03-02-2005, 17:01
Anyone have an pro/con opinions or experience with this AR-15 upper? :munchin

http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=DSARGTC16&storeid=1&image=GTCupper.gif

Smokin Joe
03-02-2005, 17:11
Nope but send it to me and I will give it a through review for you. :D

bberkley
03-02-2005, 17:41
HK announced an operating rod upper for the M4 platform last year I believe. I haven't seen the HK version for sale to the general public. I would be very interested in not having to scrape all that carbon off my bolt/bolt carrier assembly.

I would also be happy to test it for you. :)

The Reaper
03-02-2005, 18:19
The H&K was out two years ago.

I understand that they were sued by Colt's over it.

The DSA upper looks nice, but at $975 a pop, when a complete rifle from most manufacturers (except Colt's) is less than that, I would not expect to sell too many of them.

TR

Peregrino
03-03-2005, 22:57
Saca - I looked it over pretty hard at the SHOT Show. The January issue of Shotgun News had a cover photo and article about it that got my curiosity up so I checked it out. No opportunity to shoot it but the sales guy raved about it (of course). I also spoke with another manufacturer (to remain nameless) that gave it passing marks too. It's actually manufactured by Patriot Ordnance Factory and marketed by DSA. Personally I like the concept and this one appears fairly well done. There was talk of a couple minor tweaks (return spring on the piston) but everybody seemed pleased with it. It is similar to the HK 416 which we may never see on the market (thanks Colt). You wouldn't believe how defensive the HK rep was when I asked him about it - glad I didn't get annoyed and that I took the time to calm him down. Apparently it's a very sore subject and he/they don't like being put on the spot. Can't say I blame him really. Another rifle with a similar operating system that I looked at was the Robinson XCR. If I decide to play with a 6.8 carbine that's the direction I'll probably go. Before anybody asks - no I'm not putting kids through college so I can (sometimes) afford to indulge my curiosity. Keeping the extra gas out of the mechanism appeals to me. Another place that it might work really well is with a suppressed weapon, maybe reduce some of the blowback caused by the backpressure from the suppressor. Just a thought. Peregrino