PDA

View Full Version : The Boogeyman Cometh

NousDefionsDoc
02-28-2005, 17:53
Updated 2/28/2005 6:02 PM

New intelligence indicate al-Qaeda planning terror operations outside Iraq

WASHINGTON (AP) - New intelligence indicates that Osama bin Laden is enlisting Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, his top operative in Iraq, to plan potential attacks on the United States, U.S. officials said Monday.

Al-Zarqawi has been involved in attacks in the Middle East but has not been known to have set his sights on U.S. soil.

The Homeland Security Department issued a classified bulletin to officials over the weekend about the intelligence, which spokesman Brian Roehrkasse described as "credible but not specific." The intelligence was obtained over the past several weeks, officials said.

The U.S. has no immediate plans to raise its national alert level, Roehrkasse said. However, the intelligence "reiterates the desire by al-Qaeda and its associates to target the homeland," he said.

Bin Laden was in contact with al-Zarqawi within the past two months in an effort to enlist him in attacks, a U.S. official said on the condition of anonymity. U.S. analysts believe this shows the al-Qaeda leadership needs to reach out to al-Zarqawi to get him involved in considering such activities outside Iraq, the official said.

Al-Zarqawi is blamed for scores of attacks in Iraq and pledged allegiance to bin Laden and the al-Qaeda network last year. Yet he has had differences with bin Laden and his efforts are considered somewhat distinct from central al-Qaeda operations.

Another administration official with access to the Homeland Security Department's bulletin said the intelligence indicates that al-Qaeda has continued to encourage al-Zarqawi, who was born in Jordan, to get involved in terrorist actions against Americans outside of Iraq, including in the United States.

"The intelligence continues to be analyzed by the intelligence community and all appropriate information will be passed on to homeland security partners," Roehrkasse said. "The department has no plans at this time to raise the threat level based on this nonspecific information."

lksteve
02-28-2005, 18:01
Updated 2/28/2005 6:02 PM

New intelligence indicate al-Qaeda planning terror operations outside Iraq

...al-Qaeda has continued to encourage al-Zarqawi, who was born in Jordan, to get involved in terrorist actions against Americans outside of Iraq, including in the United States.

any American with six brain cells should be aware of the fact that we have been targets of terrorism for the better part of the last 35 years...any American living abroad should be very sensitive to that...

did i saw any American? hmmmm...

well, i was aware of that fact a long time ago...

but if these dickheads persist, i believe in my heart, we will nail their sorry asses to the barn....

casey
02-28-2005, 20:45
any American with six brain cells should be aware of the fact that we have been targets of terrorism for the better part of the last 35 years...

You my brother have just alienated all of the Left Coast (with the exception of the sovereign State of Guyville) and most Federal Agencies I have worked with.
Nicely done Sir !!

lksteve
02-28-2005, 21:12
You my brother have just alienated all of the Left Coast (with the exception of the sovereign State of Guyville) and most Federal Agencies I have worked with.
Nicely done Sir !!

hell, i've already alienated the Placer County Department of Public Works.... ;)

casey
02-28-2005, 22:03
hell, i've already alienated the Placer County Department of Public Works.... ;)

I thought he retired???

Roguish Lawyer
02-28-2005, 22:22
Nicely done Sir !!

Thanks a lot, casey. :p

Pete
03-01-2005, 06:05
- "New intelligence indicates that Osama bin Laden is enlisting Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, his top operative in Iraq, to plan potential attacks on the United States, U.S. officials said Monday"

The thing that gets me is that some Americans think the government can make us all "safe". There is not enough money to make everybody, every street corner, every quick stop parking lot safe.

Some of the keys to making us more safe are intell, forward operations and payback operations that pound the bad guys after a strike.

Yeah, one day we'll have a bombing somewhere in the States. You watch the hand wringers come out of the woodwork. It will all be about more pork money for the elected officials in Washington to pass out to buy reelection votes.

The US is a big country, your state (the reader) is a big state, your town is a big town. What are the chances that you will be a target? What are the chances that you want to pay the big tax bucks for a cop to follow you around so you're safe? What are the chances you and the cop will get popped anyway.

Jessss, everybody, keep your eyes open and live your life. Be ready to react if needed. They can't get everybody and the ones that remain are going to be some pissed off MoFo's. After all, this is America. We'll give you a shot as us but then we'll 2x4 your ass in the dark alley of life the next night.

Pete
Plenty of 2x4s on hand for my block party if needed.

casey
03-01-2005, 07:54
Thanks a lot, casey. :p

My bad counselor. In my defense (limited though it may be), anyone of your life profession, living in or near LA, and still capable of making a right hand turn out there is widely considered the anti-Christ. I'm just lookin' to keep your deep cover intact until Guy starts passing out the takeover bandoleers and sombreros. Hence our concern over that almost TV appearance!

QRQ 30
03-01-2005, 08:03
Although we tend to get lethargic about things that happen abroad, the American People immediatly go to arms following a direct attack on our homeland.

IMHO our enemies realize this and realize that nothing could be achieved by direct attacks here. This isn't Spain. Direct terrorist attacks here would only be effective in conjunction with armed conflict and invasion from abroad. This was the danger from Communism.

I don't think effective counter-intelligence has had any more effect than the fact that terrorist attacks here could be counterr-productive. Weapons and munitions and technology are readily and easily available here. How many of you DON'T own a fire arm?

Roguish Lawyer
03-01-2005, 12:44
The thing that gets me is that some Americans think the government can make us all "safe". There is not enough money to make everybody, every street corner, every quick stop parking lot safe.

Some of the keys to making us more safe are intell, forward operations and payback operations that pound the bad guys after a strike.

Yeah, one day we'll have a bombing somewhere in the States. You watch the hand wringers come out of the woodwork. It will all be about more pork money for the elected officials in Washington to pass out to buy reelection votes.

The US is a big country, your state (the reader) is a big state, your town is a big town. What are the chances that you will be a target? What are the chances that you want to pay the big tax bucks for a cop to follow you around so you're safe? What are the chances you and the cop will get popped anyway.

Jessss, everybody, keep your eyes open and live your life. Be ready to react if needed. They can't get everybody and the ones that remain are going to be some pissed off MoFo's. After all, this is America. We'll give you a shot as us but then we'll 2x4 your ass in the dark alley of life the next night.

Pete
Plenty of 2x4s on hand for my block party if needed.

Well put, Pete. I agree.

dennisw
03-01-2005, 12:54

I also like the fact that if something does happen, its somebody's fault. How could Bush let this happen. How come somebody wasn't watching that mequite tree in the middle of bf mexico at 3am and let the terrorist through. There is no safe haven.

It's also the finger pointing and the pervasive fear that bugs the s.... out of me. Oh, we shouldn't get tough with the terrorist, they might not like us and do something bad. The only they respect is a butt kicking.

I have two sons in the military. When folks hear that they always, and I mean always ,"aren't you worried?"

How do you answer that? Yes something bad could happen, but thats how we maintain our freedom. Sacrifice. Thats what its all about. Thats why we are who we are.

I've said this before, but I usually get the "you've got two heads" look.

But the threshhold question isn't am I worried, it's how come their sons aren't serving. Its the fear. I don't want little bobby to serve, something bad might happen. No shit. Then again, Bobby might become something worthwhile, a person of substance.

Unfortunately, bobby's a greedy bastard and can't spare the time to serve his country. Or what excuse can bobby have that most of believe is worthwhile? I personally believe that our country needs all our young men now more then ever.

But i'm on a rant. sorry.

QRQ 30
03-01-2005, 12:54
I guess that what I was saying Pete and all is similar except that history shows that when we are DIRECTLY attacked, the only danger is in capsizing the boat. All of those on the left and left of center immediately rush to the right. I would not directly attack the U.S. at home without a good chance of surviving a massive retaliation. Even the Soviets knew that.