PDA

View Full Version : Lights

BMT (RIP)
02-26-2005, 07:52
Steve Yon wrote about the diffirent lights used by the men in Iraq in hiis Iraqi Blog.
Jump on this one and tell me what you think is the best light and why.

BMT

Air.177
02-26-2005, 09:37
Surefire L1 WH for everyday use. I didn't realize how often I needed a light until I had one to use. One 3 volt battery lasts over a month of daily use, and the 2 stage tailcap allows you to only use as much light as you need.

I also have/use:
Inova X1: (+)Very compact, uses one AA battery, decent beam for it's size, lockout tailcap. (-) Mine went tits up after about 3 months EDC, the factory will warranty it, I just haven't sent it to RI yet

Inova X5: (+)This light is roughly the same size as the L1 and pretty much does the same job, just a little different. The L1 has One Focused LED, while the X5 has 5 LEDs that are not focused. It puts out a soft diffused light very good for up close work, and will run on 3 volt batteries your High output surefire lights have already drained. (-) Basically outperformed by the L1

Streamlight Stylus: (+)Roughly the size of a long Ink Pen, uses 3 AAAA batteries which last forever and a day. I have two of these, One in red and one in white. (-)Have you ever even seen a AAAA battery?

Surefire G2/Z2: (+)Basically the same light, just different colorful shells. Both use (2) 3 volt batteries and the P60/61 bulb from Surefire, they put out more light than a 4-D cell mag light.(-) Only last one hour, Bulbs are somewhat fragile and bulb life is highly dependant on how rough you are on them.

Surefire M6: (+) This is the largest, most powerful light readily available from surefire(not talking about "The Beast" or "Hellfire" here) Takes (6) 3 volt batteries and has a battery life of 20 minutes with the bright bulb. This thing is brutally bright and really useless to your average gringo, think Pickup truck cigarrette lighter plug in spotlight performance that you can put in your back pocket. (-) Why, Just Why?

Maglights: (+) These lights are so obsolete performance wise, they are great to loan to buddies with a bad history of returning things. The larger ones are still quite effective as clubs, an ability that appeals to my inner caveman. They usually work pretty well as flashlights, but a SF is more powerful and easier to carry. They use mainstream, widely available batteries, and the bulbs are available at every Wal-Mart and Hardware store there is. (-) These were great lights for there time, but there are now better options available.

Photon Microlights: (+) Small size, good light output for their size, wide array of colors available, Flashing strobe, SOS, and variable light output available in some models. UV and IR lights are available, as well as versions that direct the light only where it is wanted, rather than the 180 degree light output of a standard LED. (-)While there light output is good for there size, they are still rather weak in the big scheme of things, but they are better than nothing.

Thats what I have and use, YMMV

Bill Harsey
02-26-2005, 10:01
Good post Air.177.
All I can do is second the comments.
If there is a light better than SureFire for compact/high output, I haven't heard of it. I have at least three small ones around here and always keep one in my pocket for going out to the shop in the dark and often returning to the house in the same light conditions. This is country, no city lights at night.

Besides, if you keep it dark, the critters come in closer.

Photon Microlight is headquartered about 45 minutes up the road from here. I know that all of these are assembled here in Oregon.
I have several of those at all times including the one on the keychain.

I give Mag Lights to the kids.

The Reaper
02-26-2005, 13:58
Hey, BMT, where is the link?

Air:

Close, but not exactly.

The light to power formula is a scientific constant. There is no getting around it. At $1.25 each from SureFire, the 123As are about the same cost as AA Duracells.

If you go through a fresh 123A in a L1 every month, you must be using the heck out of it. The L1 runs over 50 hours continuously on the low power setting.

There are more differences between the G2 and Z2 than you observe.

The M6 is sweet, and fills a purpose. If you need one of the most powerful self-contained hand-held flashlights readily available for something, that is it. Otherwise, it is expensive and with the high-intensity MN-21 bulb, goes through batteries like a fat chick through a box of chocolates. The 10X is actually more powerful, and is a rechargeable. Makes one heck of a patrol or vehicle installed light. Dual bulbs, 60 and 500 lumens.

All are different, and serve different purposes. I carry a Photon or three for that very reason.

Anyone who runs into me and wants a Surefire catalog, just ask for it. Or check out the surefire.com website, or call the Customer Service Department there.

Lights are like guns and parachutes. If it is critical, two is one, and one is none.

TR

CPTAUSRET
02-26-2005, 14:07
Hey, BMT, where is the link?

Air:

Close, but not exactly.

The light to power formula is a scientific. There is no getting around it. At $1.25 each from SureFire, the 123As are about the same cost as AA Duracells.

If you go through a fresh 123A in a L1 every month, you must be using the heck out of it. The L1 runs over 50 hours continuously on the low power setting.

There are more differences between the G2 and Z2 than you observe.

The M6 is sweet, and fills a purpose. If you need one of the most powerful self-contained hand-held flashlights readily available for something, that is it. Otherwise, it is expensive and with the high-intensity MN-21 bulb, goes through batteries like a fat chick through a box of chocolates. The 10X is actually more powerful, and is a rechargeable. Makes one heck of a patrol or vehicle installed light. Dual bulbs, 60 and 500 lumens.

All are different, and serve different purposes. I carry a Photon or three for that very reason.

Anyone who runs into me and wants a Surefire catalog, just ask for it. Or check out the surefire.com website, or call the Customer Service Department there.

Lights are like guns and parachutes. If it is critical, two is one, and one is none.

TR

I definitely want one of these lights, I am sold!

Now I need to find some money.

Terry

BMT (RIP)
02-26-2005, 14:17
www.michaelyon.blogspot.com

Guys this is the link with the stories about diffirent lights.

BMT

NousDefionsDoc
02-26-2005, 14:53
I've got 4-5 G2/Z2, the new plastic ones. I like them alot.

The Reaper
02-26-2005, 15:10
I've got 4-5 G2/Z2, the new plastic ones. I like them alot.

Plastic is the G2 or the G2Z. The Z2 has an aluminum body.

The difference is that the G2 has a constant diameter body and the G2Z has the metal lanyard ring and a reduced mid-section with the rubber ring for the Rogers' tactical hold.

TR

Smokin Joe
02-26-2005, 16:48
Currently I have 3 Surefires:

E1, M2, and 6Z.

I hope to add the following to my collection in the next few months:

X200, E2e or the new Tacitcal LED (CRS the name) puts out like 50 or 60 lumens.

IMHO there isn't a better light out then a Surefire!

The Reaper
02-26-2005, 17:09
Currently I have 3 Surefires:

E1, M2, and 6Z.

I hope to add the following to my collection in the next few months:

X200, E2e or the new Tacitcal LED (CRS the name) puts out like 50 or 60 lumens.

IMHO there isn't a better light out then a Surefire!

I would look at the SureFire LED lights.

I like the L1, as discussed, the L2 (a two cell, two stage light, 15/100 lumens, 18 hours/1 hour), the L4 (basically an E2 with the KL4 LED head, 65 lumens for 2.5 hours), the 10X as a patrol light, the X200 handgun light (once the pressure pad switches are out), and the M600A Scout Light for a long gun (4.5 oz., 65 lumens, 3 hours, built-in Picatinny mount).

Just some things to think about.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
02-26-2005, 17:20
TR:

If I wanted to carry a light with me at all times, in my pocket, which one would you recommend? E2E?

RL

The Reaper
02-26-2005, 18:00
TR:

If I wanted to carry a light with me at all times, in my pocket, which one would you recommend? E2E?

RL

Like other recommendations, the answer is it depends on what you want to do with it, how critical is it that it absolutely work everytime, and how much you want to spend. I suspect that you want to use the light for the usual civilian purposes, like looking for something you dropped, reading or writing in the dark, or finding the light switch, or navigating. If you have serious social purposes in mind, like stunning someone ot lighting them up at 25 meters to engage with a firearm, that would require more lumens.

Eventually, any light with an incandescent bulb bulb will fail. The LED will not, and the batteries will last significantly longer with the LED. On the downside, the LED lights cost significantly more.

You should consider the E1 Executive ($78 MSRP, incandescent, but the smallest, 15 lumens, 1.5 hours, 2.2 oz., 3.3" long, a nice gentlemen's pocket light), L1 Lumamax ($125 MSRP, slightly larger, once cell, two stage, Red, Green, Blue, or White LEDs, .7/15 lumens, 50 hours/2 hours, 2.9 oz., 4.6", my favorite up close), the L4 ($160 MSRP, two cell, one-stage, 65 lumens, 2.5 hours, 3.4 oz., 5.05", very flexible, the counterpart to the 6v. incandescent SureFire lights), or if you have the space to carry it and want to do all of the above, the L2 ($165 MSRP, two-cell, two-stage, 15/100 lumens, 18 hours/1 hour, 4.2 oz., 6.06" my favorite "do it all" light).

Hope that helps, do you need pictures?

TR

CPTAUSRET
02-26-2005, 18:15

Always!!

Sacamuelas
02-26-2005, 18:18
Now I need to find some money.
Terry

:eek: You're killing me Terry. Just sell ONE of the ten houses you and Nancy own or maybe ONE of the dozen high end sports cars. Damn rich MD, PHD, XYZLMNOP,etc famous scientific scholars.... ;) LOL

sorry, couldn't resist CPT

Edit to add: This thread makes me think we need a ....
GROUPBUY :munchin

Roguish Lawyer
02-26-2005, 18:53

Thanks, but the Surefire web site has plenty.

The Reaper
02-26-2005, 19:01
:eek: You're killing me Terry. Just sell ONE of the ten houses you and Nancy own or maybe ONE of the dozen high end sports cars. Damn rich MD, PHD, XYZLMNOP,etc famous scientific scholars.... ;) LOL

GROUPBUY :munchin

Hey, Toothpuller, you want to spend many hours of planning, coordinating, listening to bitching, figuring out which of 200 models is most desired (Leatherman had three), listen to whining about the company/owner's politics, front $100 each for these, collect money, wait for delivery, listen to complaining about delivery, unpack, repack, and ship, and listen to kvetching, determine final expense and send off check to charity, have at it.

I'll just call and order whatever I want myself and skip the lost time and headaches.

TR

Smokin Joe
02-26-2005, 19:05
I would look at the SureFire LED lights.

I like the L1, as discussed, the L2 (a two cell, two stage light, 15/100 lumens, 18 hours/1 hour), the L4 (basically an E2 with the KL4 LED head, 65 lumens for 2.5 hours), the 10X as a patrol light, the X200 handgun light (once the pressure pad switches are out), and the M600A Scout Light for a long gun (4.5 oz., 65 lumens, 3 hours, built-in Picatinny mount).

Just some things to think about.

TR

Sir, Its like your hardwired to my brain. Those are the exact combs I want but until I can re-fi the house its going to be baby steps.

My Dad got the 10X last year. :eek: OMFG is that thing badass.

Roguish Lawyer
02-26-2005, 19:05
I ordered a G2 as a "tester" light. If I like it, I'll be back for something more high speed.

The Reaper
02-26-2005, 19:10
I ordered a G2 as a "tester" light. If I like it, I'll be back for something more high speed.

If you can ever break out of your busy schedule, I can show you all of them sometime.

The G-2 is a great entry level light.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
02-26-2005, 19:12
Hey, Toothpuller, you want to spend many hours of planning, coordinating, listening to bitching, figuring out which of 200 models is most desired (Leatherman had three), listen to whining about the company/owner's politics, front $100 each for these, collect money, wait for delivery, listen to complaining about delivery, unpack, repack, and ship, and listen to kvetching, determine final expense and send off check to charity, have at it.

I'll just call and order whatever I want myself and skip the lost time and headaches.

TR

I am very pleased with my Leatherman tool and very much appreciate the efforts of everyone who worked so hard on that group buy.

Saca:

Get to work!

Roguish Lawyer
02-26-2005, 19:12
If you can ever break out of your busy schedule, I can show you all of them sometime.

You have a deal!

The Reaper
02-26-2005, 19:35

Always!!

Well, since you asked Cap, here goes, left to right:

E1, E1 w/KL1 LED head, L1, E2e, L4, 6P, A2, L2, and a light body from the turning center. X200 is in the front.

The body is to show people that unlike I assumed, SureFire does not buy tubular stock and turn it, but buys solid extruded bar stock and bores it out after turning.

TR

The Reaper
02-26-2005, 19:37
Reverse sequence with (un)common objects for size comparison.

L2, A2, 6P, L4, E2e, L1, E1 w/ KL1, E1.

Hope that helps.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
02-26-2005, 19:40
The comparison objects are very helpful. On the Surefire site, the lack of same makes the lights look bigger than they really are.

CPTAUSRET
02-26-2005, 20:15
[QUOTE=Sacamuelas]:eek: You're killing me Terry. Just sell ONE of the ten houses you and Nancy own or maybe ONE of the dozen high end sports cars. Damn rich MD, PHD, XYZLMNOP,etc famous scientific scholars.... ;) LOL

Saca:

I am sure I deserved that! ;)lol

But Nancy tells me that we are broke, and will remain so until we sell the Iowa City house, or the Albuquerque house. No doubt she is correct.

Terry

Air.177
02-27-2005, 00:34
TR,
Duly noted on the G2 vs. Z2 vs. G2Z vs. 6P statement. What I meant was the the performance of all of these lights is the same, and they differ in the composition and style of their exterior body.

You are correct, the L1 will last considerably longer than I am using the batteries, I change them because after about a month, sometimes two, the battery has become depleted enough that it only functions on Low beam. This is unacceptable so long as I am able to afford new batteries, thus I replace the batteries before they are completely flat.

Here's one for you though:
I have seen a number of fittings for sale in various places that allow one to fit the head from say, a 6P onto an Executive series light. Does anyone out there know where I can get a fitting that will allow me to fit a KL series head to a 6P or similar size light?

Now we're getting off into the Flashlight Minutia that Puts most folks to sleep.

One more thing, Anyone else seen/handled one of the New "Thunder Ranch Illumination systems" from Streamlight yet? We got them in the store this week and while I do not care for them as a whole, they do have some interesting features such as the so called "Tiger ring" :rolleyes:

Ok, ok Stop laughing and rolling your eyes for long enough to hear me out here. The "Tiger Ring" is basically an O-ring that has a small snaplink through it and is connected to the light in much the same manner as a lanyard would be. The thumb of the hand you intend to use the light with is then put through the ring and it allows the light to hang across the back of the hand when not in use. It basically acts in the same way as a lanyard, only with much less bulk and BS than a lanyard. I like the idea of this and need to play with it more. We are working on a retrofit kit for the surefire lights to be used similarly.

Oh, Link:TRIS (http://www.streamlight.com/tris.htm)

That is all

The Reaper
02-27-2005, 01:01
Here's one for you though:
I have seen a number of fittings for sale in various places that allow one to fit the head from say, a 6P onto an Executive series light. Does anyone out there know where I can get a fitting that will allow me to fit a KL series head to a 6P or similar size light?

Hey, if you have an internet connection there, why not just look that up on the SureFire website.

"The KL5 LED conversion head provides your 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3 flashlights flashlight to high-intensity LED technology. This is no typical low-output LED system – the KL5 uses selected ultra-bright 5-watt LEDs. When powered by two 123A Lithium batteries the KL5 produces a maximum of 65 lumens of light for an hour - more than a typical four D-cell alkaline flashlight - and provides over 3 hours of total useful light. LEDs not only provide the ultimate in shock-resistance, they also provide extended runtime since they produce light more efficiently at low wattage; a battery too depleted to run an incandescent lamp can still produce usable light from an LED. The KL5 is CNC machined from aerospace-grade aluminum and coated in a military specification Type III hard-anodized finish, and features an anti-reflective coated Pyrex® window. The KL5’s digital current regulation circuitry matches the LED's current requirements with battery output, maintaining a more consistent level of light output for the useable life of the batteries, unlike unregulated lights that are subject to a steady decline in light intensity beginning shortly after activation. This circuitry also protects the LED module from current and heat-related damage. Many LED flashlight manufacturers inflate the light output and usable runtimes of their LEDs, but SureFire provides realistic output and runtime specifications based on scientifically obtained measurements. Athough any LEDs can produce negligible light output for over 100 hours, the amount of useful light produced is of a shorter duration.

Fits SureFire 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3 flashlights
Output/runtime - Maximum output of 65 lumens white light for one hour, followed by over 2 hours of useful light.
Construction - CNC machined aerospace-grade aluminum with hard anodized OD finish for extreme corrosion and wear-resistance
Pyrex® window
Flawless beam, no dark spots or rings
Length: 2.19" / Bezel: 1.47" / Weight: 2.8 oz."

militarymoron
02-27-2005, 01:49
instead of copying and pasting, i'll just link to my pages that i have the lights that i have/use on (with pics too! :D ):
Personal lights (http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/illumination.html)
Weapons lights (http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/wlights.html)
cheers,
MM

Huey14
02-27-2005, 01:51
I have a 4D Maglite. Relatively cheap and I can use it as a baton if needed. Space and weight arn't a problem for me.

Air.177
02-27-2005, 22:05
Hey, if you have an internet connection there, why not just look that up on the SureFire website.

"The KL5 LED conversion head provides your 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3 flashlights flashlight to high-intensity LED technology. This is no typical low-output LED system – the KL5 uses selected ultra-bright 5-watt LEDs. When powered by two 123A Lithium batteries the KL5 produces a maximum of 65 lumens of light for an hour - more than a typical four D-cell alkaline flashlight - and provides over 3 hours of total useful light. LEDs not only provide the ultimate in shock-resistance, they also provide extended runtime since they produce light more efficiently at low wattage; a battery too depleted to run an incandescent lamp can still produce usable light from an LED. The KL5 is CNC machined from aerospace-grade aluminum and coated in a military specification Type III hard-anodized finish, and features an anti-reflective coated Pyrex® window. The KL5’s digital current regulation circuitry matches the LED's current requirements with battery output, maintaining a more consistent level of light output for the useable life of the batteries, unlike unregulated lights that are subject to a steady decline in light intensity beginning shortly after activation. This circuitry also protects the LED module from current and heat-related damage. Many LED flashlight manufacturers inflate the light output and usable runtimes of their LEDs, but SureFire provides realistic output and runtime specifications based on scientifically obtained measurements. Athough any LEDs can produce negligible light output for over 100 hours, the amount of useful light produced is of a shorter duration.

Fits SureFire 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3 flashlights
Output/runtime - Maximum output of 65 lumens white light for one hour, followed by over 2 hours of useful light.
Construction - CNC machined aerospace-grade aluminum with hard anodized OD finish for extreme corrosion and wear-resistance
Pyrex® window
Flawless beam, no dark spots or rings
Length: 2.19" / Bezel: 1.47" / Weight: 2.8 oz."

Too big. Yeah, it may be effective, but it is bigger than what I prefer. I would be much happier with a KL-4 head on a 6P or a G2. But, what do I know, I'm just a counter jock.

Just my .02

The Reaper
02-27-2005, 22:08
I have a 4D Maglite. Relatively cheap and I can use it as a baton if needed. Space and weight arn't a problem for me.

I think you would be surprised, unless you need an impact weapon and prefer to use your light for that.

Air.177:

Too expensive for a KL4 head.

Might as well buy an L4 and sell the 6P.

TR

Air.177
02-27-2005, 22:16
I think you would be surprised, unless you need an impact weapon and prefer to use your light for that.

Air.177:

Too expensive for a KL4 head.

Might as well buy an L4 and sell the 6P.

TR
TR,
All due respect sir, the KL5 head is more expensive than the KL4

The Reaper
02-27-2005, 22:26
TR,
All due respect sir, the KL5 head is more expensive than the KL4

So why not replace it with an L4?

Same batteries, same LED head, no conversion required.

Make the 6P a vehicle light or a backup.

TR

Huey14
02-28-2005, 00:22

TR

Well I'm not allowed to carry anything deemed offensive, but the biggest heaviest torch is perfectly legal ;)

L51
02-28-2005, 22:53
You can never go wrong with Surefire lights. I have a Z2, G2Z, E2e, and a X200 for my SA Operator. I met Ichiro Nagata on Saturday and after seeing his L2, I went out and bought one today. I really like the two stage capability.

The Reaper
02-28-2005, 23:16
You can never go wrong with Surefire lights. I have a Z2, G2Z, E2e, and a X200 for my SA Operator. I met Ichiro Nagata on Saturday and after seeing his L2, I went out and bought one today. I really like the two stage capability.

Ichiro is a wild man, isn't he?

TR

Smokin Joe
03-01-2005, 06:36
Cool compare and contrast sight here (http://www.knivesandtools.com/en/help/flashlights-comparison.htm?dist=20m&flashlight1=20msfdominatorhigh.JPG&flashlight2=20mml2c.JPG)

TR,

Sir, have you had a chance to check out the surefire U2 yet? If so what are your impressions of it?

Para
03-01-2005, 07:03
GROUPBUY

Well you should have been hangin' around in 3rd's AO over the last few months for their "Warrior Kit" issue. :p Got the 6P and M951P amongst the Suunto, eTrex, leatherman, Peltor Liberator, Kelty, etc...

The Reaper
03-01-2005, 09:19
U2 is okay, but is a bit bulky. I prefer the smaller two-stage lights.

Para, I would love to see a list of what they are passing out for gear.

TR

Smokin Joe
03-01-2005, 09:44
U2 is okay, but is a bit bulky. I prefer the smaller two-stage lights.

Para, I would love to see a list of what they are passing out for gear.

TR

I was thinking about using it as a general purpose duty light. I'm using an M2 now but I hate having to buy bulbs and batteries for it.

Para
03-01-2005, 10:46
Let's see:

Suunto Vector
Surefire 6P and M951P (rail mount version)
Garmin eTrex
Crimson Trace laser grips
Safariland holster (although they bought the Sig version and not the Beretta)
Petzl headlamp
Peltor TCI Liberator
Leatherman Supertool
Kelty MAP 3500
Elbow and knee pads
Hatch Operator Shorty gloves
Blackhawk CQB belt
Wiley X goggles

Next round is suppose to include:

the ACU compliment
Oakley boots
Lowa boots
Eagle CIRAS (that 7th Group got from us as they deployed)

L51
03-01-2005, 15:44
Ichiro is a wild man, isn't he?

TR

He was pretty quiet all day. He didn't shoot that day because he was Takinge pictures for an article that Scotty wrote for the upcoming Combat Tactics magazine that Surefire/ Guns & Ammo put out. He did show me some of the low-light stuff that they are teaching at the Surefire Institute. I will say that from what I saw, the man has some skills....

Anyone been to the Surefire Institute?

Air.177
03-01-2005, 15:53

:munchin

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

The Reaper
03-01-2005, 16:07

Yeah, I have been to one or two of their classes.

Did you have a question about anything in particular?

TR

Team Sergeant
03-01-2005, 16:19

Yes.

TS

Guy
03-01-2005, 17:13
:munchin

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

::Looks up at the sky and asks GOD::

"I don't know what I did wrong however, PLEASE STOP!" :D

Anyone been to the SureFire Institute?

I'm in your AO. I can get to you face-to-face quicker than you think. :lifter

L51
03-01-2005, 17:22
Who were the instructors? How was the instruction? Would it be worth investing in? From what I've seen on the website it looks pretty good, but they also offer handgun, carbine and shotgun courses. What is the quality of training and what type of exercises did you do?

Team Sergeant
03-01-2005, 18:17
Who were the instructors? How was the instruction? Would it be worth investing in? From what I've seen on the website it looks pretty good, but they also offer handgun, carbine and shotgun courses. What is the quality of training and what type of exercises did you do?

Bill Murphy & Doug Martin, go to the website and check out the instructors?

Guess it depends on what you do? Are you an LEO? Military?

The Reaper
03-01-2005, 21:43

1. Murphy and Martin, like the SFI website states.

2. Excellent to merely good, depending on where you come from.

3. Depends on who you are and what you need.

4. Depends on the class. The Low-Light classes use classroom instruction combines with live fire and force on force training involving Simunitions. The weapons classes have a low-light aspect, but no force on force.

I think that if you carry a gun in your job, it should be mandatory training.

TR

L51
03-01-2005, 21:50
Guess it depends on what you do? Are you an LEO? Military?

LEO and Defensive Tactics instructor. Low-light training is one area where my depts. training program is seriously lacking. And we are just starting to use Sims for active shooter and scenario training.

Team Sergeant
03-01-2005, 21:55
LEO and Defensive Tactics instructor. Low-light training is one area where my depts. training program is seriously lacking. And we are just starting to use Sims for active shooter and scenario training.

Well then Sir, give Bill a call! He's an LEO with tons of experience!

L51
03-01-2005, 22:28
Well then Sir, give Bill a call! He's an LEO with tons of experience!

Roger that and thanks!!

Smokin Joe
03-01-2005, 23:36

Well hey at least your not the only one. :rolleyes:

L51 GO even if you have to go on your own dime.

Or get a hold of Bill I met him at gunsite a few years ago he's good people. His agency as a very impressive hit ratio when it comes to real gunfights.

Roguish Lawyer
03-03-2005, 00:05
Got my G2 today. Much smaller than I expected and VERY cool!

I put it in my gun safe. LMAO

The Reaper
03-03-2005, 00:08
Got my G2 today. Much smaller than I expected and VERY cool!

I put it in my gun safe. LMAO

Counsel, as your Samoan Attorney, I recommend that you take it out of your gunsafe and put it by your bed.

Don't forget lights for each car, the office, and your travel kit.

Fair warning, the one you have will be confiscated by Catwoman.

Don't forget to order spare batteries from SureFire. They are expensive otherwise.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
03-03-2005, 07:18
Counsel, as your Samoan Attorney, I recommend that you take it out of your gunsafe and put it by your bed.

It is actually in my pocket. Thought about turning off my car's headlights on the way in to work and just shining the thing through the window, it's so bright. ;)

If I left this anywhere my kids could get to it, they would run down the batteries in a couple of days. Flashlights are great fun for them; we go through batteries like there is no tomorrow.

Roger on the cars, etc. But now I need to evaluate many options to determine what I can justify buying in light of my dubious needs. :D

The Reaper
03-03-2005, 08:33
It is actually in my pocket. Thought about turning off my car's headlights on the way in to work and just shining the thing through the window, it's so bright. ;)

If I left this anywhere my kids could get to it, they would run down the batteries in a couple of days. Flashlights are great fun for them; we go through batteries like there is no tomorrow.

Roger on the cars, etc. But now I need to evaluate many options to determine what I can justify buying in light of my dubious needs. :D

1. If it comes on in your pocket, you will notice it pretty quickly. Hope there isn't another reason that you are packing there.

2. Lawyer, driving to work in the dark? Go on, tell us another one!! I have tried driving like that, and it tends to attract attention.

3. If you had another model, you could rotate the tailcap and lock-out the on-off button. That could save you on batteries. $15 a dozen from SureFire.

4. That is an inexpensive light for what it does. Like a gun or good knife, if you ever really need one, you will not regret the money you spent on it.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
03-03-2005, 08:52
I can't get that Manfred Mann song out of my head now. ;)

Sacamuelas
03-03-2005, 09:11
RL.. give the G2 to the wife and get yourself a Z2. It has the lockout cap TR mentioned and is made tougher. I love mine and it functions as the sidekick to my CCW at bedside.

Or hold out and get in on a groupbuy with me on one of the other models... I am about to commence Operation Lightsaber to find someone with connections to get me a good deal on a couple of Surefire lights. :D

Roguish Lawyer
03-03-2005, 09:41
Or hold out and get in on a groupbuy with me on one of the other models... I am about to commence Operation Lightsaber to find someone with connections to get me a good deal on a couple of Surefire lights. :D

Good luck to you. I'm in if you somehow find such a person.

Air.177
03-03-2005, 10:52
2. Lawyer, driving to work in the dark? Go on, tell us another one!! I have tried driving like that, and it tends to attract attention.
TR

Yeah, In my old Jeep with no top, no doors, and the windshield folded down, My M6 worked like a champ as a headlight, but yes, it does attract all kinds of attention.

Razor
03-03-2005, 12:37
If I left this anywhere my kids could get to it, they would run down the batteries in a couple of days.

If they're anything like my kids, the batteries would be dead in a couple hours. This is why any flashlights the kids get now are equipped with LED bulbs and rechargable AAs or AAAs--much cheaper in the long run.

Roguish Lawyer
03-03-2005, 13:56
If they're anything like my kids, the batteries would be dead in a couple hours.

Yeah, they are. But I was afraid to overstate the run time for fear of The Reaper. :eek: ;)

The Reaper
03-03-2005, 14:05
Yeah, they are. But I was afraid to overstate the run time for fear of The Reaper. :eek: ;)

One hour on continuously, if it doesn't melt down first.

The lights get very hot, and can ignite nearby materials.

The Surefire batteries have a thermal breaker installed that shut them off after they hit a certain temperature. Not all 123A batteries do.

If you are using it intermittently, the life is significantly longer.

Don't fear The Reaper.

TR

Smokin Joe
03-03-2005, 20:53
Click Me! (http://mknx.com/v/cowbell.wmv)

(Its the only video I could find)

hoepoe
03-04-2005, 03:45
Any recommendations as to where to buy clear and red lenses for a Surefire 6Z online? The red lens should be a flip.
I know about the Surefire site, wondering if there's anything else (cheaper?).

Thanks

Hoepoe

edited to add: irrelavent, have since located the local agent for SureFire.

Smokin Joe
03-10-2005, 11:37
Gentlemen,

Does anyone know if the KL5 head and the Z49 tailcap will fit on the 6Z light?

Thank you for any help.

hoepoe
03-10-2005, 11:58
Gentlemen,

Thank you for any help.
SJ, i have no idea, but when i had a query to SureFire Customer support, they answered within a few hours and were indeed very helpful. I would try there.

Hoepoe

Air.177
03-10-2005, 14:07
Gentlemen,

Thank you for any help.
Ask Guy

LMAO!!

The Reaper
03-11-2005, 09:47
SJ, i have no idea, but when i had a query to SureFire Customer support, they answered within a few hours and were indeed very helpful. I would try there.

Hoepoe

Exactly.

SJ, call the Customer Service reps.

TR

Smokin Joe
03-11-2005, 11:01
Exactly.

SJ, call the Customer Service reps.

TR

Roger that, Sir.

Roguish Lawyer
03-11-2005, 13:10
Yes, I was surprised by how good their customer service is.