PDA

View Full Version : Just received another book on SOG...

MAB32
02-24-2005, 18:43
I just received Mr. Frank Greco's book "Running Recon" and I cannot put it down!

I know this "review" is going out of order of the reviews I stated I would do but I cannot help it. The pictures in themselves are nothing short of mini encyclopedias of SOG and their equipment and there are lots of them! This book is definately "A MUST HAVE" for the SOG historian and/or student. My favorite part of the book at this time is the "Map Section" whereby familiar names of targets and AO's that are only mentioned by name in all of the other books are now shown on maps. AO's and targets, such as Lima-9, the Golfcourse, Dollar Lake, and others are now pinpointed on DoD maps so you get an idea of how far across the fence these heroes went and what the terrain was like around these spots. Doing "Living History" on SOG has always been laking and difficult to explain in this area to people because of no maps to refer to showing where these places were. Nowadays, young people have a real hard time locating a place called Vietnam let alone know that there was even a war fought there. It is just not given that much of a write-up in kid's history books, jeez in some schools they now teach kids that the attack on Pear Harbor was our fault and that we made it happen because of our aggression towards the Japanese. :confused:

Anyways, I cannot reccommend this book enough. Use the Map Section to locate areas that Plaster refers to in his book "SOG, Secret Commandos" and things really start to open up. :)

BMT (RIP)
02-24-2005, 19:11
Damn sounds like I need to make a low level leaflet drop in Franks AO!!

BMT

Ambush Master
02-24-2005, 20:04
I picked up a copy at the last SOAR. It is a good reference !!

Later
Martin

QRQ 30
02-24-2005, 21:03
If anyone finds one for considerably less than $80. let me know. I'm just a poor OLD isabled vet. :boohoo

MAB32
02-27-2005, 18:33
For those of you want to save approximately $30.00 on the book, here is the place that I bought mine from:

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.c...31673&meta_id=1
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=1262831673&meta_id=1

Once most of you SOG Warriors have the book, I hope you will be willing to comment on its content and be willing to give us more of those: "Jeez, I remember when we..." stories! :munchin

Again, Thanks to all of you SOG Warriors who had proven time and time again back then that just because you were always out numbered, outgunned, surrounded, and allot of times had nowhere to run, you stood your ground, did what needed to be done and never gave up and still won the battle! :)

You ALL are "Roll Models" to those of us who carry a weapon daily and to all soilders who are on the battlefield today.