PDA

View Full Version : ABC news just called Nancy

CPTAUSRET
02-28-2005, 11:43
They want her to do an on acmera interview this afternoon.

Don't know what it's all about, don't even know if she acquiesced.

Terry

Gypsy
02-28-2005, 12:29
Well, keep us posted Sir!

CPTAUSRET
02-28-2005, 13:24
I just dropped her off at the U of Iowa Hospital, she told them that she would do it if they came to her, as opposed to Nancy going to a studio.

She was interviewed last week (not videotaped) re the Harvard President's remarks, which some consider demeaning to women. This has to do with that.

She isn't well read in on the story, so I presume she will keep it on an academic level.

Terry

CPTAUSRET
02-28-2005, 14:57
Nancy just caled, the interview is finished, it should air this evening...Peter Jennings news, or whatever it is called.

1730 local, CST.

Terry

Sacamuelas
02-28-2005, 14:59
:cool:

...more CBA points for me with my HH6. :D

CPTAUSRET
02-28-2005, 15:03
:cool:

...more CBA points for me with my HH6. :D

Good thinking!

I don't think she cut him (Summers) much slack...

Terry

Razor
02-28-2005, 15:38
I'll be watching.

CPTAUSRET
02-28-2005, 15:46
I'll be watching.

I hope it's worth your time, sometimes these segments get cut down so much that they are worthless.

Terry

The Reaper
02-28-2005, 15:50
I hope it's worth your time, sometimes these segments get cut down so much that they are worthless.

Terry

Kind of like TV appearances?

TR

CPTAUSRET
02-28-2005, 16:04

TR

Kinda like.

Martin
02-28-2005, 16:15

Terry

LOL, I remember a while ago when my dad was on the news and our dog came strolling down the stairs. When they aired it, there was a glimpse of dad and then the voices kept on in the background while the picture showed a 10 inch maltese running at full speed back and forth and in circles with no apparent logic for three minutes or so. :munchin

Roguish Lawyer
02-28-2005, 16:21

TR

Body blow! LMAO

Sacamuelas
02-28-2005, 16:36
LOL

I was sitting here hoping for an explanation. That one totally missed me until now. Ahhhh...... now I get it. haha

CPTAUSRET
02-28-2005, 17:19
Nancy's interview postponed til tomorrow night.

Same time, same station.

Terry

alphamale
02-28-2005, 19:32
Terry,

Has she ever had media training?

Just curious if she looked for it or not.

FrontSight

CPTAUSRET
02-28-2005, 19:40
Terry,

"Has she ever had media training?"

Not sure what you mean by media training, she has been interviewed many times on TV, she interviewed John Nash for the Discovery channel, etc, etc.

"Just curious if she looked for it or not."

FrontSight

FS:

Not sure what you are asking.

Terry

alphamale
03-01-2005, 00:36
Hi Terry,

Am referring to formal training in how to control the mainstream media, not vice-versa.

It's not as much a factor if the topic is relatively non-controversial *and* your opinion is aligned with the media's.
Seems like the Harvard president situation is more controversial.

ex: Techniques to make it difficult for the media to twist around what gets said.

Qs I've been asked by press...

"So you carry a gun now. Why?"
"A woman's role is to nurture. What makes you think you could actually pull the trigger on someone."
etc..

Back when I was preparing for having to be very public I was media trained for that by some pros from a certain lobbyist group. Then through required media training twice for work with $300/hours media pros before big press events.

One of the consistent messages was
- You rarely have to answer exactly the question that gets asked. Depending on the venue, the question might not get repeated on-camera anyway, only the answer. The viewers will never know what prompted you to say what you said. Therefore, make sure you make your points in the answers you give to any question.
- Or, just be dismissive of the really lame question and go back to your point.

FrontSight

Huey14
03-01-2005, 01:30
I think that'll be on night after next...I'll keep a watch out.

Pete
03-01-2005, 05:24
I think that'll be on night after next...I'll keep a watch out.

The good news is that I had to go out last night so will be able to see the spot on Nancy. The bad news is that I may now have to view two nights of the News. Oh, well.

Pete
Who has 40 acres in N/E IA that grows Oak Trees and Deer. Too long a drive to go hunting. That's what I get hitching up to a Carolina Girl.

CPTAUSRET
03-01-2005, 08:30
The good news is that I had to go out last night so will be able to see the spot on Nancy. The bad news is that I may now have to view two nights of the News. Oh, well.

Pete
Who has 40 acres in N/E IA that grows Oak Trees and Deer. Too long a drive to go hunting. That's what I get hitching up to a Carolina Girl.

Pete:

You from Iowa?

Terry

Pete
03-01-2005, 08:51
You from Iowa?

Cresco - got me 40 acres near the Upper Iowa just west of Kendallville. 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile square of hard woods, deer, coons, turkey and other assorted critters. Sorrounded on three sides by corn fields and the other side drops though a wooded draw and a friends farm down to the river.

Pete

Guy
03-01-2005, 09:18
Cresco - got me 40 acres near the Upper Iowa just west of Kendallville. 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile square of hard woods, deer, coons, turkey and other assorted critters. Sorrounded on three sides by corn fields and the other side drops though a wooded draw and a friends farm down to the river.

Pete
If I had 40 acres...
I'd buy a mule and have dead coons hanging around just to piss off...

Spike Lee
Jesse Jackson (include Jr. also)
Al Sharpton...etc.

LMMFAO! :D

CPTAUSRET
03-01-2005, 09:20

Pete

Sounds Georgeous!

We have another Iowa "boy" on board.

Terry

CPTAUSRET
03-01-2005, 14:42
If I had 40 acres...
I'd buy a mule and have dead coons hanging around just to piss off...

Spike Lee
Jesse Jackson (include Jr. also)
Al Sharpton...etc.

LMMFAO! :D

Guy:

I'll bet you would, too!

Great talking with you on the phone the other day.

Luv ya, brother.

Stay safe.

Terry

Pete
03-01-2005, 18:09
Woosh and she was gone.

Man that was quick. She looked good but you had to look fast.

Well at least I don't have to sit through two night's of ol' Peter.

Pete

CPTAUSRET
03-01-2005, 18:14
Woosh and she was gone.

Man that was quick. She looked good but you had to look fast.

Well at least I don't have to sit through two night's of ol' Peter.

Pete

Yeah, it was quick.

Nancy can be pretty outspoken, and they must not have liked what she said. She didn't cut him any slack.

Terry

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-01-2005, 19:48
Caught Nancy on the TV. Agreed with her point, but wish she had a little more air time to go further. Took a lot for me to watch that damn Jennings, but glad I did get a chance to see something worthwhile.

Jack Moroney

The Reaper
03-01-2005, 21:48
Caught Nancy on the TV. Agreed with her point, but wish she had a little more air time to go further. Took a lot for me to watch that damn Jennings, but glad I did get a chance to see something worthwhile.

Jack Moroney

Exactly, Sir!

TR

Roguish Lawyer
03-01-2005, 21:49
Missed it. What did she have to say?

CPTAUSRET
03-02-2005, 09:18

Jack Moroney

They spent about 30 minutes on her interview, and condensed it down to something like "Well I'm a woman, and I am a very successful scientist".

Pablum! They obviously didn't care much for her point of view.

She also told them that "Larry Summers is paid to be a leader, and that he ought to conduct himself accordingly"! "Something he is falling short of".

Terry

CPTAUSRET
03-03-2005, 20:37
Here is a pretty good overview article on Nancy, it isn't current, but still provides good info.

Terry

http://www.hubin.org/news/vip/andreasen/index_en.html

SnafuRacer
03-04-2005, 00:21
I knew I was gonna be at the gym, so I set the DVR to tape it. Then I was watching it, and my sister was asking about the interest. She just came to visit this week. She's studying for her Master's in pharmacology overseas. So I filled her in about the little controversy and told her that they're supposed to interview this successful doctor and related a bit of what I knew about your wife. She was impressed with her accomplishements. But unfortunately, the media bastards stuck to their bias and just showed the 2 seconds clip.
Still, Sir, you are right about being proud of your Nancy.
There might be genetical predispositions about science vs something else. But they are not the Creator, we are all just creatures. We still haven't pierced through the more intimate anatomical knowledge. This is just the latest controversy. Remember when they said that blacks couldn't fly or fight? Then some tough men from Tuskegee proved them otherwise. My 0.02.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
03-04-2005, 06:01
Here is a pretty good overview article on Nancy, it isn't current, but still provides good info.

Terry

http://www.hubin.org/news/vip/andreasen/index_en.html

Great article! With her qualifications both in English and Medicine an argument around your house could be deadly. Not only could she fillet you with your own words but would know which buttons to push in your brain housing group to boot.

Jack Moroney

CPTAUSRET
03-04-2005, 13:09
I knew I was gonna be at the gym, so I set the DVR to tape it. Then I was watching it, and my sister was asking about the interest. She just came to visit this week. She's studying for her Master's in pharmacology overseas. So I filled her in about the little controversy and told her that they're supposed to interview this successful doctor and related a bit of what I knew about your wife. She was impressed with her accomplishements. But unfortunately, the media bastards stuck to their bias and just showed the 2 seconds clip.
Still, Sir, you are right about being proud of your Nancy.
There might be genetical predispositions about science vs something else. But they are not the Creator, we are all just creatures. We still haven't pierced through the more intimate anatomical knowledge. This is just the latest controversy. Remember when they said that blacks couldn't fly or fight? Then some tough men from Tuskegee proved them otherwise. My 0.02.

SnafuRacer:

Good points, Nancy is finishing up a book on creativity in the brain, basically the neurogenesis of creativity, or how we as humans create Art, Music, Poetry, Mathmatics, etc, etc.

Terry

CPTAUSRET
03-04-2005, 13:22
Great article! With her qualifications both in English and Medicine an argument around your house could be deadly. Not only could she fillet you with your own words but would know which buttons to push in your brain housing group to boot.

Jack Moroney

Jack:

It would be nice for us all to get together sometime, Nancy is as down to earth as anyone I know. She is also the most intelligent, and hardest working individual I know.

We were arguing about something one day, and I finally said, "Well lets just look it up in the dictionary", she said "The dictionary, or the OED", I said "The dictionary", she said "Dictionaries are made up by people who make mistakes", I pointed to the large Random House unabridged dictionary on my table and said "How about that one", she got this smug look on her face, and opened it to the front where the experts in each field are listed, and utilized to make sure that alll is correct.

Nancy Andreasen, M.D., Ph.D. was listed as their expert for all things, on the Neurologic, and Psychiatric side.

It was a cute moment, but it doesn't keep me from arguing with her.

Terry

SnafuRacer
03-04-2005, 13:45
LOL. I wonder how aren't you an insomniac, Sir? :)

CPTAUSRET
03-04-2005, 13:51
LOL. I wonder how aren't you an insomniac, Sir? :)

Who said I wasn't? :D

Terry

Huey14
03-04-2005, 14:08
Damn, they've taken ABC news off of the TV. Used to be on at roughly 2300-0030 time frame. Now they've got MASH. I know which show I'd rather watch :D