PDA

View Full Version : Good Music

Roguish Lawyer
03-01-2005, 14:11
OK, time to stir up some discussion.

Good music.

Name some bands/singers you like.
Pick one you've liked a long time, and one you've just discovered.
What was the first concert you ever went to?
What was the best concert you ever went to?
If you've played any musical instruments, name them.
And anything else music-related is OK too.

:munchin

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-01-2005, 15:03
Beethoven's 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th
Brahms 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Wagner's Operas
Mendelsohn
Strauss (Johann)
Lee Greenwood.

Jack Moroney

Sdiver
03-01-2005, 15:38
Beethoven's 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th
Brahms 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Wagner's Operas
Mendelsohn
Strauss (Johann)

Jack Moroney

Those were the 1st concerts you went to? You didn't happen to get Ludwig's autograph did you ? :D (j/k sir)

Favorite music for me, depends on what type of mood I'm in.

jatx
03-01-2005, 15:39
I'm partial to singer/songwriters, and have been listening to the following lately:

Alejandro Escovedo
David Gray

Harder/older stuff I still like:

Pixies
Social Distortion
Yo La Tengo
Big Head Todd & the Monsters

Guilty pleasure:

Tenacious D

First concert:

Huey Lewis & the News/Cheap Trick in Oklahoma City, 1985

Air.177
03-01-2005, 15:51
OK, time to stir up some discussion.

Good music.

Lately I've been listening to all kinds of stuff, From Bobby Horton's version of "Garry Owen" to The Spin Doctors' "Little Miss can't be wrong"

I really like Ibrahim Ferrier and Maroon Five, with a Myriad of others that just work, based on mood.

First Concert was Dave Matthews at Texas Stadium, Summer 2000 I believe.

Best Concert, Ibrahim Ferrier and the Buena Vista Social Club at Bass Hall in Ft. Worth, 3rd row orchestra pit, It was sweeeet.

I meddled in playing the bass for a little while, but quickly burned out.

Razor
03-01-2005, 16:24
Another Social D fan--good on ya, jtax!

Sacamuelas
03-01-2005, 16:33

Alabama for semi-modern type country music band and George Jones and some of Willie's stuff for old school. Dave mathews and John mayer for rock/pop/alternative. I tend to like the acoustical stuff of the modern bands. I like anyone that can sit down, play an instrument and SING. Nora jones comes to mind now that I type that.

Eagles... I haven't discovered anyone in a long time. John Mayer back a few years ago at "Memphis in May" concert.

First concert.??? I honestly can't remember. It was a LONG TIME ago.

Tie between Metallica (and justice for all tour) and The Eagles in the Superdome. Jimmy Buffet, Dave Mathews, and James Taylor ( thats right James Taylor :D ) are a tight second in concerts.

No instruments played, took guitar lessons for a while... Changed my AO and then never started back taking the lessons.

jatx
03-01-2005, 16:34
Another Social D fan--good on ya, jtax!

It's still hard to beat an 18 y.o. Mike Ness belting out "Atom Bomb"!

vsvo
03-01-2005, 16:37
Best concert, every time we go to Wolf Trap (http://www.wolf-trap.org/foundation/what.html). Bring a tarp, blanket, wine, munchies, pick a spot on the Lawn, and you're GTG.

I played drums...uhh, percussion, in the junior high band. Never went to band camp.

Can we also do your best karaoke song? :)

Roguish Lawyer
03-01-2005, 16:45
Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Santana, B.B. King, Scorpions among my favorites

Maroon 5, The Offspring and Limp Bizkit are more recent

First concert was Pat Benatar

Best concert was "Monsters of Rock" with Van Halen, Scorpions, Metallica, and a couple of others

Played alto sax and keyboards, but not well

Roguish Lawyer
03-01-2005, 16:47

You start. :munchin

ghostinashell
03-01-2005, 17:10
johnny cash, david allen coe, hank williams sr & jr

miles davis, john coltrane, charlie mingus

pixies, social d, the clash

best concert i have seen was cash at hammerstein ballroom

Swindleous
03-01-2005, 17:12
Best concert, every time we go to Wolf Trap (http://www.wolf-trap.org/foundation/what.html). Bring a tarp, blanket, wine, munchies, pick a spot on the Lawn, and you're GTG.

I played drums...uhh, percussion, in the junior high band. Never went to band camp.

Gonna have to agree with you there, I saw Yes at Wolftrap a couple years ago with a full orchestra playing with them, and it was an amazing show. I'd only ever heard one Yes song prior to the concert, and I listen to them all the time now :D

I like an awful lot of bands, but I've liked Aerosmith for a really long time, and recently discovered some older stuff by Journey that I really like.

SnafuRacer
03-01-2005, 17:26
I like listenning to andalusian moroccan music ( Bajedoub and Souiri are cultural icons) and some arabic trance/techno.
For the occidental stuff, I like the Eagles and Metallica. I'm one of the guys that "discovered" them during the Napster affair.
Only concert I've ever been to, was Kansas. I wouldn't mind going to a Pink Floyd concert if they get back (I hope they won't take as long as the Eagles).
Anybody watched the performance of the Australian Pink Floyd (http://www.aussiefloyd.com/) ?

For classical, my favorites are Beethoven ( 5th and 9th), Brahms and Schubert.

vsvo
03-01-2005, 18:26
You start. :munchin
LOL. You wouldn't recognize any of my stuff, unless you ventured down to the cafes in Orange County (not the ritzy, bad-TV-show area, but the other side). Besides, my efforts cannot even be remotely classified as "music-related." :D

Roguish Lawyer
03-01-2005, 18:29
LOL. You wouldn't recognize any of my stuff, unless you ventured down to the cafes in Orange County (not the ritzy, bad-TV-show area, but the other side).

Be more specific. I used to live and work there and know it better than you might think. :munchin

alphamale
03-01-2005, 18:42
- Favorite (most in-depth) music website: http://www.allmusic.com/

- I listen to whatever my friends tell me to listen to. (see Mr. Harsey, I *can* be obedient!! :D )

- I just downloaded "Clocks" by Coldplay to use as a ringtone on my cell phone

- Favorite concert: When a guy I loved took me to see George Winston at a live performance of maybe 60 people total

I play the piano. At first it was the result of a parental negotiation (practicing the piano for 2 hours instead of doing certain chores). Then I really got into it.

FrontSight

aricbcool
03-01-2005, 18:43
I'm pretty big into epic soundtracks. Favorites include:

Conan the Barbarian
Gladiator (& more music from...)
13th Warrior
Black Hawk Down
Passion of the Christ
Braveheart (& more music from...)
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Band of Brothers
...you get the idea.

For older main-stream, I like:

The Eagles (favorite song is Hotel California)
Simon & Garfunkle
James Taylor
ZZ Top
Bad Company
Steve Miller

For recent main-stram, I like:

Linkin Park
Counting Crows
Toby Keith
Evanescence
Godsmack
Rob Thomas

First concert was James Taylor. Went with my Dad when I was 11 or 12.

I play guitar, some piano, and sometimes fiddle around with my violin. :D

--Aric

Hooahman
03-01-2005, 20:01
Bands I love.

Ween
Paul Van Dyk
Sisters Of Mercy
Social D
Pixies
Dead Can Dance
Wolf Gang Press
Doors
Stones
Floyd
Ten Years After
etc...

Best concert I have seen.

Jethro Tull (Out doors)

First concert.

The Monkeys with opening act Wierd Al

Also depends on the mood.

Razor
03-01-2005, 20:21
Favorite karaoke song? That have to be Jimmy Buffet's "Why Don't We Get Drunk...", followed by the traditional Irish drinking song "Whiskey in the Jar".

Gypsy
03-01-2005, 20:30
followed by the traditional Irish drinking song "Whiskey in the Jar".

I used to manage a local Irish band...that is one of my all time favorites. They'd rock the house with that tune and several others.

vsvo
03-01-2005, 21:03
Be more specific. I used to live and work there and know it better than you might think. :munchinSorry, I meant Little Saigon. Have you been in those smoky cafes? :munchin

NousDefionsDoc
03-01-2005, 21:07
Soledad Bravo
Guillermo Portabales
Ricky Van Shelton
Wagner
Pink
Depeche Mode
Traditional Shakuhachi
Joss Stone
Johnny Rodriguez
Willie Nelson

Roguish Lawyer
03-01-2005, 21:36
Sorry, I meant Little Saigon. Have you been in those smoky cafes? :munchin

No. But I believe the smoke.

I know a good Vietnamese place in Santa Ana near the Westminster border, but I have yet to try the Vietnamese places in Little Saigon. It's on my list of things to do eventually, though.

Viking
03-02-2005, 06:22
Keni Thomas (3/75 Somalia) just released a CD.

Roguish Lawyer
03-02-2005, 06:43

Second link has samples.

http://www.countryweekly.com/stories/feature/62846

http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/thomas__keni/855096/album.jhtml

Huey14
03-02-2005, 07:17
There are three bands in this world, and no others.

AC/DC.

Iron Maiden.

Black Sabbath.

(I'm going to Neil Diamond on Saturday. Shoud be good.)

Goggles Pizano
03-02-2005, 08:55
It depends upon my mood at the time but I will listen to just about anything except Rap (makes my teeth hurt).

No new discoveries, I prefer to remain simply a Rock fan.
First concert-The Roundup at JFK staduim in Philly 1980. The entire parking lot was nothing but Harleys.
Best concert was the Doobie Brothers reunion tour of 86 in Tacoma.
I play a mean air guitar though! :p

504PIR
03-02-2005, 09:04
Some of my favorites:

Warren Zevon
Waylon Jennings
Johnny Cash
Elvis

Non-deceased artists
Jimmy Buffet
AC/DC
Foghat
Montgumry Gentry
Rolling Stones
Toby Keith

1st Concert Charlie Danials Band at the Missouri State Fair I was 10?

vsvo
03-02-2005, 09:53
I know a good Vietnamese place in Santa Ana near the Westminster border, but I have yet to try the Vietnamese places in Little Saigon. It's on my list of things to do eventually, though.
If you ever get a hankering, here are some rec's:

Pagolac Restaurant (http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=9578944&ck=367655609&tab=B2C&tcat=8903827&city=Westminster&state=CA&uzip=92683&country=us&msa=5945&cs=4&ed=IP5ea61o2Ty4y.rjKTeyXhHeFbbAfouwnfMgQBTdDL2xgg--&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:1:fbT:0) - Beef Seven Ways, a signature Vietnamese dish with seven courses, these guys do a great job.

Favori Restaurant (http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=9586708&ck=9503446&tab=B2C&tcat=8903827&city=Santa+Ana&state=CA&uzip=92701&country=us&msa=5945&cs=4&ed=UhKQrK1o2TwxVxgB9P0p6Bg8hk5B1vjo33oQoUpx7_wWxQ--&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:1:fbT:0) - The grilled fish (the whole fish, they bring it out on a platter) is unreal, there's usually a line though, no reservations.

Lee's Sandwiches (http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=21324433&ck=2859482277&tab=B2C&tcat=8304911&city=Santa+Ana&state=CA&uzip=92701&country=us&msa=5945&cs=4&ed=UhKQrK1o2TwxVxgB9P0p6Bg8hk5B1vjo33oQoUpx7_wWxQ--&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:7:fbT:0) - For a quick lunch takeout this is my favorite. Two locations, open 24 hrs, and they bake their own baguettes on site. Check out the menu, any one of the sandwiches is awesome.

Before I started school we used to go out there every summer for a hair show at LAX. On hold this year until I figure out what my summers look like.

CPTAUSRET
03-02-2005, 10:10
I like Jack Moroney's picks.

I like Buddy Holly, Eagles, Steve Miller band.

Anybody ever heard of a "punk rock" band called The Descendents?

Terry

Roguish Lawyer
03-02-2005, 13:37
If you ever get a hankering, here are some rec's:

Favori Restaurant (http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=9586708&ck=9503446&tab=B2C&tcat=8903827&city=Santa+Ana&state=CA&uzip=92701&country=us&msa=5945&cs=4&ed=UhKQrK1o2TwxVxgB9P0p6Bg8hk5B1vjo33oQoUpx7_wWxQ--&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:1:fbT:0) - The grilled fish (the whole fish, they bring it out on a platter) is unreal, there's usually a line though, no reservations.

This is the one I mentioned earlier. Maybe they have more than one.

vsvo
03-02-2005, 13:54
This is the one I mentioned earlier. Maybe they have more than one.Cool - That's the only location I know about.

Brother Rat
03-02-2005, 15:50
Anybody ever heard of a "punk rock" band called The Descendents?

Yes sir.

CPTAUSRET
03-02-2005, 15:57
Yes sir.

Then you would know of my son-in law, Milo.

Terry

DunbarFC
03-02-2005, 16:02
Name some bands/singers you like. - U2 , Depeche Mode, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis, Sinatra

What was the first concert you ever went to? - Boston, Worcester Centrum 1986

What was the best concert you ever went to? - Both Bruce Springsteen shows I've been to. The first I was in the 5th row and got a nice high five from Bruce as he charged through the crowd.

If you've played any musical instruments, name them. - I'm an air guitar master

Music related notes - I met the Rolling Stones when they used a studio at my old job to rehearse. Mick Jagger was a super guy and Keith is indeed a zombie

CPTAUSRET
03-02-2005, 19:04
Then you would know of my son-in law, Milo.

Terry

http://popped.ifihadahifi.com/descendents/miloessay.html

Gypsy
03-02-2005, 19:25

A couple of years ago Keni cut a 3 song CD. Song #1 is Back Home and was inspired by the movie "We Were Soldiers...". #2 is Crimson White and Indigo which is dedicated to Casey Joyce who died in combat on 3 October 93. #3 is Band of Brothers, dedicated to the men of TFR. I ordered it through his band's website and he inscribed the CD with a personal message in response to mine. It's a touching CD.

Weazle23
03-03-2005, 12:04
I'm a long time Dave Matthews fan.

Best concert was Dave Matthew's Band at the Gorge Amphitheater overlooking the mighty Columbia River in arid central Washington in the summer of 2000. A bunch of us stayed at a friends cabin nearby...very good times...

Have always liked :
Alice in Chains
AudioSlave
Gomez
Soul Coughing
and multiple others

Some newfound favorites:
The Postal Service
Maroon 5
Dashboard Confessionals
Death Cab for Cutie
Chevelle
Switchfoot
Crossfade
Danny Godinez Band
Elliot Smith
Gavin DeGraw
Guster
Hoobastank
Jimmy Eat World
Muse
Powderfinger
Seether
Vendetta Red

MAB32
03-03-2005, 16:29
First concert was "Steppenwolf".

Favorites are:

Steppenwolf
Iron Butterfly
Traffic
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Jefferson Airplane
The Doors
Spirit
Santana (early)
Buffalo Springfield
CSN & Y
Steve Miller (early)
Audience
Bloodrock
Ted Nugent & Amboy Dukes
Tommy James and The Shondelles
The James Gang
Sugarloaf
Led Zepplin
King Crimson
Motown & any AM tunes from the 60-'s to 1971
Blind Faith
Big Brother & The Holding Company
The Allman Brothers (early)
Cream
Chicago Transit Authority
Spooky Tooth

And the list could go on & on...

uboat509
03-04-2005, 05:37
I got an IPOD Mini for Christmas and have just been downloading whatever I feel like listening to at the moment but there are some definiate trends. I have a lot of Dropkick Murphys and a lot of electronic music.
The first concert I ever went to was Iron Maiden. It was their Seventh Son of a Seventh Son tour and my brother took me as a birthday present.
The best concert I ever went to was when I went to see the Dropkick Murphys in a little club in Hawaii. The opening bands sucked so bad that even the stage chargers were ignoring them. Then the Murphys came out and the place just went crazy.

SFC W

Air.177
03-05-2005, 17:41
I just picked up a couple of Flogging Molly CDs and they are pretty damn good.

Pandora
03-05-2005, 21:03
First concert was Steve Miller Band at the PNE in Vancouver, summer of 1977 or 1978. Sordid story - 8 uninitiated teen girls find large full baggie on the aud. floor whilst never-before-seen green lasers highlight "Fly Like an Eagle". Night to be remembered without ever being repeated. :eek:

Music is salvation. Headphones rank way up there with the printing press as the greatest inventions of the 1900's. Beloved respite!!!!!!!

Currently playing : Peter Gabriel's Hit or Miss - Solsbury Hill.

Always appropriate regardless of mood: Joe Satriani's - Always With You, Always With Me - hauntingly beautiful

Favoutite music of all time... coming home at the end of the day and hearing The Warrior bashing away on the Tama's and Zilldjian's playing some wild paradiddles and combos (usual ly Peart-like) in the studio while I pour vino, cook and wash away the grime of the day.

Shooters should be drummers, too: RIGHT - tap... tap-tap LEFT tap-tap... tap

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-06-2005, 09:46
We do not get very good reception up here in the Green Mountains and those stations we usually get would make the left coast look like the bastion of patriotism. Sunday mornings find me downstairs in my workout area where I tune in to one of the few stations to provide me some background diversion while I grunt and groan. During the 0900-1100 block they have an oldies but goodies broadcast and take requests. Now I normally do not do the request thing but today they were playing all the 60s protest songs. So, I called, asked them to put the Ballad of the Green Beret on. They guy sort of hesitiated and said, "Well, why not?" Two things happened after he played it. One, which was expected, was his strong statement that this was a request to deflect the phone calls I know he probably got. The second was my wife's voice calling down asking why Sadler didn't have another verse about the young wife waiting for that rucksack of dirty laundry and ....., well you know the rest. :D

Jack Moroney

Kyobanim
03-06-2005, 09:56
Name some bands/singers you like. - Rippingtons, Chicago, Night Ranger, Spys (the one that split from Foreigner), Parlament Funkadelic

Pick one you've liked a long time, and one you've just discovered. - Chicago, Green Day

What was the first concert you ever went to? - 3 Dog Night

What was the best concert you ever went to? - Chicago and the original Steely Dan in '71

If you've played any musical instruments, name them. - Piano:classical and jazz, Bass, Keyboards, Voice

And anything else music-related is OK too. - played professionally 80 to 85.

Silly picture, I'm in there somewhere.

Roguish Lawyer
03-06-2005, 13:06

Please, Lord, let it be true! ;)

SACA! :munchin

dennisw
03-06-2005, 13:13
first concert : Jefferson Airplane / greatful dead : around 1968 : anaheim, ca

actually wore wingtip shoes to concert

Best concert : Moody blues, long beach, ca: grand funk railroad : Linda ronstat, jackson brown, eagles (waikiki shell)

side note: Lincoln Park gave $75K to Special Warrior Foundation

Saw Hendrix at l.a. forum

Kyobanim
03-06-2005, 13:58
Please, Lord, let it be true! ;)

SACA! :munchin

There's only 2 people on this board who could possibly have a clue as to which one is me and they'll both love to watch the speculation.

Roguish Lawyer
03-06-2005, 14:01
There's only 2 people on this board who could possibly have a clue as to which one is me and they'll both love to watch the speculation.

OK, we're going to have to have a separate thread for this. :eek: :D

BryanK
06-18-2008, 14:09
Too many people/bands/groups to mention, but they range from Beethoven to Crobar. I play drums, and the first "real" concert I went to was Ozzfest at Nissan Pavillion in 2000. Best concert was a tie between the aforementioned, and a Korn/Stained concert at Baltimore Arena (First Mariner).

The Reaper
06-18-2008, 14:41
Holy necropost, Batman!:eek:

TR

BryanK
06-18-2008, 16:16
Yes Sir. I was searching the threads for drums, and found this. Though belated. It's a good thread. My reason for the search was to see if any QP's played drums so I could put to rest the misconception that the drummer is the "dumb" one.

Philkilla
06-18-2008, 16:29
A drummer is only as dumb as his beats.

Best concert I ever saw, Slayer on Halloween of 2001. I got fired from my job over that.

I play guitar. Ten years and counting..and I prefer/love music that would make the seasoned vets here sick most likely.

Classical and Opera are extremely soothing/enchanting/relaxing/and mesmerizing for me though. I could never be locked into one type of music when there is so much incredible material to absorb.

And for the record, my favorite type(s) of music is brutal death metal/jazz. (Yes, they do fall in the same categories)

Gypsy
06-18-2008, 18:52
And anything else music-related is OK too. - played professionally 80 to 85.

Ahaaaa! I knew it! I thought I was going crazy. Quite a while ago I made mention in another thread (no idea which one) about this picture of you and you denied remembering it... :munchin This is it!

Thanks to BryanK for reviving the thread. :D

BryanK
06-19-2008, 11:01
Originally posted by Philkilla:
A drummer is only as dumb as his beats.

This is the basis for the statement about the misconception of drummers being dumb, lol. http://www.drumjokes.com/

MVS2
06-19-2008, 16:55
Rage Against the Machine
A Tribe Called Quest
AC/DC
Sammy Hagar
Blackstar
Sam Roberts
Harry Connick, Jr.
Chevelle
Billy Idol - fun
Prince
any Classical is nice

Recently discovered - The Tragically Hip - Country, Rock, Blues, Alternative Blend - Very worth listening to, and I think some Christian Rock is getting a little more tolerable.

Was at Smoke and Grooves a long time ago - not bad.

Zach_Austin_TX
06-19-2008, 17:29
I can't believe no one ever mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn.

afromatic75
06-19-2008, 22:40
Iron Maiden, Johann Pachelbel, Zox, Bob Marley, The Hendrix Experiment, Eric Johnson, REM

.....Staind, Pearl Jam

...first REAL concert, Bob Dylan '07

...haven't to it yet, but it'll be the G3.

...guitar, piano, ukulele,

Swamp
06-20-2008, 12:52
Buckwheat Zydeco, BB King, Stevie Ray, Rush, ZZ Top, U2, Ted Nugent

Van Morrison/ Tea Leaf Green

Doobie Brothers (farewell)

U2 in Las Vegas @ the MGM

BryanK
06-26-2008, 15:42
Good on ya Tim.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=8529743

echoes
06-26-2008, 16:39
Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, Santana, B.B. King, Scorpions among my favorites...

Rock-On RL!!! :cool:
Am sure you have passed on your excellent taste in music to others!

Favorite of all time...RUSH.

Holly

FMF DOC
06-26-2008, 18:33
Current: 3 Doors Down, Maroon Five, Trace Adkins

Blast from the past: Tom Petty

Fist Concert: Meatloaf Bat Out Hell

Best Concert: Reba McIntire and Arron Tippin New River Air Station, NC

Can really listen to just about anything, must be getting old I was downloading music from Enya th other day.

Sweetbriar
06-26-2008, 19:14
As I opened this thread, Jesse Winchester began to play on my MacBook. It sounds just like an AM radio and for a minute I was 17 again in a hot Memphis summer.

Looking thru my iTunes, I don't seem to have favourites, unless you can think of old Oxford American Southern Samplers as favourites. I seem to prefer acoustic guitar and the lyric driven. I'll take some of your lists and go rummaging to see what goodies I can find. Thanks, boys.

H8Leech
06-26-2008, 19:39
Pantera!
Meshuggah - Chaosphere, Nothing and Obzen albums
God Forbid - To the Fallen Heros
Testament - The Gathering album

82ndtrooper
06-26-2008, 20:03
Older bands I loved.

1. Toto

2. Heart

3. CS&N

4. Motley Crue

5. Quite Riot

6. Cinderella

7. Journey

8. John Waite

9. Ted Nugent.

10. Van Halen/both Dave and Sammy made great contributions to the band.

That's just a partial list.

First concert ever attended was Little Feet at Northern Kentucky University's gym.

Last concert was Scott Stapp at House of Blues in Cleveland, Ohio. and most recently Van Halen with Diamond Dave. Possibly the worst show that I've ever seen. Dave now sings every song as if he's in a lounge in Vegas and Wolfgang looks like his mother with about 100 Lps more weight with a bass guitar.

New music.

None. :cool:

hunteran
06-29-2008, 11:36
Buckwheat Zydeco, BB King, Stevie Ray, Rush, ZZ Top, U2, Ted Nugent

I saw BB King on the 26th of June, best 20 bucks I've ever spent.

In terms of bands/singers I like, I think I'd have to say that my favorite right now is a toss up between Dire Straits and Pink Floyd. Absolutely love those bands. I also like Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, 3 Doors Down, Weezer, and just about anything that falls into the classic rock/rock categories.

greenberetTFS
07-01-2008, 16:20
The sounds of that early decade broke ground with groups like The Penquins,Coasters,Platters,Little Anthony & the Imperials,Drifters and Sam Cooke just to name a few....They opened the door for what was the beginning of R & B...

Kyobanim
07-01-2008, 16:37
Older bands I loved.

1. Toto

2. Heart

3. CS&N

4. Motley Crue

5. Quite Riot

6. Cinderella

7. Journey

8. John Waite

9. Ted Nugent.

10. Van Halen/both Dave and Sammy made great contributions to the band.

That's just a partial list.

First concert ever attended was Little Feet at Northern Kentucky University's gym.

Last concert was Scott Stapp at House of Blues in Cleveland, Ohio. and most recently Van Halen with Diamond Dave. Possibly the worst show that I've ever seen. Dave now sings every song as if he's in a lounge in Vegas and Wolfgang looks like his mother with about 100 Lps more weight with a bass guitar.

New music.

None. :cool:

I don't care what people say, the 80's produced some excellent bands and music. Great list!

Richard
07-01-2008, 16:39
Concerts I went to:

Jimi Hendrix - Sacramento
Sonny and Cher - Sacramento
Janis Joplin - San Francisco
Doobie Brothers - Savannah
Tommy James and the Shondels - Carolina Beach
Garth Brooks - Dallas
Willy Nelson - Irving

Songs I like:

In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Knockin' On Heavan's Door - Eric Clapton
Cocaine - Eric Clapton
Theme from "Last of the Mohicans"
O' Mio Bambino Caro - Dame Kiri Te Kanawa
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
Drive - Alan Jackson
I Still Haven't Found What I've Been Looking For - U2
Coming to America - Neil Diamond
Cherry Bomb - John Mellencamp
Tomorrow Belongs to Me - Song from "Cabaret"
Night Moves - Bob Seger
Non je ne regrette rien - Edith Piaf

And way too many more to bore y'all with...

Richard :munchin

Dad
07-01-2008, 18:52
The sounds of that early decade broke ground with groups like The Penquins,Coasters,Platters,Little Anthony & the Imperials,Drifters and Sam Cooke just to name a few....They opened the door for what was the beginning of R & B...

now that is music I love. Add in Ben E King

frostfire
07-01-2008, 21:13
for the classical aficionado , new modern (especially soundtrack) composer can make some stunning music as well. I recently discovered Craig Armstrong
Here's one of his work, "Escape" to the scenes of 300 (copy and paste)youtube.com/watch?v=ZtDe03HzOEw

Penn
08-03-2008, 14:18
PBS special on Johnny Cash Tuesday, 10PM. Doc’s him at the height of his career. Should be a great show.

Rapid
08-03-2008, 14:37
I listen to so much music that it's not even funny. All genres and from all decades. There are a lot of artists who have views I'm completely against, but I still enjoy their music (even if it's in the music itself, such as with RATM).

A few of the artists I like listening to...

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Bad Company
Bad Religion
Black Sabbath / Ozzy
Blue Oyster Cult
Blur
Boston
Chicago
Collective Soul
Def Leppard
Deftones
Dire Straits
Disturbed
Drowning Pool
Elvis Presley
Ennio Morricone
Eric Clapton
Green Day
Guns N' Roses
Juno Reactor
Led Zeppelin
Lynryd Skynryd
Manic Street Preachers
Michael Jackson
Muse
Placebo
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Red Hot Chili Peppers
REM
Rise Against
Simon & Garfunkel
The Beatles
The Kinks
The Offspring
The Police / Sting
The Prodigy
The Rolling Stones
The White Stripes
ZZ Top
Etc...

vsvo
08-04-2008, 17:13
Yay, I get to listen to music again, after two months of bar review lectures playing on an endless loop in my iPod. Duffy is good, she's like Amy Winehouse without all the wackiness.

Lately, it seems like all the music I get to listen to is Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and Camp Rock. My wife, my sisters and their kids are heading up to Baltimore (Balmer, hon) this week to see Jonas Brothers in concert. I don't know who is more excited, my wife or my 10-year-old niece.:eek::D

KW9598
08-04-2008, 17:53
Name some bands/singers you like:
Pink Floyd, The Doors, Peter Frampton, CSN&Y, Neil Young, Santana, U2, The Beatles, Genesis

Honestly havent discovered any lately that I really liked, ok Jake Loggins Band (local)

AC/DC- Columbus, Ohio 1980 (age 13)

3- #1 Pink Floyd- Hockenheim Ring, Germany (Division Bell 1994)
#2 Neil Young- some castle courtyard in Germany (93 timeframe)
#3 Peter Frampton- Walnut Creek, NC

Air guitar

GratefulCitizen
08-17-2008, 09:55
Name some bands/singers you like:

Generally have enjoyed '80s "hair bands"/pop metal/some heavy metal.

-AC/DC.
-Haven't discovered any recently.

Def Leppard Hysteria in the round, Tesla was the opening act.
Got stage level seats on one of the near sides.
Québec City, June, 1988 (age 16).

Played the french horn for a couple of years 7th-8th grade.
Starting playing the piano at age 7.
Took formal lessons from ages 8-16 (mostly classical).

SF question: has anyone heard of the connection between listening to Baroque music and learning foreign languages?

A search yielded two references:
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=98747&postcount=27
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=125611&postcount=33

I heard anecdotes of the effectiveness with BYU students when studying languages for their missionary work.

This is not in reference to the "Mozart effect" on IQ, but rather to the "supermemory effect" of Baroque music.

H8Leech
09-21-2008, 17:22
www.mp3.com/artist/leech link to a few of my heavy metal songs ive made since ive been in the course, hopefully me and a drummer friend( going through the pipeline as well) can get a few shows while we are here.. thanks for listening

msgec
09-21-2008, 18:51

H8Leech
09-21-2008, 19:49
there are a few death metal shows me and some bros are hitting up in Dec . Origin and Nile I know are going to be playing. I heard one of the cadre when I went threw CLT had a metal band . think the name was NEW MACHINE. anyone know of them or any other details?

TOMAHAWK9521
09-21-2008, 21:27
Good music.

1. All Classical Music ie:Ralph Von Williams, Aaron Copeland, Mahler, Handel; most country; classic rock; some heavy metal.
2. Columbus Symphony
3. Ted Nugent
4. Played Trombone in HS
5. Sang bass in HS and college. Bagpipe tunes. Also have a thing for movie soundtracks with good war music.

Electron
09-22-2008, 12:27
This is a good one...

http://bielerbros.com/media_player.php?vid=12&artist=1

I like modern metal like Godsmack, Nonpoint, Creed and Mudvayne; heavy 70's rock like Zeppelin, Nugent, Deep Purple and bands like that. My first concert was Ted Nugent. It was going to be Led Zeppelin, but the tour was cancelled because John Bonham died. I built an FM transmitter and broadcast music (I have 230 GB of music) when I deploy. I like most music with a lot of energy.

Go Devil
09-22-2008, 13:16
I'm not intending to hi-jack this thread, but you music lovers would do yourselves well to check out http://www.last.fm/home

You type in any artist that you are interested in and it will generate similar artists in a playlist that will run all day long without interruptions.
Good stuff without downloading 'jack'.

Townes Vanzandt, Uncle Toupelo, Jay Farrar, and Richard Buckner are the ones I end up listening to at the end of the day.

Just Found Sixteen Horsepower.

REO Speedwagon.

Horde Festival, mid- 90's

Guitar, Mandolin, Banjo.

2018commo
09-22-2008, 14:53
For those of us who had 8 Tracks, Little Feat and Friends released Join the Band.
Dave Mathews does justice to Fat Man in the Bathtub, and Vince Gill redefined Dixie Chicken. Good stuff overall, in my IPOD for 5 mile Fridays.:lifter

morolen
09-22-2008, 15:34
i noticed someone mention infected mushroom, any EDM(Electronic Dance Music) lovers in here? Ive been rockin Darren Styles newish cd Skydivin', its great. Also Matrix and Futuresound-Universal Truth, a highly underrated DnB cd. If anyone wants advice for some EDM feel free to send a pm( i wont tell anyone;) ).

LarryW
01-21-2010, 20:26
Friend of mine (retired Senior Chief (E8)) in WA sent me this link.

Couldn't find it with the search engine so here it is:

http://media.causes.com/611645?p_id=44185871

Hope you enjoy it. I did.

wet dog
09-30-2010, 17:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGwUrmNI6wY

Roguish Lawyer
06-14-2013, 11:45
FOGs won't like this, but the title is "Molon Labe." :D:lifter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3-np_du52s

MAB32
06-14-2013, 18:19
On my 12 mile days:

-Prairie Fire Emergency here on this site
-War
-Lovin Spoonful
-Byrds
-The Chamber Brothers
-ELO
-Steppenwolf
-Edwin Starr
-Bubble Puppy
-Dr. Hook
-Tangerine Dream
-Nazareth
-Blackfoot
-The Outlaws
-Marshall Tucker
-Traffic
and....
-Melanie "Candles in the Rain"
-Tim Buckley "Once I was a Soldier"
-Sniff-n-Tears "Drivers Seat"
-Bob Seeger's "Come to Pappa" & Ramblin Gamblin Man"
-Kenny Rogers & The First Edition "Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in"
-The Seeds "Pushin too hard"
-The Marmalades "Reflections of my life"

:D

spiceygoggles28
06-18-2013, 07:27
Gimme Shelter Rolling Stones

This will pump you up for a HOT LZ
Every time I hear it, even to this day, I get wired-up.

Have Yards, Will Travel
Jack

BryanK
06-18-2013, 08:47
You gotta love Rob Zombie movie soundtracks :D

I'm at home gettin' hammered... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ncYSQEr2tM)

Lionshare
03-25-2015, 17:38