

Besides, when he gets wound up into a rant on any topic that he is passionate about it is a phenomena worth watching.

Bill Harsey
03-25-2005, 23:15
Noel, Thanks for the bump.
I'll try again, I spoke with his wife and I don't think he's had time to catch his breath yet from the move.