PDA

View Full Version : EU on Chinese weapons embargo

Martin
02-21-2005, 06:37
This has been coming for a while, but the article sums it up quite well. :(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37089-2005Feb19.html?sub=AR
Feeding the Dragon, Hurting the Alliance
Why is Europe Eager to Sell Arms to China?
By Daniel Blumenthal and Thomas Donnelly
Sunday, February 20, 2005; Page B05

aricbcool
02-21-2005, 14:46
Interesting read. Is the EU really that jealous of the US that they would actually follow through with it? We'll see.

I'd like to know why we don't threaten some sort of trade embargo or something. Aren't we (the US) the biggest exporter from China?

--Aric

Martin
02-25-2005, 12:32
Interesting read. Is the EU really that jealous of the US that they would actually follow through with it? We'll see.

I'd like to know why we don't threaten some sort of trade embargo or something. Aren't we (the US) the biggest exporter from China?

--Aric

The US has threatened to halt some technology sharing with the EU, especially military such. This might be a cause of concern with the British especially, who has $2 billion invested in the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

Both European and American companies have been able to sell to China, such as Rolls Rolls engines, items that can be used militarily without extraordinary imagination. That obviously is different from all out arms related sales.

And, Israel has not ratified the ban.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
02-25-2005, 15:12
This is all about greed, plain and simple. The EU defense industries are on their ass and with the requirement to maintain their budgets within 3 (?) % of their GDP unless they sell defense equipment abroad they cannot afford to maintain their own force much less modernize it. The EU could care less about what China has for arms, they are not going to have to face it but we, the Japanese and the rest of the Pacific Rim are. It is the same scenario with NK and the nukes, the EU does not perceive it as a threat to them. Watch this closely, I bet Japan goes nuclear in the near future not only as a deterence from NK but China. Just my opinion.

Jack Moroney

Huey14
02-25-2005, 18:08
The article was hardly written in the most unbias tones.

At the end of the day, China will get the technology, either through reverse engineering it themselves or buying from the Russians.

dennisw
02-26-2005, 14:26
In Lt. Col. Robert Patterson's book Dereliction of Duty on pages 8 - 11 he talks about how Bill gave away technology to his friends of which one was Red China. Thanks for nothing Bill. Can you imagine who would rate this guy 2nd best president of all time. We're not in Kansas anymore.